PDA

View Full Version : PSD NBA Round Table Presents: 1st Round Predictions

ManRam
04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3501/roundtable1.png
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6778/roundtable4.png
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9928/roundtable3.png

Welcome to ProSportsDaily.com's Round Table discussion group. This is a continued series here at PSD where we pose a question to our writing staff and they answer. We took a break for a while due to a variety of issues, but are back again with hopes of sparking some more discussion. Expect more frequent installments from here on out. This is the second installment...

This week we bring you our Conference Quarter Finals Predictions. We polled all the members on how they thought the series would play out, and recieved a write-up for each series from an individual member.

Here is how we collectively predict the First Round to play out:

Chicago Bulls (4), Indiana Pacers (1)
Miami Heat (4), Philadelphia 76ers (1)
Boston Celtics (4), New York Knicks (2)
Orlando Magic (4), Atlanta Hawks (2)

San Antonio Spurs (4), Memphis Grizzlies (1)
Los Angeles Lakers (4), New Orleans Hornets (1)
Portland Trailblazers (4), Dallas Mavericks (3)
Oklahoma City Thunder (4), Denver Nuggets (2)

And here are the write-ups. Feel free to critique and comment! Hope it's not too long for you all!

Chicago Bulls vs. Indiana Pacers
A matchup between a resurgent Pacers club under interim coach Frank Vogel and a hard-nosed defensive squad spearheaded by first year coach Tom Thibodeau and emerging superstar Derrick Rose may seem like a one-sided affair on paper. And in a lot of ways, it may be. However, this Pacers squad showed some resiliency in their last game against this Chicago team, with Tyler Hansbrough, the second year forward out of North Carolina, establishing himself as a solid bench contributor.

The Pacers are playing with a freshly instilled confidence with some recent words from forward Danny Granger saying that the Bulls would be easier to beat than the Celtics. However, you'll find that most Bulls would agree. This is a group that knows they have not won anything yet and it is that fire and hunger that will propel them in this series. I could see Indiana pulling out a game at home if they catch fire from behind the arc, perhaps (which has seemed to plague the Bulls in a few of their losses this season). Otherwise, this will be a quick series with the better coached and more talented team prevailing.
Bulls in 5.

Miami Heat vs. Philadelphia 76ers

Season series: 0-3- The first meeting was in PHI, the remainin were played at American Airlines Arena

Matchups:
PG: Bibby vs. Holiday- Bibby has never ben known as a good defender, especially in pick and roll situations, so expect Jrue Holiday to run circles around him offensively.
Edge: Sixers

SG: Wade vs. Meeks- This is the matchup MIA must exploit. Meeks is simply not quick or strong enough to be able to guard Wade attacking the basket, let alone posting up, something Wade loves to do against smaller guards.
Edge: Heat

SF: LeBron vs. Iguodala- This matchup is the interesting one. Iggy is known as a good on-ball defender, and on the offensive end can be very dangerous. Having any on your roster that can force James to play some D is a plus. However, this is LeBron we are talking about. LeBron simply just has too many skillsets for anyone to be able to hold him down for long, especially when he's in attack mode, against a PHI frontline that isn't very intimidating.

PF: Bosh vs. Brand- Again, another interesting matchup. Elton Brand can be a handful under the basket, grabbing offensive rebounds and all out grit. However, the fact that he's undersized and doesn't have any quickness will ultimately be his downfall.

C: Ilgauskas vs. Hawes- Ugh.....well, Hawes and Ilgauskas have similar, if not the same offensive game. Both are over 7 feet tall and can shoot from mid-range. Hawes may be a bit quicker than Ilgauskas at the 5 spot, but then again, who isn't? (this matchup is very irrelevant)
Edge: Even

Bench: This could and most likely will be the glaring issue in this series. PHI brings Lou Williams, Thaddeus Young, Mareese Speights, etc... Lou Williams is the key here, and nobody off MIA's bench can even hope to contain him if he's locked in. MIA's only hope in matching the Sixers' youth off the bench is for Mike Miller and Eddie House to hit their three's when open, and Joel Anthony to continue the outstanding he's shown for the past two weeks
Edge: Sixers

Key players: For the Heat, it's Chris Bosh. If he can outwork and out muscle Brand on the boards and in the painted area, it will make PHI's defense vulnerable to drives and cuts on the part of LeBron and Wade. For the Sixers, it's Lou Williams. He's isn't anywhere close to 100% according to reports, and if he's healthy enough to contribute the way he did the Sixers' last visit to Miami, the heat could be in for a tougher series.

