PDA

View Full Version : Whose Legacy Will Be Cemented and Whose Legacy Will Take A Hit In These Playoffs?

ko8e24
04-13-2011, 09:18 PM
That's the question.

I feel after winning his 6th championship and winning a 3rd Finals MVP, Kobe Bryant will cement his legacy as a top 5 player in NBA history.

The player who I feel will take a hit in terms of legacy is LeBron James because of his defection from a Cavs team to a Heat team, who is now supertalented.

What are your choices?

Discuss.

Bruno
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Personally, I don't think any one players legacy can be made, or broken based off one individual post-season. That's just me though.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
LeBron's legacy won't be cemented if they don't win it. They were expected to win right away, but I think a lot of people are realizing that even assembling three great players doesn't get you there right away. They have work to do....

Kobe probably has a lot to gain. Dirk's legacy could take a huge jump if the Mavs win it all. Durant might get to the top level of super stardom if the Thunder win it. LeBron does have a lot to gain too. Dwight and Rose as well...

It's one playoff season...nothing will be cemented either way really. A lot of people can gain a lot in terms of legacy, but no one's will be cemented shut, for sure.

poleandreel
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
i wish i could paypal bet every single laker fan on this site that the lakers will not win the championship. maybe i will make a betting system like that so i can easily win money on homers

Bruno
04-13-2011, 09:51 PM
i wish i could paypal bet every single laker fan on this site that the lakers will not win the championship. maybe i will make a betting system like that so i can easily win money on homers

Fans will be fans, but don't think there isn't any historical precedence supporting the possibility of a Laker three-peat, because there is:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584152

amos1er
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Or perhaps they will win easy money on you.

JasonJohnHorn
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I dont think anything Kobe does this year will put him in the top five. I mean, lets face it, guys who are potentially in the top five have jsut done things that nobody else can touch. Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Jordan, The Big O. I just cant see anybody in the league right now knocking any of those guys from the top 5.

Duncan, Kobe, Garnett/Pierce/Allen. The guys on those teams, regardless of how good any of them do this post season, or how poorly any of them do, have cemented a certain place in the history of the NBA. Now, guys like Gasol, Artest, Parker, Ginobili, Rondo, those guys could all raise their stock depending on how their post season looks.

And LeBron has and Co. have painted themselves into a corner. LBJ/Wade/Bosh have created an all-star team, and now anything less than a title is going to make them look bad. If they win, they will be expected to have done it with the talent they have (even if they are shot at C and PG and have no depth, its more a matter of percetpion), and if they fail to even get to the conference finals, their respective reps will take a hit for sure. Its a no-win situation for those guys, and a no lose situation for guys like Kone, Duncan, and the Boston trio.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
I just think that if LeBron and Co. don't win this year, and they get 3-4+ eventually in Miami, no one will care about this season when all is said and done. It's a long process for them...

The expectations were insane, so in the short term, for sure it will be a disappointment, but in terms of legacy, again, one season doesn't matter much.

amos1er
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I dont think anything Kobe does this year will put him in the top five. I mean, lets face it, guys who are potentially in the top five have jsut done things that nobody else can touch. Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Jordan, The Big O. I just cant see anybody in the league right now knocking any of those guys from the top 5.

Duncan, Kobe, Garnett/Pierce/Allen. The guys on those teams, regardless of how good any of them do this post season, or how poorly any of them do, have cemented a certain place in the history of the NBA. Now, guys like Gasol, Artest, Parker, Ginobili, Rondo, those guys could all raise their stock depending on how their post season looks.

And LeBron has and Co. have painted themselves into a corner. LBJ/Wade/Bosh have created an all-star team, and now anything less than a title is going to make them look bad. If they win, they will be expected to have done it with the talent they have (even if they are shot at C and PG and have no depth, its more a matter of percetpion), and if they fail to even get to the conference finals, their respective reps will take a hit for sure. Its a no-win situation for those guys, and a no lose situation for guys like Kone, Duncan, and the Boston trio.

