PDA

View Full Version : What if the Magic would have drafted Okafor over Howard?

Double_R
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
At the time of the 2004 NBA draft, there were 2 choices at the top; take the risk and draft on potential or draft what you believe to be the sure thing. Emeka Okafor was the supposed sure thing, the next Alonzo Mourning, etc.; he is going to anchor your defense for the next 10 years, be a multiple winner of the DPOY award, etc...
Watch the instant analysis at 2:45, I love Stephen A. and Jay talking about Orlando may regret this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5G1rO2PzR0

In your estimation are Howard and Okafor running neck and neck? Is one of them Smarty Jones, pulling ahead, and is the other going to be Birdstone catching them at the wire? Is there any kid that stands out above the other right now?
“No, really I would say not. I would say the night that we won the lottery, probably Okafor was the assumption. In terms of evaluation of what kind of pro he is going to be and some of the research, it is pretty much a dead heat for us right now. I think the decision could likely end up being how the rest of the team is going to look. You can’t build a team in a vacuum, and we have a lot of other things we need to get done besides making this draft pick. I think if we feel comfortable that the rest of the team is going to shape out with quality veterans we would feel more comfortable going with a younger kid like Howard. If we’re not as sure about that and we need the immediacy of Okafor’s maturity, then he would probably get the nod. But right now it’s real close.” Interview with GM Weisbrod

Here's Chad Ford's analysis of the picks of Howard and Okafor:Still, I believe the Magic should've taken Okafor. I think Howard has all the skills to be a great player, but does he have the heart?
The bottom line is that Bickerstaff wanted Okafor more than any player in the draft.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=1827411

"The Magic will likely pick Emeka Okafor, the most NBA-ready player in the draft, and hope to get back in the playoffs, which should keep star Tracy McGrady happy."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/05/28/team.needs/index.html
"New GM John Weisbrod better hope Howard is more Kevin Garnett than Kwame Brown. If not, Okafor could make him look real bad" Marty Burns SI

He chose prep star Dwight Howard instead of NCAA Tournament star Emeka Okafor, which is one major gamble that few agree with CBS Sports Mike Kahn

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/John_Weisbrod_Interview-111632-66.html
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/draft_central_howard_okafor_062204.html

Anyway, my friend and I were talking about this last night about where Charlotte would be if Orlando would have drafted Okafor over Howard. Orlando would have been fine, they are willing to spend money and are still attractive to free agents, so we came to the conclusion that Orlando would still be good, maybe would have kept Tracy McGrady?

Mainly we talked about how different the Bobcats would be.

Imagine how different the culture in Charlotte would be, they would be a winning franchise, they would be a playoff team year in and year out, they would attract free agents, etc. Would he have made them in to what the Cavs were when Lebron was there? Would they be on national tv 25-30 times a year? Would they have been to the finals? won?

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 11:27 AM
if they would of drafted okafor over howard.... they would have okafor instead of howard...

Double_R
04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
if they would of drafted okafor over howard.... they would have okafor instead of howard...

Damn Mike you have really proved to be a valuable poster with such great insight.

ChitownSports16
04-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Damn Mike you have really proved to be a valuable poster with such great insight.

Hes right tho

WadeCounty
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I was going to say howard would have been traded a long time ago seeing the bonehead moves MJ makes but then I realized the previous owner of the bobcats probably wouldn't have sold the team to MJ considering the potential the bobcats would have had.

marlinsfan24
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
What if the Orlando Magic had drafted Ben Gordon over Howard and Okafor?

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM

i try :)

im not a "what if" guy. how can we answer that? i cant tell u what would be different. maybe dwight wouldnt have developed as good, maybe he would of developed better. maybe orlando would suck.... or maybe they would of been better (u might be saying how could they be better w.o him, but we said that same thing about denver and melo)...

the point is, there is no way of guessing what would each team and player would look like now, therefore the question itself is nonsense....

but thats just me. i know its fun to pretend every now and then

bulldog312
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Damn, do we need so many what if threads. What if Kobe died in a car accident 10 years ago. I'm going to go start a thread to find out how history would have been altered...

Double_R
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I was going to say howard would have been traded a long time ago seeing the bonehead moves MJ makes but then I realized the previous owner of the bobcats probably wouldn't have sold the team to MJ considering the potential the bobcats would have had.

