PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Calls Referee Bennie Adams 'F--king F--got'

Pages : [1] 2

Double_R
04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Mods not trying to push it, it's on front page ESPN. I love Kobe for this(not the exact statement, just talking siht to the refs)... I am not a homophobic person, nor do I care what someone does in their personal life, but I thought this was funny cause that is something that my circle of friends would have done.

Right before the playoffs, I wonder if he gets suspended or anything comes from it??? What do you guys think happens?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/kobe-bryant-curses-ref-bennie-adams_n_848574.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6344596

Evolution23
04-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Pure Comedy.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
OMG who cares? I hate the giant microscope the media has on certain players. Can't believe the actually brought in Rich Bucher to talk about bad words. :facepalm:

If they dont wanna see that type of stuff, dont put the camera directly on his face.

heyman321
04-13-2011, 02:09 PM
He should get a 20 game suspension and a forced 8 day trip to San Francisco.

iggypop123
i wonder if al sharpton will have march once he realizes the nba players use the word ****** all the time

albertc86
The title says "Kobe appears to utter homophobic slur at ref" --- when does appearing to say something become news worthy? Shouldn't it be confirmed first?

Evolution23
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Your not supposed to take this seriously, its just entertainment.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM

just send him to west Hollywood...

20 games seems fair.

Look, I don't see this as a big deal honestly. Obviously, because its Kobe, people will attempt to make something out of this. Look how pathetically sensitive our society has become. I for one, am so sick of the PC crap, I am all for complete free speech. If you want to sound like an idiot, go ahead. So? How does that effect me?

prodigy
04-13-2011, 02:14 PM
ref should of said f--king rapist! hahaha

Geargo Wallace
04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I heard that if you go to San Fransisco in the Spring they're having a sale on Birkenstocks.

tbone2171
04-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Seems about right..coming from him.

Double_R
04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
It's pretty insane that it's news but since it is, it's pretty damn funny to me.

He should have to ride a double seated bicycle taxi around Key West for the summer.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
In game, in the heat of things...it's not a huge deal. Definitely not something the league should be happy about, at all. Don't need your players acting and saying homophobic things. I don't know how the league will handle this, at the most he'll get a fine. It's just not something they want their players doing/saying. It's bad publicity.

Clearly he's getting a bit frustrated by things. But he shouldn't be throwing a temper tantrum like that, nor should he be yelling things like that :shrug:

Oh well, it really isn't a big deal, like I said. His decision to act that way, and it certainly doesn't affect me.

And my snark comment of the day: I can only imagine the vitriol that would occur if LeBron said/did this.

rhino17
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
The title says "Kobe appears to utter homophobic slur at ref" --- when does appearing to say something become news worthy? Shouldn't it be confirmed first?

watch the video, he clearly said it

ChiDougie19
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM

well d*** i literally laughed extremely hard...bravo

Geargo Wallace
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
In game, in the heat of things...it's not a huge deal. Definitely not something the league should be happy about, at all. Don't need your players acting and saying homophobic things. I don't know how the league will handle this, at the most he'll get a fine. It's just not something they want their players doing/saying. It's bad publicity.

Clearly he's getting a bit frustrated by things. But he shouldn't be throwing a temper tantrum like that, nor should he be yelling things like that :shrug:

Oh well, it really isn't a big deal, like I said. His decision to act that way, and it certainly doesn't affect me.

And my snark comment of the day: I can only imagine the vitriol that would occur if LeBron said/did this.

John Amechie is probably really upset.

JLynn943
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
sadly not surprised

Ray_R
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
So Kobe just a regular guy. :shrug:.

bulldog312
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I'd probably average about 2.4 homophobic slurs per 36 minutes if I played in the NBA :shrug:

heyman321
04-13-2011, 02:29 PM

If you acutally watched the game, you'd see he clearly said it lol. Steve Kerr even said "you might want to put your kids away for this part".

Kashmir13579
04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
We all know Kobe has a dirty mouth... this isn't really news. of course the media will try and spin it.

AllKohn
04-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I understand frustration-not classlessness.

Calling someone a f*cking fa**ot should never be accepted as funny or blown off with a "he was upset"

Mel Gibson was upset-he's still an anti semite.

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I'd probably average about 2.4 homophobic slurs per 36 minutes if I played in the NBA :shrug:

Your offensive win shares would be through the roof

iggypop123
04-13-2011, 02:34 PM
damn imagine if they inforced this policy in xbox live. 3 4ths of the people would be banned and deemed horrible human beings by this forum

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 02:34 PM

win

mjt20mik
04-13-2011, 02:36 PM
We will be seeing a apology letter soon, and all of this will blow through. He said it during the heat of the game.

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah I noticed that last night too. At first Im like did he just say what I thought he said? After re-watching it all I could do was laugh, thats pure comedy.

But why would you have the camera on a close up after a guy just got teched up and is clearly pissed off?

Anyway it was funny to me, I've heard far worse.... (see Kevin Garnett!)

edit*

Wow I just read the article. The gay and freakin lesbo alliance is involved in this already? Give me a damn break!

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I understand frustration-not classlessness.

Calling someone a f*cking fa**ot should never be accepted as funny or blown off with a "he was upset"

Mel Gibson was upset-he's still an anti semite.

what if its a true statement?

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 02:38 PM

20 games seems fair.

Look, I don't see this as a big deal honestly. Obviously, because its Kobe, people will attempt to make something out of this. Look how pathetically sensitive our society has become. I for one, am so sick of the PC crap, I am all for complete free speech. If you want to sound like an idiot, go ahead. So? How does that effect me?

this. could not agree more

Ray_R
04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
damn imagine if they inforced this policy in xbox live. 3 4ths of the people would be banned and deemed horrible human beings by this forum

I agree. People just like to seem themselves as a first class citizen.

We will be seeing a apology letter soon, and all of this will blow through. He said it during the heat of the game.

I see what you did there.

Gibby23
04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Would it be a problem if he called him straight?

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Would it be a problem if he called him straight?

I think that would've probably been more offensive. Im not so sure its socially acceptable to be openly hetero these days......

koLohe2133
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Do we know for a fact the ref isn't gay?

NYSwagga
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
do gays even watch bball?i thought the last fruitloop in the nba retired then came out

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Thread was alright until I got to this page. :cool:

koLohe2133
04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Rumor is Kobe will perform with Elton John at the 2011 draft....

Lighten up everyone

RaiderLakersA's
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Kobe should come out and apologize for the slur. Period, end of story. There is no cause for it, especially since the last time I checked, there are several thousand words that he could have called the ref that wouldn't have offended any part of the American mosaic. Well, except maybe other refs. :)

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Kobe should come out and apologize for the slur. Period, end of story. There is no cause for it, especially since the last time I checked, there are several thousand words that he could have called the ref that wouldn't have offended any part of the American mosaic. Well, except maybe other refs. :)

He did.

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
just the media making a big deal out of nothing. gays wont even know kobe said it. they dont even know who kobe is.

Jack_Meoff
04-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Public Apology, and a fine is the extent of what he should get, if they suspend him for a playoff game that would be ridiculous. Society is sensitive, yea it is, nothing new.... But this was during a game to clinch a 2nd seed in the playoffs, give him a break. GLAAD will make him out to be a monster.

iggypop123
04-13-2011, 03:06 PM
jordan called his teamate a ******. dont think he took any hits in the media. this is just a kobe thing

theLgndKllr35
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I hate how gay people get offended by gay slurs, and then act like he was wrong in saying so. Of course you should get offended, it was a word people came up with if for nothing else than to insult gays. It wasn't like homosexuals used to go around calling each other ******s to substitute for gay, and then people turned it into something deragatory, it's been meant for deragatory use from Day 1.

To make this short, basically homosexuals are getting offended at the fact people came up with "too good" an insult. People are so thin skinned nowadays. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones...but words will never hurt me"?

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 03:12 PM
do gays even watch bball?i thought the last fruitloop in the nba retired then came out

:laugh: winner

NYSwagga
04-13-2011, 03:12 PM
im guessing chris bosh took offense to kobes slur

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
just the media making a big deal out of nothing. gays wont even know kobe said it. they dont even know who kobe is.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Lim
04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
lol joe smiths arm almost got crushed

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I like how we take all insults so literal now days. So if he would've called him a dumb a ss instead would he have to apologize to PETA?

D Roses Bulls
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
WOW...... they made a big deal out of this? so what if he called him a ***. And for them to say it's racist, give me a ****ing break. Ive called my friends and brother a lot worse before and this was in the middle of the game. it's not like kobe said it to a fan or whatever. he said it to a damn ref and not even directly at him. I swear, people are too damn sensitive now a days.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't think this is a "Kobe" thing...

Joe Rogan (http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=joe+rogan+homoph&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=joe+rogan+homophobic)
Isaiah Washington (http://www.afterelton.com/people/2007/1/isaiahwashingtonfired)
Ozzie Guillen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2496753)
Larry Johnson (http://mashable.com/2009/10/28/larry-johnson-gay-slur-twitter/)

I could literally go on and on...it's not a "Kobe thing".

