PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Da Media [Video]

TheHoopsProphet
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/originals/2011/04/12/20110412_thejump_e.nba/

This video above was posted today. And it left me wondering:

Why did the NBA minions decide to talk about the current events in the NBA at a local barbershop? Why are all the people black in the barbershop? Why would expert analysts want the opinions of people who cut hair? Do they realize that they know more about who gives the best fades, not who gives the best fade-away jumpers in the league? Why does Brent Barry’s grammar get a bit looser than usual when he’s talking to them (“mah mayne say segment!”)? Who is that dark figure secretly watching from afar at 2:46-2:51? Is it David Stern trying to make sure the barber scene is appealing to the African-American market in spite of how tacky and grossly stereotypical it may be? Why would Dennis Scott want to get a haircut anyway? Is he just there to get some extra shine on his head? And did Mo Evans already leave the NBA and change his name to "Rico" to make some more cash cutting hair?

As a non-black, heterosexual, lower-middle class, agnostic (I hold onto a small thread of faith that there may be a god out there knowing that something as delicious as Mocha-Almond Fudge ice cream couldn’t have been an accident) male, I am deeply offended by all this. I sometimes notice headlines on sports website that intentionally input bad grammar as if to level themselves with the African-American vernacular. Things like, “Ain’t no stoppin’ da Bulls”, “Gimme Sum’ That”, “Hatas gonna hate”, or “MVP: Who ya got?“ on various sports pages that are supposedly professional.

I’ve even noticed those Latino-theme nights happening more frequently in the NBA. Wear David Stern will simply put “Los” or “El” on top of the sports team names. Why are there Latino-themed nights, and why would having a Spanish word on the team uniforms make it Latino-conscious? I could understand doing it for Cinco de Mayo or Cesar Chavez Day, but why on on Wednesday night in the middle of January? What the hells going on in those marketing meetings Hitler Stern’s running?

David Stern: Okay, as you know profits have been down this year. We’re going to have to condense our 4 week trip to Spain and go to Jamiaca for 3 weeks instead. But, to make sure this doesn’t happen again in the future, we need to change our marketing appeal. What minority group does this sport most appeal to?

Corporate Tool 1: Black, er, African-Americans I believe they’re called.

David Stern: Ah yes of course, the shadow people. Well, we already have the hip-hop, bad grammar, urbanized culture, and loose clothing down. What else could we do?

Corporate Tool 2: How about we change the jerseys? Like Instead of the jerseys saying “Portland Trailblazers” they will read, “Dem Blazas”. Or instead of “Miami Heat” it will read, “Miami HeAt, b!thcez”

Corporate Tool 1: Yesss, Yesss, Of Course! Brilliant! That is definitely how those afro-americaners talk!

David Stern: I personally love it. Rob, what do you think the production will cost? How good’s the revenue.

Rob “bought my son a H3 Hummer as an apology for cheating on his mother” Steinbeck: Hmm, well profits would only be in the millions. Considering our market already appeals to black culture, this gimmick would be a bit redundant.

David Stern: I want billions! BILLIONS, AND NO LESS. I want to use a million dollar bill to replace the foreskin that was cut at my Jewish birthday party, and dump that money on hoes!”

Rob “Do people know it’s a wig?” Steinbeck: Well, what about Latinos?

Corporate Tool 1: Who?!

Rob “The procedure cost me 10g” Steinbeck: The Latino-American demographic, what about them?

Corporate Tool 1: OH! THE BEAN PEOPLE!

Rob “Took it out of my daughters college funds” Steinbeck: Yea, we can put something on the jerseys to appeal to them.

Corporate Tool 2: Yea, yea yea. Like “Pinche Pacers” or “Nuggets con queso”!

David Stern: Yes, I love it. Good work men. Now, Rob, I want you to suck off Dan while me and Abe DP him.

Rob: Please, Mister Stern, not again! I have a wife and kids!

David Stern: Shut that pretty mouth unless its sucking something! Close the blinds Abe!

Rob: No, Stern, NooooooOOOOOO-

What do you feel about the stereotypes played to the minorities in the media? Is it racist? Lets discuss this

kjoke
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Epic

albertc86
04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I heard a lot more sense from them than I do from a lot of posters on here.

marvILLous
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
:clap:

LionsFan..LOL
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
As a jedi master I find nothing offensive about this at all :laugh:

zo#33
04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I LOVE YOU :clap: no homo

Gators123
04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I am 12, wat is this?

GodsSon
04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
LOL amazing

Geargo Wallace
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
It's only racism if you think it is.

D Roses Bulls
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM

David Stern: Shut that pretty mouth unless its sucking something! Close the blinds Abe!

LMfao

Pierzynski4Prez
04-12-2011, 11:24 PM
this thread is more racist than that segment

levignjw
04-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Hahaha wtf

Geargo Wallace
This thread was awesome... almost as awesome as this one: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=610520

I hope you don't get banned for a week my friend.

iFYouSeekAmy
You've done it again. This is gold- keep it coming.

I honor of THP, I will now say Colby instead or Kobe. Who's with me?!?

chicago lulz
04-12-2011, 11:27 PM
awesome tags

Young and Stupid
04-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Alright, the following is probably a bit pre-mature, but I sincerely believe what I'm about to say: This is the greatest thread in the history of the NBA forum. This even tops some of the other Prophet classics. You sir, are a hero, and should be given a lifetime exemption from the village of the banned.

As a young, African-American, Jewish (yet atheistic), lower middle-class, introspective, college-student, I'd tend to agree with many of the sentiments that you illustrated (although tongue may have been planted firmly in cheek for much of the proceeding) and believe that they can be found in every walk of life. In fact, I was caught a little off-guard by the inordinate amount of anti-semitism that your post contained, but I'll let it slide this time. It's a very interesting issue, one that could be discussed at no end; quite honestly, I think we can all agree that the NBA forum isn't mature enough to seriously consider its merits.

Just want to reiterate, HoopsProphet is a legend and without a doubt my favorite poster in the NBA forum. Next time he's up to banned, I'd like to vie to serve his punishment so that the forum can continue to be graced with his presence. We're lucky to have him here and hopefully we will continue to be blessed by the *****edness that he often provides; we are all witnesses.

Side-note: I've told you this before, but next time you release one of these superlative threads, you should end it with THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1dIiCYWY0&feature=related).

zo#33
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
You've done it again. This is gold- keep it coming.

I honor of THP, I will now say Colby instead or Kobe. Who's with me?!?

Alot of people already do. I see Colby everywhere on this forum now :laugh2:

Crackadalic
04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
How do you come up with these epic threads? I swear your better then half of these douchebag posters

EvanTurner
04-12-2011, 11:41 PM
This is all true buh I'm black and I don't think it's racist it's just that they are trying to be hip. Not only black peoPle speak that way. Most if these analyst hace kids black and white that talk like that. There only tryna please young people anyway . I have no idea why they choose barbershops tho

theheatles
04-12-2011, 11:51 PM

pretty much this

Dade County
04-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Alright, the following is probably a bit pre-mature, but I sincerely believe what I'm about to say: This is the greatest thread in the history of the NBA forum. This even tops some of the other Prophet classics. You sir, are a hero, and should be given a lifetime exemption from the village of the banned.

As a young, African-American, Jewish (yet atheistic), lower middle-class, introspective, college-student, I'd tend to agree with many of the sentiments that you illustrated (although tongue may have been planted firmly in cheek for much of the proceeding) and believe that they can be found in every walk of life. In fact, ].

I'm just curious, why did you call yourself jewish; you say you are black, doesn't that make you a black hebrew Israelite? The jewish people/race are just European conversion.

(Back on topic)
Epic thread ... funny and insightful :D

Sofnr
04-12-2011, 11:58 PM
This is another amazing thread. Keep it up.

Ovratd1up
04-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Sir,

Welcome back.

Fnom11
04-13-2011, 12:03 AM
You know that calling a Haiti African American is racist? I don't see how calling someone black is offensive.

DreamShake
04-13-2011, 12:06 AM
This thread is more racist than that segment. The reason they went to a barber shop is because people talk about sports.

Fnom11
04-13-2011, 12:07 AM
It's also racist to assume that every slang phrase was created by black people

Dade County
04-13-2011, 12:18 AM

lol

Slimsim
04-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Epic

MrfadeawayJB
04-13-2011, 12:36 AM
3 observations

1) video was not racist
2) Brent Barry is not racist (dont you fools know Barry is black, he won the dunk contest) and he was also getting a fade at one point lol
3) Sekou Smith is fat as he**

Ovratd1up
04-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Not... getting... the point...

