PDA

View Full Version : Who's your upset in the first round.

Whomewhome
04-14-2011, 03:04 AM
Which lower seed can win the series vs their higher ranked opponents.

My picks are Atlanta who in my opinion has a favorable matchup vs the Magic

and in the West I think Memphis is gonna give San Antonio a big scare stretching the series to 7. But San Antonio will still win.

Sadds The Gr8
04-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Portland over Dallas is a popular one

Whomewhome
04-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Portland over Dallas is a popular one
yeah it is. I don't see it happening. Can you imagine the facelift the Mavs would get if they got eliminated in the first round! OUCH

abe_froman
04-14-2011, 03:10 AM
portland over dallas in 6

stlbest5in2013
04-14-2011, 03:12 AM
bulls over the pacers in 5

Jezeble
04-14-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm also going with Atlanta over Orlando in the East; and Portland over Dallas in the West. However I wouldn't be surprised at a Denver or New York coup.

SP17
04-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Portland over Dallas.

championships
04-14-2011, 03:25 AM
I would say Dallas but I don't consider them losing in the first round an upset anymore.

SACNYY
04-14-2011, 03:31 AM
I'm going with the Sixers to beat the Heat in 7. Book it.

DoJoTheSlasher
04-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Maybe Atlanta over Orlando. Hell, I'll even say Portland could beat my Mavericks. I'm not hating on my team, I'm just being semi-realistic...

Meatmypet
04-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Knicks.

Saad
04-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Knicks over Celtics, Sixers over Heat, Portland over Dallas, Nuggets over OKC

TheRunKiller
04-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Nuggets then maybe Portland but thats it

Whomewhome
04-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Knicks over Celtics, Sixers over Heat, Portland over Dallas, Nuggets over OKC
There is no way the Nuggets are beating OKC. I just don't see that happening, don't get me wrong the Nuggets are good. But OKC is just better

Purple&Gold24
04-14-2011, 03:48 AM
Spurs will kill memphis.

I think its New york

mrbtp
04-14-2011, 04:29 AM
would love to see the knicks beat the C's in 7 game series

PrestigeWldWde
04-14-2011, 05:04 AM

and in the West I think Memphis is gonna give San Antonio a big scare stretching the series to 7. But San Antonio will still win.

Good thread. You should put up a poll though. Make it easier to see what people are thinking the upsets could possibly be.
In the West I could see the Grizzlies upsetting the Spurs and the Nuggets upsetting the Thunder. The Grizzlies and Nuggets are playing some very good ball and matchup very well against their opponents. While I still think the Spurs and Thunder will win, I won't be surprised if they get knocked out in the first round.
In the East I could see the Hawks upsetting the Magic and the Knicks possibly upsetting the Celtics if they are healthy. The Hawks are a very very sneaky team and the Magic clearly got worse after the midseason moves they made. The Celtics also made themselves worse (for now, not for the future though) with the trade of Perkins considering their depth is now not too good down low. Plus they are old, just like we say about the Spurs every year, but they continue to surprise, so who really knows? :-) I'm actually also very curious to see how well the Heat can play together in the playoffs considering the playoffs are a totally different atmosphere than the regular season games. Their depth, or lack thereof might get them into some trouble. That's just my opinion.

Minimal
04-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Portland over Dallas and Atlanta over Orlando.

BleedingGreen9
04-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Grizz over the Spurs

nolin
04-14-2011, 06:58 AM
blazers over mavs no brainer right??? LA will have trouble with te blazers in the 2nd rd as well

lilojmayo
04-14-2011, 08:15 AM
OJ Mayo and the Grizzlies
Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks
Brandon Roy and the Blazers

Team*Chicago
04-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I'll have to say the trailBlazers knocking the Mavericks off and the the Hawks clipping the Magic of what happen during the regular season.

daleja424
04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Portland over Dallas... that is the only series I see with 7 game potential

alencp3
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Hornets over Lakers
Pacers over Bulls

One will happen

minervamob
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Atlanta, Portland and Memphis

PistonsFan14
04-14-2011, 09:33 AM
New york upsets in the first round.

Double_R
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I really don't understand the people saying that Atlanta has a favorable matchup vs Orlando. The Magic have absolutely dominated the Hawks over the past couple of seasons. Then I see people saying the Magic got worse after the midseason moves, that really doesn't make sense either, because they didn't. Also, the Hawks actually got worse after the moves they made. I look for the Magic to win that series in 5 games.