He's at his job, it's his job to be professional and represent the league in a proper and respectful manner. At the very least, whether you think we should be less PC, he wasn't professional and is subsequently bringing a black cloud around the league (he'll get fined IMO because of that). It isn't really defensible, IMO. I'm guilty of dropping slurs left and right, but never at work, never when I'm representing my employer or business, or never when I'm representing anything really. He's supposed to be a professional and a role-model. He knows better.

I do agree that many people won't be offended, but that doesn't make it okay :shrug: It's a derogatory, mean-spirited and offensive slur...no matter how you slice it.

MustWinGame7
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I hate how gay people get offended by gay slurs, and then act like he was wrong in saying so. Of course you should get offended, it was a word people came up with if for nothing else than to insult gays. It wasn't like homosexuals used to go around calling each other ******s to substitute for gay, and then people turned it into something deragatory, it's been meant for deragatory use from Day 1.

To make this short, basically homosexuals are getting offended at the fact people came up with "too good" an insult. People are so thin skinned nowadays. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones...but words will never hurt me"?

huh? I don't understand this...

But yeah, I think the Kobe thing is pretty much a non-issue. And, if it IS an issue, it certainly isn't as big of an issue as KG calling Charlie Villanueva a "cancer patient."

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
huh? I don't understand this...

Yeah, that post was pretty contradictory. :laugh2:

justinnum1
04-13-2011, 03:22 PM
what a classless piece of ****

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
The Lakers cant keep their composure.

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
And usher in the Heat fans.

To the Laker fans, it's not as big of a deal. If it were LeBron, then it wouldn't be a big deal to the Heat fans.

WickedBadMan
04-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Would have been epic if the ref turned around and was like, "What you say to me Eagle, Colorado?"

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 03:28 PM

Joe Rogan (http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=joe+rogan+homoph&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=joe+rogan+homophobic)
Isaiah Washington (http://www.afterelton.com/people/2007/1/isaiahwashingtonfired)

He's at his job, it's his job to be professional and represent the league in a proper and respectful manner. At the very least, whether you think we should be less PC, he wasn't professional and is subsequently bringing a black cloud around the league (he'll get fined IMO because of that). It isn't really defensible, IMO. I'm guilty of dropping slurs left and right, but never at work, never when I'm representing my employer or business, or never when I'm representing anything really. He's supposed to be a professional and a role-model. He knows better.

I do agree that many people won't be offended, but that doesn't make it okay :shrug: It's a derogatory, mean-spirited and offensive slur...no matter how you slice it.

idk what u do so correct me if im wrong but i dont think u can compare your work to the emotional game of basketball, like i said correct me if im wrong.

i dont think kobe meant it to bash gay ppl. he was emotional, clearly wasnt thinking. it happens. he just said the slur that came to his head. it just happend to be a gay bashing slur. how many times have u heard someone say "what a f--king ******!!"? is that person bashing ******** ppl? no. hes expressing anger/frustration. just picked a poor choice of words to express it

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Would have been epic if the ref turned around and was like, "What you say to me Eagle, Colorado?"

Kobe probably would have replied with "not guilty.....f@g"

iggypop123
04-13-2011, 03:31 PM

good point. but can anyone else help me. remember when it came our jordan called that to kwame. was there any outrage? story? or anything?

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:32 PM
idk what u do so correct me if im wrong but i dont think u can compare your work to the emotional game of basketball, like i said correct me if im wrong.

i dont think kobe meant it to bash gay ppl. he was emotional, clearly wasnt thinking. it happens. he just said the slur that came to his head. it just happend to be a gay bashing slur. how many times have u heard someone say "what a f--king ******!!"? is that person bashing ******** ppl? no. hes expressing anger/frustration. just picked a poor choice of words to express it

Yes it was emotional, and I don't blame him for being angry, but it was still pretty inexcusable. And this is coming from a Laker fan. Say whatever you want, but when you're on national TV as an ambassador of the LA Lakers, the NBA, and the United States...then watch your mouth. However if this hadn't been on TNT, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. That being said I'm not denouncing Kobe, burning my jersey, and moving overseas or anything. It was just unfortunate.

Crackadalic
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Seriously? i call people gay or *****t in a non-homophobic way all the time. I get that its bad but people are way to sensitive. Do people make a big deal when comedians talk about it our pull out a racial slur? As sad as that is its part of what society is and nothing is gonna change but its not something to make a big deal out of unless someone gets hurt

Especially on the basketball court i would have been on fire from day 1 the stuff i would say in the heat of the moment

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Everything you said here is correct, but let's put it context. NBA players are out there dropping enough N-bombs and curse words to make a sailor blush, a lot of which I've actually heard them say on live TV. That doesn't make it ok, but it certainly isn't an isolated incident.

h2r09
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
if its kobe or rose it is blown off, but if lebron does this do you understnd the amount of hate he would be getting right now? dont even deny that double standard because you all know thats true.

braveniler58
Wow, the majority of you guys are ****ing idiots.

Using the term "******" (what Kobe said) that way is the same as using "******" (think black people, KKK, etc) "chink" "jap" "******" or any other kind of derogatory term.

It doesn't matter if Kobe was frustrated when he said it. The fact is, he said it. The fact that it's in his vocabulary means he doesn't look at the gay community equally as every other community out there.

Shows his true character, IMO. I thought my respect for Kobe was already at rock bottom, but man, I was wrong.

By the way? I'm gay. I watch basketball. We do exist. Stop being ignorant, you ****ing idiots.

williams

Gay nba fan here.

WE EXIST.

Not offended by Kobe Ė the insult he threw had nothing to do with homosexuality at all. Itís like calling someone a douche. You donít really think the person is a douche. You donít have anything against douches. Itís just an insult - a stupid insult - but one thatís very commonly used and has lost most of its meaning/hurtfulness.

These dumb f*&ckers on here saying gays donít know who Kobe is or that we wouldnít watch sports are IGNORANT.

Weíre everywhere. Better watch out, you might catch it.

Tony_Starks
I guess nobody watches Celtic games on the satellite because this word and the N word are in pretty heavy rotation. I could care less but then again if I was sitting courtside with the little ones there would probably have to be alot of explaining on the way home......

justinnum1
i now see why heat fans are bashing kobe,how disrespectful of him to talk about chris boshs people like that,dont be suprised if chris bosh specks publicly about this

oh look, another baiting post from our favorite dup acct.

justinnum1
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Seriously? i call people gay or *****t in a non-homophobic way all the time. I get that its bad but people are way to sensitive. Do people make a big deal when comedians talk about it our pull out a racial slur? As sad as that is its part of what society is and nothing is gonna change but its not something to make a big deal out of unless someone gets hurt

Especially on the basketball court i would have been on fire from day 1 the stuff i would say in the heat of the moment

Its inappropriate...do you call people those names in the presence of young children?

Missing56&33
all the refs are f--king f--gots they don't let the players play the game. you can't even react because they feel like they are being showed up.

DoubleDragon
OMG who cares? I hate the giant microscope the media has on certain players. Can't believe the actually brought in Rich Bucher to talk about bad words. :facepalm:

If they dont wanna see that type of stuff, dont put the camera directly on his face.

EXACTLY.

And you know who says the word f--g-t the most out of people I know? my wife has gay friends/partners she's known for years, and they shout it at their friends and/or people they get irritated with...no story here, only oversensitive, hungry media and the overtly political bloodhounds looking for meaning behind slanged out profanity said in the heat of the moment. Reminds me of PJ's comment about penetration and the movie "Brokeback Mountain"

Jeesh, lighten up people! and BTW, I drive pretty good but my mother (Asian) is the worst:D (she jokes all the time about it) it's just getting way to intolerant out there.

Purple&Gold24
This should all blow over starting saturday night.

dnewguy
Gay nba fan here.

WE EXIST.

Not offended by Kobe Ė the insult he threw had nothing to do with homosexuality at all. Itís like calling someone a douche. You donít really think the person is a douche. You donít have anything against douches. Itís just an insult - a stupid insult - but one thatís very commonly used and has lost most of its meaning/hurtfulness.

These dumb f*&ckers on here saying gays donít know who Kobe is or that we wouldnít watch sports are IGNORANT.

I knew that already, I live in Atlanta.

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 03:41 PM
if its kobe or rose it is blown off, but if lebron does this do you understnd the amount of hate he would be getting right now? dont even deny that double standard because you all know thats true.

If it was lebron, Bulls and Lakers fans will be calling for his head......lets not forget that most NBA analyst and refs are also from...............well you guessed it right, L.A and Chicago.

Purple&Gold24
04-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Gay nba fan here.

WE EXIST.

There you go. Thanks for sharing bro. This should shut people the (slur) up :D

NYK4L
04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
He should know by now the cameras are always in his face :facepalm:

DoubleDragon
04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Gay nba fan here.

WE EXIST.

:clap::dance2: now the last line is genius

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Its inappropriate...do you call people those names in the presence of young children?

