PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING!!! Thibs Best Rookie Coach EVER???

Cool007
04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Here is something that I found out (I kind of knew it but I just looked into it more) that Thibs as a Rookie coach has the MOST wins (Tied with Westphal) of any coach in the History of the NBA.

The last Rookie coach to have the most wins was Westphal in 1992-93 season with Phoenix Suns (Charles Barkley/Kevin Johnson/etc).

Now look at the context. The team that Westphal as a Rookie coach took on - the Suns that had won 53 games the year before and had just lost in WC Semis.

This Bulls team that had won 41 games from previous year and lost in the 1st round vs Cavs. This Bulls team had 8 new players and totally new coaching staff and their best player was 21 years old when Thibs joined the team.

When you look at the context and look at the WHOLE thing, how can Thibs not be considered THE BEST ROOKIE Coach EVER coach in the NBA???

Now what Bulls and Thibs do in the playoffs is yet to be seen. What you guys think???

Hustlenomics
04-14-2011, 10:40 PM
he's better than Doc Rivers, great coach

Jewelz0376
04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
I think it depends on how far they go in the playoffs...If they make it to the finals than I can def agree with him being the best rookie coach..

jmcelligott92
04-14-2011, 11:07 PM
seriously can anyone figure out why it took the guy so long to get a head coaching job?

clferg75
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
seriously can anyone figure out why it took the guy so long to get a head coaching job?

Dont know why just glad he is with The Bulls!

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Because he's black. Bunch of racists!

heyman321
04-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Holy crap, Thibodeau has a master's degree in science according to Wikipedia lol.

KingPosey
04-14-2011, 11:35 PM
He did a good job, but that team is stacked. I bet even a **** like hustlenomics could coach that team to 50 wins.

KingPosey
04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Holy crap, Thibodeau has a master's degree in science according to Wikipedia lol.

ya but one time i read the wiki on the guy that hosts Pros vs Joes. Needless to say, the last line said "he is currently a homosexual."

KG2TB
04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
He did a good job, but that team is stacked. I bet even a **** like hustlenomics could coach that team to 50 wins.

Yeah, maybe...but not 62.

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 11:46 PM

Apparently it's a "Master of Science in counseling" from Salem State University.

I also heard Tom has a doctoral degree in proctology.

D Roses Bulls
04-14-2011, 11:50 PM

It was said by I believe Kc Johnson or Sam smith that he wasn't a great interviewer. that's why it took so long to land a head coaching job.

Hustlenomics
04-14-2011, 11:51 PM

hop off my nuts guy

D Roses Bulls
04-14-2011, 11:52 PM
on a personal note though, I like thibs, but he has made his mistakes as rookie coaches usually do. mostly with substitution and he has been stubborn in some case, but I'm sure he will learn from those. Nobody is better than Phil Jackson IMO. he's smart with his substitutions and even though I think Tex winter and the amount of star talent jackson has coached also led to his success, I still think there is no better coach than him.

Crackadalic
04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Lets see how far he can take the team in the playoffs before i can make a final judgment but he has done a good job so far

KingPosey
04-15-2011, 12:40 AM
hop off my nuts guy

trust me Einstein, that was anything but a compliment.

Hustlenomics
04-15-2011, 12:54 AM
trust me Einstein, that was anything but a compliment.

are you gay? get off my *ick !

theSPECIALKID
04-15-2011, 01:43 AM
hop off my nuts guy

rofl

TheShock45
04-15-2011, 01:52 AM
1st off I'm tired of hearing,, he's better than Doc Rivers. Doc Rivers sucks and is freaking clueless, he should not be the standard to any comparison. Thibs is definately best rookie coach ever but he definately not coach of the year. His team is stacked. Doug Collins wins it hands doubt. He's the first person ever to take a turd, polish it and actually make it worth something

DodgerBulls
04-15-2011, 02:01 AM

Vinny's awesome hair.