Here's last years series and neither team really got better or worse IMO, but either way what did the Hawks do to put them ahead of last years performance.

Orlando won the four games by an average of 25.3 points -- a total blowout that no one could have expected in a matchup between the teams that finished second and third in the Eastern Conference. It was the most lopsided four-game sweep in NBA playoff history, according to STATS LLC.

WrongIslander
04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Regardless of the above I'm going for the Hawks.

DoMeFavors
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Lakers losing in first round would be a shocker to everyone

toovey107
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Western Conference

ChitownSports16
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I really don't understand the people saying that Atlanta has a favorable matchup vs Orlando. The Magic have absolutely dominated the Hawks over the past couple of seasons. Then I see people saying the Magic got worse after the midseason moves, that really doesn't make sense either, because they didn't. Also, the Hawks actually got worse after the moves they made. I look for the Magic to win that series in 5 games.

Here's last years series and neither team really got better or worse IMO, but either way what did the Hawks do to put them ahead of last years performance.

Orlando won the four games by an average of 25.3 points -- a total blowout that no one could have expected in a matchup between the teams that finished second and third in the Eastern Conference. It was the most lopsided four-game sweep in NBA playoff history, according to STATS LLC.

Forget the regular season... This is a whloe new season pal.

Double_R
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Forget the regular season... This is a whloe new season pal.

Sorry PAL, but what I posted wasn't the regular season. It was last years playoff series between the Magic and the Hawks. Learn to read before making yourself sound stupid.

minervamob
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Orlando won the four games by an average of 25.3 points -- a total blowout that no one could have expected in a matchup between the teams that finished second and third in the Eastern Conference. It was the most lopsided four-game sweep in NBA playoff history, according to STATS
LLC.

Dude Hawks beat the magic 3 times this year

minervamob
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
And its not the same orlando team from last years playoffs. Magic can definitely lose this series

king4day
04-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Portland over Dallas but I don't consider that an upset. Portland is a really good team.
Same with Atlanta/Orlando. Atlanta winning wouldn't be a shock either.

The 2 that come to mind are:

Memphis/Spurs
Knicks/Celtics

I think Memphis does have a legit shot at winning this series so I'll go with that one. If Manu isn't 100% then it makes the case even greater.

Slimsim
04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Nuggets Portland Knicks and Sixers

Chacarron
04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Portland over Dallas or Denver over OKC.

Pinrod33
04-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Good thread. You should put up a poll though. Make it easier to see what people are thinking the upsets could possibly be.
In the West I could see the Grizzlies upsetting the Spurs and the Nuggets upsetting the Thunder. The Grizzlies and Nuggets are playing some very good ball and matchup very well against their opponents. While I still think the Spurs and Thunder will win, I won't be surprised if they get knocked out in the first round.
In the East I could see the Hawks upsetting the Magic and the Knicks possibly upsetting the Celtics if they are healthy. The Hawks are a very very sneaky team and the Magic clearly got worse after the midseason moves they made. The Celtics also made themselves worse (for now, not for the future though) with the trade of Perkins considering their depth is now not too good down low. Plus they are old, just like we say about the Spurs every year, but they continue to surprise, so who really knows? :-) I'm actually also very curious to see how well the Heat can play together in the playoffs considering the playoffs are a totally different atmosphere than the regular season games. Their depth, or lack thereof might get them into some trouble. That's just my opinion.

Funny, cause I'm thinking the exact same thing about the Bulls. They just look more and more like that team. You know, those "Regular Season Champs" that go out and kill everyone during the season, but get thourougly beaten in the 1st or 2nd round by a team that sleeps through the regular season but turns it on when it matters (C's anyone?)

I'm sorry, but this bulls team is not a team worthy of the #1 seed and took advantage of an old celtics squad that doesn't care about the regular season, a Heat team that is still trying to figure themselves out, and a vastly inferior conference in terms of competition. And I definitely don't think they are a team built to be a championship contender. Joakim Noah??? Get real........

That would be my upset pick, if the Pacers were better, but it still wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

Anon
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
The only real upset I see would be Knicks over Celtics. Mavs/Trailblazers is a toss-up. I just remember Boston sucking at the end of last year and the turning it on in the playoffs. I will believe they are done when I see it.