That's what I thought, it's inappropriate no matter how you look at it. If I was Stern, that's a automatic 5 game suspension.

mikealike305
Yes it was emotional, and I don't blame him for being angry, but it was still pretty inexcusable. And this is coming from a Laker fan. Say whatever you want, but when you're on national TV as an ambassador of the LA Lakers, the NBA, and the United States...then watch your mouth. However if this hadn't been on TNT, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. That being said I'm not denouncing Kobe, burning my jersey, and moving overseas or anything. It was just unfortunate.

im not saying it was right. it was unfortunate. all im saying is it shouldnt turn into something its not, which is a big deal. ive thrown slurs out when i compete. i dont think, i just say. not that its right but u have to understand the nature of the sport. its going to happen. it would be unfair to expect this NOT to happen. the NBA wants their cake and to eat it to. u cant get guys this emotional, and playing at this high of a level. yet have them not show their emotion the way they are most used to doing it. like i said, is he right? no. but at the same time its not a big deal

NYSwagga
this is my 1st and only account buddy.i know that hearing the truth about chris bosh hurts but pick the tears up,

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
That's what I thought, it's inappropriate no matter how you look at it. If I was Stern, that's a automatic 5 game suspension.

:laugh: And LeBron would be PAID if he said it.

Ray_R
04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
If it was lebron, Bulls and Lakers fans will be calling for his head......lets not forget that most NBA analyst and refs are also from...............well you guessed it right, L.A and Chicago.

Wouldn't that be ironic.

NYSwagga
Gay nba fan here.

WE EXIST.

hey what do you like most about the nba?

Crackadalic

No because children has no business hearing such words. They would say it without knowing what it means. That was my problem growing up. I heard a lot of words i wasnt suppose to hear and it pretty much stuck to me but but no means am i homophobic nor racist. too much hate in the world as it is for that non-sense.

Double_R
04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Gay nba fan here.

WE EXIST

That ish is funny. Exactly, there is nothing meant by it at all, it's just a saying.

Somebody must have went Kobe on that Dude above your post.

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Dude this is not a gay dating website, you can pm the lady and introduce yourself. This thread is for discussions, not introductions.

S.J.Basketball
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Using the term "******" (what Kobe said) that way is the same as using "******" (think black people, KKK, etc) "chink" "jap" "******" or any other kind of derogatory term.

It doesn't matter if Kobe was frustrated when he said it. The fact is, he said it. The fact that it's in his vocabulary means he doesn't look at the gay community equally as every other community out there.

Shows his true character, IMO. I thought my respect for Kobe was already at rock bottom, but man, I was wrong.

By the way? I'm gay. I watch basketball. We do exist. Stop being ignorant, you ****ing idiots.

Brah, I use the term "gay" as in, "Man, that's ****ing GAY." all the time and it literally has nothing to do with your preference of what gender you like to have sex with and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with me looking down on your "community." And Kobe doesn't need your approval either. Neither does anyone else here.

still1ballin
04-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Who cares.

williams
04-13-2011, 03:49 PM

chris bosh ;o)

just kidding.

NYSwagga
04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Dude this is not a gay dating website, you can pm the lady and introduce yourself. This thread is for discussions, not introductions.

yea im not a fruitloop like yourself so you can chill,dont u know how people poke jokes at gays like yourself by asking them questions like that

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 03:52 PM

See I don't really agree with the "racial slur" analogy because for the most part racial slurs are typically directed toward that particular race alone with a certain intent (except for the N word but thats a WHOLE nother story.) Like If I get mad at my black friend Im not going to call him a dumb cracker for instance. When you use those terms toward another race there's usually some malice behind it.

However with this "f" word hetero males call each other this all the time. I can't count how many times someone has done something stupid and Im like dude quit being a F. That happens in every race that I know of in America.

At a certain point we adopted that insult along the lines of "jerk" or "idiot" so to me its a little presumptious to assume everytime someone says that word they're this big anti-gay, basher homophobe...... IMO

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Sounds like you like having a dictator for a commissioner. So as you're suspending Kobe for 5 games, what are you going to do about all the other players who use racial slurs, curse words, and homophobic slurs? Can't suspend the whole league, and you can't single out one person because he was unfortunate enough to be caught on TV saying it.

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Who cares.

the NBA cares...... and gay ppl.... and sensitive straight ppl..... thats about it

Ray_R
See I don't really agree with the "racial slur" analogy because for the most part racial slurs are typically directed toward that particular race alone with a certain intent (except for the N word but thats a WHOLE nother story.) Like If I get mad at my black friend Im not going to call him a dumb cracker for instance. When you use those terms toward another race there's usually some malice behind it.

However with this "f" word hetero males call each other this all the time. I can't count how many times someone has done something stupid and Im like dude quit being a F. That happens in every race that I know of in America.

At a certain point we adopted that insult along the lines of "jerk" or "idiot" so to me its a little presumptious to assume everytime someone says that word they're this big anti-gay, basher homophobe...... IMO

I agree.

geraptor
why did he slap his teammate?

braveniler58
04-13-2011, 03:56 PM
That ish is funny. Exactly, there is nothing meant by it at all, it's just a saying.

Somebody must have went Kobe on that Dude above your post.

Yeah, I know my post is probably an overreaction, but I had a discussion with one of my best friends, who is a woman and a lesbian and a gigantic Laker fan. She hates Kobe, though (as do I), and that conversation just really made me a little peeved.

Well, the conversation and some of the things that were said here.

Oh well, what was said is said.

Fool
04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
why did he slap his teammate?

He elbowed the chair next to him. I think he caught a little of the shirt, or maybe he did catch the arm a little bit.

Crackadalic
04-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Pretty much this. I have gay friends who believe the F word are use for people who are just sissys and not just for gay people.

geraptor
He elbowed the chair next to him. I think he caught a little of the shirt, or maybe he did catch the arm a little bit.

that was akward.

mttwlsn16

:facepalm: grow a pair
its not like kobe meant it as in insult to gays
he said it out of frustration. call me whatever name u want i would never care, stop being so soft

braveniler58
04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Brah, I use the term "gay" as in, "Man, that's ****ing GAY." all the time and it literally has nothing to do with your preference of what gender you like to have sex with and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with me looking down on your "community." And Kobe doesn't need your approval either. Neither does anyone else here.

I used to say the same myself, actually. I used to think "Oh, I get to say that however much I want since I'm actually gay," but it doesn't really work that way. Whether your intentions were to offend the gay community or not, that tends to be the result.

Nobody's approval is needed here. It's just a matter of respect. Anytime you use a word that may refer to a minority (or a majority, doesn't matter) negatively, that group will be offended. It doesn't matter if you were trying to insult them or not. That's just how it works.

How about just saying "That's ****ing stupid" instead of "that's ****ing gay"? The only people you'd offend are the stupid people, and they're too stupid to understand they're being insulted.

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
yea im not a fruitloop like yourself so you can chill,dont u know how people poke jokes at gays like yourself by asking them questions like that

I knew your intentions. Mocking someone for been gay is not permitted on this forum.....#justlettingyouknow.

Bullsfan22
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
How is this a "racial" slur?

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Sounds like you like having a dictator for a commissioner. So as you're suspending Kobe for 5 games, what are you going to do about all the other players who use racial slurs, curse words, and homophobic slurs? Can't suspend the whole league, and you can't single out one person because he was unfortunate enough to be caught on TV saying it.

Wrong, that's not dictatorship, it's enforcing the rules. Those type of things shouldn't have a place in the NBA, we are talking about grown men here. In addition, I was been generous with the 5 game suspension because he will miss 4 play-off games.

bulldog312
04-13-2011, 04:06 PM
The only way that should be offensive in todays society is if the ref is gay and Kobe knows the ref is gay and is intending it to be taken literally. While I have no ideal about the refs sexual preference, I'm going to assume that isn't the case here. If you are offended by this you are way too ****ing sensitive. You should not be offended by a generalized insult that is not even directed at you.

PrestigeWldWde
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Mods not trying to push it, it's on front page ESPN. I love Kobe for this(not the exact statement, just talking siht to the refs)... I am not a homophobic person, nor do I care what someone does in their personal life, but I thought this was funny cause that is something that my circle of friends would have done.

Right before the playoffs, I wonder if he gets suspended or anything comes from it??? What do you guys think happens?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/kobe-bryant-curses-ref-bennie-adams_n_848574.html

Sounds like a real group of winners.:facepalm:

braveniler58
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
:facepalm: grow a pair
its not like kobe meant it as in insult to gays
he said it out of frustration. call me whatever name u want i would never care, stop being so soft

It doesn't matter what Kobe's intention was. I personally wasn't offended by it, but I have many friends who would have been/are.

There's plenty other words Kobe could use to express his frustrations. ****** shouldn't be one of them.

In a country where gay people are constantly fighting to earn the right to marry, any fiasco like this makes things worse for them.

To be quite honest, if you aren't involved with the gay community, you're not going to understand the backlash of comments like that.

