PDA

View Full Version : Will LeBron have his number retired in Cleveland?

thekmp211
04-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Not sure if this has come up before. Will it happen? He is quite clearly the best player in franchise history..and also the most maligned.

Will the Cavs organization and fan-base reconcile their understandable bitterness towards LeBron, or just freeze him out? And is there a precedent for this?

justinnum1
04-13-2011, 07:07 PM
no

ManRam
04-13-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know. If they don't I can't imagine them retiring anyone's jersey for a very long time...

h2r09
04-13-2011, 07:08 PM
he should and quite frankly if in time they dont forgive and forget and at least honor what he did for that franchise in some way, it is pretty pathetic.

jockrider
04-13-2011, 07:16 PM
he should and quite frankly if in time they dont forgive and forget and at least honor what he did for that franchise in some way, it is pretty pathetic.

+1

as a raptor fan i know how it feels to be scorned by a superstar but after 8 years i feel like i have forgiven him ( carter) and appreciate what he did for us and would love if his number would someday hang from the rafters.

theheatles
04-13-2011, 07:19 PM
not under dan gilberts ownership...but in 20-30 years i can see it

nickdymez
04-13-2011, 07:22 PM

What did he do that Craig Eloh didnt? Im serious.. Having a good run isnt enough to retire someones jersey

allSUAVE
04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
he wouldn't rule out a come back to Cleveland that would be a great story if he went back and got them a title.

richiesaurus310
04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Eh maybe he'll go back to cleveland one day for one last run after his days in miami are over, so maybe.

NYSwagga
04-13-2011, 07:26 PM
he wouldn't rule out a come back to Cleveland that would be a great story if he went back and got them a title.

and MAYBE allen iverson will come back to the sixers next year,average 30ppg win mvp,and win his first ring.we can all dream

Avenged
04-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah. By the time he retires I'm sure they would have gotten over their heartbreak. He did a lot for that franchise and made them relevant. If it was a team like the Lakers or Celtics, most likely not. But for the Cavs? I think so.

Kevj77
04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
They will. He played there seven years, won two MVPs as a Cav, got them in the finals once and he will be a first ballot HOFer. He will probably play another 8-10 years by then the bad blood should settle down.

thekmp211
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
What did he do that Craig Eloh didnt? Im serious.. Having a good run isnt enough to retire someones jersey

i understand your point and sorta agree...but i think we both know there's a huge difference between lebron and eloh. and. as far as playoff success goes, lebron presided over the most successful era in cavs history by quite a margin. the franchises peak of excellence is 100% to do with one guy.

dtmagnet
04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
No, why would they? He pooped on the city on national t.v.

znick21
04-13-2011, 07:41 PM

what did he do for the franchise, tell them he wouldn't quit until he brought a championship to cleveland.....then quit? sure he his stats were awesome, he generated some money for the city, but other than that he carried himself like a complete douche and never won anything for cleveland, which is really all that matters.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Never in the history of ever.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I think they will consider it for sure. He has another 8-12 years in the NBA, plenty of time for them to forgive. He did a ton for the city of Cleveland on all levels. I would think his number will be retired in Cleveland

NetsPaint
04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
LeBron is a bonehead, but it's not like he purposely lost games for them. He wasn't even WITH the Cavaliers in the summer last year.

Hangtime
04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
By the time he retire no one will give a damn about how he left. They should and they probably will retire it.

robruss614
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
No way in hell, thats the price he paid when he left the way he did. He didnt even have the respect of telling cleveland brass about his decision before everyone else. But everyone expects them to pay homage to him for 8 years of service. It would be different if he actually made good on his promise to bring them a ring, but he didnt so the answere to the question is NO !!!