Ovratd1up
04-13-2011, 12:48 AM
This thread is more racist than that segment. The reason they went to a barber shop is because people talk about sports.

...and politicians say "God Bless America" because they think that's what he's doing

Knick4Knack
04-13-2011, 12:58 AM

Why did the NBA minions decide to talk about the current events in the NBA at a local barbershop? Why are all the people black in the barbershop? Why would expert analysts want the opinions of people who cut hair? Do they realize that they know more about who gives the best fades, not who gives the best fade-away jumpers in the league? Why does Brent Barry’s grammar get a bit looser than usual when he’s talking to them (“mah mayne say segment!”)? Who is that dark figure secretly watching from afar at 2:46-2:51? Is it David Stern trying to make sure the barber scene is appealing to the African-American market in spite of how tacky and grossly stereotypical it may be? Why would Dennis Scott want to get a haircut anyway? Is he just there to get some extra shine on his head? And did Mo Evans already leave the NBA and change his name to "Rico" to make some more cash cutting hair?

As a non-black, heterosexual, lower-middle class, agnostic (I hold onto a small thread of faith that there may be a god out there knowing that something as delicious as Mocha-Almond Fudge ice cream couldn’t have been an accident) male, I am deeply offended by all this. I sometimes notice headlines on sports website that intentionally input bad grammar as if to level themselves with the African-American vernacular. Things like, “Ain’t no stoppin’ da Bulls”, “Gimme Sum’ That”, “Hatas gonna hate”, or “MVP: Who ya got?“ on various sports pages that are supposedly professional.

I’ve even noticed those Latino-theme nights happening more frequently in the NBA. Wear David Stern will simply put “Los” or “El” on top of the sports team names. Why are there Latino-themed nights, and why would having a Spanish word on the team uniforms make it Latino-conscious? I could understand doing it for Cinco de Mayo or Cesar Chavez Day, but why on on Wednesday night in the middle of January? What the hells going on in those marketing meetings Hitler Stern’s running?

David Stern: Okay, as you know profits have been down this year. We’re going to have to condense our 4 week trip to Spain and go to Jamiaca for 3 weeks instead. But, to make sure this doesn’t happen again in the future, we need to change our marketing appeal. What minority group does this sport most appeal to?

David Stern: Ah yes of course, the shadow people. Well, we already have the hip-hop, bad grammar, urbanized culture, and loose clothing down. What else could we do?

Corporate Tool 2: How about we change the jerseys? Like Instead of the jerseys saying “Portland Trailblazers” they will read, “Dem Blazas”. Or instead of “Miami Heat” it will read, “Miami HeAt, b!thcez”

Corporate Tool 1: Yesss, Yesss, Of Course! Brilliant! That is definitely how those afro-americaners talk!

David Stern: I personally love it. Rob, what do you think the production will cost? How good’s the revenue.

Rob “bought my son a H3 Hummer as an apology for cheating on his mother” Steinbeck: Hmm, well profits would only be in the millions. Considering our market already appeals to black culture, this gimmick would be a bit redundant.

David Stern: I want billions! BILLIONS, AND NO LESS. I want to use a million dollar bill to replace the foreskin that was cut at my Jewish birthday party, and dump that money on hoes!”

Rob “The procedure cost me 10g” Steinbeck: The Latino-American demographic, what about them?

Rob “Took it out of my daughters college funds” Steinbeck: Yea, we can put something on the jerseys to appeal to them.

David Stern: Yes, I love it. Good work men. Now, Rob, I want you to suck off Dan while me and Abe DP him.

What do you feel about the stereotypes played to the minorities in the media? Is it racist? Lets discuss this

Wow, just wow.:facepalm:

So, because the NBA, a league that is dominated by black star power, conducts an interview in a barber shop, they are being racist? I don't quite understand this for several reasons.

I am an African American male who gets his hair cut in such barber shops. To the OP, first of all:

1. Do you know any black people? If so, what was their reaction to the segment?

2. Have you ever been to a black barber shop? If you have, you would realize that not many whites venture into black communities for such a service.

So, for that reason, such a setting should be disqualified as a place to discuss NBA topics?

3. Is there anyone in that video that is an embarrassment to the black community? What exactly offends you so much about it, other than it is a group of blacks discussing sports? You mention hip hop, bad grammar, urbanized culture and loose clothing. I dont see anything like that in this video. How is this tacky? All I see are black people in a barber shop discussing topics. Some speak better than others. Some are down right eloquent. But isn't that how it is in life, varied? Would a man be thus ridiculed for speaking with a deep southern drawl?

4. Once again, you express that when blacks from all walks of life get together to get their hair cut, its tacky? That is what I find insulting.

5. If the NHL goes into an all white pub to talk about hockey, is the NHL doing the exact same thing? By your reasoning, shouldn't all white pubs thus be excluded from their locations?

6. Leagues such as the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL get fan reaction all the time. How is this any different. Hmm, oh wait, I know.....

Being black is not monolithic. All types of black people congregate at barber shops. You make them sound like a band of thugs. Why couldn't some of them be lawyers, police men or teachers. I happen to know they get their hair cut at such places too.

What I find pathetic is that you use the veil of righteousness to fulfill your own racist agenda. Oh yes, I'm sure you trembled with delight as you typed terms like Shadow people and Bean people .

As an African American, do you really care about me and how I feel, or do you simply want to keep the NBA out of the "Ghetto", even though that's where a majority of their marketable stars come from?

Or maybe, people from the ghetto aren't real people after all and their opinions don't count.

Prophet? I seriously doubt it. Based on how you sustain yourself via vitriol, it's more like sensationalist profiteer.

enserio
04-13-2011, 01:15 AM
After reading the first post, I feel like going in the corner and fighting myself.

That chit go H A R D.

Ovratd1up
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM

So, because the NBA, a league that is dominated by black star power, conducts an interview in a barber shop, they are being racist? I don't quite understand this for several reasons.

I am an African American male who gets his hair cut in such barber shops. To the OP, first of all:

2. Have you ever been to a black barber shop? If you have, you would realize that not many whites venture into black communities for such a service.

So, for that reason, such a setting should be disqualified as a place to discuss NBA topics?

3. Is there anyone in that video that is an embarrassment to the black community? You mention hip hop, bad grammar, urbanized culture and loose clothing. I dont see anything like that in this video. How is this tacky? All I see are black people in a barber shop discussing topics. Some speak better than others. Some are down right eloquent. But isn't that how it is in life, varied? Would a man be thus ridiculed for speaking with a deep southern drawl?

4. Once again, you express that when blacks from all walks of life get together to get their hair cut, its tacky? That is what I find insulting.

5. If I go into an all white pub to talk about hockey, is the NHL doing the exact same thing? By your reasoning, shouldn't all white pubs thus be excluded?

Being black is not monolithic. All types of black people congregate at barber shops. You make them sound like a band of thugs. Why couldn't some of them be lawyers, police men or teachers. I happen to know they get their hair cut at such places too.

What I find pathetic is that you use the veil of righteousness to fulfill your own racist agenda. Oh yes, I'm sure you trembled with delight as you typed terms like Shadow people and Bean people .

As an African American, do you really care about me and how I feel, or do you simply want to keep the NBA out of the "Ghetto", even though that's where a majority of their marketable stars come from?

Or maybe, people from the ghetto aren't real people after all and their opinions don't count.

Prophet? I seriously doubt it. Based on how you sustain yourself via vitriol, it's more like sensationalist profiteer.

I can tell you that this guy is absolutely the furthest from being racist, he's just using those settings and terms to poke fun at the NBA's exploitation of such scenes to please target demographics and broaden markets for profit.

John Walls Era
04-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Hes back...

TheHoopsProphet
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
edit: I dont usually like to respond to my own threads, but since the outcry on racism within is so rabid, I think I should step in.

I have one black friend named JB. But if I had 30 black friends, I would call all of them and tell them to come over and watch the video with me, but not before we smoked weed and talked about our weekly discussion on black oppression. (I didnt bring any black person over to watch it, and I have no idea how their response would be to it, thus the poll given).

There aren't many black barber shops in Dusseldorf. In fact, I don't think there are many black barber shops anywhere. Segregation ended in 1964 my friend.

3. Is there anyone in that video that is an embarrassment to the black community? What exactly offends you so much about it, other than it is a group of blacks discussing sports? You mention hip hop, bad grammar, urbanized culture and loose clothing. I dont see anything like that in this video. How is this tacky? All I see are black people in a barber shop discussing topics. Some speak better than others. Some are down right eloquent. But isn't that how it is in life, varied? Would a man be thus ridiculed for speaking with a deep southern drawl?

