PDA

View Full Version : First Round Match-Ups: Thunder V Nuggets

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I think it is fair to say that OKC will have the two best players on the court in Durant and Westbrook. Harden is shooting the three well, and Perk, as we all know, is a great defender in the post. Problem: Perk's defence wont really be employed much (Denver's C rotation gets most of their points off of offensive rebounds, to lobs into the paint when defences break down). Denver is a deeper rebounding team (Nene Martin, Andersen, Gallinari, Chandler,Harrington are all solid rebounders), though Serge, Perk and Durant are both solid on the glass).

This is the hardest series for me to call. Durant is such a talent, as is westbrook, and it seems this team really has it together, but the depth and coaching the Denver has are intangibles that just cant be measured. Denver cna be a completely different team, not only form one game to the next, but from one quarter to the next, and OKC is never going to know which one is coming at them.

I am picking Denver is a 6 games series.

thougths

pebloemer
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Most intriguing first round matchup for me. I got this one going to 7 games.

DenButsu
04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
I have the Nuggets in six, too. But I'm biased. :smoking:

I think a lot will ride on 4 things for the Nuggets:

1. How aggressive will Nene play, how well will he keep his composure (so as not to get ejected), and how well will he knock down his free throws?
2. This one's simple (and perhaps the most important): Can the Nuggets get and stay healthy?
3. Can Denver's defense reduce the dimensionality of OKC's offense, essentially by limiting either Durant's or Westbrook's effectiveness in enough games?
4. Will the lack of stars result in a lack of whistles for the Nuggets? Because we know KD is gonna get his.

As long as we stay healthy, I like our chances to grind this one out.

Baller1
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I honestly see no way Denver wins. We absolutely exposed them in two games last week (a win in Denver, and an easy win at home). Perk really frustrated Nene, and when that happened the Nuggets had a tough time scoring. We have no answer for Lawson, but it's the same case for them guarding Westbrook.

In the game in Denver last week the Thunder were just too physical for Denver. It frustrated the entire team and that can be attributed to Perk. He has integrated an entirely new attitude to this team, and everyone on the team has bought into it. All in all, Denver just didn't know how to stop all the firepower OKC has to throw at them.

Last year, OKC got way too much credit. This year, they're not getting enough. When can we all just find a middle ground? OKC in 5.

Gibby23
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I think Denver wins in 6. I assume Afflalo is back and him and Chandler should do a decent job on KD. Denver can switch the line up in so many different ways like playing Gallo at the 4 and stretching out the floor for Lawson or Felton to drive to the hole and either go for a shot or kick it out to a shooter. Denver defends the 3 ball well and OKC is in the bottom half of the NBA in defending the 3 ball, with Denver, you need to stop the 3 point shooters or they will put up 120 points.

DenButsu
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
In 5? And you think it's OKC that's not getting enough credit?

And lol at them being "too physical" for Denver. Here's what was too much for Denver: Al Harrington being forced to play significant minutes at center, Afflalo and Andersen both being out with Chandler being well less than 100%.

If the Thunder win in 5 (which to me is laughable), it would only be because Denver's not at full strength.

Slimsim
04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Nuggets in 7

allSUAVE
04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
OKC in 6

Rentzias
04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
In 5? And you think it's OKC that's not getting enough credit?

And lol at them being "too physical" for Denver. Here's what was too much for Denver: Al Harrington being forced to play significant minutes at center, Afflalo and Andersen both being out with Chandler being well less than 100%.

If the Thunder win in 5 (which to me is laughable), it would only be because Denver's not at full strength.

My thoughts exactly. OKC is an EXCELLENT, if not a bit wild of a team, but DEN has the coach advantage, and, if healthy, essentially two starting lineups they can throw at OKC for seven games. Karl will adjust, and gameplan for a long series, not a two-game regular season set.

SP17
OKC in 6.. I think Denver has no chance winning this one and beating the thunder 4 games.

danniboi168
this is one of the playoff matches im looking forward to, i think nuggets in 6.