MrfadeawayJB
04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Dont think so but i could see them banning the #23 in spite of him

bholly
04-14-2011, 01:02 AM
If he wins a title in Miami, and plays out his career there, then that's going to become what people remember him most for. If that happens, I don't think Cleveland retire his jersey.
If he never wins one, or if he comes back to Cleveland and some point, then I can see it happening.

abe_froman
04-14-2011, 01:09 AM
he will ,by the time he retires the old wounds will have healed enough that honoring him wont create controversy.people are thinking of how far it will be in the future,they are just judging based on feelings now..which isnt smart as the wound is fresh.i mean there many org who retired jersey's of guys who parted on bad terms,but we dont remember it as that fades as time goes on

nickdymez
04-14-2011, 01:12 AM
I think they will consider it for sure. He has another 8-12 years in the NBA, plenty of time for them to forgive. He did a ton for the city of Cleveland on all levels. I would think his number will be retired in Cleveland

What did he do for the city?

Sadds The Gr8
04-14-2011, 01:13 AM
i don't know if the whole Decision thing denies what he did for 7 years there. i really don't know. i'll say no because i'd be surprised if they did retire it

MJ-BULLS
04-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Even though the city of Cleveland hates him right about now, i think its no question that they will retire his number, once a couple of years pass by and calls it quits.

abe_froman
04-14-2011, 01:15 AM

made them relevant for first time ever

blams
04-14-2011, 01:17 AM
He should have it retired in Cleveland, but I wouldn't be surprised if that joke of a franchise didn't do it. It will be retired in Miami when it's all said and done, no doubt.

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 01:27 AM

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/community/lbj_community_assist_award_060712.html

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/community/james_backtoschool_050829.html

http://www.regalmag.com/lebrons-dedication-community-involvement-programs-a-359.html

http://www.nbafrontpage.com/2011/03/lebron-james-to-help-stay-in-school.html

http://www.nba.com/nba_cares/lebron_playgrounds_080207.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/06/lebron_james_helping_kids_save.html

^that's just a very small percentage of what he did for them.

He was their golden child, their apple, their proudest moment. He brought more revenue to that city more than any other athlete in that city's history.
HE put that city on the worldwide map and made them relevant in the sporting universe. In short he did everything a sportsman can do for his city other than fulfill his biggest promise which was to bring them a championship.

NYK4L
04-14-2011, 01:27 AM
uuhhhh hell no

LayZbone
04-14-2011, 01:34 AM
nickdymez, saying he won't have it retired because he left and how he left is one thing, but saying he doesn't deserve it is beyond ridiculous. Stop being blinded by your hate. Lebron gave that franchise the best 7 years it's ever had, including trips to the ECF and Finals. If Tim Hardaway got his jersey retired in Miami, Mitch Richmond in Sac, Jeff Hornacek in Utah....not to mention Price/Daugherty/Carr/Nance for Cleveland....I mean c'mon.

LayZbone
04-14-2011, 01:38 AM

http://www.regalmag.com/lebrons-dedication-community-involvement-programs-a-359.html

He was their golden child, their apple, their proudest moment. He brought more revenue to that city more than any other athlete in that city's history.
HE put that city on the worldwide map and made them relevant in the sporting universe. In short he did everything a sportsman can do for his city other than fulfill his biggest promise which was to bring them a championship.

Not to mention shattering every record in the books for not only the franchise, but even some all-time NBA records. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_LeBron_James

jrands
04-14-2011, 01:39 AM
As someone who lived in Cleveland, I would say no. He really shiat on the City with that whole decision debacle. Just have to have lived there to understand.

FKNRUEHH925
04-14-2011, 01:44 AM
what did he do that craig eloh didnt? Im serious.. Having a good run isnt enough to retire someones jersey

+1

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 01:45 AM

You really need to stop with your non sense dude. You really need to stop.

Could you please tell me why they retired Brad Daugherty's jersey please?

While you are at it explain the reasoning behind Bingo Smith's, Larry Nance, Mark Price, Austin Carr and Nate Thurmond as well.

You have the audacity to compare what LeBron did as a Cav to Craig Ehlo. You wonder why people call you a hater. Posts like this is why dude.

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 01:47 AM
As someone who lived in Cleveland, I would say no. He really shiat on the City with that whole decision debacle. Just have to have lived there to understand.

How did you feel before "The Decision"? Had he been traded during the course of last season what would be your opinion on the course they would have taken on something such as this?