The video itself doesn't offend me. If it were a youtube video put online by one of the guys there, I would watch it, hell I may possibly even fap to it if the sports topics were engaging enough. But this is a video fabricated by the minds of NBA marketers trying to appeal to the black community by setting up a stereotypical black scene with stereotypical black characters. It is as clear as day that this was racial profiling. Why not ask fans on the streets? Why did everyone in that barbershop have to be black? Are you saying white people don't go to barbershops or that black people don't go to bars? The characters themselves aren't tacky, but the NBAs attempt to visualize a prototypical "black" setting is tacky.

Whats tacky is your tactless attempt to create a tactile argument based on an assumption you made of my use of the term tacky and how I applied it.

5. If the NHL goes into an all white pub to talk about hockey, is the NHL doing the exact same thing? By your reasoning, shouldn't all white pubs thus be excluded from their locations?
I already addressed this on question 3. But I'll still try and understand your logic. What are all-white pubs? Do such pubs exist? If so, do white people go to these pubs to get haircuts and talk about their hiking trip in Argentina? Last I checked, pubs were places where people go to congregate, drink, possibly have sex with that fat girl leaning in the leather skirt leaning against the jukebox strutting her cottage-cheese thighs that you may lick later on if you dont vomit before you get to your 12th beer, and also, watch and talk about sports. You know, the games that are on the television sets?. And last I checked, pubs have no racial profiling, and all facets of life walk into these pubs.

When I post, its usually satirical or alcohol-induced. That is not to say I post things I have no emotional-investment towards. I personally thought the video was offensive, but wanted to see what others thought. One of my greatest heroes is Malcolm X, but thats not all. I wear dashikis, have dreads, and have 5 kids I left with their mothers but have still support in welfare checks, so I have an idea of what its like to be oppressed by the system.

For a better understanding of racial satire, please watch Spike Lee's film, "Bamboozled". Stay cool, and **** the police.

bmd1101
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
If you are going to explore racism in the NBA, you can't just look at it in one direction. Quite frankly it flows in all directions to all races it just depends what your watching and what your sensitive to.

Crackadalic
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
edit: I dont usually like to respond to my own threads, but since the outcry on racism within is so rabid, I think I should step in.

When I post, its usually satirical or alcohol-induced. That is not to say I post things I have no emotional-investment towards. I personally thought the video was offensive, but wanted to see what others thought. One of my greatest heroes is Malcolm X, but thats not all. I wear dashikis, have dreads, and have 5 kids I left with their mothers but have still support in welfare checks, so I have an idea of what its like to be oppressed by the system.

For a better understanding of racial satire, please watch Spike Lee's film, "Bamboozled". Stay cool, and **** the police.

And the chosen one has spoken :clap::clap:

Chacarron
04-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm glad The Hoops Prophet is a Lakers fan.

Jenceman
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM

You are a good writer, maybe you can actually go somewhere with that English Degree, break the Starbuck's Barista stereotype.

Your style of writing is certainly entertaining.

210Don
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
how the hell is this racist?

tredigs
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM

I can't quite tell how sarcastic you're being with all this being that half of it is tongue-in-cheek, but the bottom line is that the video was not "racist" at all. It was the polar opposite if anything: Going out of your way to accommodate their fan-base even if it goes against the general practices of the company. Media is always looking for a way to relate to its consumers and draw new/wider viewership. "Los" X team, going to a barbershop to shoot a video (which was just all in good fun and... if you've ever been to Atlanta, you'd realize why it's all black). Also, Brent's just talking that way (tho' mostly talking "white" as can be throughout) in spurts because he's in a room full of black dudes talking ball and he's trying to fit in... and you know this.

Love your threads Hoops, but you couldn't be more off base on this one. "Racist" is a term thrown around too lightly/stupidly now a days. Everyone needs to get over their pseudo entitlement issues and stop being offended at the drop of a hat.

Knick4Knack
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
To HoopsProphet:

Well, if it looks like a duck and sound like a duck....

I have one black friend named JB. But if I had 30 black friends, I would call all of them and tell them to come over and watch the video with me, but not before we smoked weed and talked about our weekly discussion on black oppression. (I didnt bring any black person over to watch it, and I have no idea how their response would be to it, thus the poll given).

So basically, you are basing your thread off of an assumption of how black people should feel. oh yes, you gave a poll, but your opening argument and skit easily speak of the conclusion you had drawn.

There aren't many black barber shops in Dusseldorf. In fact, I don't think there are many black barber shops anywhere. Segregation ended in 1964 my friend.

Then perhaps you should strive to understand American Culture before you come to conclusions about our social behavior. Your question as to why there were no whites in the barber shop makes no sense because americans (black and white) know there is a major difference between black and white barber shops.

Whites from the suburbs generally don't venture into black neighborhoods to get their hair cut. There are some that like fades and will come, but not many. Also, although there has been much integration in the states, there are in some places, like smyrna, the place in the video, that have pockets of peoples and culture. Communities that are either dominantly black or white. In those places, difinitively, you wont find much integration concerning places like barber shops.

The major preference is toward style, not prejudice. Hair types are different, so classifying them black and white speaks toward such an adeptness as cutting that type of hair.

So, your response is more than perplexing because it is void of any basic knowledge on the matter.

Rule #1, before you speak on any matter of importance, try to have a basic understanding of the topic at first. Then formulate an opinion.

The video itself doesn't offend me. If it were a youtube video put online by one of the guys there, I would watch it, hell I may possibly even fap to it if the sports topics were engaging enough. But this is a video fabricated by the minds of NBA marketers trying to appeal to the black community by setting up a stereotypical black scene with stereotypical black characters. It is as clear as day that this was racial profiling. Why not ask fans on the streets? Why did everyone in that barbershop have to be black? Are you saying white people don't go to barbershops or that black people don't go to bars? The characters themselves aren't tacky, but the NBAs attempt to visualize a prototypical "black" setting is tacky.

And here lies the problem with your posts, hoopsprophet. You use inappropriate, facetious statements to deflect from the fact you are ignorant in those matters. Tsk, Tsk. Stay on topic if you value respect from your fellow posters, which I hope you would want since we are dealing with the topics of profiling and racism.

What you call a stereotypical black scene is what I live daily as life in the black community. But, you only know one black person who, I assume, lives with you in Germany. How can you then possibly know what is stereotypical or not? I have been all over america. For blacks, this is a large part of who we are. Not all of us, but a great portion of us find common ground in that barber shop scene. From what vantagepoint do you see african american life?

Concerning: Are you saying white people don't go to barbershops or that black people don't go to bars?
Once again, you are in way over your head because you have no basic understanding of American Culture. As I have previously stated, blacks and white generally have a preference in terms of barber shops (here in the states, don't know how you do things in Germany). Of course, there will be some crossover. There are beauty salons that both blacks and whites frequent, but generally, and especially concerning impoverished areas, there is not a lot of crossover. Concerning bars/eateries/pubs, there are similarities. Difference is, there can be a lot of crossover. I have been to Irish pubs that have been all white save for me and a friend, and clubs that feature all black patronage. So please re-evaluate your statement, because it makes no sense.

Whats tacky is your tactless attempt to create a tactile argument based on an assumption you made of my use of the term tacky and how I applied it

Alliteration is cute, but won't save you here, and an assumption wasn't necessary. Your question was if Stern was behind the scenes ensuring the product was appealing, despite it being "tacky and grossly stereotypical". What else could this mean? Because you have been called on it, don't bail out now.

I already addressed this on question 3. But I'll still try and understand your logic. What are all-white pubs? Do such pubs exist? If so, do white people go to these pubs to get haircuts and talk about their hiking trip in Argentina? Last I checked, pubs were places where people go to congregate, drink, possibly have sex with that fat girl leaning in the leather skirt leaning against the jukebox strutting her cottage-cheese thighs that you may lick later on if you dont vomit before you get to your 12th beer, and also, watch and talk about sports. You know, the games that are on the television sets?. And last I checked, pubs have no racial profiling, and all facets of life walk into these pubs

Once again, deflection due to ignorance of the topic. Clearly, blacks and whites here in america have a clear understanding there are certain places you don't venture into. I wouldn't go into certain bars in sheepshead bay, brooklyn and they wouldn't come to certain bars in bedford stuyvesant, brooklyn. Why? Two-fold: in some cases racism still exists and you are not welcome. Secondly, location and theme of those businesses would dictate their patronage. Think many people from that video would go into an Italian establishment playing Perry Como music? That is what is meant by black and white bars. It speaks more toward preference, due to location, theme or sadly racial preference.