DragonJaii
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
OKC in 7.

Sadds The Gr8
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Ok City in 5. I know alot of people see this one going deep but i don't know why. I think Denver's lack of star power will show and OKC will win their 1st playoff series. I actually want Denver to win, but i dont see it happening

EWreckShin
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Thunder in 7. Accidentally voted for the Nuggets in 7.

latinofire21
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Nuggets Deep Bench wont be a huge factor for the first round of the NBA playoffs. More beneficial going deep into the playoffs. OKC in 4. They wont get the superstar calls that Durant and Westbrook will be revieving and Perkins will allow Ibaka to host a block party on the defensive end.

Nuggets had a great season but they arent making a dent in the playoffs.

yankeesown69
04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Durant and Westbrook won't be stopped. OKC in 5. Nuggets have been playing well but they just don't have enough firepower. They better hope they're healthy to have any chance but even then I think the max they can do is take it and lose in 6

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
im really pullin for DEN in the west.

im hoping DEN in 7

Cool007
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Thunder in 6.

marvILLous
04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
u guys serious? lol thunder in 5.. maybe 6

JordansBulls
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
This is the Utah vs Denver series all over again this year. If Durant plays like he supposed to then the Thunder win in 6. If he plays like he did last playoffs, the Nuggets win.

North Yorker
04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I got OKC in 7

marlinsfan24
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
OKC in 6.

Kashmir13579
i'm stoked for this series. Gallo vs Durant matchup is gonna be epic. Denver in 7 and Lawson will match Westbrook.

AIRMAR72
i wish okc didnt have to play da nuggets this one WILL take okc 7 hard games but da nuggets(AND THEIR HOT rite now) are capable of winning the series

FilNugsFan
04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Could probably be the most exciting series in the entire 1st round.

It's gonna be tough but I believe Denver can pull this one out in 7.

Kashmir13579
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Could probably be the most exciting series in the entire 1st round.

It's gonna be tough but I believe Denver can pull this one out in 7.

i agree with both of those statements.

Baller1
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Funny how everyone is talking about how hot the Nuggets have been since the trade... Guess who stopped their hot streak? OKC, twice in one week. Oh, and pretty sure we've had a better record since all the trades went down.

Like I said, OKC in 5... Maybe 6.

Tha Truth
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Obviously Durant is the superstar in this series.

But I just want to know who is going to stop/slow down Westbrook?!

The Nuggets have no answer for him.

Tha Truth
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
The Nuggets don't have that STAR player they can go to when they NEED a bucket or when the game is tight late in 4th quarter. That will be the difference in this series.

Chacarron
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
OKC in 7.

Kashmir13579
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
The Nuggets don't have that STAR player they can go to when they NEED a bucket or when the game is tight late in 4th quarter. That will be the difference in this series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfGTVp-gHtU

its gonna happen.

210Don
04-14-2011, 12:55 PM
okc in 7 but wouldnt be suprised if nuggets win the series

CHANGO
04-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Thunder in 6. Best playoffs series.

Chi StateOfMind
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
okc in 7

Chi StateOfMind
04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
best playoff series by far

Tha Truth
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM

its gonna happen.

LOL yea that was a big clutch shot.

That's what shooters do though.

thekmp211
04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
i'll take okc in 6. i love denver but i love the thunder more.

todu82
04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Denver in 7

FinsSuperBowl
04-14-2011, 05:08 PM
only way okc wins is if durant and westbrook avg 75 ppg combined.
Thants not goin to happen Nuggets in 6

FinsSuperBowl
04-14-2011, 05:09 PM

its gonna happen.
JR smith is their go to player and he is clutch by the way

LTBaByyy
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Nuggets in 6

ohreally
04-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I want the Nuggets to make it at least as far as the WCF because I want a team-ball resurgence. So I'm saying Nuggets in 6.