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Not to mention shattering every record in the books for not only the franchise, but even some all-time NBA records. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_LeBron_James

Of all the NBA franchises established in 1975 every single (none active/ qualified) franchise career leader (with the exception of Randy Smith of the Clippers who has never retired any player's #) in scoring jersey # has been retired. I mean honestly if Buck Williams' jersey could be retired by the Nets shouldn't LeBron's be by the Cavs. If a poster says because of the decision and the manner in which LeBron left the Cavs I could understand their reasoning but to say he doesn't deserve it because he didn't do enough. Plain foolish if you ask me.

jrands
04-14-2011, 02:02 AM
How did you feel before "The Decision"? Had he been traded during the course of last season what would be your opinion on the course they would have taken on something such as this?

If he had been traded, then I can see Lebron's number being retired possibly. However, that isn't what happened and the decision happened instead so...

RipCity32
04-14-2011, 02:08 AM
They should retire one of his burnt jerseys

LayZbone
04-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Of all the NBA franchises established in 1975 every single (none active/ qualified) franchise career leader in scoring jersey # has been retired. I mean honestly if Buck Williams' jersey could be retired by the Nets shouldn't LeBron's be by the Cavs. If a poster says because of the decision and the manner in which LeBron left the Cavs I could understand their reasoning but to say he doesn't deserve it because he didn't do enough. Plain foolish if you ask me.

100% agree with you.

danniboi168
04-14-2011, 02:14 AM
just dont see it happening.

SP17
04-14-2011, 02:33 AM
hope they do...Lebron did some good things for the franchise.

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 02:42 AM
After winning 8 consecutive titles with Miami (Octo-peat!) , LeBron signs a one-year deal with the Brooklyn Glorious Mother Russias, leading them to their first championship since their 1976 ABA title as the "Nets." Disappointed with his contractual requirement of having to live in Brooklyn ("for the love of God, how does one catch a cab in this godforsaken place?!"), LeBron decides against extending his contract and chooses instead to go full circle, returning home to Ohio to join perennial superstar Kyrie Irving (D-U-K-E) on the Cavaliers. Shortly thereafter, the Cavs make the NBA finals and defeat the Seattle Super-Duper-Sonics (new and improved!) in seven games. LeBron, having had enough #WINNING, rides off into the midwestern sunset. The Cavs pay homage to him by retiring both numbers 6 and 23.

NBA: Where Amazing Pipe Dreams Happen

Kashmir13579
04-14-2011, 03:00 AM
i think they ought to.

Whomewhome
04-14-2011, 03:07 AM
+1

as a raptor fan i know how it feels to be scorned by a superstar but after 8 years i feel like i have forgiven him ( carter) and appreciate what he did for us and would love if his number would someday hang from the rafters.
you get huge plus points for this comment. I have yet to find someone as sincere as you. And what bugs me more is that the Raptors fans are more upset at Vince then Bosh. Even after all these years. Bosh left you with nothing. Vince at least got you some scrap to work with for 1 year. (yeah I am talking about Eric Williams)

As for LeBron I for one hate the guy, but I don't see how they can't retire his Jersey, if they don't retire his jersey who's will they retire??

urlachermess
04-14-2011, 03:52 AM
I dont think it should...honestly he got you..............0 titles. I understand that he did bring the city alot of revenue but then just shat on you with the whole "decision" and just left you high and dry. I could understand that no player will take the number 23 just so it is not jynx thing but if he really wanted to make his number retired he should have finished his whole career as a cavalier. TBH what do you think LeBron would say to this question? If he brought a title home to this one man team yes it should be but since he did not no I do not believe it deserves to be retired

Heatcheck
04-14-2011, 09:37 AM
i was listening to paul silas in an interview. he said he was on the bus one time,ready to go to the game. when the general manager, came on the bus to tell someone they had been traded. pack ur ****.

Ask any former player if they ever informed their former team that they were leaving or vice-versa.

So lebron is a dick because he didnt tell the front office he was leaving even though nobody else, including the front office is expected to do so when they make a desicion like that?