Wow, that makes you a sensationalist BS artist because earlier in the text, which I hope you don't alter, you state "The video itself doesn't offend me".

Also, dashikis, dreads and having illegitimate children on welfare don't make you black. That statement alone should get you banned for life. Other posters may think you are cool, but they need to grow up as well because you are nothing more than a collection of ill conceived topics and masturbation jokes.

Maybe you shouldn't drink and post. Do you drink and drive? Same result here.

For a better understanding of racial satire, please watch Spike Lee's film, "Bamboozled". Stay cool, and **** the police

Seen it. Good movie. Fap on, Hoopsprophet.

tredigs
04-13-2011, 11:22 PM
^ Now that was a clean response. Spot on. Though I doubt he's from "dusseldorf, Germany" just being that the kid is a jokester on all levels (funny ****er, too), I'd guess something more like San Francisco or Portland.

Regardless, you're right.

homestarunner93
04-13-2011, 11:23 PM
This is stupid, this video isn't racist at all. To quote Shakespeare, "much ado about nothing."

TopsyTurvy
04-14-2011, 01:32 AM

Words.

You're only ugly. A sometimes smart, hedonistic author touted this rhetorical yammering as great alliteration in novels.

He famously said "satire is a lesson, parody is a game."

:cool:

(I hate being hip)

NYKalltheway
04-14-2011, 02:41 AM
How is this racist? Does the fact that the players 'selected' by the show were black means that the NBA is racist against white players too? :p
It's actually the opposite of Hollywood where they have stereotype of black women acting "hip hop" and that kinda stuff. It was actually a nice video with good comments from the participants

JetsMetsKnicks
04-14-2011, 02:56 AM
What Pierzynski said. The fact you were able to come up with all the ethnic nonsense you did in that post just show's how creepy it really is inside that demented lobe you call a brain. I would say lock-up the children when you are around.

JNA17
04-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Cool-Aid!

oh wait

Trueblue2
04-14-2011, 03:44 AM

This

Trueblue2
04-14-2011, 03:52 AM

Just the cool ones

championships
04-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Really nothing to talk about here as far as racism goes.

CavsYanksDuke
04-14-2011, 04:23 AM
The tags are the best part of this.

BuddhaMONK
04-14-2011, 04:48 AM
I think your racist for thinking that's racist. Who gives a **** if their all black, their in georgia what do you expect. This isn't racist at all. Also, white people are going to prefer to go to white barbers. It's nature people of the same races like to stick together. That's why we don't see robins and pigeons ****ing.

TheHoopsProphet
04-14-2011, 09:46 AM
To Knick4Knack:

Its hard to gauge why someone with such depth of understanding in American culture is wasting his time splurging onto such a frail little foreigner as myself. But I would assume its all linked to my liberal use of the term racism.

Well, we then now have to go back to the drawing board, and define what racism is. To me it means an outside presumption of a culture that an individual follows by the sole vessel of their predisposed genetic condition. In other words, cultures exist by genetic influences instead of environmental influences.

There in lies the problem. To sum up what you've been telling me, "I am a black person, and you are a non-black person, therefore my opinions on this matter are valid, and yours are not. I have a better understanding of the black experience because my skin is darker then yours. Unless you are also black, you wouldn't have a clue what the term racism means."

As I mentioned, I have one black friend named JB. His favorite musical artist is Radiohead, he likes to play guitar, and he doesn't know the difference between a basketball and a handball. I don't think he's ever stepped into a "black" barbershop. But, I guess because of his genetic condition, he would have a better understanding of whats stereotypical and racist versus what isn't. Your very first question to me, asked if I brought any black friends over to see the video clip. I don't know how he'd react to it, perhaps he'd be slightly offended, perhaps not. But that would just be his opinion, and I would never attempt to use it as a representation of all black people. Hell, I know more black friends then him, because he can't be friends with himself. Yet, assuming because he was black, your saying he would better gauge black stereotypes then myself?

In reference to my definition, racism is assuming culture is genetically inherited and not environmentally. You, my friend, are being racist. Because, you see, in spite of how hard the media shoves this down your throat, there is no such thing as "black culture". We are products of our regional environments. The friends we make, the people we know and grow up with, the schools we go through all play a big part in how we interact and view the world we live in.

If I grew up in Compton, CA instead of Stuttgart, Germany would I still act and be the exact same non-black person I am today? Probably not. So where does me being black, hispanic, white, or asian play into all that? Its at the very back-end of my make-up.

In the novel, The Autobiography of An Ex-Colored Man, the pseudo-autobiographical narrator of the book talks about how he never realized he was a black person until his teacher had all the white students stand up in class, and promptly told him to sit back down. He grew up in a white community, and he had a white father. It wasn't until he took a train to Atlanta that he felt like he was a black person. He then moved to Europe to pursue his piano talents, and once again the color of his skin became a largely oblivious facet of his life because of the culture over there.

Culture shouldn't define us. Skin-color shouldn't define us. Barbershops shouldn't define us. They are all a part of us the same way whatever shirt we decide to put on for the day is a part of us. To say the barbershop is "largely a representation of who we are", is to say you are not an individual but merely a splurge of enigmatic clay forming, defining, creating into whatever the media decides to shape you as. Barbershops are a places that are enjoyed by people of all cultural backgrounds, and the only difference is where they are located. Yet, the media has decided that with movies like The Barbershop and The Barbershop 2 these are what black people do. And what you're telling me, that if black people congregate together they will most likely be at a barbershop, is just a regurgitation of that media bias.

I know I'm not black like you are, but I still understand stereotypes as much as the next person, and though you're right in pointing out I originally said I wasn't offended, but then reclaimed I was, what I'm trying to say is, I as a human being and citizen of this earth, was offended in a visceral sense. Because I don't think guys hanging out at a barbershop talking about basketball is a reflection of black culture, its just a fabrication of it. And us followers of the media swallow it faster then orange juice on a hot summer's day and eventually lead ourselves to let it become us, and assume it to be true, and we thus become caricatures of something that has nothing to do with us in the first place.

Sorry if I mislead you in anyway, and i'll try to work better on my masturbation jokes.

Da Knicks
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Brilliant! I luv it ese!!!

marcanthony01
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
To HoopsProphet:

Well, if it looks like a duck and sound like a duck....

So basically, you are basing your thread off of an assumption of how black people should feel. oh yes, you gave a poll, but your opening argument and skit easily speak of the conclusion you had drawn.

Then perhaps you should strive to understand American Culture before you come to conclusions about our social behavior. Your question as to why there were no whites in the barber shop makes no sense because americans (black and white) know there is a major difference between black and white barber shops.

Whites from the suburbs generally don't venture into black neighborhoods to get their hair cut. There are some that like fades and will come, but not many. Also, although there has been much integration in the states, there are in some places, like smyrna, the place in the video, that have pockets of peoples and culture. Communities that are either dominantly black or white. In those places, difinitively, you wont find much integration concerning places like barber shops.

The major preference is toward style, not prejudice. Hair types are different, so classifying them black and white speaks toward such an adeptness as cutting that type of hair.

So, your response is more than perplexing because it is void of any basic knowledge on the matter.

Rule #1, before you speak on any matter of importance, try to have a basic understanding of the topic at first. Then formulate an opinion.

And here lies the problem with your posts, hoopsprophet. You use inappropriate, facetious statements to deflect from the fact you are ignorant in those matters. Tsk, Tsk. Stay on topic if you value respect from your fellow posters, which I hope you would want since we are dealing with the topics of profiling and racism.

What you call a stereotypical black scene is what I live daily as life in the black community. But, you only know one black person who, I assume, lives with you in Germany. How can you then possibly know what is stereotypical or not? I have been all over america. For blacks, this is a large part of who we are. Not all of us, but a great portion of us find common ground in that barber shop scene. From what vantagepoint do you see african american life?

Concerning: Are you saying white people don't go to barbershops or that black people don't go to bars?
Once again, you are in way over your head because you have no basic understanding of American Culture. As I have previously stated, blacks and white generally have a preference in terms of barber shops (here in the states, don't know how you do things in Germany). Of course, there will be some crossover. There are beauty salons that both blacks and whites frequent, but generally, and especially concerning impoverished areas, there is not a lot of crossover. Concerning bars/eateries/pubs, there are similarities. Difference is, there can be a lot of crossover. I have been to Irish pubs that have been all white save for me and a friend, and clubs that feature all black patronage. So please re-evaluate your statement, because it makes no sense.