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Funny, cause I'm thinking the exact same thing about the Bulls. They just look more and more like that team. You know, those "Regular Season Champs" that go out and kill everyone during the season, but get thourougly beaten in the 1st or 2nd round by a team that sleeps through the regular season but turns it on when it matters (C's anyone?)

I'm sorry, but this bulls team is not a team worthy of the #1 seed and took advantage of an old celtics squad that doesn't care about the regular season, a Heat team that is still trying to figure themselves out, and a vastly inferior conference in terms of competition. And I definitely don't think they are a team built to be a championship contender. Joakim Noah??? Get real........

That would be my upset pick, if the Pacers were better, but it still wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

Agree with all of this except the part about the Bulls not deserving the #1. They won more games than any other team in the league. Sure, they play in The Limp Dick Division and took advantage of an aging Boston squad and a yet-to-gel Miami team, but they still won more games that everyone else. They get the #1 and they deserve it. Period.

That said, the Bulls may struggle in the playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic give them some trouble. But out of all the teams in the East, they have the easiest path to the Finals.

2-15's4-22's
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
^ but they had there problems too noah missed time and boozer but they where still number 1 in D and rebounding and if thats the case why didnt hawks take advantage of what the bulls took advantage of, because it wasnt a fluke if you want to blame anybody blame the coach for being able to be that good, i mean i dont think they can win it all this year imo, but they didnt get the # 1 spot by accident

FKNRUEHH925
04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Nugs to beat the Thunder

GoatMilk
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
i think the blazers are going to destroy dallas
5 games

JordansBulls
04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
5 over 4 seeds for sure.

theheatles
04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
chalk

Double_R
04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Dude Hawks beat the magic 3 times this year

Yea and the Magic swept the Lakers the year they played them in the finals. The regular season means nothing. I take more from last year's playoffs then from this regular season. The game isn't the same in the playoffs, sport.

AllBall
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Portland over Dallas in 6.

SteveNash
04-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Portland, Carlisle is terrible.

ManRam
04-14-2011, 06:53 PM
The series with no chances of an upset are Chicago, Miami, San Antonio and LA. I think the other 4 could see upsets.

I'd rank them 1. Portland 2. Denver 3. New York 4. Atlanta in terms of probability of winning.

LakersA's49ers
04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
since everybody has atlanta, my upset pick is orlando! lol i got magic in 5 there.

knicks4life33
04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
knicks and im not bein a homer

knicks=love
04-14-2011, 07:29 PM
bulls over the pacers in 5

do you know how to read? :facepalm:

knicks=love
04-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Yea and the Magic swept the Lakers the year they played them in the finals. The regular season means nothing. I take more from last year's playoffs then from this regular season. The game isn't the same in the playoffs, sport.

it doesn't? why doesn't it matter? stop with the nonsense

chicagocubsfan
04-14-2011, 07:38 PM

That would be my upset pick, if the Pacers were better, but it still wouldn't surprise me if it did happen. I love how that is the Heat's excuse. The Bulls have 9 new players, and we still got the first seed.

Jonathan2323
04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I love how that is the Heat's excuse. The Bulls have 9 new players, and we still got the first seed.

Their top 3 players remained though.

I like the Blazers/

Mishmin
04-14-2011, 07:58 PM
In the east, I think there's a much better chance of Sixers over Heat than Knicks upsetting the Celtics. Sixers are very well coached and totally under the radar. Rondo is going to get wherever he wants against ny defense and the series will be over before it starts.

goose15
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Pacers over Bulls
Sixers over Heat

Mane
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I see no way NY could beat the Celtics in a 7 game series, regardless of how hot they are.

Portland could win, but that's all i find believable.

jiggin
04-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Blazers over Mavs

heathonater
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
i think portland over dallas is the most likely upset in the first round this year. i also wouldnt count denver out against okc. the nuggets may not have a superstar, but they have a really deep team with many good players. im still picking okc to beat denver, but that series will be interesting to watch. i think the two stars on okc gives them an edge over denver's depth.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Portland over Dallas.

Raidaz4Life
04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Denver and Portland

sportscrazed
04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Knicks over Celtics (any team with carmelo, amare, and chauncey has a legit chance to win a series or two)

Portland over Dallas (playoffs are not really the specialty of the mavs)

JiffyMix88
04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Atlanta, Portland and Memphis

i love derrick rose but god thats a gay *** pic

Baller1
04-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Portland for sure, I see them winning in 5-6.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
I think Portland and Denver move on to the 2nd round.