If Kobe wins his 6th title and 3rd finals MVP, I would put him ahead of Big O for sure. Big O only won one title. I might also put him ahead of Wilt (only two titles and was only 7 footer in his era) and Maybe Russell (wasn't always the best player on his team).

Bruno
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM

That's very debatable. I could present an argument for Bryant over O (please don't ask me to :laugh2:)

mjqusoldier
04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Stat and Melo Stat and Melo Stat and Melo and Billups

210Don
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
timmy d will get his 5th ring and leap frog kobe!

Jewelz0376
04-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I think Kobe and Duncan would probably have the most to gain if they win...

I don't really think any player really has anything to lose...I guess if I had to pick someone I would say Lebron... and that's only if Lebron has a really bad series and they get eliminated... Although I feel like if Lebron truly is the best player in the league he has enough around him to where the Heat shouldn't lose to anyone, but maybe LA...

jzero
04-14-2011, 01:31 AM
who gives a ****
bring on playoffs!!! :D

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
If Kobe wins his 6th title and 3rd finals MVP, I would put him ahead of Big O for sure. Big O only won one title. I might also put him ahead of Wilt (only two titles and was only 7 footer in his era) and Maybe Russell (wasn't always the best player on his team).

The titles are certainly impressive, and you certainly have an arguement to make. Personally, I think averaging a triple-double for an entire season, and nearly averaging a triple double for most of your career is an amazing feat. The Big O didnt always have the kind of talent Kobe does, and when he did, he won (with Kareem). Wilt's career was just too impressive. 50 points a game, 25 rebounds a game and 48 minutes a game! That guy had crazy skills and conditioning. Just insane, and his lowest rebounding average, in his final season has yet to be matched by any player, and that was his WORST rebounding season. As for Russell, his ring count is clearly higher than Kobe's, and as for the finals MVP, forget winning three, the thing is NAMED after him. Kobe is dominant, and I say the best player in the world is between James and Kobe. But neither is top five in my book, not as of right now. This season isnt going to make or break the case for Kobe, but if he plays into his late 30's posting 25ish a game and is still winning titles, that will be a different story. And the guy can do it, his conditioning is incredible and his drive is as big as his ego, which I say as a compliment.

He keeps posting these numbers, he'll pass Kareem on all-time scoring list, and keep in mind, Jordan has six titles at the ripe age of 34! Kobe could be grabbing his 6th at 32! And with this Laker's team whose core is all going to still be playing at or near their peak over the next three season (Gasol, Odom, Artest, Bynum), and will likely be able to add talent via the MLE and draft each season, Kobe could be running for the title every season from now until he retires!

Tony_Starks
04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
If Kobe can win it all and get two 3 peats under his belt that puts him at a whole nother level. That would be a feat that may never be accomplished again.

If Boston could by some miracle win it all that would put them close to dynasty territory.

Lebron and the Heat are pretty much championship or bust, even though they do have some time to do it, anything less would be considered a failure this season.

RaiderLakersA's
04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Whoever wins the title will cement his legacy positively. I don't care what happens during the playoffs, it's the championship that matters. And given that basketball's system is designed for the best team to win, even a relatively unknown underdog team can have its top player vaulted into the annals of NBA history with a championship win. It's that simple.

kurivaimu
04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
If Dallas wins it Dirk will be considered the best non-american player ever. Ahead of Sabonis, Petrovic..
I also believe finally winning a title will benefit Kidds role in nba history

Pierzynski4Prez
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I think the person with the most to lose is Dirk. A 1st or 2nd round exit could be very harmful to how his career is viewed. Plus I also think that they are one of the top teams that will probably decline the next few years.

Everybody else for the most part is either too young to have their legacy cemented (rose, durant, dwight), already have won their titles (Kobe, SA crew, boston big 3), or will have plenty of chances to win one in the future (Miami big 3).

LOOTERX9
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
MELO's legacy can take a big step foward by going deep into playoffs in a major market like NY.

jrm2054
04-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Kobe will cement his and lebron and wade will take hits

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-14-2011, 02:57 PM

lol google the names Oscar Robertson and Wilt Chamberlain. Then come back, and try to tell me Kobe is above those guys. Kobe isn't even the best Laker of All-Time. Let alone in the top 5 All-time

Tarheels23
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
That's the question.