Double_R
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I know my post is probably an overreaction, but I had a discussion with one of my best friends, who is a woman and a lesbian and a gigantic Laker fan. She hates Kobe, though (as do I), and that conversation just really made me a little peeved.

Well, the conversation and some of the things that were said here.

Oh well, what was said is said.

You have to realize that a lot of the people on here are just typing to be funny etc. most are young, aren't really homophobic, they could care less about the the word itself, it's just something that is said as an insult. The reality of this situation is that Kobe is not a gay basher, not homophobic, and didn't think the ref was gay when he said it.

It's not like some gay dudes tried to get his auto and he was like get out of here you ****.

NYSwagga
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
kobes taking a page out of tim hardaways journal

MagicHero3
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
no one calls the cancer association when KG makes a comment about Charlie V about looking like a cancer patient, but when kobe cusses (not even AT ANYONES FACE) its like "lets call the gay and lesbian president and get a comment!"

honestly, was he calling a homosexual that name? no...
its just like saying "*****!" or any other cuss word found from frustration.
It really doesnt mean hes homophobic or anti-homosexual at all.
I think they need to move on with their lives instead of making a deal about this

dnewguy
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
You have to realize that a lot of the people on here are just typing to be funny etc. most are young, aren't really homophobic, they could care less about the the word itself, it's just something that is said as an insult. The reality of this situation is that Kobe is not a gay basher, not homophobic, and didn't think the ref was gay when he said it.

It's not like some gay dudes tried to get his auto and he was like get out of here you ****.

In other words you are asking us to put it in perspective, rather than ask Kobe to be professional.

Double_R
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds likea real group of winners.:facepalm:

We are winning, sounds like you are not.

If you actually read the whole post, you would understand that I said the reaction is the something, not the statement itself. I'm sorry, you must be into emotionless basketball.

Winning!

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=braveniler58;17480765]It doesn't matter what Kobe's intention was. I personally wasn't offended by it, but I have many friends who would have been/are.

There's plenty other words Kobe could use to express his frustrations. ****** shouldn't be one of them.

In a country where gay people are constantly fighting to earn the right to marry, any fiasco like this makes things worse for them.

To be quite honest, if you aren't involved with the gay community, you're not going to understand the backlash of comments like that.[/QUOTE

2 of my 4 sisters are gay and i have 2 gay male cusins. one of which is in the navy where he has to hide who he is. so i understand. i just dont see this particular innodent as that big of a deal

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
"homophobic? na u just hetorophobic"-slim shady lol

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I find the fact that espn actually made a big deal out of this and that there are already actual statements being released more offensive than what he said by the way. There was nothing to be gained by blowing this out of proportion other than a soap opera headline.

I wish we could just stick to basketball man leave all this politically correct stuff outside of sports where it belongs. This is supposed to be a safehaven where we can escape from all that crap!

braveniler58
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
It doesn't matter what Kobe's intention was. I personally wasn't offended by it, but I have many friends who would have been/are.

To be quite honest, if you aren't involved with the gay community, you're not going to understand the backlash of comments like that.

2 of my 4 sisters are gay and i have 2 gay male cusins. one of which is in the navy where he has to hide who he is. so i understand. i just dont see this particular innodent as that big of a deal

I think it can become a big deal, for one reason. Sure, people say it all the time, etc etc, but this is Kobe we're talking about. I don't think I need to explain how popular Kobe is. We all know how many fans he has. He has little kids who have little Kobe jerseys going all around running, pretending to be Kobe.

If they know Kobe throws around ******-bombs, they're going to do the same thing. And since they're kids, they're not going to realize that Kobe didn't mean it to actually insult gay people. The kids are going to build a dislike/hatred for gay people subconsciously.

Is it their fault? No. But that's what happens.

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Wrong, that's not dictatorship, it's enforcing the rules. Those type of things shouldn't have a place in the NBA, we are talking about grown men here. In addition, I was been generous with the 5 game suspension because he will miss 4 play-off games.

Oh sorry, I thought punishing people for something that is defended in the constitution was along the lines of dictatorship. Anyways you would be setting a terrible and honestly ridiculous precedent. You get a 1 game suspension for throwing a punch at someone, but you get 5 games (a GENEROUS 5 games at that) for using a word most people aren't offended by. And you wouldn't even be punishing him for using it, it's more along the lines of punishing him because he happened to be getting a close up at the time he said it. This kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME, if you want to punish one person then punish the whole NBA...for 5 games

braveniler58
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I find the fact that espn actually made a big deal out of this and that there are already actual statements being released more offensive than what he said by the way. There was nothing to be gained by blowing this out of proportion other than a soap opera headline.

I wish we could just stick to basketball man leave all this politically correct stuff outside of sports where it belongs. This is supposed to be a safehaven where we can escape from all that crap!

It is still a safe haven. Just don't click on the link? :P

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
If LeBron had done this . . . .

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I think it can become a big deal, for one reason. Sure, people say it all the time, etc etc, but this is Kobe we're talking about. I don't think I need to explain how popular Kobe is. We all know how many fans he has. He has little kids who have little Kobe jerseys going all around running, pretending to be Kobe.

If they know Kobe throws around ******-bombs, they're going to do the same thing. And since they're kids, they're not going to realize that Kobe didn't mean it to actually insult gay people. The kids are going to build a dislike/hatred for gay people subconsciously.

Is it their fault? No. But that's what happens.

yea lets blame other ppl other than the parents of these kids for not being taught correctlly :facepalm:

kids are going to learn alll kinds of crap thru media. just the way it is. nothing will change that. i mean just turn on t.v. u dont think girls wanna be sluts like the female music artist or little boys dont waant be thugs like 2pac? that life. its up to the parents to teach them right and wrong. if the parents dont do their job thats not kobes fault

Piercefan34
04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
this is ****ing bull because KG was accused of "possibly" calling charlie v a cancer patient and then everyone ripped him a new one. and now kobe calls a ref a ****ing ****** and its clear and obvious everyones defending him? no thats crap

PrestigeWldWde
04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
We are winning, sounds like you are not.

If you actually read the whole post, you would understand that I said the reaction is the something, not the statement itself. I'm sorry, you must be into emotionless basketball.

Winning!

Who is "we"? Does it take more than 1 idiot in a green ski mask to type a post? Do you really think I just went to the middle of the post and read 1 sentence instead of reading the whole post? Have you finished grade school? I'm guessing you haven't. I'm glad you are considering yourself a winner, because that's probably the only way you hear it.

williams
04-13-2011, 04:33 PM
i guess it really comes down to whether you think they're responsible for being role models.

i don't. many if not most nba players are dumb as stone. they.put.ball.in.hoop. the end. i enjoy watching the game. i don't give a ratsass what they have to say about anything else. my favourite player for a long time was ron artest. would anyone ever encourage their kids to listen to ron ron?

maybe people should let their kids know that kobe and all these other famous people are nothing more than glorified clowns there for our entertainment. don't listen to them.

Bravo95
04-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Nothing like that fresh smell of hypocrisy in the afternoon.

Bravo95
04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Dp

danniboi168
04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Hilarious poor teammate that got hit for no reason.

PrestigeWldWde
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Nothing like that fresh smell of hypocrisy in the afternoon.

Nothing like posting the exact same thing twice.

Rico1455
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Aww Poor Kobe you didn't get a call to go your way. Crybaby

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Aww Poor Kobe you didn't get a call to go your way. Crybaby

is kobe a member of PSD or something? or u just felt like saying that?

CityofChaos
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I heard that if you go to San Fransisco in the Spring they're having a sale on Birkenstocks.

Are you a ****ing ******?

RCarlson85
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM

I was actually thinking this same thing. I don't think it's that big of a deal and it doesn't really bother me, but I have a feeling it would be a different story if Lebron said it.

ironman9518
04-13-2011, 05:03 PM
"Discriminatory slurs have no place on or off the court," Jarrett Barrios said. "Professional sports players need to set a better example for young people who use words like this on the playground and in our schools, creating a climate of intolerance and hostility. The LA Lakers have a responsibility to educate their fans about why this word is unacceptable."

LOL is it really there job to teach the fans that ****** is a bad word? classic espn and organizations like the gay and lesbo people to blow something like this WAYYYY out of proportion

PrestigeWldWde
04-13-2011, 05:09 PM
is kobe a member of PSD or something? or u just felt like saying that?

Is that really the 1st time you have seen people typing to others who probably don't have an account here? Do you think he's serious? Or do you not understand that's he's exaggerating just a little bit?

sixerfixer
04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
And Kobe wasn't even really sorry he said it either. He didn't say he was sorry to the ref, and the fans who heard it on TV. He just said it was said in the heat of the moment. Oh, so that makes it okay ? If I was that Ref, and Kobe said that to me, I would have walked right over to him, got 1 inch from his face, and replied,,," Really ?, That's not what your wife thinks. Try asking her NEEDLE D!CK "

And Kobe wouldn't have done a DAMN thing!

E.O.21
04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Kobes a little prick crybaby **** him

Gram
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Are you a ****ing ******?