Series Prediction: This is the first playoff experience for this current heat team in the "big 3 era" and it's to be exciting initially. This is however the first time Bosh has been on a team that's under the microscope, and hasn't been past the first round in 7 years of playing. However, LeBron, Wade, Bibby, Ilgauskas, House,....I could go on, have been there before. Can't say the same for PHI, as they are still a young team trying to find their way. Plus, they're runnning into a very motivated Heat team. That spells trouble.

Heat in 5

Boston Celtics vs. New York Knicks
The Knicks - Celtics series is one to keep an eye on. Both teams made big deals around the deadline involving starters and key role players, completely changing the gameplan for either team. The Knicks, acquiring Carmelo Anthony, are now a team that can put up 125 on any given night. They still struggle on the boards, and they wont play much defense, but they'll certainly score.

The Celtics traded away their starting center Kendrick Perkins. He was KG's partner in crime on the block, and they created one of the best 4-5 defensive pairings in all of the NBA. Doc and crew valued a legitimate Paul Pierce backup more, but was it the right move? That is yet to be determined.

Luckily for the C's, their lack of a defensive big man at the center position shouldn't play a huge role against the Knicks. This is going to be a fast paced series that is going to be determined by whether or not the Celtics can gel in time for the playoffs, as well as get the two O'Neals back on the court and healthy.

At the end of the day, the C's have too much depth and experience, and they win the series in 6 games. Both teams will steal a road game, but the Knicks wont be able to get over the hump against the playoff-proven Celtics.

Orlando Magic vs. Atlanta Hawks
Season Series: Hawks won 3-1. The scoring margin for the season series was +3.75 for Atlana, so it was a very even season series.

Matchups:
PG: Nelson vs Hinrich: Many feel that Nelson is the biggest x-factor for the Magic. Nelson, when aggressive is the best play-maker the Magic have. Hinrich has been underwhelming since getting to Atlanta, but he’s still a shooting threat, and the Magic need to be aware.
Edge: Magic

SG: Richardson vs Johnson: Johnson has had a quiet season; his three point shooting has been down big time this year. He’s gotta be more like the Joe Johnson of last year if they have a chance. Richardson just needs to be consistent. The Magic need him to be more than just a three point threat.
Edge: Hawks

SF: Hedo vs. Smith: I’m guessing the Hawks will go back to having Horford and Collins start, thus pushing Smith to the 3. Smith has had another really solid year, and Hedo has had another really inconsistent year. He’ll be asked to do a lot play-making, and asked to take some big shots. They'll need him to step up

PF: Bass/Anderson vs Horford: Bass and Anderson have been getting about identical minutes lately. Horford is an all-star and is quietly having an amazing season yet again. We all know what he can do, and he's incredibly solid and consistent.

C: Howard vs Collins: Collins is not a Howard stopper; I think that was more of a fluke than anything, and fully expect Howard to dominate this series.
Edge: Magic

Bench: Huge x-factor for the Magic here. JJ Redick went down and the Magic bench went from asset to liability. Anderson has been huge, but Arenas, Quentin, Duhon and JJ have suffered injuries hampering them at variable levels. JJ expects to play in game one, but as of now, the edge has to go to Atlanta with Crawford, Williams, Pachulia and Teague.

Series Prediction: This is an example where paper match-ups really can be thrown out. I think the Hawks win 3 out of 5 match ups, and have the better bench, but I don’t think they’ll win. Orlando’s defense is far superior, and Howard is just too dominant. The Hawks are reeling, whereas the Magic are playing some pretty solid basketball these last 5 or so games. The Hawks won’t get swept this time, but I can’t see them winning this.
Magic in 6.

San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies

Season Series: 2-2. Both teams won their home games. San Antonio's two victories came with a +5.5 scoring margin, Memphis's two victories came with a +11.5 scoring margin.

Matchups:
PG: Conley vs Parker: Conley's job will be to get teammates good looks, and try and keep the playoff tested Parker from going off.
Edge: Spurs

SG: Allen vs Ginoboli. Obviously this matchup changes a bit with Manu expected to miss game 1, and have a possible lingering effect on his elbow. Overall, the Manu advantage is still here over the course of 7 games.

SF: Young vs Jefferson. This matchup changes a bit as well, as Allen will guard Jefferson some now. Jefferson will be asked to spread the floor, and get out in the open, Young MUST produce.

PF: Randolph vs Duncan. This matchup was laughable 3 years ago, but Duncan is finally showing signs of age. This matchup will be much closer than some think. Edge: Even

C: Gasol vs Blair. Here is where the Grizz's size advantage comes into play.
Edge: Grizzlies

Bench: The Spurs vets versus the Grizz's youth.