I feel after winning his 6th championship and winning a 3rd Finals MVP, Kobe Bryant will cement his legacy as a top 5 player in NBA history.

The player who I feel will take a hit in terms of legacy is LeBron James because of his defection from a Cavs team to a Heat team, who is now supertalented.

What are your choices?

Discuss.

Vets like Kobe, Kidd, Wade, the Celtics big 3 (maybe even Shaq), and the Spurs big 3 all can make a jump.

Dirk has the most to lose because he is already viewed as someone who is soft and cannot win in the playoffs. If they lose in the 1st round.... ouch.

The young guys like Dwight, Durant, Lebron, Rose etc really SHOULDNT be affected either way because they still have many more years in their careers left to add (or subtract) to their legacy.

nystandup
04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
MELO's legacy can take a big step foward by going deep into playoffs in a major market like NY.

if knicks can somehow pull out a round 1 win, melo and amare will be looked at differently going ito nexxt season....big IF tho

Pierzynski4Prez
04-14-2011, 03:14 PM
if knicks can somehow pull out a round 1 win, melo and amare will be looked at differently going ito nexxt season....big IF tho

I think that would be looked at more negatively towards the C's than positively for the Knicks. Amare and Melo have both been to conference finals in the past, so making the 2nd round doesn't add to anything. However for this celtics group to have a 1st round exit would not do anything to their individual legacies, but they would be viewed as done probably.

Bruno
04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
lol google the names Oscar Robertson and Wilt Chamberlain. Then come back, and try to tell me Kobe is above those guys. Kobe isn't even the best Laker of All-Time. Let alone in the top 5 All-time

Do you know how many times O led his team to 50+ wins? How many times he led them out of the second round?

If the Lakers win the title this year Bryant will have more Finals MVPs than both of them combined.

Bryants career regular season PER and post-season PER are higher than O's. Bryant doubles O in post-season WS.

Bryant absolutely has an argument over O. They are near equals from a statistical standpoint, and Bryant demolishes him in accolades.
I'm not going to make too bold of claims while the playoffs are still going on, but lets not pretend like it's not a debate; it is.

abe_froman
04-14-2011, 03:27 PM
cemented? i'd say none,but i think young guys like rose,kd,howard it will be part of the opening chapters for their legacy.

and i'll say this,if dirk and lebron fail in the playoffs again.it will kill their mainstream cred...for guys on here it wont change anything,but casual fans and for those in the media the best player tag will be gone

swirl54
04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
who gives a ****
bring on playoffs!!! :d
+1billion

midwestmadman
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
As much as I dislike Kobe, (even though I like him more than LeBron) I think he is already cemented himself as Top 5 even if they don't win another championship. I think guys like Rose, Howard, Dirk, and LeBron / Wade / Bosh have the most to gain with a championship. Having said that the only one's I'd give serious consideration too (as far as actually winning) would be Dirk, Rose, and the Heats big three (though I hate to admit it). Personally I think Bynums knee is really banged up more than he and the lakers are letting on, and that sucks because now the Lakers have an excuse if they are bounce in the WCF or sooner, still a very dangerous team, but now not as deep or big which is what they need to be thier best. As for the Celtics, I think they have the most to lose, after all thier dominace in the last 4 years they have 1 championship to show for it, they are all getting older, KG still plays great D but he can't do it alone, trading away Perkins was asinine and Anige should get the boot for that stupidity. This could be the end of the road for the Celtics (barring several off season moves for some youth).

Truely though I think it is make or break time for Dirk, one finals appearence in his career, he's been labeled soft, and thought he couldn't lead a team to a title, this year Chander has made it possible for the Mavs to hang thier hat on interior D and I like them to come out of the west, particularly with the Bynum situation, and the unknown status of Ginobili.

King P
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree with many of the responses in here. Also...

If Orlando doesn't do well in the playoffs, we might see the end of Dwight in a Magic uniform.

And if Wilson Chandler plays well in the playoffs, his stock goes up and he will be guarenteed a big pay day in the offseason.