Kashmir13579
04-14-2011, 05:36 PM

yea you're right, i'm sure Gallo won't take/make ANY big shots :rolleyes:

Baller1
04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
only way okc wins is if durant and westbrook avg 75 ppg combined.
Thants not goin to happen Nuggets in 6

:laugh2:

ManRam
04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
This is the match up that excites me the most. I wasn't a true believer in OKC, until they got Perk. I really like Denver a lot; love how they play right now.

I think OKC is the better team, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Denver won.

I'll say OKC in 7.

metsfaninSTL
04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
thunder in 7

DenButsu
04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Lopez_Nuggets (Aaron J. Lopez)

Nuggets coach George Karl says he expects to have full roster at his disposal for start of playoffs Sunday.

If true, huge for the Nuggs.

Denver-boy
04-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I want to thunder to be the Favorite, I think Nuggets play better!!!

If AA is heathly game 1, Id got more than enough confidence Nuggets take it by 6.

KG2TB
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
OKC in 6

vigilantinugget
04-14-2011, 10:36 PM
nuggs 6

NBA_Starter
04-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Denver in 6

SteBO
04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
For some reaosn, I think DEN has a great shot to win this series. However, star power wins in the playoffs, so I'll go OKC in 6, maybe 7 depending on how the first two games play out.

J4KOP99
04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I think Gallinari will surprise a lot of people...

Denver in 6.

J4KOP99
04-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Lopez_Nuggets (Aaron J. Lopez)

Nuggets coach George Karl says he expects to have full roster at his disposal for start of playoffs Sunday.

If true, huge for the Nuggs.

How are you feeling about this series?

LA_Raiders
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Thuggets will take it on 6

Crackadalic
04-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Thunder is 6. Nuggets have a lot of depth but no one to take over games like KD and Westbrook

ohreally
04-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Thunder is 6. Nuggets have a lot of depth but no one to take over games like KD and Westbrook

The Nuggets may not have anyone that can take over a series of games, but they have a bunch of guys that can take over A game, and they've been sharing the ball very very nicely, which is their bigger strength over a series.

JiffyMix88
04-15-2011, 01:15 AM
I got the Nuggets in 6 because their bench is just as good as their starters, they literally don't seem to miss a beat.

sunsfan88
04-15-2011, 01:19 AM
OKC in 7.

Denver is just as deep as PHX was last season but we had Nash & Amare while they have...Lawson & Nene?

BleedingGreen9
04-15-2011, 01:23 AM
OKC in 6...Nuggs play realy well together team just meshes but not enough for this high powerd Thunder team they are looken real scary in the west. I think in round 2 they are gunna show everyone who they realy are and SmOkE the spurs in 5

THE GIPPER
04-15-2011, 01:25 AM
With afflalo back and healthy, he'll be defending westbrook which will be huge for the nuggs.

afflalo will probably also be the go to guy in the clutch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJ1j_UHmm0

LOOTERX9
04-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Denver has no star player to goto in 4th Qtr. They lose in 5. couple of close games but Den has no legit finisher. DENVER will be the type of team that's good in regular season but never wins against teams in playoffs that has a star player

BallIsAll
04-15-2011, 03:30 AM
OKC in 7.

Denver is just as deep as PHX was last season but we had Nash & Amare while they have...Lawson & Nene?

Last time the nuggets played the suns lawson ran circles around nash.

Denver has no star player to goto in 4th Qtr. They lose in 5. couple of close games but Den has no legit finisher. DENVER will be the type of team that's good in regular season but never wins against teams in playoffs that has a star player

read this.

With afflalo back and healthy, he'll be defending westbrook which will be huge for the nuggs.

afflalo will probably also be the go to guy in the clutch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJ1j_UHmm0

I think if denvers healthy we will win, reasons why.

1. First time we played last week, lawson showed he can get the best out of westbrook and we can defend him well.
2. Chandler should be good (his ankle was bugging) and when hes not in our defense wont miss a beat on durant thanks to afflalo.
3. We have way better shooters than they do.
4. We have a better bench.
5. Although they have the only superstar in the series, superstars alone don't win games, especially against good defensive teams which we have been 1-3 since the trade.

championships
04-15-2011, 04:01 AM
I am going with Nuggets in 6 with this one. I don't think OKC knows what to expect from the new look Denver has

DenButsu
04-15-2011, 04:10 AM

Spoken like a true Heat fan. And I don't mean that as a dig, it's just that Heat fans are obviously likely to feel invested in the value of star power (as a reflection of the way the organization has constructed the team) over the less conventional power of a deeper, more balanced construction.