Whats tacky is your tactless attempt to create a tactile argument based on an assumption you made of my use of the term tacky and how I applied it

Alliteration is cute, but won't save you here, and an assumption wasn't necessary. Your question was if Stern was behind the scenes ensuring the product was appealing, despite it being "tacky and grossly stereotypical". What else could this mean? Because you have been called on it, don't bail out now.

I already addressed this on question 3. But I'll still try and understand your logic. What are all-white pubs? Do such pubs exist? If so, do white people go to these pubs to get haircuts and talk about their hiking trip in Argentina? Last I checked, pubs were places where people go to congregate, drink, possibly have sex with that fat girl leaning in the leather skirt leaning against the jukebox strutting her cottage-cheese thighs that you may lick later on if you dont vomit before you get to your 12th beer, and also, watch and talk about sports. You know, the games that are on the television sets?. And last I checked, pubs have no racial profiling, and all facets of life walk into these pubs

Once again, deflection due to ignorance of the topic. Clearly, blacks and whites here in america have a clear understanding there are certain places you don't venture into. I wouldn't go into certain bars in sheepshead bay, brooklyn and they wouldn't come to certain bars in bedford stuyvesant, brooklyn. Why? Two-fold: in some cases racism still exists and you are not welcome. Secondly, location and theme of those businesses would dictate their patronage. Think many people from that video would go into an Italian establishment playing Perry Como music? That is what is meant by black and white bars. It speaks more toward preference, due to location, theme or sadly racial preference.

Wow, that makes you a sensationalist BS artist because earlier in the text, which I hope you don't alter, you state "The video itself doesn't offend me".

Also, dashikis, dreads and having illegitimate children on welfare don't make you black. That statement alone should get you banned for life. Other posters may think you are cool, but they need to grow up as well because you are nothing more than a collection of ill conceived topics and masturbation jokes.

Maybe you shouldn't drink and post. Do you drink and drive? Same result here.

For a better understanding of racial satire, please watch Spike Lee's film, "Bamboozled". Stay cool, and **** the police

Seen it. Good movie. Fap on, Hoopsprophet.

PERFECT :clap:

maddBat
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
i guess he never saw the barbershop show on mtv a long time ago

sep11ie
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
THP owns the NBA forum.

Side note, I had no idea there were so many fellow Jedi posters here.

hugepatsfan
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
lmao... i dont really have nuthin else to say (see what I did there)

synister281
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
RACISM does not always equal STEREOTYPING (Which is what is going on in that video, which I find 100% harmless)

Atticus Finch
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
RACISM does not always equal STEREOTYPING (Which is what is going on in that video, which I find 100% harmless)

Stereotyping, whether positive or negative, is racist. You're making broad generalizations about a group of people based on skin color, gender, culture, etc.

smith&wesson
04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
i think the op is overly sensative, how can any one be offended by this ?

ttam68
04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
This is priceless.

1. Most of the people who disagree with the OP have awful grammar (they're vs. their, your vs. you're). So much irony.

2. Most of the people who disagree with the OP seem to miss the implication that its racist not because it lowers or insults black people in some way, but because it casts them into a single mold you'd see in a Martin Lawrence movie.

3. To say that Brent Barry spoke the way he did to "fit in" is a ridiculous confirmation of the stereotype the OP outlined.

Bullsfan22
04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
The NBA forum is horrible.

Glad I was able to get my post count up and have a good laugh.

COOLbeans
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
both prophet and knick for knack make good points. you are both justifiably right. imo

Prophet; we are influenced by media perception and advertising and many of our stereotypes are born from this kind of marketing. But I dont believe this video was at all offensive. if anything it portrayed racial unity and increased comfortability between the black community and the sports media. who until recently denied showing any positive side of black people in American culture, other than when blacks were winning NBA championships (Bill Russel) and hitting home runs (Hank Aaron)

and

knack; there were some holes in his original argument but i think he's done a good job at re-examining his position, and though i didnt agree at first, i see prophet's point.

this video was not racist in the least bit. what it did was thread a common experience that most men have. by going to a barber shop and segmenting it to one particular shop that just happens to be frequented, owned, and operated by black people to engage in an interesting discussion of NBA basketball. whats wrong with that?

COOLbeans
04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
This is priceless.

1. Most of the people who disagree with the OP have awful grammar (they're vs. their, your vs. you're). So much irony.

2. Most of the people who disagree with the OP seem to miss the implication that its racist not because it lowers or insults black people in some way, but because it casts them into a single mold you'd see in a Martin Lawrence movie.

3. To say that Brent Barry spoke the way he did to "fit in" is a ridiculous confirmation of the stereotype the OP outlined.

This statement is offensive. Why is it when black people are in a group there is some kind of characterature, or that a real life marketing video with real life people resembles a Martin Lawrence movie? Kind of funny. but still gets a :facepalm:

And to imply that those who disagree with the OP have bad grammar, when i read english grammar craziness all day long on every thread in this forum is just ridiculously bias toward your own position.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I loved the barbershop segment. I've been to many a barbershop and guess what?...... We talk basketball! On top of that the guys in there had valid fairly on target opinions. The op acts like they were just in there with fat gold chains on and gold teeth talking about "Yeah yeah yeah its all about the Bulls ya know what Im sayin playa!!!" I thought it was cool.

Plus the fact that Brent was with them was actually a good thing to me because it just reinforces the fact that there's no color lines when it comes to hoops and also displays how the black community is one of the most embracing communities there is when it comes to accepting other races. I don't care what your background is you can come to the shop, talk some hoops, gander at some fine passerby honeys and your one of the fam!

*edit*
Also that Stern commentary was extremely exceedingly gay....... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Knick4Knack
04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
To Hoopsprophet

There in lies the problem. To sum up what you've been telling me, "I am a black person, and you are a non-black person, therefore my opinions on this matter are valid, and yours are not. I have a better understanding of the black experience because my skin is darker then yours. Unless you are also black, you wouldn't have a clue what the term racism means."

I have expressed nothing of the sort. At no point did I take that stance. I said that you have no understanding of "american culture", not "african american culture". The statements were assertions that could be validated by every make-up/background here in the states- black or white.

What is troubling about the situation is that you made generalizations without first understanding the realities of AMERICAN CULTURE. The result was that you wound up insulting the group you claimed to be defending.

Look, you seem like a well educated, intelligent individual. The trouble, essentially, with your thread does not stem from your opinion that corporations/media/what-have-you engage in the practice that you claim the NBA engaged in. It is the ironic result of you insulting blacks here by describing a clip illustrating daily life for many of us here as "tacky and stereotypical". Once you did that, the following skit was immediately called into question.

As an african-american man, I want nothing but the betterment of race relations. I want people to understand my culture and I want to understand theirs. We should strive to understand each other. No, skin color should not be meant to define us, but for many, it becomes an inevitable fact of life because there are those who are prejudiced and hate.

So you made a mistake, and now you know. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, as long as you do learn from them. I don't hate you, and hope you feel the same.

And on a separate note, the statement you made about having children supported by welfare, dreads and wearing dashikis and thus associating those things with being black (yes you did, because how could you possibly associate dreads and dashikis with oppression without first associating them with being black) was completely racist and insulting. I don't know if you were being serious or not, but dashikis and dreads don't make you black, neither does the welfare thing. They are choices made by people who are black, white, etc., concerning fashion/expression or just basic necessity. Nor do they make you oppressed. Did anyone try to stop you from wearing your dashiki or dreading your hair because you are caucasian?

Search yourself hard, Hoopsprophet. You posts are amusing, but they also leave traces of blood.

And thank you for not faping.

tredigs
04-14-2011, 02:51 PM
This is priceless.

Stereotyping, whether positive or negative, is racist. You're making broad generalizations about a group of people based on skin color, gender, culture, etc.

I'd say you're completely wrong here. Racism is always negative, and it is a connotation (direct or indirect) that your race is superior to another. Stereotyping is simply people making vague commentaries on a certain race, culture, gender, religion, brand of vehicle, etc. etc.

If the certain shade of that ven diagram happens to fall on a stereotype that is about a particular race, and it is a negative connotation (blacks have bad credit rather than blacks are athletic), then you're going to have certain misinformed people assume that this is "racism". It is not. So long as the stereotypes are based on the foundation of true observations and not hatred (I can understand where this could be a slippery slope), there's nothing racist about it what-so-ever. Stereotypes are natural, will always exist, and frankly should always exist. For good or bad, we'd be ingorant sheep if we thought there was nothing that seperates different factions of the world/society.