Key Players: For the Grizz, OJ Mayo. They absolutely need Mayo to have a strong series. For the Spurs, its Richard Jefferson. If Jefferson plays at a high level, the Spurs are nearly impossible to beat.

Series Prediction: This series is coming at a perfect time for the Grizz, they are hot, and the Spurs have been in cruise control for a good while now. I expect close games throughout the series, and the Grizz to win a couple of their home games. But the veteran Spurs have been here before, and they will be ready day 1 of the playoffs. We see young teams that get into the playoffs for the first time take a while to adjust to the level of play, and the atmoshpere. This is exactly what will victimize the young Grizz.
Spurs in 6

LA Lakers vs NO Hornets
Season Series: Lakers lead 4-0

Matchups:
Point Guard: Derek Fisher vs Chris Paul - While Derek Fisher may have the playoff experience, but Chris Paul is arguably the best point guard in the league. I would not be surprised to see Chris Paul to have monster games in this series, but I could also see Kobe being forced to guard Paul if necessary.
Edge: Hornets

Shooting Guard: Kobe Bryant vs Marco Belinelli - Belinelli is a very good 3 point shooter but he is unfortunately matched up with one of the clutchest players alive today in Kobe Bryant. I don't really need to go more in detail on this matchup as it is pretty clear Kobe has a great advantage.
Edge: Lakers

Small Forward: Ron Artest vs Trevor Ariza - This is one of the matchups I am most interested in as both are really good defenders, and essentially we're traded for when Artest signed with the Lakers and Ariza signed with Houston. This to me is a wash, as both have struggled offensively and are both are very good defenders.
Edge: Wash

Power Forward: Pau Gasol vs Carl Landry - Without David West, Gasol should have a field day against the undersized Carl Landry. I expect Gasol to play big and not the soft version Lakers fan dread to see. If the Hornets want any chance to compete in this series Landry will need to step up but sadly I don't see it happening.
Edge: Lakers

Center: Andrew Bynum vs Emeka Okafor - Despite the injury to Andrew Bynum, I still expect him to outperform Okafor in this series. Okafor is undersized to Bynum, and with the mismatch at the power forward position it should only help Bynum even more. The big men for LA will win this series for them. Edge: Lakers

Overall: Ultimately the injury to David West gives the Hornets a very slim chance of winning this series, I don't think they would've won with West but they certainly would've had a better chance. I would be shocked to see this go past 5 games and I will say the Lakers sweep 4-0

Dallas Mavericks vs. Portland Trailblazers

Season Series: 2-2. Both teams won their home games. The Mavericks won by +4 in their two victories, the Blazers won by +5.5 in their two victories.

Matchups:
PG: Kidd versus Miller. Both in their twighlights. One more efficient on offense (Miller), the other more efficient on defense (Kidd).

SG: Stevenson vs Matthews. The defensive Stevenson will be asked to slow the emerging Matthews. Look for Dallas to go to the bench early here.
Edge: Portland

SF: Marion vs Wallace. This is like Wallace facing an older self. Marion will have his hands full.
Edge: Portland

PF: Nowitzki vs Aldridge. Dirk is beast in the playoffs, and LaMarcus has become beast this year.
Edge: Mavericks

C: Chandler vs Camby. They are both there to rebound and defend the paint. But one is more mobile still.

Bench. Terry, and the defensive Mavs reserves will be dealing with the perimeter depth of the Blazers.

Key Players: For the Mavs, it has to be Terry. If he has a series where he dominates, they will offensively overwhelm the young Blazers. For the Blazers, that player has to be Matthews. If the young man comes out shooting well, it will present a major matchup problem for the Mavs.

Series Prediction: The Mavs are playoff tested, but tend to play to the level of their opponents many times. Dirk is unstoppable, but Kidd has been below average this year, the length of the Blazers will give them the ability to close on Barea as well. The Blazers hopes hinge on Aldridge having a coming out party, and their interior defense making sure the Mavs shots come at lesser efficient areas. All this being said, I think Portland is a matchup problem in this series, won't be afraid of the spotlight with a few calming veterans to speak to their young stars, and steals two road games.
Portland in 7

Oklahoma City Thunder vs Denver Nuggets

Season Series: The Thunder took the season series 3-1, including two decisive wins this past month.