And it's true that the NBA is a star's league, which likely operate against the Nuggets when it comes to the officiating, and the likelihood that OKC will be the beneficiary of a much kinder whistle (a virtually guaranteed reality which Nuggets fans are already dreading).

But Denver having, in fact, at least four(if not more) players who have proven themselves entirely capable of closing out games and heating up in any given time, and having, essentially, two full starting lineups' worth of players with diverse skill sets presents a completely different (and frankly underappreciated) type of challenge to posing defenses.

It's not that Durant and Westbrook aren't great players not to be reckoned with; they definitely are. But the range of adjustments that Karl has at his disposal, the variety of both offensive and defensive looks that the Nuggets can put on the floor, means that the Thunder has their own reckoning to face as well.

As long as Denver stays healthy and doesn't get violated too badly by the zebras, they should take this series. And it will be a victory for all of us NBA fans who are sick of a diva-run league. (Just in principle - I'm not calling Durant a diva, so everybody settle down).

I only wish it were possible to face the Knicks in the first round. But regardless, the Nuggets have something to prove, and they're built to surprise, and I for one, not only as a Nuggs fan but as an NBA fan, relish the possibility (or, imo, probability) that they can make a statement about great team play being able to trump star power, against all odds and conventional wisdom.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 04:34 AM
I legitimately cannot comprehend in any way how so many people are so confident in the Nuggets for this series. We exposed them twice in one week, one of them being in Denver. We handled the Lakers really well last season... Now we're a better, more balanced team playing against a lesser opponent with home court advantage.

I'm astonished at the unprecedented love for Denver in this series.

DenButsu
04-15-2011, 04:45 AM
I'm surprised that you seem to actually believe that those two games "exposed" anything at all about the Nuggets.

You really shouldn't need to dig very deep, if you're paying attention, to know that there's really not much validity at all to that view.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 04:47 AM
I'm surprised that you seem to actually believe that those two games "exposed" anything at all about the Nuggets.

You really shouldn't need to dig very deep, if you're paying attention, to know that there's really not much validity at all to that view.

So let me ask you this, what exactly are you basing your confidence of this matchup on?

jimbobjarree
04-15-2011, 04:49 AM
I legitimately cannot comprehend in any way how so many people are so confident in the Nuggets for this series. We exposed them twice in one week, one of them being in Denver. We handled the Lakers really well last season... Now we're a better, more balanced team playing against a lesser opponent with home court advantage.

I'm astonished at the unprecedented love for Denver in this series.

I'm with you, my mate was going on about how they're his dark horse to reach the conference finals, so I straight up said 20 bucks the Thunder win this series in at most 6 games. Should be some easy money.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 04:52 AM
I'm with you, my mate was going on about how they're his dark horse to reach the conference finals, so I straight up said 20 bucks the Thunder win this series in at most 6 games. Should be some easy money.

Nice sig Jim! :laugh2:

I'm making a bet with my coworker as well, I already made 40 bucks off of the NFL playoffs... Can't wait to make more.

jimbobjarree
04-15-2011, 04:54 AM
haha thanks. Yeah I'm friends with two very confident Heat fans too, theres some money to be made there when the Heat ineviably don't win it all this year.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 04:59 AM
haha thanks. Yeah I'm friends with two very confident Heat fans too, theres some money to be made there when the Heat ineviably don't win it all this year.