Geargo's alot cooler than a guy who calls himself CityOfChaos...lol.

Gram
And haha at Kobe.

Lakers + Giants

:p:moon::silly:

Bruno
04-13-2011, 05:25 PM

20 games seems fair.

:clap::clap:

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 05:26 PM
And Kobe wasn't even really sorry he said it either. He didn't say he was sorry to the ref, and the fans who heard it on TV. He just said it was said in the heat of the moment. Oh, so that makes it okay ? If I was that Ref, and Kobe said that to me, I would have walked right over to him, got 1 inch from his face, and replied,,," Really ?, That's not what your wife thinks. Try asking her NEEDLE D!CK "

And Kobe wouldn't have done a DAMN thing!

The internet is exactly like the NBA. Everyone thinks they're a tough guy

Sadds The Gr8
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
ďWhat I said last night should not be taken literally. My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period,Ē Bryant said in a statement issued through the Lakers on Wednesday. ďThe words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.Ē

Gay-rights groups issued statements denouncing Bryantís actions.

ďWhat a disgrace for Kobe Bryant to use such horribly offensive and distasteful language, especially when millions of people are watching,Ē the Human Rights Campaign, a leading gay-rights group, said.

Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, said in a separate statement that slurs have no place on or off the court.

ďProfessional sports players need to set a better example for young people who use words like this on the playground and in our schools, creating a climate of intolerance and hostility,Ē Barrios said. ďThe LA Lakers have a responsibility to educate their fans about why this word is unacceptable.Ē

...i knew the gay rights people would get into this :facepalm:

Bruno
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
The most surprising thing about this is that Kobe didn't swear in Italian :laugh2:. He's been doing it for years and it never makes the news.

I know it's Kobe, but you have to read lips to even see what he says; you can't hear it. IMHO, TNT needs to do a better job of panning the camera off an upset player if they want to continue to pride themselves as a "family network". Basketball is an emotional game; the people up in the booth dropped the ball on this one, as Steve Kerr alluded to during the broadcast.

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
“Professional sports players need to set a better example for young people who use words like this on the playground and in our schools, creating a climate of intolerance and hostility,” said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. “The LA Lakers have a responsibility to educate their fans about why this word is unacceptable. Understood? Good! Now somebody go get me my purse, I'm done with this sh -t. And bleep you, Kobe Bryant. You're the only f * g here."

This guy is a homo badass.

Meatmypet
04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
He didnt even mean it literally. Like, if you called someone a "motherf---ker", it doesn't mean the guy is a literal motherf---ker.

5ass
04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
i dont have a problem with what he said, actually it reminds me of that south park episode. haha that was funny ****..
what i do have a problem with is the way he acted. i mean he looks like a ****ing 5 year old in that video. how could a 32 yr old professional act like that? if howard did the same thing he would have been ejected and suspended

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
He didnt even mean it literally. Like, if you called someone a "motherf---ker", it doesn't mean the guy is a literal motherf---ker.

Oh, damn. No you didn't. Now watch, the Celibate Mothers of America are going to be all over your a -ss.

Sadds The Gr8
04-13-2011, 05:37 PM

exactly. i remember getting in trouble at school for saying the exact same thing kobe said. and the teacher was like "u know what a *** is? it's a stick that poeple burn to create fires, so basically you're insinuating that gay people should be burned"

i was like wtf? lol obviously i didnt mean it in that way because i didn't know of that definition of the word

sugarrayray
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM

20 games seems fair.

How does it effect you? Your obviously not black or gay, so I guess you wouldn't know.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM

That phrase isn't a slur. It doesn't carry the same hateful and derogatory meaning that this does. It doesn't single out a group of individuals, and isn't meant to be degrading and derogatory towards that group.

I see your point - it wasn't literal...but it isn't in anyway the same as that.

Huge difference. If you can't see that, well, that's pretty scary.

Again, I do think some are overreacting. It was the heat of the moment...but still, he can't be acting that way. :shrug:

Hawkeye15
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
This thread is starting to move to questionable. Please keep it in line, and don't stray off topic with the gay angle please.

bal_ravens
04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if I dont see many calls going Kobe's way in the playoffs.

PhillyFaninLA
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Personally, I think a jury at a criminal trial should have said this.

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
exactly. i remember getting in trouble at school for saying the exact same thing kobe said. and the teacher was like "u know what a *** is? it's a stick that poeple burn to create fires, so basically you're insinuating that gay people should be burned"

i was like wtf? lol obviously i didnt mean it in that way because i didn't know of that definition of the word

This could have all been avoided had you chosen to call the kid a "fagottista"--one who plays a "fagotto" (bassoon).

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagotto

mjt20mik
04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
That phrase isn't a slur. It doesn't carry the same hateful and derogatory meaning that this does. It doesn't single out a group of individuals, and isn't meant to be degrading and derogatory towards that group.

I see your point - it wasn't literal...but it isn't in anyway the same as that.

Huge difference. If you can't see that, well, that's pretty scary.

Again, I do think some are overreacting. It was the heat of the moment...but still, he can't be acting that way. :shrug:

Exactly what I was thinking. Even it was was due to him being heated or the spur of the moment, it is very unacceptable.

SoCalNYfan
04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Don't be surprised if the NBA suspends him a game for the playoffs. The gay advocates won't be appeased until he suffers the full extent of their wrath. They are an incredibly strong lobby for their extremely small demographic numbers.

I grew up in Jersey, so saying things like this (which were not intended as a slur to a gay person) are pretty normal fare in everyday conversation. You just can't even breathe the slightest phrase regarding that particular group without cries of "nazi racist homophobe" following close behind. Pathetic, really...but you cannot say it in a crowded arena on national TV...dumb *** mistake by KB.

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
I bet theres less than 15 people on this website that HAVEN'T called someone a "****ing ******" over the course of their life.

South Park already went over this whole subject. These Gay and Lesbian rights groups need to pounce on things like this because it's the only time when the majority of people will give a ****... and even then, the majority doesn't really care and will forget about it in a few days.

So let the Gays and Lesbians of the world grab some attention for a few days and then they can fade away until the next time someone slips up.

NYSwagga
who cares,ppl say alot when their mad.tell those rainbow chasers to give it a rest

Tony_Starks
The most surprising thing about this is that Kobe didn't swear in Italian :laugh2:. He's been doing it for years and it never makes the news.

I know it's Kobe, but you have to read lips to even see what he says; you can't hear it. IMHO, TNT needs to do a better job of panning the camera off an upset player if they want to continue to pride themselves as a "family network". Basketball is an emotional game; the people up in the booth dropped the ball on this one, as Steve Kerr alluded to during the broadcast.

Yeah thats what I was thinking last night like what the hell are they doing with this close up? Steve Kerr shouldn't even of had to point that out it should be common sense. Its one thing if you should so happen to pick up a few words in a play that happens real fast or something but to zero in on his reaction when he was obviously livid is just asking for it!

But this is nothing new, when Denver beat the Lakers last week K Mart was walking the sideline cursing out the whole front row with some of the same language and worse..... in fact I believe he called Marc Cuban that word last year in the playoffs.

Plus like I said if you pay close attention to a Celtic game its like a damn Richard Pryor standup or something! I can't even watch a game with my Dad, he's like "WHAT did he just say!" lol

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 05:51 PM
If CBS were to put a microphone on the line of scrimmage for any NFL football game, we would all hear a lot worse.

What he said was wrong, but it is not worth all of this attention.

sixerfixer
04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Don't be surprised if the NBA suspends him a game for the playoffs. The gay advocates won't be appeased until he suffers the full extent of their wrath. They are an incredibly strong lobby for their extremely small demographic numbers.

I grew up in Jersey, so saying things like this (which were not intended as a slur to a gay person) are pretty normal fare in everyday conversation. You just can't even breathe the slightest phrase regarding that particular group without cries of "nazi racist homophobe" following close behind. Pathetic, really...but you cannot say it in a crowded arena on national TV...dumb *** mistake by KB.

Kobe should be suspended. But we all know that KING Kobe won't be. Bottom line is that IF this were Steve Nash, and he uttered " Fck'ing Nig*er " at a Black Ref, there would be an uproar on every national network you could imagine. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others would be calling for Nash's head...and you KNOW this. And calling someone a Fa*got is EVERY BIT as Egregious and Insulting as the other term.

And Kobe made it worse by not even apologizing for it. If Stern had ANY balls, he would suspend Kobe for 2 games. But as is, he will just offer up a fine, and that will be that.

Sadds The Gr8
04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
This could have all been avoided had you chosen to call the kid a "fagottista"--one who plays a "fagotto" (bassoon).

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagotto

haha i wasnt pissed at the guy or makin fun of him. it was my friend. he asked if he should "dress up" for his presentation for the class and i said, not unless you wanna look like a f--ckin f-g. then the teacher got pissed

oak2455
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Who cares......this is really silly sorry NBA don't fold on this:facepalm: again who cares....