Matchups:
PG: Westbrook vs Lawson
Ty Lawson sprained his ankle in the final game of the season but report is he's fine and will play. Lawson has been very impressive since Billups departure but he's going to have a difficult time on both ends of the court with Russell Westbrook, who has emerged into a great point guard this season. The Thunder point guard has been often coined as Durant's Robin but there are at times Russell looks like the Caped Crusader.
Edge: Thunder

SG: Thabo Sefolosha vs. Arron Afflalo/Raymond Felton
Afflalo has been plagued by a hamstring injury the past 12 games, missing all of them except two. He says he's ready to go but I wouldn't be surprised if the hamstring starts acting up again. If Afflalo is not ready to go, we may see Raymond Felton starting alongside Lawson. Regardless of who starts, it'll be a difficult night with one of the leagues premier defenders breathing down on their necks. Thabo's offensive skills aren't great but he more than makes it up with play on the defensive end.

SF: Kevin Durant vs. Danillo Gallinari
Durant's efficiency has dropped from last year but he's still arguably the best scorer in the league. Capping his second scoring title, the Denver Nuggets can only hope to contain the superstar. Like the previous mentioned Nuggets, Danillo is also hampered with an injury but looks ready to play. His offensive skills set are not at par with Durant but when he lights up, he can shoot with the best of them.

PF: Serge Ibaka vs. Kenyon Martin
Serge has had a great year and with the addition of Perkins it allows him to play in a position that he's much more comfortable in. But K-Mart's grit, veteran savvy and mental tactics may be too much for the inexperienced African forward.
Edge: Nuggets

C: Perkins vs Nene: This is the matchup people need to pay attention to. Perk and Nene went at it twice in their previous two meetings and you can expect neither one to forget about it. Like the rest of the Nuggets, Nene is battling an injury and his performance maybe hindered by it. The addition of Perkins was a great move by the Thunder, giving the team a much needed intimidator down low. If there's one thing Perkins has picked up from KG, it's to get into peoples' heads and he may have already done so with Nene.

Bench:
Since trading Jeff Green, James Harden has really stepped up his game, averaging over 16 PPG and has prove to be a formidable sixth man. Eric Maynor and Nick Collison are the other two key players off the bench and you can expect Nazr Mohammed to get some burn downlow. However, it's the Denver bench that really shines in this series. The Nuggets no longer have a bonafide allstar but their bench has become impressively deep. Some may say, the bench is as good as their first unit. I almost felt like I had to include their names alongside their teammates in the position analysis. Balance has been key to the Nuggets success, with 9 players averaging double-digits in scoring since the Melo trade.
Edge: Nuggets

Series Prediction: George Karl said he rather play Dallas than OKC but he didn't get it his way but this could still make for a great series. We've seen the bad blood spewed in the last two games and we can expect that intensity to intensify in the playoffs. Both teams have great athletes, so expect some highlight reel plays but all in all, the duo of Durant-Westbrook maybe just too much for the bruised up Nuggets to handle.
Thunder in 6

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Dont really disagree with any of that... nice job...

NYYCowboys
04-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Really daring predictions....

Mr. Baller
04-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Really daring predictions....

Sorry we didn't pick the Knicks. I don't see many upsets in round 1, the east has a clear top 4, and while the West is more competitive I see only 1 maybe 2 upsets.

D Roses Bulls
04-15-2011, 07:13 PM
pretty right on, even though Dallas always fails, I think they might actually win this year, but I can see why hawkeye picked the blazers cause they could very well beat the mavs. and the nuggets and OKC can go either way. to be honest, I haven't watched denver enough since the trade to really be able to tell how good they are, but I think denver could win the series depending on how hot durrant is in the series.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
pretty right on, even though Dallas always fails, I think they might actually win this year, but I can see why hawkeye picked the blazers cause they could very well beat the mavs. and the nuggets and OKC can go either way. to be honest, I haven't watched denver enough since the trade to really be able to tell how good they are, but I think denver could win the series depending on how hot durrant is in the series.

funny enough, I picked Denver in 7 for that series, but the votes are obviously collective. Denver is 10 deep, and can play fast, slow, big, small, it doesn't matter. There is no matchup problems you can present them with. The only reason nobody takes them seriously is they don't have star power, and they haven't been together long. But they are good

Baller1
04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
For the most part, this looks pretty good to me. Nicely done.

Chronz
04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
For those who are interested;

---------------------------------

SYNERGY SYNOPSIS

(1) Bulls vs Pacers (8)
SRS Disparity: +7.9
PER Disparity: +1.44
Positional Production: Bulls 4-1

- Historically, #'s like these forecast a sweep, recent history has been abit friendlier. The last time a team made the playoffs with 37 Wins the Hawks pushed a similarly defensive oriented Celtics team to 7 games. Still that series may have been one of the most lopsided 7 game series of all time and represents the very best the Pacers could hope for in this matchup IMO. Most realistic outcome, Bulls in a sweep.