I think the Heat will end up losing to Boston in the second round. Bet that! ;)

Tha Truth
04-15-2011, 07:51 AM

This is basically exactly what I said a few pages back. This series does have the potential to be close, but OKC has too much star power. Like I said before, absolutely no answer for Westbrook.

midwestmadman
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
To me this is the most competitive and best 1st rd match up. I like watching both teams and I wish they could meet in rd two as both teams deserve to win at least one playoff series. Having said that I am taking the Thunder in very competitive and entertaining games. My feeling is that it will come down to having solid go to guys, and the two best players on the court in this series are both wearing OKC jersey's. I would not be shocked to see Denver win the series but as a betting man, my cash would have to be on OKC.

Kinkotheclown
04-15-2011, 09:48 AM
This might be one of the best series I've seen in along time to start out the playoffs. This will be a ton of fun to watch these teams play. They have very good match-ups. Denver is very long and athletic and can spread the court and are playing as a unit right now. Denver is going to make them work extremely hard to get through. But Thunder in 6.
I think Wesbrook steals the show. That's the one guy that denver can't D. I think they can slow Durant but not Westbrook

Missing56&33
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Nuggets in 7

X2.....agreed, I think Denver is playing well as a team right now and George Karl have rotated the new guys( after the trade) in nicely. If the Thunder can get pass the Nuggets I think they go to the Finals. Its going 7 though.

KnickFanSince91
04-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I love how people are picking Denver and touting that "deep bench" when Gallo, Chandler and Felton have combined for a grand total of ZERO PLAYOFF GAMES. These cats aren't consistent in the regular season so do you really expect them to show out in the playoffs? I'm not buying the fool's gold that is their record since the trade. KD & Westbrook are going to go off every single night and Denver won't have an answer. Let's be extra nice and say Nene vs Perk is a wash...Ibaka > Kmart, KD > Gallo+Chandler, Westbrook > Felton + Lawson. Denver has the advantage at the 2 spot but that's not going to win them a series. OKC in 5

KnicksorBust
04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I honestly see no way Denver wins. We absolutely exposed them in two games last week (a win in Denver, and an easy win at home). Perk really frustrated Nene, and when that happened the Nuggets had a tough time scoring. We have no answer for Lawson, but it's the same case for them guarding Westbrook.

In the game in Denver last week the Thunder were just too physical for Denver. It frustrated the entire team and that can be attributed to Perk. He has integrated an entirely new attitude to this team, and everyone on the team has bought into it. All in all, Denver just didn't know how to stop all the firepower OKC has to throw at them.

Last year, OKC got way too much credit. This year, they're not getting enough. When can we all just find a middle ground? OKC in 5.

I feel bad for Denver. Denver's youth and uptempo style could have given a lot of teams problems. This is worst possible matchup for them. I like OKC easily as well. The Thunder are finally a legit sleeper. Ibaka turned in to a legit threat and Perkins was the missing piece. That Thunder team can do EVERYTHING you need to do to win a title. The question now is do I have the stones to put the them in the Finals in my NBA Playoff Bracket Pool. :laugh:

Baller1
04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I feel bad for Denver. Denver's youth and uptempo style could have given a lot of teams problems. This is worst possible matchup for them. I like OKC easily as well. The Thunder are finally a legit sleeper. Ibaka turned in to a legit threat and Perkins was the missing piece. That Thunder team can do EVERYTHING you need to do to win a title. The question now is do I have the stones to put the them in the Finals in my NBA Playoff Bracket Pool. :laugh:

:nod:

Everyone's talking about how good they've looked since the trade, but the Thunder have played better than them. I dont get it.

Mile High Champ
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh how I can't wait for this series to get kicked off. This is one series I know is going 7 games. Lawson v. Westbrook is going to be unreal over a 7 game series. I am picking Denver in 7 only because I like their front a lot more than what the Thunder have to offer.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh how I can't wait for this series to get kicked off. This is one series I know is going 7 games. Lawson v. Westbrook is going to be unreal over a 7 game series. I am picking Denver in 7 only because I like their front a lot more than what the Thunder have to offer.