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Kobe should be suspended. But we all know that KING Kobe won't be. Bottom line is that IF this were Steve Nash, and he uttered " Fck'ing Nig*er " at a Black Ref, there would be an uproar on every national network you could imagine. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others would be calling for Nash's head...and you KNOW this. And calling someone a Fa*got is EVERY BIT as Egregious and Insulting as the other term.

And Kobe made it worse by not even apologizing for it. If Stern had ANY balls, he would suspend Kobe for 2 games. But as is, he will just offer up a fine, and that will be that.

This is not a fair comparison at all.

-In your proposed situation, the ref would be black and Nash would be calling a BLACK ref the N word.

-With Kobe, he called a referee a ******. This ref was not gay, nor was Kobe implying/intending to offend a gay person.

Nash calling a BLACK ref the N word would be a COMPLETELY different story... not even comparable.

Sadds The Gr8
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
he only got fined 100k. slap on the wrist.

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
calling someone a Fa*got is EVERY BIT as Egregious and Insulting as [calling a black person a n -].

Black people have been subject to far worse sh -t in this country than homosexuals will ever be. Not being able to marry someone of your same sex is vastly different from being lynched from a tree.

That said, neither should be condoned, but the N word is far more egregious than the F word, given the antagonist and downright disgusting history of race relations in this country.

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
ESPN says that he is fined $100,000

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 06:02 PM
ESPN says that he is fined $100,000

Not nearly enough. The gay coalition demands Kobe's left nut be included in the deal.

SoCalNYfan
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Firstly, I love your use of the word egregious. One of my favs!

However, there is one flaw in your argument: the ref in question is not, in fact, gay. The African American ref in your hypothetical would indeed be a person of color. Therefore, calling some one something they are clearly not is not a slur against an entire group, but a singular targeting of an individual. It is a very poorly chosen curse phrase meaning to demean the target rather than the whole niche of gay people.

Regardless, any name shouted at a ref out of a tantrum is unacceptable. 2 game suspension-worthy? - I think not.

SoCalNYfan
04-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Not nearly enough. The gay coalition demands Kobe's left nut be included in the deal.

Yep. It won't be enough until he is nutless.

Sadds The Gr8
04-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Black people have been subject to far worse sh -t in this country than homosexuals will ever be. Not being able to marry someone of your same sex is vastly different from being lynched from a tree.

That said, neither should be condoned, but the N word is far more egregious than the F word, given the antagonist and downright disgusting history of race relations in this country.

+1. f-g and the n word isn't even close. n-word is far worse

ManRam
04-13-2011, 06:05 PM
100K is fitting. The NBA can't have their players (employees) acting that way. It's bad publicity and it reflects poorly on the league.

sixerfixer
04-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Firstly, I love your use of the word egregious. One of my favs!

However, there is one flaw in your argument: the ref in question is not, in fact, gay. The African American ref in your hypothetical would indeed be a person of color. Therefore, calling some one something they are clearly not is not a slur against an entire group, but a singular targeting of an individual. It is a very poorly chosen curse phrase meaning to demean the target rather than the whole niche of gay people.

Regardless, any name shouted at a ref out of a tantrum is unacceptable. 2 game suspension-worthy? - I think not.

Really > That's your logic ? So tell me, when Don Imus said that one female Rutgers basketball player looked like a " Gangsta ",,,,and she clearly was NOT a Gangsta, why was it that the nations highest rated On-Air personality. One who got paid over 2 million dollars a MONTH...why was he fired by NBC ?.....Gee, ya think it MIGHT be because the BLACK Caucas of America led by Al Sharpton was on every single media market calling Imus a racist ? And why did that Rutgers girl Sue Imus ?..I mean she wasn't a Gangsta..right ?...so why should she have felt slighted ?

Is that your point ? :facepalm:

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
They couldn't come up with a better name than the "gay... coalition?" Like foreal I hear that name and I think of like some gay superhero's or something, it sounds like a gay version of the Justice League!

Jenceman
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Ouch, I thought it would be like 10k. Oh well, time to move on now.

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Really > That's your logic ? So tell me, when Don Imus said that one female Rutgers basketball player looked like a " Gangsta ",,,,and she clearly was NOT a Gangsta, why was it that the nations highest rated On-Air personality. One who got paid over 2 million dollars a MONTH...why was he fired by NBC ?.....Gee, ya think it MIGHT be because the BLACK Caucas of America led by Al Sharpton was on every single media market calling Imus a racist ? And why did that Rutgers girl Sue Imus ?..I mean she wasn't a Gangsta..right ?...so why should she have felt slighted ?

Is that your point ? :facepalm:

Gangsta? He called them a "bunch of nappy headed hoes"

JRisdabest
04-13-2011, 06:17 PM
i would suspend him for 1 game

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM

They would want Kobe's left nut...

turnaround3
04-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Constitutional rights have completely gone out the window in this country. Sad times.

Zefflin
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Man if I got fined 100,000 for everytime I called someone a '****ing ******..."

ManRam
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Constitutional rights have completely gone out the window in this country. Sad times.

This has nothing to do with the Constitution...

If you're alluding to "free speech", then you have some research to do, because that does not apply here.

turnaround3
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
This has nothing to do with the Constitution...

You're right.

If you're alluding to "free speech", then you have some research to do, because that does not apply here.

Right again. Because of precisely how mangled the American legislative system has become. There is no such thing as free speech anymore. There hasn't been in decades. If you think there is, I'd suggest doing some research of your own.

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
100K is fitting. The NBA can't have their players (employees) acting that way. It's bad publicity and it reflects poorly on the league.

Yeah, 100 thousand dollars is fitting... based on what?

That's a ton of ****ing money.

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
You're right.

Right again. Because of precisely how mangled the American legislative system has become. There is no such thing as free speech anymore. There hasn't been in decades. If you think there is, I'd suggest doing some research of your own.

It has plenty to do with the courts:

There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

Chaplinsky v. State of New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942).

Lim
04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
emm btw.. i am a bisexual male and i could give a **** less that bryant called a ref a ******. this society needs to lighten up, smoke a blunt or two or 20.

TrueFan420
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM

ok and jews have had it the worst throughout all of time. they've been the whipping boy of history. does that mean that should belittle other peoples struggles? i think not.

look i dont think its that big of a deal but at the same time he made himself look like a homophob and said something that he shouldnt have said. I dont think he ment it in a derogatory manner but he still said it. Which is why if i where the league id make him sit out atleast one game to save face.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
You're right.

Not really. It has some to do with legislative system, but even on the surface of the first amendment this is obvious. The first amendment simply does apply to employees in the private sector. Kobe is an employee of the NBA, they have the right to fine him for what he says because of that.

It's as simple as that.

I can go outside and protest about how I hate gays all I want; I have the freedom of speech there. I don't have it in the private sector. If I do it at work, my boss can fire/fine/whatever me. I represent them, my speech is not free. The first amendment never sought out to protect that.

J4KOP99
04-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Does anyone want to compile a list of other incidents in which someone was fined $100,000?

I want to see where the NBA puts this on this list. How bad was it compared to some of Phil's comments or any of Stan Van Gundy's comments? How much did Shaq get fined when he cursed on live TV during that interview? What about when Kenyon Martin called Mark Cuban pretty much the same exact thing?

I am not no way comparing any of these to what Kobe did(except the Kenyon Martin one), I just want to see how the NBA treated this situation in comparison to others.

jim51990
04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
all im saying is if lebron said this you people would be making a big deal smh

Fool
04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Kobe being classy on the Mason and Ireland Show.

avrpatsfan
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Kobe is a huge face of the NBA and he said something very very offensive. I care.

Kevj77
04-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Not really. It has some to do with legislative system, but even on the surface of the first amendment this is obvious. The first amendment simply does apply to employees in the private sector. Kobe is an employee of the NBA, they have the right to fine him for what he says because of that.

It's as simple as that.

I can go outside and protest about how I hate gays all I want; I have the freedom of speech there. I don't have it in the private sector. If I do it at work, my boss can fire/fine/whatever me. I represent them, my speech is not free. The first amendment never sought out to protect that.Yeah, I can say whatever I want at work, but if I told my boss or a customer to F off ***** to their face I'd probably get fired on the spot. I can drop as many F bombs as I want outside work.

ManRam
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah, 100 thousand dollars is fitting... based on what?

That's a ton of ****ing money.

A) It is...I would have guessed 50-75K, but whatever. The NBA has an image to protect.
B) It was a hateful slur. Plain and simple. It's offensive to many. It's not offensive to everyone, or maybe even most people, but it's a word that has a ton of hate and disgusting qualities behind it.
C) It was directed towards a ref. I think it would be different if it were directed towards a teammate, a coach, or no one...like if he just said it out of anger...but it was pointed towards a ref. That's bad.
D) He makes 25,000,000 this season. Plus endorsements, he'll survive.

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 06:46 PM

If kobe is a prick then wtf is that ******* KG :laugh:

J4KOP99
Yeah, I can say whatever I want at work, but if I told my boss or a customer to F off ***** to their face I'd probably get fired on the spot. I can drop as many F bombs as I want outside work.