Bulls Offense (11th) vs Pacers Defense (12th)

OFFENSIVE VS DEFENSIVE
Play Call: Usage (%) - EFFICIENCY (Rank) VS EFFICIENCY (Rank)
Isolation : 772 Plays (9.1%) - .92 PPP (2nd) vs .90 PPP (29th)
PnR BH :1141 Plays(13.4%) - .85 PPP (6th) vs .83 PPP (12th)
PnR Man : 510 Plays (6.0%) - .89 PPP (30th) vs .97 PPP (6th)
Post-Up : 572 Plays (6.7%) - .82 PPP (22nd) vs .85 PPP (9th)
Spot-Up :1737 Plays(20.4%) - .95 PPP (18th) vs .97 PPP (9th)
Screens : 564 Plays (6.6%) - .85 PPP (19th) vs .80 PPP (3rd)
Cuts : 870 Plays(10.2%) - 1.2 PPP (22nd) vs 1.22 PPP (12th)
Off.Reb : 536 Plays (6.3%) - 1.15 PPP (3rd) vs 1.06 PPP (9th)
Transition: 992 Plays(11.7%) - 1.2 PPP (3rd) vs 1.14 PPP (13th)

Key MISMATCH: The Pacers aren't a bad defensive team, they do some things well enough to be respectable on that end, unfortunately for them, they are facing a team well equipped to exploit its greatest weakness. The Bulls as a team aren't overly reliant on 1vs1 play but one thing that has been proven is that the Pacers cant defend in Isolation and havent been able to keep Rose within reach, Im not expecting them to stay in front of him because no team can, but you can funnel him towards the help if you have the right scheme/defenders in place.

Pacers Offense (23rd) vs Bulls Defense (1st)

OFFENSIVE VS DEFENSIVE
Isolation :1047 Plays(11.9%) - .82 PPP (18th) vs .74 PPP (1st)
PnR BH : 896 Plays(10.2%) - .76 PPP (27th) vs .76 PPP (2nd)
PnR Man : 407 Plays (4.6%) - .93 PPP (26th) vs .91 PPP (2nd)
Post-Up : 997 Plays(11.4%) - .85 PPP (20th) vs .85 PPP (9th)
Spot-Up :1578 Plays(18.0%) - .95 PPP (18th) vs .91 PPP (1st)
Screens : 414 Plays (4.7%) - .92 PPP (9th) vs .82 PPP (5th)
Cuts : 654 Plays (7.5%) - 1.3 PPP (3rd) vs 1.19 PPP (5th)
Off.Reb : 510 Plays (5.8%) - 1.07 PPP (3rd) vs 1.03 PPP (5th)
Transition:1254 Plays(14.3%) - 1.11 PPP (24th) vs 1.14 PPP (13th)

Key MATCH-UP: The Pacers dont have a single clear mismatch as a unit and the Bulls have almost no weaknesses defensively. 1 on 1 Collison will be removed from the equation by Rose and the Bulls collective PnR defense will do the rest. Granger will have his hands full with Deng, at best they barely win that positional battle, their best bet is to attack their bigs in the post and if your going to run any PnR be sure it involves Boozer.

The Bulls scheme has been geared towards limiting the greatest strengths in this league (speed, quickness, spreading the court, PnR). The Pacers fit that mold but they also have a throwback center they can go to in the halfcourt. You know its very telling, if your counting on Hibbert or McBob/Psycho T to be your X-Factors your not likely to win the series.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 07:44 PM
For those who are interested;

---------------------------------

SYNERGY SYNOPSIS

(1) Bulls vs Pacers (8)
SRS Disparity: +7.9
PER Disparity: +1.44
Positional Production: Bulls 4-1

- Historically, #'s like these forecast a sweep, recent history has been abit friendlier. The last time a team made the playoffs with 37 Wins the Hawks pushed a similarly defensive oriented Celtics team to 7 games. Still that series may have been one of the most lopsided 7 game series of all time and represents the very best the Pacers could hope for in this matchup IMO. Most realistic outcome, Bulls in a sweep.

Bulls Offense (11th) vs Pacers Defense (12th)

OFFENSIVE VS DEFENSIVE
Isolation : 772 Plays (9.1%) - .92 PPP (2nd) vs .90 PPP (29th)
PnR BH :1141 Plays(13.4%) - .85 PPP (6th) vs .83 PPP (12th)
PnR Man : 510 Plays (6.0%) - .89 PPP (30th) vs .97 PPP (6th)
Post-Up : 572 Plays (6.7%) - .82 PPP (22nd) vs .85 PPP (9th)
Spot-Up :1737 Plays(20.4%) - .95 PPP (18th) vs .97 PPP (9th)
Screens : 564 Plays (6.6%) - .85 PPP (19th) vs .80 PPP (3rd)
Cuts : 870 Plays(10.2%) - 1.2 PPP (22nd) vs 1.22 PPP (12th)
Off.Reb : 536 Plays (6.3%) - 1.15 PPP (3rd) vs 1.06 PPP (9th)
Transition: 992 Plays(11.7%) - 1.2 PPP (3rd) vs 1.14 PPP (13th)