Baller1
04-14-2011, 09:24 PM
I think Portland and Denver move on to the 2nd round.

I hate you. :smoking:

heattiltheend94
04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Portland over Dallas. THat is the only one I can see with the exeption of Denver over OKC

Punk
04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Portland over Dallas, Knicks over Celtics (me being bias of course) and possibly Memphis over San Antonio.

bigA9331
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Sixers over Heat

lakeshow3peat
04-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I got a few upsets

First is Knicks over Celtics just cause i truly believe the Celtics screwed themselves with Perkins going to Thunder .

Second - I will take 76ers over the Heat

As far as Dallas and Portland I will say Dallas will win although Portland will make it a good series

mdm692
04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Portland over dallas and nyk over boston

Kobes a Killer
04-14-2011, 10:23 PM
i love derrick rose but god thats a gay *** pic

Hahaha it's so gay

lol what could possibly make him put that as his sig

Hawkeye15
04-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I hate you. :smoking:

haha, I know man. Its MY opinion only, that Denver can play any style, big, small, fast, slow, with their depth. While the Thunder have the star power, the Nuggs just have no weaknesses.

Trust me, I am pulling for the Thunder, I just think they got a matchup nightmare round 1. If they get past the Nuggets, they may very well run straight thru the next round.

Crackadalic
04-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I still think the Hawks are gonna upset the Magic. Revenge series for me.

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Sixers over Heat

I can see this happening too. Maybe they'll even sweep! Get your brooms, Philly. Y'all gonna sweep the Heat!!!!

:up:

Young2Kinsler
04-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I think Portland will beat Dallas, but I don't consider it an upset.

MelkyNYY
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Knicks over the Celtics. And I'm not the biggest fan of the Knicks. Both teams are flawed.

NYYCowboys
04-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I think Portland will beat Dallas, but I don't consider it an upset.

Me too the Blazers are a really good team peaking at the right time. I'd almost be kinda surprised if the Mavs won the series. Also I don't consider a 5 beating a 4 to be that huge of an upset, so I won't even count the ATL-ORL and OKC-DEN series.

Both #1s, the Bulls and Spurs, seem to be pretty safe in my mind, and although the Grizz are a solid team, and playing well I'd be shocked if they beat the Spurs. The Bulls-Pacers series isn't going more than 5 games.

I think the biggest lock besides the Bulls-Pacers series is the Lakers-Hornets series. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers swept them. The Sixers may give the Heat some trouble, but as much as I'd like to see it, I don't think the Sixers have the firepower to overcome the Heat's stifling defense.

I already said my opinion on Mavs-Blazers. So now on to my New York Knicks and the Celtics. Although the Celtics beat the Knicks 4-0 in the season series, 2 of those games were without Melo (even though both of these were even close), and one was a battle of the benches (yesterday). All of the games have been close, and the Knicks have been winning late in the game in at least 2 of those games. With that being said I think this will be a great series, and although the Celtics are still the favorite, and one thing you can never underestimate is the heart of a champion. I hope I'm wrong, but I like the Celtics in a very tight contested series.

LA_Raiders
04-14-2011, 11:46 PM
76ers over Miami

MrfadeawayJB
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Nuggets over Thunder

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Hornets beat the LaLas.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Saw on the first couple pages people were picking Atlanta over Orlando. I just thought I'd mention that Atlanta has a negative point differential. That's pretty pathetic. They aren't getting by Orlando, even if Orlando isn't as good as they've been in the past.

clferg75
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM

I'm sorry, but this bulls team is not a team worthy of the #1 seed and took advantage of an old celtics squad that doesn't care about the regular season, a Heat team that is still trying to figure themselves out, and a vastly inferior conference in terms of competition. And I definitely don't think they are a team built to be a championship contender. Joakim Noah??? Get real........ That would be my upset pick, if the Pacers were better, but it still wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

All of this makes you sound so ignorant! Bulls probally wont be in the finals, because of thier shooting guard situation, but it wont be at the hands of the pacers. Also if the Heat are still trying to figure things out so are The Bulls with all the new players and injurys to key players.

nolin
04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
enough of these crazy upsets. Bulls will sweep. miami will sweep. Boston in 5 or 6 max. Magic in 7 . best series in East. In the West Spurs in 5. LA will sweep. ill take portland as the only lower seed movin on in 6. and OKC in 7 best series in the West...

clferg75
04-15-2011, 12:05 AM
^ What nolin said

allSUAVE
04-15-2011, 12:13 AM
memphis and blazers

Whomewhome
04-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I am surprised by how many people are picking Denver over OKC. I don't see it as much of a contest 5 games at most. OKC will put Denver to sleep fairly easily.