Regardless, the commentators going to a predominantly black barbershop to talk ball is neither stereotyping nor racism (to think that is pure stupidity, honestly). It wasn't a mock scenario... they went there... it happened. That's called engaging a population with common interests.

@ttam68. Don't hide behind a curtain of grammar mistakes because your opinion doesn't jive with another groups (correct) take on the matter.

Knick4Knack
04-14-2011, 03:00 PM
This is priceless.

On the basketball courts, this post is what we would call a "self-check".

Atticus Finch
04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd say you're completely wrong here. Racism is always negative, and it is a connotation (direct or indirect) that your race is superior to another. Stereotyping is simply people making vague commentaries on a certain race, culture, gender, religion, brand of vehicle, etc. etc.

If the certain shade of that ven diagram happens to fall on a stereotype that is about a particular race, and it is a negative connotation (blacks have bad credit rather than blacks are athletic), then you're going to have certain misinformed people assume that this is "racism". It is not. So long as the stereotypes are based on the foundation of true observations and not hatred (I can understand where this could be a slippery slope), there's nothing racist about it what-so-ever. Stereotypes are natural, will always exist, and frankly should always exist. For good or bad, we'd be ingorant sheep if we thought there was nothing that seperates different factions of the world/society.

You're right that racism is always negative, but stereotypes can be positive or negative, both being a form of racism. If I say "all Asians are good at math," even though I'm propping up one group of people it's still creating racial superiority, which is the definition of racism. The stereotype itself is innocent and not meant to be hurtful but it's still making a broad generalization about an entire group of people (racism). There's really no need for stereotypes "whatsoever," it's silly to assume that because you have met a few black people in your life and have heard stereotypes about black people that the next black person you're going to meet is going to meet those same criteria. I know it might sound strange but people don't like being labeled and clumped into massive groups where everyone is supposed to be the same.

As far as this video goes, I think the OP might have looked into it a little bit too much but I can absolutely see what he's getting at, but we really don't know the story behind the scenes. If they decided that they needed to get only black actors for the video because it was a barbershop scene then yes, that's stereotypical and racist. But they could have just as easily gone to a shop in the Atlanta area and told the owner they wanted to do an NBA segment in the shop. The first thing the owner would do is call up his friends and regular customers and tell them to come in to be in the video, and if all of his friends happened to be black then it would just be random chance.

redwhitenblue
04-14-2011, 04:27 PM
We are aware that the Latino Owners and Operators of McDonalds are the one that brought forward this Latino Heritage night, correct? I mean, it's not like the NBA just does it on it's own.

And before people go off on tangents about the Latino Owners/Operators of MccyD's. There is also an African-American Owners/Operators of McDonalds group.

tredigs
04-14-2011, 06:01 PM
You're right that racism is always negative, but stereotypes can be positive or negative, both being a form of racism. If I say "all Asians are good at math," even though I'm propping up one group of people it's still creating racial superiority, which is the definition of racism. The stereotype itself is innocent and not meant to be hurtful but it's still making a broad generalization about an entire group of people (racism). There's really no need for stereotypes "whatsoever," it's silly to assume that because you have met a few black people in your life and have heard stereotypes about black people that the next black person you're going to meet is going to meet those same criteria. I know it might sound strange but people don't like being labeled and clumped into massive groups where everyone is supposed to be the same.

As far as this video goes, I think the OP might have looked into it a little bit too much but I can absolutely see what he's getting at, but we really don't know the story behind the scenes. If they decided that they needed to get only black actors for the video because it was a barbershop scene then yes, that's stereotypical and racist. But they could have just as easily gone to a shop in the Atlanta area and told the owner they wanted to do an NBA segment in the shop. The first thing the owner would do is call up his friends and regular customers and tell them to come in to be in the video, and if all of his friends happened to be black then it would just be random chance.

As people, are we supposed to just ignore commonalities between certain people (Japanese have distinct cultural differences as compared to Russians, there's nothing wrong with that), places (can I use my inferences to note that Colorado is a colder, more mountanous region than Las Vegas, or is that a stereotype and racist as well) and things (in sayting that Honda generally makes vehicles that are more efficient and last longer than Ferrari's, are we being racist in that stereotype? As certainly this isn't the case for all Honda's or Ferrari's - and individually they will be judged on their own merit by any fair person - but I think it's fair to say that it's a commonality)and treat everyone as a unique snowflake? I'd say no. It's perfectly natural and fine to have stereotypes (which are in fact there for a reason. Is there a stereotype that all Mexicans love rugby and drink copious amounts of Jameson? No, because there are virtually no precedants for that and it would make no ****ing sense).

There is nothing wrong with stereotyping (it's inevitable, so it's not worth the energy to act otherwise anyway) so long as you're aware enough to understand that obviously they are to be taken with a huge grain of salt, and that not everyone (in many cases not even the majority) fit the mold of "X" stereotype.

But again, to bring it back to the original post - this video is in NO WAY even stereotyping - let alone being racist. If it was a mock scenario where they were creating some kind of play on the TNT set and everyone was an actor? Sure, I could see the argument (though the fact that these exact types of talks go on in city barbershops all over the country would make that a dumb reason to get your panties in a bunch). But the fact is that by all accounts it looked pretty legit to me.

In closing, chill.

JWO35
04-14-2011, 06:20 PM
As a person who is secretly homophobic toward Cornrows....I'm going to say no!

Atticus Finch
04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
As people, are we supposed to just ignore commonalities between certain people (Japanese have distinct cultural differences as compared to Russians, there's nothing wrong with that), places (can I use my inferences to note that Colorado is a colder, more mountanous region than Las Vegas, or is that a stereotype and racist as well) and things (in sayting that Honda generally makes vehicles that are more efficient and last longer than Ferrari's, are we being racist in that stereotype? As certainly this isn't the case for all Honda's or Ferrari's - and individually they will be judged on their own merit by any fair person - but I think it's fair to say that it's a commonality)and treat everyone as a unique snowflake? I'd say no. It's perfectly natural and fine to have stereotypes (which are in fact there for a reason. Is there a stereotype that all Mexicans love rugby and drink copious amounts of Jameson? No, because there are virtually no precedants for that and it would make no ****ing sense).

There is nothing wrong with stereotyping (it's inevitable, so it's not worth the energy to act otherwise anyway) so long as you're aware enough to understand that obviously they are to be taken with a huge grain of salt, and that not everyone (in many cases not even the majority) fit the mold of "X" stereotype.

But again, to bring it back to the original post - this video is in NO WAY even stereotyping - let alone being racist. If it was a mock scenario where they were creating some kind of play on the TNT set and everyone was an actor? Sure, I could see the argument (though the fact that these exact types of talks go on in city barbershops all over the country would make that a dumb reason to get your panties in a bunch). But the fact is that by all accounts it looked pretty legit to me.

In closing, chill.

My bad dude, I thought we were talking about people, not cars and mountains.

tredigs
04-14-2011, 08:38 PM
My bad dude, I thought we were talking about people, not cars and mountains.

Now take that tongue-in-cheek mind state and understand with me why racism is such a different thing than stereotypes, and why this video (and how the NBA conducts business in general) is neither of the two.

Jewelz0376
04-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Regardless, the commentators going to a predominantly black barbershop to talk ball is neither stereotyping nor racism (to think that is pure stupidity, honestly). It wasn't a mock scenario... they went there... it happened. That's called engaging a population with common interests.

@ttam68. Don't hide behind a curtain of grammar mistakes because your opinion doesn't jive with another groups (correct) take on the matter.

I'm curious are you black?

tredigs
04-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm curious are you black?

No, dual citizen and mostly "white". Just lived in cities and had plenty of friends there who lived for these exact types of barbershops; As American as a deep-fried chicken joint in Memphis and a gay bar in 'Frisco...

Uh-oh.

Knickfansince97
04-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Come on man really???

midwestmadman
04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
This thread is both funny and entertaining, but it does bring some interesting topics to light. I for one would say that the barbershop themed interview etc. isn't racist. I have plenty of black friends and honestly the barbershop is where most male bonding is done, it's where sports talk is done, politcal talks are had, and where one can speak freely far from the sensitive ears of society. I guess using it to define someone (particulalry when that someone is a white Jewish man) in order to appeal to a market segment one could say is distasteful, but I would go so far as racist. As for trying to appeal to the latino fans, it all about $. With the projected increase of latinos in Amerca (which I am one, though a legal one) positioned to be the majority in the future why not start appeal to that gravey train now? I will admit that I think the "Los" and "EL" jersey's are very tackey, and perhaps a bit racist, they could at least make the whole team name in spanish. For Example The Heat transalate to "El Calor", not "El Heat". If the NBA wants to be taken seriously they have to go all the way with it, saying Los Lakers, can be taken as mocking, and that can scare away the dollars.