Evolution23
04-15-2011, 03:02 AM
I'll trade you guys Dantoni for Thibs and we'll throw in Jared Jeffries too.

BleedingGreen9
04-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Because he's black. Bunch of racists!

wow he woulda fooled me

Baller1
04-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Probably the coach of the year. He did an incredible job implementing his defensive system, as seen by the outstanding consistency all year.

AllBall
04-15-2011, 06:58 AM
When you look at the context and look at the WHOLE thing, how can Thibs not be considered THE BEST ROOKIE Coach EVER coach in the NBA??

Pat Riley, championship in first year. The Pimp. The Don. The Legend. The Godfather.

/End thread.

magichatnumber9
04-15-2011, 07:58 AM
You guys passed on him once to get Vinny Del Negro

Steelers23_06
04-15-2011, 08:50 AM
i mean we can argue that he has had the best start but to say the best ever? thats a reach...even if he does win a ring that means he has a waysssss to go. great start to a career though. gotta love his d.

***edit misread title. could just be the best rookie coach ever. dont member one better off the top of my noggin. sorry for the eff up guys.

Team*Chicago
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
I think it depends on how far they go in the playoffs...If they make it to the finals than I can def agree with him being the best rookie coach..

He will and he'll face the Lakers their too.

redwhitenblue
04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Pat Riley, championship in first year. The Pimp. The Don. The Legend. The Godfather.

/End thread.
Those Laker teams also won 60+ and 54 games the first two years prior to him being the head coach (which only happened because Magic wasn't happy with Westhead). That team had Magic, great records, and somehow ALSO got the first overall pick Riley's first full year (when they grabbed Worthy).

He really didn't transform much or improve the team that drastically, he took control of an already great product.

Tarheels23
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Ask the Celtics fans.... Thibs is the real deal

Cool007
04-15-2011, 11:22 AM

/End thread.

Not even close.

Pat took on a Lakers team that had JUST WON THE Title before he joined the team the next year.

Besides that, that team (even though SUPER STACKED SHOWTIME LAKERS), won 58 games.

While Thibs with 62-wins.

This is why Historically, you just don't see it happen. This is very very very RARE.

Giantwarrior
04-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Thibbs is a lucky coach. he inherited a very good team to start with, not to mention a MVP in D-Rose.

I think the next coach for the Lakers next season will be up there as well if Phil doesnt come back.

TopsyTurvy
04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Westphal didn't follow VDN...

How quickly Bulls fans forget the era of Hair.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Depends on what they do in the playoffs, but even a 2nd round exit could put him as top rookie coach ever.

ChicagoRox
04-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Thibs has no life outside of basketball. Perfect for a NBA coach. This morning on the local espn radio station. Ronnie Brewer said that the playbook that he got from thibs just for the pacers series is like a textbook. It's even thicker than the regular season playbook. All he does live and breath basketball.

gotoHcarolina52
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
As this thread shows, Tom Thibodeau is the true MVP. Without Tom, the Bulls would be a hell of a lot closer to the 41-41 they were last year.

CostanzaNumba0
04-15-2011, 01:07 PM

his hair is attrocious

Cool007
04-15-2011, 01:11 PM
As this thread shows, Tom Thibodeau is the true MVP. Without Tom, the Bulls would be a hell of a lot closer to the 41-41 they were last year.

I disagree. Both Rose and Thibs deserve HUGE credit for the turnaround. Let's face it, if Rose doesn't take that next big step and with the injuries to Boozer and Noah, Bulls would be somewhere around 45-50 wins at most (still improvement from last year but not this big).

TopsyTurvy
04-15-2011, 02:20 PM
his hair is attrocious

To be fair, the Bulls were spoiled with hair like VDN's.

The new boss is a reality check.

king4day
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I didn't closely follow the Suns when Westphal was coach but you're acting like the bulls did this feat with the same team they had last year. You added a star PF, a star shooter and great role players, not to mention a budding superstar in Rose. Coach def deserves the credit of gluing the team together and getting them to buy into the defensive system he has but this thread seems to make it like this was a cinderella season. I'd say the majority of fans knew this team would be top 4 this year no matter who their coach was.