The frontcourt? Defensively theirs doesn't compare, while ours doesn't compare offensively. Therefore I think it's a relative wash there.

nycericanguy
04-15-2011, 01:14 PM
It really all depends how the new young guys play in the playoffs. I will say this, Gallo LOVES the spotlight, I always thought he would be a big time playoff performer and I'm sad he never got the chance at the garden. But I could def see him becoming that "go to guy" in the playoffs and putting up 20-22ppg in the series.

Chandler if his ankle holds up is also another wild card. But if they get the injured Chandler that struggles and becomes a non factor I'm not sure they can win the series.

I'll go OKC in 6, but I think DEN has a very legitimate shot. Just like I'll pick BOS in 6 over NY, but NY has a very legitimate shot as well.

Mile High Champ
04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
The frontcourt? Defensively theirs doesn't compare, while ours doesn't compare offensively. Therefore I think it's a relative wash there.

Sorry I disagree, I like what Martin has showed lately and Nene is a much more complete player than Perkins. Plus add in the likes of Chris Anderson and you got a good advantage in the series.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Sorry I disagree, I like what Martin has showed lately and Nene is a much more complete player than Perkins. Plus add in the likes of Chris Anderson and you got a good advantage in the series.

No need to apologize, it's just your opinion. No problem.

Serge Ibaka is a much better version of Chris Anderson. Nene clearly has Perkins offensively, but Perkins played Nene very well in the two meetings. One of them Nene had a strong game and played well, the other one he had one of his worst shooting performances of the season.

Since Perk and Mouhammad were integrated into the rotation, the Thunder's defense has improved by an entire ~10 points. Don't underestimate the impact our four man rotation has downlow.

KnickFanSince91
04-15-2011, 01:34 PM
It really all depends how the new young guys play in the playoffs. I will say this, Gallo LOVES the spotlight, I always thought he would be a big time playoff performer and I'm sad he never got the chance at the garden. But I could def see him becoming that "go to guy" in the playoffs and putting up 20-22ppg in the series.

Chandler if his ankle holds up is also another wild card. But if they get the injured Chandler that struggles and becomes a non factor I'm not sure they can win the series.

I'll go OKC in 6, but I think DEN has a very legitimate shot. Just like I'll pick BOS in 6 over NY, but NY has a very legitimate shot as well.

:laugh:
It's like we were watching two different players these last few years.

Mile High Champ
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
No need to apologize, it's just your opinion. No problem.

Serge Ibaka is a much better version of Chris Anderson. Nene clearly has Perkins offensively, but Perkins played Nene very well in the two meetings. One of them Nene had a strong game and played well, the other one he had one of his worst shooting performances of the season.

Since Perk and Mouhammad were integrated into the rotation, the Thunder's defense has improved by an entire ~10 points. Don't underestimate the impact our four man rotation has downlow.

You make some great points about, especially the improvement of the Thunders interior defense. That is why I think the series will be so close, I think for sure this series goes 7 games. I have just been very impressed with the growth of Nene and his game this season. Perkins has not showed me enough to be honest to put him on the same level as Nene. I also am really looking forward to seeing Lawson & Westbrook go at it. Should be an awesome series.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
You make some great points about, especially about the improvment of the Thunders interior defense. That is why I think the series will be so close, I think for sure this series goes 7 games. I have just been very impressed with the growth of Nene and his game this season. Perkins has not showed me enough to be honest to put him on the same level as Nene. I also am really looking forward to seeing Lawson & Westbrook go at it. Should be an awesome series.

I agree that individually Perk probably hasn't showed you much, or anything for that matter. But I guess that's where you gotta kinda use the eye test. His impact on this team has been felt tremendously; the team is meaner, they communicate on the floor more, and they just play with that passion that you see from the Celtics (mainly KG). Perk has changed the culture of that team, and that's immeasurable.

Lawson ate Westbrook alive in their meeting a couple weeks ago, so I'm hoping Westbrook wakes the hell up for this series and realizes he can't slack against a player as quick as Ty.

THE GIPPER
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
So many great matchups in this series. Westbrook vs Lawson will be great and so will Nene vs Perk... jr vs harden as 6th man etc. but imo the X factor of this series is how healthy arron afflalo is and how effectively he can guard westbrook.