TheHoopsProphet
05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
UPDATE: 5/8/2011

Today on the front page on the NBA website, there is a picture of Derrick Rose with his mom receiving the MVP award. Under the picture the headline reads:

"Nothing Without His Mama"

It is something that could get easily overlooked, but wouldn't most agree that the context of this headline would seem much more awkward if this were Dirk Nowitzki receiving the award with his mom? The media is very subtle, but its little things like this that easily pass us on a conscious level yet permeate into our unconscious level and influence our predisposed views on different cultures. It debases Rose into this country-boy from the South who played hoops by the farm across some arable land, even though he was some upper-middle class kid who grew up in the north suburbs of Chicago.

headline (http://i.imgur.com/9LMhq.png)

tredigs
05-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Today on the front page on the NBA website, there is a picture of Derrick Rose with his mom receiving the MVP award. Under the picture the headline reads:

It is something that could get easily overlooked, but wouldn't most agree that the context of this headline would seem much more awkward if this were Dirk Nowitzki receiving the award with his mom? The media is very subtle, but its little things like this that easily pass us on a conscious level yet permeate into our unconscious level and influence our predisposed views on different cultures. It debases Rose into this country-boy from the South who played hoops by the farm across some arable land, even though he was some upper-middle class kid who grew up in the north suburbs of Chicago.

It would be weird if they had that headline for Dirk just like it would be weird if they had that headline for Tim Duncan or any other grizzled vet in their 30's; and not a 22 yr old kid who gushes over his mom every chance he can get.

In other news, I called my mom "mama" today at least 5 times, including on her card.

I see no update here.

AddiX
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
It's not racist, it's marketing.

you wouldn't advertise Afro sheer at the Kentucky derby would you?

Epic loss thread...

Anilyzer
05-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Very excellent post, very funny, and I do feel your revulsion for the kind of corporate condescension that is the product of something grass roots and cultural being totally pimped by mega-firms and banks that at bottom think we
are gullible morons who are amazed by some guy throwing a ball into a hoop and despise us for it. Every fake smile as you hear "And the OKLAHOMA THUNDER choose as the 3rd pick in the draft..."

Anyhow... I do detect a few notes of racism or something like it in your (admittedly very funny) office scene. It's a delicate subject all around I suppose... and you are an equal opportunity offender... but there is some real ugliness buried underneath all of these entire issues, ultimately. Like "NBA, you are FANtastic!!" And for instance Dwight Howard is "superman", but would the NBA ever say that for instance Dwight could've gone to Yale or Harvard or something like that? However, ultimately, the hint of anti-semitism is unneccessary, and hurts your cause, because anti-semitism is ultimately the last refuge of the facists, the believers and the irrationally racist.

It just kind of goes without saying that the NBA entertainment is broadcast to two groups:

One, a kind of cultural underclass consisting of disenfranchised urban and rural whites as well as various minority populations, who are mostly undereducated and somewhat impoverished.

And two, a more sophisticated group of core NBA fans, if I was going to guess probably 85% white or asian, who are more likely to buy expensive seats to games and lots of NBA gear, and who share in common a kind of "cultural fetish" for the NBA's urban charm. This all might amount to a type of penis envy, essentially, watching big pogo sticks jumping around the pixels of your screen as they "jam it" and "slam it", as well as a kind of unconscious desire to be rough and rebellious and "in your face" aggressive... what we could call the "suburban 50 cent syndrome."

Anyways, how about the way Kia does the Blake Griffin add, and always shows him from an angle that makes him look like a red haired scotsman or something?

To some extent the NBA is just trying to make lemonade, and they also I think show a lot of respect for the rich multi-cultural and counter-cultural legacy of the NBA and the ABA. Where they fall down is when they kind of silence the counter-cultural appeal (which ultimately must always address the issue of economic inequality) and instead impose a kind of authoritarianism on the sport: this shows in the way the structure of the NBA is totally hierarchical, a dictatorship really, with Stern at the top, and questioning of authority strictly forbidden. Ugliness like the Cavs owner trashing Lebron gets only mildly chastised, because it after all reinforces the key idea that the players are lower than the owners--even though the players are everything to the league and to the game.

Anyways good post I hope I added a few ideas to the ideasphere sir

Anilyzer
05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
It would be weird if they had that headline for Dirk just like it would be weird if they had that headline for Tim Duncan or any other grizzled vet in their 30's; and not a 22 yr old kid who gushes over his mom every chance he can get.

In other news, I called my mom "mama" today at least 5 times, including on her card.

I see no update here.

No, there is something there, whether consciously intended or not.

The implication is that Rose, as an african american, is more likely raised by a single mom, and from dicey circumstances.

Whereas Dirk (Nowitzki) is likely the product of a strong conservative protestant European household, with a strong father figure etc etc.

Like if you ever saw Dirk's parents at a game I bet it would be both of them, or just his father... not like his mother running out on to the court, which kind of sends the message (like the Shaq situation and so many others) that he doesn't even know who his real father is, and his mom is "everything" for him.

Anyhow, this probably actually helps a lot of kids who are in that situation, so we can't really say it's bad, but there are some cultural or racial assumptions that get casually made.

limebalz05
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Brent Barry is GOD

Anilyzer
05-08-2011, 10:09 PM
This thread is both funny and entertaining, but it does bring some interesting topics to light. I for one would say that the barbershop themed interview etc. isn't racist. I have plenty of black friends and honestly the barbershop is where most male bonding is done, it's where sports talk is done, politcal talks are had, and where one can speak freely far from the sensitive ears of society. I guess using it to define someone (particulalry when that someone is a white Jewish man) in order to appeal to a market segment one could say is distasteful, but I would go so far as racist. As for trying to appeal to the latino fans, it all about $. With the projected increase of latinos in Amerca (which I am one, though a legal one) positioned to be the majority in the future why not start appeal to that gravey train now? I will admit that I think the "Los" and "EL" jersey's are very tackey, and perhaps a bit racist, they could at least make the whole team name in spanish. For Example The Heat transalate to "El Calor", not "El Heat". If the NBA wants to be taken seriously they have to go all the way with it, saying Los Lakers, can be taken as mocking, and that can scare away the dollars.

the barbershop theme isn't necessarily racist, but it is overwhelmingly blue collar. Coupled with the complete collapse of US manufacturing and the lower middle class, it borders on depressing.

I never got the appeal of that whole "barbershop" thing. The Barbershop movies were weak, and barbershops are in general unsexy and unnappealing. And as a kid, I hated the barbershop. Also barbershop quartets are practically a racist caricature... that has nothing to do with what we're talking about, but we all kind of know that black + barbershop = ghetto in most movies and TV shows.

yeah why wouldn't they show NBA'ers in a top salon or something... it's like they're really skittish about showing NBA'ers with lots of wealth. The lower class fans feel jealous (maybe) and the upper class fans just see uppity ghetto kids flashing wealth they wish THEY had. So it's a double whammy. The barbershop just kind of says "we still in the hood keepin' it real" or whatever. lame.

OA SLAY
05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
you're a fool bro. If anything Stern is trying to rid the NBA of such stereotypes. Maybe if you didnt get your haircut at a salon you would have a better understanding. (Barber shop was in Atlanta where NBA studio is, no white folk in ATL...)

Anilyzer
05-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Because I don't think guys hanging out at a barbershop talking about basketball is a reflection of black culture, its just a fabrication of it.

^^ This

Anilyzer
05-08-2011, 10:32 PM
But all that being said, the NBA tries pretty hard, and they are part of the culture and they are evolving and awakening culturally just as we all are. Overall I'd say that Stern and the NBA, even if you don't care for them, are a force for good and equality in the world.

KingPosey
05-08-2011, 10:57 PM

I thought you said you were heterosexual?

kidding. And that dark figure is Brent Barry.

And i think you are reading WAY to much into this. We are too hyper-sensitive as a nation now-a-days. But is funny when someone gets their feathers ruffled, and becomes "offended" over A stereo type that was not directed at them what so ever, therefore they would not have anyway to be offended by it. How do you know how to feel about something that could never affect you, your situation, your background, or your ethnicity, or ethnical surroundings in anyway? You are purpetuating the issue, and become part of the problem. Things arent always either racist or not racist. Sometime they just are what they are.