Chi StateOfMind
04-15-2011, 02:32 PM
he's a beast coach

AIRMAR72
04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
1st off I'm tired of hearing,, he's better than Doc Rivers. Doc Rivers sucks and is freaking clueless, he should not be the standard to any comparison. Thibs is definately best rookie coach ever but he definately not coach of the year. His team is stacked. Doug Collins wins it hands doubt. He's the first person ever to take a turd, polish it and actually make it worth something

that is PURE nonsense coach river is one best coach in history of this league and im not talking rings im talking about the knowledge and motivating spirit that he brings(like coach pop) is hard match thibs is the same way and im sure he(thibs) learn a thing or 2 from coach rivers

magic0320
04-15-2011, 02:40 PM
that is PURE nonsense coach river is one best coach in history of this league and im not talking rings im talking about the knowledge and motivating spirit that he brings(like coach pop) is hard match thibs is the same way and im sure he(thibs) learn a thing or 2 from coach rivers

haha I didn't know 4 good season's make coach one of the best in the history :facepalm:

he is good coach, but not one of the best like all those legends out there who did more than 10 years or even 20 years of coaching.

quit disrespecting...:facepalm:

TheRunKiller
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
he's a beast coach

I don't think ive ever seen him sit down. bulls could be up by 30 and he's still yelling at people..he's the man

magic0320
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
If he wins he might be next coming Phil lol

I know it's too early but man it would be way good for the bulls, but I really hope lakers wins XD

chitownbears89
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Whatever justification makes you feel better about getting swept. Also we have 60 plus wins, I honestly don't care if it was Rose, Thibs, or Jannero Pargo who got us here. We are good team no matter how you slice and dice it.

Chi StateOfMind
04-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't think ive ever seen him sit down. bulls could be up by 30 and he's still yelling at people..he's the man

his voice will be gone in app. 6 yrs top

TheRunKiller
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM

you people always have something to say

valade16
04-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Replace Tom Thibodeau with Derrick Rose and it's equalky as valid.

Or do you think with the injuries to Noah and Boozer a team led by Luol Deng would still win 50+ :rolleyes:

Besides, great coaches need great players and vice versa. How many 'Chips does Kobe have without Phil? Or Phil without Shaq, Kobe and MJ? How many does Riley have without Magic Kareem, Shaq, KAJ? Or Wade without Riley? Or Duncan wihout Pop?

I hope I've made my point by now.

gotoHcarolina52
04-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Besides, great coaches need great players and vice versa. How many 'Chips does Kobe have without Phil? Or Phil without Shaq, Kobe and MJ? How many does Riley have without Magic Kareem, Shaq, KAJ? Or Wade without Riley? Or Duncan wihout Pop?

I've ignored your first point because you took my previous post as if I really truly what I said. I was being sarcastic.

With respect to the point quoted above, I would argue that coaches need great players more than players need their coaches. A good coach can only lead a bad team so far, while a great player can overcome a bad coach. Admittedly, however, it is easier to achieve greatness when you have both.

D Roses Bulls
04-15-2011, 04:26 PM

ummmm no. the bulls upgraded some and rose took that next step. I would say and most analysts have also stated, if the bulls had vdn coaching, they think the bulls would still win 55 games probably.

redwhitenblue
04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
ummmm no. the bulls upgraded some and rose took that next step. I would say and most analysts have also stated, if the bulls had vdn coaching, they think the bulls would still win 55 games probably.
What analysts have said that? I have never heard an analyst say that. That's a load of crap, VDN was horrible with Deng and would've never put forth the work that Thibs has for this team.

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2011, 05:08 PM
What analysts have said that? I have never heard an analyst say that. That's a load of crap, VDN was horrible with Deng and would've never put forth the work that Thibs has for this team.

Our D woulda been horrible! Rose never would of taken that next step on the defensive side IMO