Key MISMATCH: The Pacers aren't a bad defensive team, they do some things well enough to be respectable on that end, unfortunately for them, they are facing a team well equipped to exploit its greatest weakness. The Bulls as a team aren't overly reliant on 1vs1 play but one thing that has been proven is that the Pacers cant defend in Isolation and havent been able to keep Rose within reach, Im not expecting them to stay in front of him because no team can, but you can funnel him towards the help if you have the right scheme/defenders in place.

Pacers Offense (23rd) vs Bulls Defense (1st)

OFFENSIVE VS DEFENSIVE
Isolation :1047 Plays(11.9%) - .82 PPP (18th) vs .74 PPP (1st)
PnR BH : 896 Plays(10.2%) - .76 PPP (27th) vs .76 PPP (2nd)
PnR Man : 407 Plays (4.6%) - .93 PPP (26th) vs .91 PPP (2nd)
Post-Up : 997 Plays(11.4%) - .85 PPP (20th) vs .85 PPP (9th)
Spot-Up :1578 Plays(18.0%) - .95 PPP (18th) vs .91 PPP (1st)
Screens : 414 Plays (4.7%) - .92 PPP (9th) vs .82 PPP (5th)
Cuts : 654 Plays (7.5%) - 1.3 PPP (3rd) vs 1.19 PPP (5th)
Off.Reb : 510 Plays (5.8%) - 1.07 PPP (3rd) vs 1.03 PPP (5th)
Transition:1254 Plays(14.3%) - 1.11 PPP (24th) vs 1.14 PPP (13th)

Key MATCH-UP: The Pacers dont have a single clear mismatch as a unit and the Bulls have almost no weaknesses defensively. 1 on 1 Collison will be removed from the equation by Rose and the Bulls collective PnR defense will do the rest. Granger will have his hands full with Deng, at best they barely win that positional battle, their best bet is to attack their bigs in the post and if your going to run any PnR be sure it involves Boozer.

The Bulls scheme has been geared towards limiting the greatest strengths in this league (speed, quickness, spreading the court, PnR). The Pacers fit that mold but they also have a throwback center they can go to in the halfcourt. You know its very telling, if your counting on Hibbert or McBob/Psycho T to be your X-Factors your not likely to win the series.

Nicely done. Are you planning on doing this for all of the matchups?

I think Indiana might steal game 3, but if not I see a sweep.

Doogolas
04-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Lol. Bulls defensive rankings are hilarious.

tredigs
04-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Everyone thinks the Blazers are going to beat the Mavs (are the Mavs even favorites at this point? Doubtful), but really, I doubt that happens. Wallace and Batum would love to think they can slow down Dirk, but they can't - and expect a nice first round out of Chandler. Kidd/Andre = Wash/slightly in Kidd's favor.

Bottom line? Brandon Roy seems like a zero at this point, and so long as that continues - I'll take Mavs in 6.

daleja424
04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I dont think that most people think that Portland is the fave... I just think it is the most likely upset so it is a popular pick.

tredigs
04-16-2011, 10:01 AM
I dont think that most people think that Portland is the fave... I just think it is the most likely upset so it is a popular pick.

Agreed, but listening to your standard analysts, it's definitely the more common choice going around (Portland winning). I can definitely see it happening, but I still think it's unlikely.

It's a seriously interesting playoffs though - there's about 7 teams with a legitimate chance to make the finals if the ball bounces in their favor over the next few weeks. I'm pumped.

Thunder VS. Heat finals. Heat in 7. That's my official pick.

jp611
04-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Bulls vs. Lakers

Bulls in 7

MiamiWadeCounty
04-16-2011, 11:12 AM
My Predictions:
Chicago Bulls (4), Indiana Pacers (0)
Miami Heat (4), Philadelphia 76ers (0)
Boston Celtics (4), New York Knicks (1)

San Antonio Spurs (4), Memphis Grizzlies (1)
Los Angeles Lakers (4), New Orleans Hornets (1)
Portland Trailblazers (3), Dallas Mavericks (4)
Oklahoma City Thunder (4), Denver Nuggets (3)

alencp3
04-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Chicago Bulls (4), Indiana Pacers (1)
Miami Heat (4), Philadelphia 76ers (0)
Boston Celtics (4), New York Knicks (3)

San Antonio Spurs (4), Memphis Grizzlies (2)
Los Angeles Lakers (4), New Orleans Hornets (2)
Portland Trailblazers (4), Dallas Mavericks (2)
Oklahoma City Thunder (4), Denver Nuggets (1)

theheatles
04-16-2011, 12:17 PM
yay, jalen rose is back on air!:clap:

John Walls Era
04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
No upsets... these predictions are not so bold.

tredigs
04-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Never mind.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Got it right.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
No upsets... these predictions are not so bold.