That's how different I think it would have been for Charlotte. It's crazy to think that one player, one draft selection away, that was not the consensus number #1, could have changed the entire franchise; the value, the success,etc.

Damn, do we need so many what if threads. What if Kobe died in a car accident 10 years ago. I'm going to go start a thread to find out how history would have been altered...

Sorry there sport, you don't have to click on it, and btw this almost happened, Kobe was never in a fatal car crash.

People are such babies sometimes^

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
That's how different I think it would have been for Charlotte. It's crazy to think that one player, one draft selection away, that was not the consensus number #1, could have changed the entire franchise; the value, the success,etc.

Sorry there sport, you don't have to click on it, and btw this almost happened, Kobe was never in a fatal car crash.

People are such babies sometimes^

for all we know it could of changed 2 or 3 franchises

and also for all we know kobe could of almost been in a fatal car crash

marlinsfan24
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM

What if Kobe had been convicted of rape?

sep11ie
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Wow, another What if thread.

sep11ie
04-13-2011, 11:50 AM

What if Delonte never banged LeBron's momma. Would they still be Cavs?

magic0320
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM

what if you die today?

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
what if PSD was never a website??

think about that one for a sec...... scary huh?

Da Knicks
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
what if kobe had been convicted of rape?

the right thing would of happened.

heyman321
04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
the right thing would of happened.

lawl!

Double_R
04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
what if you die today?

I'm in to saying some pretty dick siht, but damn man... Remind me never to take a shot at Kobe

marlinsfan24
04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
What if Delonte never banged LeBron's momma. Would they still be Cavs?
Naw, I heard Big Z was eying her too.

what if you die today?

What if I do? How would that make you feel?

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 12:10 PM
what if mccain was elected instead of obama?

Akuhpelluh
04-13-2011, 12:20 PM
What if jordan never had scottie?
What if Sammie never ratted Gotti?
What if New York without Giuliani?
What if Mike Tyson fought Ali in his prime?
What if Will Smith got gangster, and started cursing in rhymes?

king4day
04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
We'd probably be looking at a similar situation as the Magic have been in. However, I think Charlotte would have had a true chance to win it all. Wallace and Howard next to each other. Just need a good PG and continue with the theory of defense and who knows.
I think they might have made deep playoff runs and even possibly won a ring.
Scary to think about how one spot in the draft makes all the difference of a franchise.

marlinsfan24
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
And to answer the OP question, yes, the Bobcats would be better off. But maybe the Magic would be as well. T-Mac and Okafor would a good building block for the team.

Blazers#1Fan
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
If dhoward was drafted by the cats they'd have a contender Felton Probably would be there wallace would be also they'd have a great defensive team and probably made it to the finals by now maybe won 1 but thanks for Wallace MJ you Dumb *** hole Magic probably would got better draft choices or Tmac wouldn't of got traded for Steve Franchise

C Howard
PF Thomas
SF Wallace
SG Jackson
PG Felton

Double_R
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
We'd probably be looking at a similar situation as the Magic have been in. However, I think Charlotte would have had a true chance to win it all. Wallace and Howard next to each other. Just need a good PG and continue with the theory of defense and who knows.
I think they might have made deep playoff runs and even possibly won a ring.
Scary to think about how one spot in the draft makes all the difference of a franchise.

That was kind of my point, we would be looking at a Bobcats team with Larry Brown possibly, Dwight, Wallace, Felton, Raja Bell, JRich, Boris Diaw etc. That would have been a serious defensive team.

Sixerlover
04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Larry Brown wouldn't have played him and he wouldn't be the Dwight we know today.

Blazers#1Fan
04-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I got a new one what if portland traded for Rondo and not Roy would C's have won would Rondo have been the player he is would Roy's Knee's been seen earlier and fixed before they were ruined would portland be the same team what if we traded for Camby in 06 and still had the same players minus Roy for Rondo imagine this team or what if we traded Roy for CP3 last year

Camby
Aldridge
Durant
Matthews
Rondo

Batum
Fernandez

gatkins11
04-13-2011, 01:06 PM
What if Portland drafted Durant instead of Oden?

magic0320
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm in to saying some pretty dick siht, but damn man... Remind me never to take a shot at Kobe

lol sorry XD but I didn't meant that. I was just trying to make point.