AIRMAR72
04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I think Gallinari will surprise a lot of people...

Denver in 6.

believe me he WILL SURPRISE the mass and make his name known in these playoff games now if melo and billups were on the team okc would take them in 5 but guys the knicks traded away were all above average players these guys(felton) were reason WHY amare played so well the FOOLS in knicks management shouldve waited to SEE how the team played in the playoffs than go amare a nonscoring hussle rebounding PF there are good amount of those in the D league(rotate with amari) or center gallinari will stretch the D. and he can drive to the da basket and kevin durant needs to post-up more to incress OKC chance

tredigs
04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I've got OKC going to the finals if Bynum's knee is hampering him to a limited-use player during these playoffs.

The Nuggets can't hang with what OKC brings at this point. They're younger, but are more veteran in the sense that their offensive core has been gelling together for years, and they gained valuable playoff experience against LAL last season. At the least, their continuity and knowledge of what to expect from eachother at any point of the game is already much more settled than Denver is going to have.

OKC is a deep squad and probably has the better 6th man in Harden, but they also have the two best players in the series (both of which earned valuable high-intensity minutes in the world championships this summer to supplement their playoff against the leagues best).

I do like Denver's squad, but I would be shocked if they take it to 7. OKC in 5 or 6.

nycericanguy
04-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Not sure what that means, But Gallo played well in the big games. He lit up CHI opening week, lit up MIA when they first came in... those are two big games off the top of my head. He had stretches where he averaged 25-27ppg over a 5-7 game stretch. I can definitely see him doing that in a playoff series.

Remember the infamous Melo vs Gallo at the garden? He loves the big spots.

Just last week he led DEN on national TV to a win over the Lakers with 18 points in the first half. I don't think you followed Gallo's career too well?

Kashmir13579
04-15-2011, 03:11 PM

i'm not gonna rule out Gallo making a few allstar teams. The Knicks sucked, Gallo did not.

Kashmir13579
04-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Not sure what that means, But Gallo played well in the big games. He lit up CHI opening week, lit up MIA when they first came in... those are two big games off the top of my head. He had stretches where he averaged 25-27ppg over a 5-7 game stretch. I can definitely see him doing that in a playoff series.

Just last week he led DEN on national TV to a win over the Lakers with 18 points in the first half. I don't think you followed Gallo's career too well?

i'm with you all the way on this.

tredigs
04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Can't see it. Durant's a matchup nightmare for Gallo. Consistently owns him.

KnickFanSince91
04-15-2011, 03:51 PM

*sigh*

For every 5 game stretch where he gives you 20 + pt scoring, you get a 10 game stretch where he barely cracks double digits. For every 18 point first half, he gives 0 point showings in the 4th quarter. The reason he avgs about 16 per game is because his game is up and down. When he becomes consistent, I'll believe that he can become a goto guy and maybe I'll think about believing he can do it in the playoffs.

Please spare the nonsense about a shot being big in a meaningless regular season game over a year ago. He's never been to the playoffs and he's never played at a high enough level consistently to think he'll suddenly flip a switch. He can barely string together 10 games in double digits. Dude is as up and down as they come. He'll be good one day...just not this season.

Blueballz
04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
The key is for Denver to take one of the first two games. I think George Karl didnt show all his cards in the last two games vs OKC.

Fireworld
04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
7 games, either way.

Baller1
04-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Video preview if anyone's interested:

http://www.nba.com/playoffs/2011/westseries4/?v=/video/channels/playoffs/2011/04/14/20110414_west_preview_okc_den.nba&ls=iref:nbahpt1

jimbobjarree
04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
since the Jazz sucked out of the playoffs I'm gunna rock my KD Sonics jersey and cheer him on. I still maintain this series won't go past 6 games in favor of the Thunder progressing.