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

ChitownSports16
04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Why would they??

sep11ie
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
This is like the 4th time somebody has posted this and I don't understand why. He doesn't deserve it at all. He never won them a ring, played there for just 7 years, and alientated the entire fanbase.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
If in 15 years or so Lebron is looked at as a time 5 all time player and won a 3+ titles I think the city will want to recognize one of its greats. I think its likely when its all said and done sour grapes will be gone and the city will embrace and welcome one of its iconic people. Its too fresh right now for people, but once people move on the hate will dissipate.

sammid21
04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
i think Cleveland should do what Miami did and retired Jordans #23 jersey, then they can tell lebron that #23 has already been retired lol (its a joke to get all defensive heat fans )

WrongIslander
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Have a permanent reminder that you can't even keep your own in the city hanging from the rafters?

Yeah right.

No dice.

Double_R
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Yea it has come up before and the answer is still no, unless he decides to come back to Cleveland later in his career in search of his first title.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM

While you are at it explain the reasoning behind Bingo Smith's, Larry Nance, Mark Price, Austin Carr and Nate Thurmond as well.

You have the audacity to compare what LeBron did as a Cav to Craig Ehlo. You wonder why people call you a hater. Posts like this is why dude.

Don't debate this guy, nickdymez is a close minded hater of all things not Lakers and a unconditional Kobe supporting regardless of what Kobe does. A large percentage of Lakers are this arrogant and act entitled, I find it best to not debate them because good points won't sink in anyway and they will only listen to people that say Kobe is good, Jordan is garbage and the league is fixed whenever the Lakers don't score more in a quarter.

There are Laker fans that are exceptions but its not worth the time and effort to argue with the type I just described, those type of fans and the fact that its a majority is exactly why I hate the Lakers.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Yea it has come up before and the answer is still no, unless he decides to come back to Cleveland later in his career in search of his first title.

So George Gervin, Alex English, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Pistol Pete Maravich, Allen Iverson, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, Dirk and Kidd if they does not win one, Barkley, Malone and Stockon in Utah, Elgin Baylor (Lakers won the year after he retired), are not worthy of numbers retired. Because they didn't win a title.

This isn't totally aimed at you this is aimed at everyone saying no because he didn't win a title.

Bravo95
04-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I say yes. There's a good chance the team will have a different owner by the time LeBron retires or is elected to the HOF. Deion Sanders left the Falcons on bad terms with the previous owner (they also trashed each other through the media, etc), but those harsh feelings went away after the team was sold to Arthur Blank. The Falcons retired his #21 last season. I think something similar will happen with LeBron and the Cavs.

Preacher
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Never in the history of ever.
:laugh2:

If you rephrase: "Will LeBron have his number burned repeatedly in Cleveland?"

Then yes.

Double_R
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
So George Gervin, Alex English, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Pistol Pete Maravich, Allen Iverson, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, Dirk and Kidd if they does not win one, Barkley, Malone and Stockon in Utah, Elgin Baylor (Lakers won the year after he retired), are not worthy of numbers retired. Because they didn't win a title.

This isn't totally aimed at you this is aimed at everyone saying no because he didn't win a title.

It's all good, but I never said anything about him not winning a title there being the reason. I just said if he comes back to Cleveland later in his career in search of his first title. More or less I was just saying that he is not going to win a title in Miami.

On that topic, I don't think that is the reason his number will not be retired. I think his number will not be retired by the Cavs because of the exit strategy that he used. Once that rift is created, it's too hard to get past. For example, Marcus Allen is known as a Raider, he won a Superbowl with the Raiders, a Superbowl MVP with the Raiders, he did just about everything in his career with the Raiders, but yet he and Al Davis had it out over some things and he went to the Chiefs.(I mainly think that Marcus was jealous of Bo Jackson and the playing time thing, but that's irrelevant) The point is that Marcus Allen is in the HOF as a Chief, not a Raider.