It's worth a try.

championships
Sometimes the refs are ****ing ******s.

Fool
Kobe makes more money than that by half-time each night. Nbd.

theheatles
04-13-2011, 06:48 PM
ok and jews have had it the worst throughout all of time. they've been the whipping boy of history. does that mean that should belittle other peoples struggles? i think not.

look i dont think its that big of a deal but at the same time he made himself look like a homophob and said something that he shouldnt have said. I dont think he ment it in a derogatory manner but he still said it. Which is why if i where the league id make him sit out atleast one game to save face.

but the jews run the world now, bad analogy

championships
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Eh, What's $100,000 to kobe anyway?? About 100 bucks or less to the rest of us. They should just donate it to the *** group who *****ed about it so they will shut up.

Fool
04-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Eh, What's $100,000 to kobe anyway?? About 100 bucks or less to the rest of us. They should just donate it to the *** group who *****ed about it so they will shut up.

Dude, they're not "*****ing" because they want money.

Idontcare
04-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Says the Kobe hater lol

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 07:02 PM
They need to split that bill up three ways: Kobe, the TNT cameraman, and espn.

thekmp211
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
They need to split that bill up three ways: Kobe, the TNT cameraman, and espn.

agreed. 100k, unbelievable. far worse things have been said on the court with no consequence, and I take kobe at his word when he says it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

its a cultural thing, and i know personally that i've tried to use the slang less in my personal conversations over the past couple years. i have no problem with homosexuality, but i do use the word "***" sometimes when i'm getting after someone. its just something a lot kobe people grew up doing.

ill give kobe a lot of credit for how he's handled this, because im my opinion he should be pissed that the league threw him under the bus.

Idontcare
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if I dont see many calls going Kobe's way in the playoffs.

It's not like he gets calls anyways

Bruno
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I think you guys gotta remember that Bryant wipes his *** w/ 100 dollar bills. Nobody should feel bad for Kobe here; he made a mistake, hopefully everyone can just move on.

Like I said before, TNT shares in some of this blame, and I expect them to be fined by the FCC for doing a close up of a player who was clearly pissed off; that's just bad production. You can't claim to be a "family network" if you're looking to stir up controversy by doing a close up of a disgruntled player. Steve Kerr alluded to this during the broadcast.

Ray_R
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Ironic.

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 07:21 PM
So they are going to fine every player who says *** while on the court right? And every time someone drops an n-bomb it's $100k right? And if there's little kids sitting court side any curse words of any sort are an automatic fine too? What about if you say *** 16 times in a season, is an automatic one game suspension?

Ray_R
04-13-2011, 07:27 PM
So they are going to fine every player who says *** while on the court right? And every time someone drops an n-bomb it's $100k right? And if there's little kids sitting court side any curse words of any sort are an automatic fine too? What about if you say *** 16 times in a season, is an automatic one game suspension?

They didn't give one to Sammy Sprinkler.
http://youtu.be/4Gx53ZIvWfI

Lakersfan2483
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM

:clap::clap:

Tony_Starks
04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I remember at the end of game 2 of the finals Rondo was going to the sideline and Nate Robinson came up and said "MYYYYYY N----!" Man I was dying laughing but in retrospect I think the NAACP should've called David Stern so that a fine could've been levied for him racially slurring his teammate.....

PhillyFaninLA
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM

The n-word or any type of hate speech should be a minimum of a 3 game suspension with loss of pay for those games as well as a press conference apology to everyone listening apologizing for it before you can be allowed to play after your suspension.

Racist, religious, and homosexual comments are inexcusable and have no place in people's minds or heart let alone society, let alone sports. People have been beat, murdered, set on fire, lynched, raped, robbed and more for those type of comments and it seems like a lot of people don't get what was said is a big deal....this isn't me saying this because its Kobe its me saying this because it was said and there is no place for this and he is getting off way too easy.

Anybody working for the NBA should get severely punished for this type of speech. If an assistant coach did this they get fired so a fine for someone making the money Kobe makes from the league and endorsements is a joke.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:40 PM

these refs are getting ridiculous with the tech calls. its clear that kobe did nothing to warrant a tech anyway. and its still not determened whether he said F.. or he couldve said Fake :)

thekmp211
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I think you guys gotta remember that Bryant wipes his *** w/ 100 dollar bills. Nobody should feel bad for Kobe here; he made a mistake, hopefully everyone can just move on.

Like I said before, TNT shares in some of this blame, and I expect them to be fined by the FCC for doing a close up of a player who was clearly pissed off; that's just bad production. You can't claim to be a "family network" if you're looking to stir up controversy by doing a close up of a disgruntled player. Steve Kerr alluded to this during the broadcast.

i certainly dont "feel bad" for the guy, but i'd be pissed if i were him. he gets 2 days of media bombardment for something that 99.9% of his co-workers do every day. the fact that he has to answer for a pervasive social flaw is just ridiculous, to me.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:44 PM
The n-word or any type of hate speech should be a minimum of a 3 game suspension with loss of pay for those games as well as a press conference apology to everyone listening apologizing for it before you can be allowed to play after your suspension.

Racist, religious, and homosexual comments are inexcusable and have no place in people's minds or heart let alone society, let alone sports. People have been beat, murdered, set on fire, lynched, raped, robbed and more for those type of comments and it seems like a lot of people don't get what was said is a big deal....this isn't me saying this because its Kobe its me saying this because it was said and there is no place for this and he is getting off way too easy.

Anybody working for the NBA should get severely punished for this type of speech. If an assistant coach did this they get fired so a fine for someone making the money Kobe makes from the league and endorsements is a joke.

relax maan stop being a F.....
we expect players in sports to be something that were not........ Perfect. so when we become perfect then we can expect them to be too. gees lighten up

PhillyFaninLA
04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
we expect players in sports to be something that were not........ Perfect. so when we become perfect then we can expect them to be too. gees lighten up

I notice you have Kobe in your screen name....how would you be reacting if this was Lebron, don't say it wouldn't matter that would be disingenuous of you....I'm saying outright it does not matter who says it, this type of hate speech can only lead to bad things.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:48 PM

relax dude stop being a f.....
its not that serious.
We cant expect athletes to say anything different than what most people say everyday. Why? Because Athletes ARE MOST PEOPLE!

the only people who find that more offensive than anything else thats said are f...... themselves gees stop being so critical

PhillyFaninLA
04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
relax dude stop being a f.....
its not that serious.
We cant expect athletes to say anything different than what most people say everyday. Why? Because Athletes ARE MOST PEOPLE!

the only people who find that more offensive than anything else thats said are f...... themselves gees stop being so critical

Why did you feel the need to quote the same post 2 different times and say the same thing?

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
I notice you have Kobe in your screen name....how would you be reacting if this was Lebron, don't say it wouldn't matter that would be disingenuous of you....I'm saying outright it does not matter who says it, this type of hate speech can only lead to bad things.

I really could care less. all athletes curse and call eachother all kinda crap. like kg calling charlie v. a cancer patient. so what. we want athletes to pay the price so high for things that most people say and do everyday and maybe worse.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Why did you feel the need to quote the same post 2 different times and say the same thing?

accident. i pressed backspace and lost my post I thought. gues I didnt

PhillyFaninLA
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I really could care less. all athletes curse and call eachother all kinda crap. like kg calling charlie v. a cancer patient. so what. we want athletes to pay the price so high for things that most people say and do everyday and maybe worse.

You do realize this issue has nothing to do with cursing right. This is about a bigoted comment not the f-bomb.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
boo hoo hoo you hurt my feelings. you should be fined and suspended. give me a brake. Ive been called worse by my older brothers. Get over it

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
You do realize this issue has nothing to do with cursing right. This is about a bigoted comment not the f-bomb.

so

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
whats your point.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm surprised at some of the reactions on here.

I say those 2 words together alot. But I am in no shape or from homophobic, I have had gay friends.

However, this idiot is on national television. The league is pushing this whole NBA Cares thing and you have this dumbass calling a ref, who is an auhoritive figure in the game a ****ing ***. There's no credibility.

And GOD FORBID KG say sitting like that, y'all would be singing a different song right now

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 07:57 PM
so

Its the same as calling someone a coward. or a P...y or a b...h I really dont think that he ment that he was gay. neither does anyone else so whats the commotion about

Iggz53
04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Its the same as calling someone a coward. or a P...y or a b...h I really dont think that he ment that he was gay. neither does anyone else so whats the commotion about

Seriously? So if someone calls someone else the n word, and they only meant it as "thug", that's okay too?

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm surprised at some of the reactions on here.

I say those 2 words together alot. But I am in no shape or from homophobic, I have had gay friends.

However, this idiot is on national television. The league is pushing this whole NBA Cares thing and you have this dumbass calling a ref, who is an auhoritive figure in the game a ****ing ***. There's no credibility.