AIRMAR72
04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
okc was always the team i thought would come out the west from the begin of season I SAID on here and guys on PSD had jokes but i never thought denver would trade billups and melo the playoffs game is about halfcourt play and with 2 penetrating PG(they play da position well) da nuggets are in position to control the flow of the game.. OKC in 7 tuff games thanks to perkins and ibka defensive plays and clutch rebounds and westbrook midrange game AND his ability to thrust to da hoop

PHX2daDEATH
04-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Nobody can stop Durant on Denver, OKC in 6. If Dallas had dropped to 4 I would of taken Denver, because the Nuggets could wear Dallas down with their depth and speed..but OKC can easily match their speed and OKC is good enough defensively to slow Denver's O..Perk does a good job NeNe..

finalverse
04-16-2011, 09:37 AM
:nod:

Everyone's talking about how good they've looked since the trade, but the Thunder have played better than them. I dont get it.It's a little better story when a team like Denver does well after losing a star (Melo) compared to a team who has 2 stars already and lost a nobody (Green). That's why Denver gets talked about more than the Thunder.

tredigs
04-16-2011, 09:51 AM
It's a little better story when a team like Denver does well after losing a star (Melo) compared to a team who has 2 stars already and lost a nobody (Green). That's why Denver gets talked about more than the Thunder.

Ehhhh right, but those two stars grew there, and Green (the "nobody") would be a player battling for top-dog status on Denver right now if he were to play for them. But, I suppose I see your point... although I don't, because I think the Thunder are the far more popular team, and the team most bookies/analysts/smart fans, etc. widely expect to take this series.

Once again - Thunder in 5 or 6. This series will be entertaining, but I'd be very surprised if it goes 7.

finalverse
04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Ehhhh right, but those two stars grew there, and Green (the "nobody") would be a player battling for top-dog status on Denver right now if he were to play for them. But, I suppose I see your point... although I don't, because I think the Thunder are the far more popular team, and the team most bookies/analysts/smart fans, etc. widely expect to take this series.

Once again - Thunder in 5 or 6. This series will be entertaining, but I'd be very surprised if it goes 7.Thunder should be the favorites and they will probably win. I'm just talking about why the media talks more about Denver then they do about the Thunder...and a lot has to do with the fact that Denver didn't implode after the Melo trade. Everyone knew the Thunder would be fine with or without Green but no one saw Denver doing what they are doing. It's like a cinderalla story and the media always love that.

tredigs
04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Thunder should be the favorites and they will probably win. I'm just talking about why the media talks more about Denver then they do about the Thunder...and a lot has to do with the fact that Denver didn't implode after the Melo trade. Everyone knew the Thunder would be fine with or without Green but no one saw Denver doing what they are doing. It's like a cinderalla story and the media always love that.

I gotchya. The media I personally listen to, that isn't the case (I pay most attention to certain writers and particular podcasts I download), but I'm not surprised that Denver's getting a lot of press in other avenues. And ****, they deserve it - that's a damn solid team. But they're no Thunder.

Baller1
04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
It's a little better story when a team like Denver does well after losing a star (Melo) compared to a team who has 2 stars already and lost a nobody (Green). That's why Denver gets talked about more than the Thunder.

Oh I know, everyone loves to ride the popular story. I just think it's funny that everyones talking about Denver's post trade depth and teamwork, yet that's what the Thunder has relied on all year and the trades only further progressed it.

I've got the Thunder in 5 as my final prediction.

Go_NUGGETS
04-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Nuggets got this if we can remain healthy.

KnicksR4Real
04-16-2011, 01:06 PM
danilo is going off! lets get it GALLOOOOOOO

DenButsu
04-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Oh I know, everyone loves to ride the popular story. I just think it's funny that everyones talking about Denver's post trade depth and teamwork, yet that's what the Thunder has relied on all year and the trades only further progressed it.

I've got the Thunder in 5 as my final prediction.

Baller, tomorrow I'll break down my thoughts on the series, and why I think the Nuggets will win.

But for now I just have to ask: Why is a Cali boy on the Thunder's jock? Not trying to be rude, but really - are you from OKC, or a Durant fan, or what? Just curious...