Preacher
04-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Bridges burned. Not going back. Go talk to some knowledgeable Cavs fans. He's dead to them.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM

How are Cleveland fans pathetic? And for the most part Cleveland fans are over LeBron. We don't want him back. And we don't want to retire his jersey. Why would we?
I think you're pathetic!

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 11:08 AM

No way! Not gonna happen. Cav fans don't want him. And Gilbert doesn't want him. But we do want to beat him now.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Eh maybe he'll go back to cleveland one day for one last run after his days in miami are over, so maybe.

No thanks! If young LeBron can't do it. Then there's no way old LeBron will.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 11:13 AM
nickdymez, saying he won't have it retired because he left and how he left is one thing, but saying he doesn't deserve it is beyond ridiculous. Stop being blinded by your hate. Lebron gave that franchise the best 7 years it's ever had, including trips to the ECF and Finals. If Tim Hardaway got his jersey retired in Miami, Mitch Richmond in Sac, Jeff Hornacek in Utah....not to mention Price/Daugherty/Carr/Nance for Cleveland....I mean c'mon.

And you're blinded by your delusional love for the Heat and LeBron!

THE_FLASH_21
04-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Could see it. And yea

AntiG
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Certainly deserves it. He was the best player in franchise history and basically single-handedly led the franchise to their one and only (and possibly ever) NBA finals, and was a multiple time MVP in a Cavs uniform.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Sorry but LeBron can't have it all. So what? He had great Stats in Cleveland. And maybe if he left the city in a respectable way then maybe in the future it would happen. And that's not hating. I'll tell you what you can retire his jersey in your bedroom.

Preacher
04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
+1

as a raptor fan i know how it feels to be scorned by a superstar but after 8 years i feel like i have forgiven him ( carter) and appreciate what he did for us and would love if his number would someday hang from the rafters.Good timing on this comment. Also a Raptors fan here. With VC it's easy. So much pure talent. There was a time when he could have been the best player in the game. Then other teams found out he did not like getting hit. Then he started faking up injuries and limping out of games. Followed by tanking his way out of town. And thanks to a true incompetent in GM Babcock, we could not even get 30 cents on the dollar for him. And he proved to be an occassionally decent producer whose talent has disappeared more and more.

To finally end up with Kidd running out of NJ away from him. The tease in Orlando. And his killing the Suns this year with the last trade. When he started quitting on his team he started quitting on his talent. And by the end he has few fans. No real place to call home. But a lot of $ in the bank. He jersey will never rise here. He soiled himself when he left town. And he's been doing it ever since. The tease of the great talent, only to fail when you really need him. No real fan can stomach this kind of a result. LeBron quit on his team in the playoffs before they were even done. Then broke up with them on National TV, which was as bad as could be done.

There's no going back for him.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 12:00 PM
i was listening to paul silas in an interview. he said he was on the bus one time,ready to go to the game. when the general manager, came on the bus to tell someone they had been traded. pack ur ****.

Ask any former player if they ever informed their former team that they were leaving or vice-versa.

So lebron is a dick because he didnt tell the front office he was leaving even though nobody else, including the front office is expected to do so when they make a desicion like that?

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

No LeBron's a dick for quitting in the playoffs, then going on National TV and announcing his decision, then thanking Akron but dissing Cleveland in the papers. And also tweeting **** about "Karma," and not showing up for player intros... the list goes on. He also promised Cleveland a championship.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
I think the Q should start selling Great Lakes "Quitness" on tap. That's the notoriety LeBrick should get.
And Miami will probably retire LeBron's jersey after this season. Even if they don't win a championship.

jimmyb33
04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
he will but not until gilbert is gone...cleveland will get over the hatred eventually

but he'll never play another game in a cavs uniform, that's just crazy talk

TO to the CHI
04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
+1

As a Raptor fan, I would be livid if Carter's jersey ever hangs from the rafters. With that in mind, I imagine a lot of LeBron's fans might feel the same way..... although he did accomplish a lot more during his time in Cleveland than Carter came close to thinking about accomplishing in Toronto.

thawv
04-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Why would they retire his number? He's not liked there, and he's even unlikeable. He not a Cleveland icon. They never won anything while he was there.