I predicted Portland and Denver moving on

JUMPMANxAIRS
04-16-2011, 04:28 PM
evan turner will score 31.7 ppg, 5.7 assists, 2.0 blocks, 4.2 rebounds and .8 steals a game.

what a player. easy win for the 6ers

KnicksorBust
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Spurs
Thunder
Blazers
Lakers
-------
Bulls
Magic
Knicks
Heat

hugepatsfan
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Chicago Bulls
Miami Heat
Boston Celtics
Atlanta Hawks

San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers
Portland Trailblazers
Denver Nuggets

I forgot to send mine in by this morning. Sorry.

lakers4sho
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Bulls-Pacers writeup written by a Bulls mod [ Rosh ]
heat-Sixers writeup written by a heat mod [ SteBO ]
Celtics-Knicks writeup written by a Celtics mod [ Corey ]
Magic-Hawks writeup written by the Magic mod [ ManRam ]

cool

Mr. Baller
04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Bulls-Pacers writeup written by a Bulls mod [ Rosh ]
heat-Sixers writeup written by a heat mod [ SteBO ]
Celtics-Knicks writeup written by a Celtics mod [ Corey ]
Magic-Hawks writeup written by the Magic mod [ ManRam ]

cool

They know their teams the best, therefore they should write the writeups.

latinofire21
04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Pretty funny predictions.

First Round Winners

Pacers in 7

Indiana is just as big as Chicago and going into the playoffs Indiana has clearly been the hungrier team. I expect all the games to be really close and even 2 or 3 of them going into overtime. I dont see the one dimensional Bulls being able to pull out the series. Rose or Bust will not work against the well balanced attack of the Pacers.

76ers in 6

Philadelphia has been overlooked by many including myself. They are deeper then most of the teams in the east and I think they will be able to wear down the Miami star studded front line. If Miamis bench shows up for only half the series this one is going to get ugly. After watching the game today it even further made me feel like this 76er/Heat series was going to be a lot like the old Knick/Heat rivalries. Super aggressive in the lane and a lot of hard fouls and testy temperments.

Knicks in 6

Boston just isnt there yet. They shook up their whole team with that Perkins trade. Trying to incorporate a career starter into a backup role was a bold move and great for the future of the team but for the playoffs made them really suffer. What I liked most about this Boston team was the amount of bigs they had. Before the trade deadline they shipped 3 Bigs! With both Oneals in serious health issues the one thing they had over the Knicks they took away. Will Bostons small ball be better then the Knicks? Can they dominate the Glass and slow down the tempo the Knicks run? If the Celtics dont control the ball from the tip expect their aging superstars to fade in the sunset. I actually believe it will be Knicks in 5 but the Knicks have a serious issue of closing out games so I fully expect at least one Knick breakdown down the stretch of the series.

Knicks have the younger team and arguably the hungrier team. This team has a lot to prove and I fully expect them to come out strong and ready to play. There defense has been questioned by everyone and is always written as a blanketed "they play no defense" without any LEGITIMATE supporting evidence. The naysayers will prove to be the fuel that leads this knicks team into the second round of the Playoffs.

Magic in 4
Dwight Howard and his new crew will come together for this series with a serious chip on their shoulders. Expect Dwight to dominate and Jameer to facilitate the three point barrage on the shaky Hawks.

Grizzlies in 6
Memphis upset!!!!!!!! The team is young and hungry and matches up well with the Spurs. I can easily see the spurs taking this in 4 but if Memphis doesnt fold under the pressure I fully expect a Grizzly second round appearance.

Lakers in 4
Can Chris Paul and company pull 1 win in this series? Possibly, but losing David West for the season is going to cost them this series.

Thunder in 5
I feel that Oklahoma should sweep this series however Denver will steal a game at home. Their is too much star power on the Thunder to allow the Nuggets to be a serious threat in this series.

Trailblazers in 6
Poor Dallas. They always get the short end of the stick in playoff matchups. Portland is too deep to be the seed they were given and the new structure of the playoffs allows injury riddled players a chance to recover from game to game. Could it be to let Roy get a little bit more PT? Blazers in 6

BOOK IT

Baller1
04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Pretty funny predictions.