Saad
04-15-2011, 12:33 AM
I am surprised by how many people are picking Denver over OKC. I don't see it as much of a contest 5 games at most. OKC will put Denver to sleep fairly easily.

Denver is so deep thats why. Wilson Chandler is such an underrated defender and I think he will give Durant some problems. Durant will get his, but itll be difficult. They have Ty Lawson who has proved that he can be a starter in the NBA, and Felton off the bench, these two will definately cancel out Westbrook. Who on their team can stop Gallo? And we cant forget about Jr Smith who can go for 30+ any given night. Nene will not be as effective, he just needs to keep Perkins off the boards which is easier said than done. Lets not forget that this team was dealing with a lot of issues with the whole melo thing and it affected their play a lot. They are really hot right now, and very capable of beating OKC imo.

ohreally
04-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Memphis, and I hope Denver. In the East, the Magic in 2nd round.

JB0B0
04-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Portland over Dallas

DoubleDragon
04-15-2011, 02:08 AM

this

NYK4L
04-15-2011, 02:10 AM
New York Knickerbockers!!!!!!

GoatMilk
04-15-2011, 02:15 AM
seriously, who isn't picking Portland to beat Dallas? lol

PrestigeWldWde
04-15-2011, 02:22 AM
Sorry PAL, but what I posted wasn't the regular season. It was last years playoff series between the Magic and the Hawks. Learn to read before making yourself sound stupid.

Does your computer speak to you??? Does it read you the posts outloud???
If it doesn't, then I advise you to learn how to type sentences that make actual sense.

PrestigeWldWde
04-15-2011, 02:32 AM

Was the short bus late picking you up for school today?

That Joakim Noah quote might be one of the funniest things I have read hear...well, other than the rest of your blabber that is.

kikeyanez
04-15-2011, 02:39 AM
i get a feeling stoudamire & melo will upset the celtics & heat

JiffyMix88
04-15-2011, 03:24 AM

cool story bro but i actually thought the sixers would cause i upset regardless of who they played so i choose the sixers

BleedingGreen9
04-15-2011, 03:39 AM
i get a feeling stoudamire & melo will upset the celtics & heat

hahaha haha ha ha h h.....oh wait that wasnt a joke?

championships
04-15-2011, 04:04 AM
I am expecting Portland to beat Dallas, so my upset is Denver over OKC.. book it.

PrestigeWldWde
04-15-2011, 04:21 AM
I am expecting Portland to beat Dallas, so my upset is Denver over OKC.. book it.

I agree...check out my 1st post in this thread...i'm booking it too.

Sox72
04-15-2011, 04:25 AM
Sixers over the Heat. In 5. That team can't handle the pressure of the playoffs.

BUCSFORLIFE123
04-15-2011, 04:26 AM
cmon this is the nba, not the nfl, theres rarely any upsets esp the first round.
the best chance of one happening is the hawks beating the magics but thats not even a real upset

Whomewhome
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM

I really should have picked the Grizzlies my Gut told me this was gonna be a hard thought series but seems like the Grizzlies are walking away with it.

hotpotato1092
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd like to point out that I called Grizzlies over Spurs in the game one game thread, yay me.

Hustlenomics
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Imma say the Grizzlies and Hawks

NYKnicksAllDay
04-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Imma say the Grizzlies and Hawks

Such bold predictions.

TheRunKiller
04-25-2011, 11:34 PM

this guy was wrong :facepalm:

Whomewhome
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
this guy was wrong :facepalm:
Nuggets never stood a chance

Raph12
04-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Magic over the Hawks in a upsetting comeback ;)

Hustlenomics
04-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Such bold predictions.

just my gut feeling :rolleyes:

rabueed
04-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Why was this thread pulled up? To prove you were right? Do you get PSD points or something?