I always thought those were some of the things that are looked for when retiring a number.

LayZbone
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
And you're blinded by your delusional love for the Heat and LeBron!

You voted that Philly would sweep Miami in the playoffs. Who's delusional?

gotoHcarolina52
04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I think the Q should start selling Great Lakes "Quitness" on tap. That's the notoriety LeBrick should get.
And Miami will probably retire LeBron's jersey after this season. Even if they don't win a championship.

I think Miami definitely should. Would be a nice gesture to LeBron who has meant so much to our community this year. Plus, it'll be a fitting "F U" to Cleveland for being so damn petty.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Never happen. If he hadn't did the "decision" then maybe. But he'll never get love their after breaking up with them on a tv spectacle....

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2011, 02:03 PM

Last time I saw something as bitter as you have been on your 7 or so posts out of 10 I was eating a melon.

Seriously move on, let yourself get over this and your life will be less negative.

AllBall
04-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Such greatness should not grace the rafters of such a sports wasteland that is Cleavland barren of any championships.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Last time I saw something as bitter as you have been on your 7 or so posts out of 10 I was eating a melon.

Seriously move on, let yourself get over this and your life will be less negative.

Learn how to use similes and metaphors. Simile: you're as bitter as a melon or probably more accurate a lemon. Metaphor: you're a melon.
Sorry that you think I'm bitter but no one in Cleveland thinks his number should be retired.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Such greatness should not grace the rafters of such a sports wasteland that is Cleavland barren of any championships.

At least we have real fans not fair weather bandwagon ones like yourself.

Cano4prez
04-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Why is that Arch Stanton character always mad?

justinnum1
04-14-2011, 07:19 PM

:facepalm: I love how the haters refer to anyone with a join date after july 2010 as a bandwagon fan. And yes you are a hater, everyone of your posts hates on heat fans. Im assuming you were a fan of lebron before since you are a fan of the cavs, but to hate on heat fans is sad.

justinnum1
04-14-2011, 07:19 PM

cavs fan...

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
You voted that Philly would sweep Miami in the playoffs. Who's delusional?

You're a poll stalker! And why make a poll if people can't vote for what they want? Typical Heat fan mentality. 'you must agree with me.'

justinnum1
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
You're a poll stalker! And why make a poll if people can't vote for what they want? Typical Heat fan mentality. 'you must agree with me.'

there you go again attacking another heat fan

knicks4life33
04-14-2011, 07:24 PM
no

knicks4life33
04-14-2011, 07:25 PM
if dan gilbert is not the owner then his number mite mite be retired but no

smith&wesson
04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
no, i think thats the last thing clevland fans want to see...

the way lebron left was brutal. melo got denver soo much talent in return for himself and he is from new york the city he got traded too. lebron said nothing untill he was a free agent and then fled. clevland could have got soo much in return if they traded him but lebron never gave them that option and for that reason i say no. he doesnt deserve it.

but he will have his number retired in miami any ways.

justinnum1
04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
no, i think thats the last thing clevland fans want to see...

the way lebron left was brutal. melo got denver soo much talent in return for himself and he is from new york the city he got traded too. lebron said nothing untill he was a free agent and then fled. clevland could have got soo much in return if they traded him but lebron never gave them that option and for that reason i say no. he doesnt deserve it.

but he will have his number retired in miami any ways.

If he always wanted to go to miami and not anywhere else, where was cle gonna trade him? And they had the best record last season, why would they trade him???

Sadds The Gr8
04-14-2011, 07:40 PM

good point

NIUHuskies
04-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Will Vince Carter's # be retired by the Raptors?

knicks4life33
04-14-2011, 07:43 PM
i will agree if you did sign up after july 2010 you are a bandwagon fan of the heat . not saying everybody but alot of them cause where were all these heat fans on psd last year

Jonathan2323
04-14-2011, 07:45 PM
No way. Not as long as Gilbert is there even after that I doubt it.

JiffyMix88
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
retire it for?