First Round Winners

Pacers in 7

Indiana is just as big as Chicago and going into the playoffs Indiana has clearly been the hungrier team. I expect all the games to be really close and even 2 or 3 of them going into overtime. I dont see the one dimensional Bulls being able to pull out the series. Rose or Bust will not work against the well balanced attack of the Pacers.

76ers in 6

Philadelphia has been overlooked by many including myself. They are deeper then most of the teams in the east and I think they will be able to wear down the Miami star studded front line. If Miamis bench shows up for only half the series this one is going to get ugly. After watching the game today it even further made me feel like this 76er/Heat series was going to be a lot like the old Knick/Heat rivalries. Super aggressive in the lane and a lot of hard fouls and testy temperments.

Knicks in 6

Boston just isnt there yet. They shook up their whole team with that Perkins trade. Trying to incorporate a career starter into a backup role was a bold move and great for the future of the team but for the playoffs made them really suffer. What I liked most about this Boston team was the amount of bigs they had. Before the trade deadline they shipped 3 Bigs! With both Oneals in serious health issues the one thing they had over the Knicks they took away. Will Bostons small ball be better then the Knicks? Can they dominate the Glass and slow down the tempo the Knicks run? If the Celtics dont control the ball from the tip expect their aging superstars to fade in the sunset. I actually believe it will be Knicks in 5 but the Knicks have a serious issue of closing out games so I fully expect at least one Knick breakdown down the stretch of the series.

Knicks have the younger team and arguably the hungrier team. This team has a lot to prove and I fully expect them to come out strong and ready to play. There defense has been questioned by everyone and is always written as a blanketed "they play no defense" without any LEGITIMATE supporting evidence. The naysayers will prove to be the fuel that leads this knicks team into the second round of the Playoffs.

Magic in 4
Dwight Howard and his new crew will come together for this series with a serious chip on their shoulders. Expect Dwight to dominate and Jameer to facilitate the three point barrage on the shaky Hawks.

Grizzlies in 6
Memphis upset!!!!!!!! The team is young and hungry and matches up well with the Spurs. I can easily see the spurs taking this in 4 but if Memphis doesnt fold under the pressure I fully expect a Grizzly second round appearance.

Lakers in 4
Can Chris Paul and company pull 1 win in this series? Possibly, but losing David West for the season is going to cost them this series.

Thunder in 5
I feel that Oklahoma should sweep this series however Denver will steal a game at home. Their is too much star power on the Thunder to allow the Nuggets to be a serious threat in this series.

Trailblazers in 6
Poor Dallas. They always get the short end of the stick in playoff matchups. Portland is too deep to be the seed they were given and the new structure of the playoffs allows injury riddled players a chance to recover from game to game. Could it be to let Roy get a little bit more PT? Blazers in 6

BOOK IT

Well, they're definitely bold. So I'll give you props in that regard.

bholly
04-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I predict I rip my ears out if I have to listen to the Pussycat Dolls / Jason Bonham version of Black Dog too many more times. That's ****ing atrocious.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-17-2011, 12:34 AM
I know I'm a little late with the predictions but I'll give it a go anyways:

Bulls in 5
Heat in 5
Celtics in 6 (that was hard for me to type but have to be unbiased)
Magic in 6 (admittedly this is affected by what happened today, I probably would have said Magic in 4 or 5 before today's game)

Spurs in 5
Lakers in 4
Mavs in 7
Thunder in 7

2nd round
Bulls over Magic in 6
Heat over Celtics in 7 (IMO, the winner of this series gets to the Finals. Not sold completely on the Bulls)

Thunder over Spurs in 7
Lakers over Mavs in 6

Conference Finals
Heat over Bulls in 5
Lakers over Thunder in 7

Finals
Heat over Lakers in 7

Yes, I picked the Heat to win it all. Call me names but this is what I think will happen. Unlike a lot of posters, I tried to make these picks with my head and not my heart. If I made the picks with my heart, the Knicks would win the NBA Championship and the Lakers would lose in the 1st round. And as much as I want that to happen, it won't.

Some of these were tough. For example, I could see the Celts beating the Heat. I think that'll be a great series if that happens. Also, I could see the Thunder beating the Lakers. However, I'm going with the more experienced team in that matchup. If they play again next year, I'd go Thunder (assuming the teams were the same which is a poor assumption to make). As for the Bulls, I just don't see enough offense. And I tend to look at the strength of your starting 5 in the playoffs (since starters play more minutes and become more important) and imo, the Bulls starting 5 doesn't stack up to the Celts and Heat.

Anyways, those are my predictions.