And GOD FORBID KG say sitting like that, y'all would be singing a different song right now

NBA cares........ really? thats the best u got. He called him a name get over it. Its what most people scream at the tv anyway. Its not like hes saying anything that you wouldnt hear across the HOMES OF 75% OF AMERICA ANYWAY. Its not a new word. it means Coward, Punk, P...y, Yellow belly, what? now that gay people are jumpin outta the closet everyone has to change their speech patterns. Now gay people are offended. Why should they be offended. We dont get offended when people call us Hetorsexuals. Are we that critical now.

northsider
04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Oh well he was punished lets move on. I think no differently of him and if I did then I should probably start hating myself as well cause I too am guilty of using this word on more then one occasion. I think it is a poor choice of words and I do agree it is a nasty term. I just am not going to act like Kobe is the ****ing devil and we are all saints cause of a slip up on his part and some terrible camera man work.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Seriously? So if someone calls someone else the n word, and they only meant it as "thug", that's okay too?

That pretty much what a N.... is white or black or whatever. People call themselves the n word all the time. Get over it

Iggz53
04-13-2011, 08:08 PM
That pretty much what a N.... is white or black or whatever. People call themselves the n word all the time. Get over it

Okay so just to get things straight, you see nothing wrong with a white person calling a black person the N word. Good to know.

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
I guess when u think about it. It is kinda wrong to say it on camera in front of everyone. But still it doesnt warrant disciplinary action. not that hell miss any money anyway. Hey they get fined for calling the refs cheaters, so I know hell get fined for this!

IDOHERBETTER
04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
O dammmmmmmmmmmmmmm

drew_ellis_23
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I think it is pretty funny. I get cut off in traffic I call the guy a ****** or worse. Who cares. Tell TNT to keep the camera off Kobe in that situation. Also, you can bet the Lakers wont be getting the calls in the playoffs LOL. I love it!

northsider
This thread was doomed for failure from the get go.

MVPKOBE43
Okay so just to get things straight, you see nothing wrong with a white person calling a black person the N word. Good to know.

Look I dont get offended easily, but if thats what a white person calls a black person at least that black person will know where he stands with the white person. because theyre calling him that anyway, just not to his face

MVPKOBE43
04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I think it is pretty funny. I get cut off in traffic I call the guy a ****** or worse. Who cares. Tell TNT to keep the camera off Kobe in that situation. Also, you can bet the Lakers wont be getting the calls in the playoffs LOL. I love it!

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!!!!!!

Hope ur wrong about that last part :(

PhillyFaninLA
04-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Look I dont get offended easily, but if thats what a white person calls a black person at least that black person will know where he stands with the white person. because theyre calling him that anyway, just not to his face

This is something you really need to hear and really need to think about.

Do not take that attitude outside of this topic with you, you carry that attitude with you outside and say it to the wrong person you will realize from your hospital bed that maybe its a bigger deal then you think it is. I am in no way threatening you just give you darn good and important advice hear that may prevent you from getting yourself in some real trouble with your mouth.

Believe what you want but don't let yourself think that what you said in this quote has any real world application that can lead to anything good.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
what if its a true statement?

Wouldn't that make it worse?

What if CV31 was really a cancer patient?

Does KG have a right to call him that then?

Atticus Finch
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Here's the thing, I actually agree with what you said. But there's a difference between saying something during an interview and something that's caught on camera during the game. The NBA absolutely had to do something about this one because it got so blown up by the media, but we would be kidding ourselves to think that *** isn't said at least one time per game. It's not Kobe's fault that he was on camera when he said it, but since he was caught something had to do about it so that the NBA doesn't look like it supports saying the word. Players say that kind of stuff all the time during games, and while that doesn't excuse them whatsoever from saying it the NBA never really cared until now. If the NBA actually fined people for saying *** then we should have seen a lot of cases of this happening before, and we should continue to see cases of it in the future until everyone stops saying it. But I have a funny gut feeling that we won't see another one of these types of fines for some time, not because people are going to stop saying it, but because people won't have the misfortune of being broadcast on national TV when they say it. Basically the message the NBA is sending is "we don't care if you say the word, so long as you're not caught on film saying it."

And while $100k may not be a lot to Kobe, it's a hell of a lot in terms of NBA fines. 10 years ago Iverson called a FAN a *** and got fined a grand total FIVE THOUSAND dollars. I understand that a lot has changed in society since then, especially after John Amaechi coming out and Tim Hardaway letting the world know he's an @$$hole, but to go from 5k to 100k is a pretty steep increase.

The Final Boss
04-13-2011, 08:23 PM

I lived in New York for 4 years, and trust me their homo numbers dwarf San Fransisco. Back on topic, I love when players do things like this!!

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 08:25 PM

:laugh:
you need to calm down tho haha or your definitely getting banned real quick

but that was good :hi5:

Lu's Dynasty
04-13-2011, 08:26 PM

Many will say it's not a big deal, but in reality it is because it's a word used to attack a group of people who obviously have been mistreated or discriminated because of something that comes natural to them. Put it this way: what message does it send to people who have heard those words directed at them out of hate? Or to the families whose sons or daughters who have had that type of speech directed at them before they were murdered for being homosexual? Either way this is a multibillion dollar industry and as great as Kobe is he is not bigger than the league. This cannot be tolerated from a business standpoint alone. Let's say that this wasn't nipped in the bud. Then what about the guy who appeals a suspension because Kobe didn't get anything in the form of a punishment? Then there's even more in the news cycle about the NBA and homophobia (as though that is not a problem in sports) and it just looks bad. And it is bad. I think Kobe appealing this fine looks bad. These words carry meaning and context is everything. Clearly, Kobe was mad and he may or may not have hate toward gay people, but his intent was clear given the context. He's upset and uses the word to attack the ref.

I think fining someone for criticisms made in public is ridiculous. I don't like the fines to players/coaches etc when they talk about the officiating or rules, but I agree that hate speech and slurs should not be tolerated. If you are an athlete and are caught saying something like this then you should be held to a higher standard. I didn't think the fine should have been more than 20k and certainly no suspension is necessary in my opinion, however the argument above in bold reads: we expect too much from these guys so let's not hold them to a high standard in this case. Either you hold the professional multimillionaires or billionaires (owners)) to a standard or you don't. They represent the league and this reflects poorly on the league. If you were running the league I think you would feel differently.

Also I am of the mind that for the sake of comedy there are racial jokes that are funny because of the historical and contemporary significance of the word in society juxtaposed with the irony that such hateful words can be presented directly in the face of actual racism today to cut through the crap that remains present in society. But what if we were talking about a player using a racial slur? Whenever such words are used and are elevated such as with this it is very telling of our society. I don't think this is a case of being PC either. This is about right and wrong. Being too PC is when someone tells another person that they should call a homeless person "a person unable to acquire the means for shelter" or something ridiculous.

mttwlsn16
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM

:laugh:
:facepalm: at your whole post

god some people on here are soft as hell :pity:

PrestigeWldWde
04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
This thread is starting to move to questionable. Please keep it in line, and don't stray off topic with the gay angle please.

:moon::ouch::shrug::badidea:

rabueed
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Kobe shouldn't have said what he said. However, I don't think the fine was just, nor would a suspension have been.

Let's be honest, you think Kobe was bashing LGBT people in this situation? No. It just so happens he was caught on TV. He should watch what he says, I agree, but in this game trash talking is a regular thing. In the heat of the moment, so many things are said on the court that isn't meant in any way, it's just to frustrate and anger the opposition.

And for the Heat fans bashing Kobe here, I know you guys don't like the guy but be realistic here. A bad influence on the kids watching? What about when LeBron cussed his mom out telling her to "sit the ******* down" on Mother's Day? That's a great example? I'm not bashing LeBron in any way, I don't approve of the way he talked, but it's the game. Things are said that aren't meant. Heat of the moment.

If Kobe said "********** ***hole", which is essentially what he meant, then no one would be flipping out.

lakersfan01
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm glad he got fined. He's playing like a selfish prick right now. All he cares about is chasing career scoring record. PASS THE BALL!

KingPosey
04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
But seriously, that fine was ****ing ridiculous. 100,000 dollars for that?

Sadds The Gr8
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
But seriously, that fine was ****ing ridiculous. 100,000 dollars for that?

I think the fine was more of trying to satisfy the gay rights people and protecting the rep of the league, and less of punishing Kobe. The last thing Stern wants is the NBA getting bad publicity before the playoff starts

DerekRE_3
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
It's about time we recognize ****** isn't a gay slur anymore. It's the same as calling someone a douchebag.

South Park summed it up best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg

raidersrock99
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
its not a big deal, i hate how everything is "homophobic" its ********. he said ****** get over it, nobody would know about it if he didnt have the camera in his face..

go kings

rabueed
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
It's about time we recognize ****** isn't a gay slur anymore. It's the same as calling someone a douchebag.

lol, I was gonna quote this, but I thought people would bash me for it. That episode is fantastic. :clap:

IBleedPurple
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Questionable call, and understand the frustration.

While I agree that this should be a fine with kids in the stands nearby, this hasn't happened with several other players doing the same thing. I really don't get it.

thekmp211
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM

one of my very favorite south park episodes.