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Learn how to use similes and metaphors. Simile: you're as bitter as a melon or probably more accurate a lemon. Metaphor: you're a melon.
Sorry that you think I'm bitter but no one in Cleveland thinks his number should be retired.

I know how to use similes and metaphors...there are times I use them and times I don't and there are bitter melons so a melon works so no need to use a lemon.

You don't make 7 posts that quick like you did (in terms of content) if there are no sour grapes.

Mane
04-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I think they should a long way down the road depending on how his career turns out overall. If he becomes like MJ caliber, absolutely.

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I am not even going to get into it with the ignoramuses who are disputing my posts because they obviously don't deserve to be in a common sense based debate. The point I was making was not for LeBron's jersey to be retired but that based on what he did for the city of Cleveland and his accomplishments with the franchise there is reason good reason why his jersey could be retired.

They are not expected to however because of the way he left the franchise and they may be justified in doing so.

Don't say he didn't do enough he did more than enough. Messed it all up with the decision however.

JustinLafferty
04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
No they shouldn't he left them in his prime....Will the Phoenix Suns retire Amare's jersey? Will Orlando retire Shaq's? Now add on top of that how he left? I just can't see them retiring his jersey unless he comes back at the end and don't win any titles at all....I mean he gave them plenty of years and is definitely deserving stats wise but leaving in the prime of your career in the way he did... I doubt it...

mrs rose
04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
i will agree if you did sign up after july 2010 you are a bandwagon fan of the heat . not saying everybody but alot of them cause where were all these heat fans on psd last year

i dont think thats fair,
some people are fans of lebron, fans of chris bosh, maybe a fan of what miami was able to do this season..

explain bandwagon..

i know a lot of the guys who post here HAVE BEEN HEAT FANS FOR A LONG TIME, so just because they didnt sign up to PSD does that make them any less than a fan?

viewing you are a knicks fan, im very sure their are extra fans to your fan base with the addition of melo, amare, and even billups..

some people are fans of players, others of teams.. so which one is the bandwagon and which one isnt?

who's to say but what i do know their have been a lot of miami fans since wade joined in 03.

are fans of miami when riley came in and brought in ZO, TIMMY, V LEONARD, and even thunder dan.

ive been a fan since birth, but with this "miami fans are bandwagon fans" theme its silly and causes so much drama here.

i know i found this site while i was deployed looking for trade rumors for my miami heat back in 2009.

so what you trying to tell me, if i didnt find this site till after summer 2010 would that make me less than a fan? and a bandwagon fan..

we use that term to loosely, and fans have been in miami but the attention wasnt there especially after the 15 win season.

i think how many non fans of the miami heat come to the miami heat page and view our threads...

i dont remember last season more than the faithfull 50 in our page and all were heat fans...

so the trolls who view our page, bait us, are they bandwagon haters?:confused:

thekmp211
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
whats the best historical precedent for this? maybe clemens going from the sox to the jays? but he ended up winning rings, which lebron hasn't done yet. the jordan effect of the modern superstar athlete really makes it difficult to compare to guys like wilt who changed teams during their primes. he was a star, but it wasn't possible in his era to be as globally accessible as it is for lebron. you might have to go back to the bambino, and even that was a trade. i just find it all very interesting.

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 08:29 PM
whats the best historical precedent for this? maybe clemens going from the sox to the jays? but he ended up winning rings, which lebron hasn't done yet. the jordan effect of the modern superstar athlete really makes it difficult to compare to guys like wilt who changed teams during their primes. he was a star, but it wasn't possible in his era to be as globally accessible as it is for lebron. you might have to go back to the bambino, and even that was a trade. i just find it all very interesting.

One could franchise leader in points scored of retired and qualified players (for example not Kobe for the Lakers but instead Jerry West). Of all the franchises established prior 1976 the Clippers are the only franchise whose career points leader's jersey is not retired. They are also the only one of those franchises who has never retired a player's jersey.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM

This is just an extended version of saying 'you Mad'. All you heat fans are the same. Same sigs, same arrogance, always starting threads about there team and no one else is relevant. And I guarantee if Miami loses in the playoffs three quarters of u will disappear till next season.

rawz
04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
LMFAO.

uh, no? is this a joke?

DwayneMVPwade
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Hell no!!!!

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=Cano4prez;17498465]Why is that Arch Stanton character always so awesome?

Baller1
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I think it'd be an utter disgrace if Cleveland didn't retire his jersey. Look past the hatred and realize that this guy resurrected sports in Cleveland.

justinnum1
04-14-2011, 08:59 PM
This is just an extended version of saying 'you Mad'. All you heat fans are the same. Same sigs, same arrogance, always starting threads about there team and no one else is relevant. And I guarantee if Miami loses in the playoffs three quarters of u will disappear till next season.

If lebron went to the knicks, would you feel the same way about the heat?

mrs rose
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I think it'd be an utter disgrace if Cleveland didn't retire his jersey. Look past the hatred and realize that this guy resurrected sports in Cleveland.

yup

samevans7
04-14-2011, 09:27 PM
And I guarantee if Miami loses in the playoffs three quarters of u will disappear till next season.

if they lose in the ECF or Finals, no. otherwise, i completely agree

Miami Heat have replaced the Colts, Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Thunder, and Celtics as the #1 bandwagon team in sports

04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
It would be more likely that the 23 gets retired NBA-wide before Cleveland retires it for LeBron unless he'd go back there after his Miami days and guide them to a ring or 2.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 09:46 PM
If lebron went to the knicks, would you feel the same way about the heat?

It depends do they have a celebration guaranteeing 8 championships before the season? Do the fans act the same way as they do now? I think we know the answers to those questions.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
I know how to use similes and metaphors...there are times I use them and times I don't and there are bitter melons so a melon works so no need to use a lemon.

You don't make 7 posts that quick like you did (in terms of content) if there are no sour grapes.

Well it seems like you weren't sure if you wanted to use them or you had no idea how to use it effectively.

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Well it seems like you weren't sure if you wanted to use them or you had no idea how to use it effectively.

What team are you a fan of?

justinnum1
04-14-2011, 09:58 PM

he'e a fan of the cavs,(which explains his hatred towards the heat and their fans)

juno10
04-14-2011, 09:59 PM
It depends do they have a celebration guaranteeing 8 championships before the season? Do the fans act the same way as they do now? I think we know the answers to those questions.

umm have you ever encountered cavs fans when they had lebron?

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 10:02 PM

You're completely ignorant and know nothing about sports in Cleveland. Cleveland is actually a great sports town and people went to games before LeBron and will go to games after him. He didn't resurrect ****. It was always there you dolt!
It would be an utter disgrace if they did retire his jersey and that's why it'll never happen.

Jonathan2323
04-14-2011, 10:05 PM

The team that plays the HEAT.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 10:05 PM
umm have you ever encountered cavs fans when they had lebron?

Yeah I live in Cleveland!

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
he'e a fan of the cavs,(which explains his hatred towards the heat and their fans)

One dimensional thinking from a pea brain!

juno10
04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Yeah I live in Cleveland!

and you think they're worse than heat fans ? nvm don't answer

cavs fans were the most arrogant people i have ever met.

Swashcuff
04-14-2011, 10:15 PM

The team that plays the HEAT.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

unleashthebeast
yea i think they will consider it, and eventually do it. but they wont retire it until gilbert leaves, that douche still hasnt even made a lebron HEAT fathead haha, no way he ever does anything halfway decent for lebron again

PhillyFaninLA

You're just plain pathetic. And I never had any intention of using a simile or metaphor you just want to think I wanted one there. You really have made yourself a pathetic joke in these last 3 pages since you feel the need to whine and whine and whine and try and tell people what they think because its what you want them to think your too much of a close minded pathetic joke to continue to talk to.

Arch Stanton
04-14-2011, 10:16 PM
and you think they're worse than heat fans ? nvm don't answer

cavs fans were the most arrogant people i have ever met.

You obviously haven't been on this site or this world very long.

ManRam
04-14-2011, 10:18 PM
This has run its course. Nothing more than a flame war now..