RB#20
05-08-2011, 11:09 PM
This video is VERY OFFENSIVE! I cannot believe this! Things like this should never happen! How the hell can you make a show hosted by Dennis Scott and call him a basketball expert. That's absurd!

tbone2171
05-08-2011, 11:18 PM

6. Leagues such as the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL get fan reaction all the time. How is this any different. Hmm, oh wait, I know.....

Is that you Rev. Al Sharpton?

KingPosey
05-08-2011, 11:24 PM

That quote made me go listen to the video, and I officially am a DRose fan now. I might have been a while ago but PSD Chi fans turned me off from the notion. Powerful words there though...

TrueFan420
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
yes there is still a lot of racism in the media but any point your trying to make gets ruined by you with the stupid poll and tags and homophobic conversation between stern and whoever. if your going to address and adult issue try behaving like one first instead of belittling the issue at hand.

OA SLAY
05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
this video is very offensive! I cannot believe this! Things like this should never happen! How the hell can you make a show hosted by dennis scott and call him a basketball expert. that's absurd!

:d

AIRMAR72
05-09-2011, 12:52 AM
THIS thread IS RUBBISH 3d(dennis scott) should ask those fat humps where is best soulfood spot and sell them a toyota(dennis have toyota dealeship) he sold me nice tundra 2yrs ago

tredigs
05-09-2011, 01:26 AM
No, there is something there, whether consciously intended or not.

The implication is that Rose, as an african american, is more likely raised by a single mom, and from dicey circumstances.

Whereas Dirk (Nowitzki) is likely the product of a strong conservative protestant European household, with a strong father figure etc etc.

Like if you ever saw Dirk's parents at a game I bet it would be both of them, or just his father... not like his mother running out on to the court, which kind of sends the message (like the Shaq situation and so many others) that he doesn't even know who his real father is, and his mom is "everything" for him.

Anyhow, this probably actually helps a lot of kids who are in that situation, so we can't really say it's bad, but there are some cultural or racial assumptions that get casually made.

Have you been listening to D. Rose's interviews lately? He flat out says he's nothing without her, and that she was what helped keep him on track growing up in Englewood (terrible crime infested neighborhood in southside).

Like most inner city black kids, Derrick doesn't have a father that raised him. And yes, Dirk has a father that is still around. He lives in Germany and came to watch him play in his first playoff series during the 1st round - they made a little show of it.

This comparison is not going well for you...

Anilyzer
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Have you been listening to D. Rose's interviews lately? He flat out says he's nothing without her, and that she was what helped keep him on track growing up in Englewood (terrible crime infested neighborhood in southside).

Like most inner city black kids, Derrick doesn't have a father that raised him. And yes, Dirk has a father that is still around. He lives in Germany and came to watch him play in his first playoff series during the 1st round - they made a little show of it.

This comparison is not going well for you...

See, I was just making that up, and it is actually what they broadcast. I mean Derrick Rose is an inspiration to a lot of people, a lot of kids, and so really I see nothing wrong with that. But it is predictable nonetheless.

Anilyzer
05-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I mean ultimately HoopsProphet is overreaching on this topic. But it does touch on some racial stereotypes. However as I've said, I think the NBA is evolving and is helping society somewhat to evolve... it's inevitable that PR firms and media companies will view us as a mass of idiots. We can also point out when they are idiots... like the whole "barbershop" theme of trying to establish an "old school" tradition or whatever--weak. Unsexy. Depressing. Drap. Stupid. Old guys pontificating about who is the "greater-ist" while picking pieces of food out of their dentures. Doesn't add. Turn the channel. Learn from football. Etc etc.

I mean it's no more racial than, say, presidential candidates going to a Pennsylvania diner for breakfast at 7:00AM and talking to blue collar white folks about jobs and healthcare or whatever. It just is what it is. Of course you'd never see Barack Obama in a barbershop, because it sends completely the wrong message. Anyhow we can just look back a few years and see that we've come a long, long way baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk

jets-24
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
this thread needs to be ended .....this is nonsense ....they do one interview in a black barbershop and now its rasict ......barbers cant have there opinion on basketball.....i think its actually good that they got opinions from elsewhere other than analyst all the time .....are you rasict mad bcuz they where at a black barbershop.....if your not black you wouldnt kno wjhat goes on in a black barbershop ,

Voodoo Alchemy
05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
1st off i didn't read the entire article but i basically got the point. people use urban terms because it's todays culture, not to stoop down to black education level. key word i used is people which reflects all color, race and creed.

jets-24
05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
the thread itself is more degrading and rasict than the point itself f this guy ...choke urself ...his first 4 questions are dumb as hell .......what whit people do ukno attend a black barbershop seriously???

Anilyzer
05-09-2011, 09:39 PM
It's just time for the NBA to graduate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHs4x2uqcQ

TheHoopsProphet
05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
It's just time for the NBA to graduate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHs4x2uqcQ

dont bump the thread with stuff like this.

mods close it plz

fingerbang
05-09-2011, 10:04 PM
This is hands down the best thread I've seen on this site. I'm glad it was bumped.

Can we get a Scoops Callahan(1920s reporter guy) thread going?

Lakerhead4ever
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
no where near racism imo. the whole league is "urbanized". just look at the shorts they wear now from when they use to be shorter.

i dnt think its just the nba, its almost everything. radio, malls, car pars, clothes, ect.

i am black, and this does not offend me at all. its almost a way of life now

Anilyzer
05-10-2011, 02:46 AM
dont bump the thread with stuff like this.

mods close it plz

Are you serious? I was trying to help you out with your extremely flimsy and borderline manic depressive premise. Even though I thought some of your David Stern stuff was borderline offensive, I still tried to stick up for you because I thought you made a few decent insights. Don't be such a thread diva... you start a provocative thread, then when it evolves you want somebody to close it. Whatever. Disappointing. I was hoping for something insightful seeing as you had started with such a lofty premise.

Anyhow, I thought the Kanye video was totally represntative of the spirit of freedom, and freedom from stereotypes and limitations that the league must embrace going forward.

NBA "old school" credibility isn't that credible, and being in a barbershop doesn't make it any more credible. *finger roll*.

TheHoopsProphet
05-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Are you serious? I was trying to help you out with your extremely flimsy and borderline manic depressive premise. Even though I thought some of your David Stern stuff was borderline offensive, I still tried to stick up for you because I thought you made a few decent insights. Don't be such a thread diva... you start a provocative thread, then when it evolves you want somebody to close it. Whatever. Disappointing. I was hoping for something insightful seeing as you had started with such a lofty premise.

Anyhow, I thought the Kanye video was totally represntative of the spirit of freedom, and freedom from stereotypes and limitations that the league must embrace going forward.

NBA "old school" credibility isn't that credible, and being in a barbershop doesn't make it any more credible. *finger roll*.

I don't think bumping the thread with a kanye west music video would fit the criteria of an evolved premise, mate. Thread seems to be side-stepping. I don't want people to back up my ideas, I want them to give me theirs. If you think I'm wrong, I'd gladly like to hear why. That's all.

And perhaps that video does entail the ideas of liberty from oppression, but it would be nice if you explained why you posted it.

TheHoopsProphet
05-10-2011, 03:33 AM
I mean ultimately HoopsProphet is overreaching on this topic. But it does touch on some racial stereotypes. However as I've said, I think the NBA is evolving and is helping society somewhat to evolve... it's inevitable that PR firms and media companies will view us as a mass of idiots. We can also point out when they are idiots... like the whole "barbershop" theme of trying to establish an "old school" tradition or whatever--weak. Unsexy. Depressing. Drap. Stupid. Old guys pontificating about who is the "greater-ist" while picking pieces of food out of their dentures. Doesn't add. Turn the channel. Learn from football. Etc etc.

I mean it's no more racial than, say, presidential candidates going to a Pennsylvania diner for breakfast at 7:00AM and talking to blue collar white folks about jobs and healthcare or whatever. It just is what it is. Of course you'd never see Barack Obama in a barbershop, because it sends completely the wrong message. Anyhow we can just look back a few years and see that we've come a long, long way baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk

I agree with you mate, the barbershop scene may have been more about serving towards a class then a race. Though most times, class and race go hand in hand. And from a legal perspective, we have gone far away from black oppression that have been experienced by many people still alive and walking this earth to this day. But de facto segregation is alive and well. Look at the redlining of cities seperating the Caucasians from the blacks in poor communities. We still lead polarizing urban lifestyles.

We are still as racist as we were at any point in human history.

And above all, in response to your video, the media doesn't seem to have stepped away from the exploitation of blacks either:

bamboozled, again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxsYBzDqPw)

Anilyzer
05-10-2011, 03:47 AM
I don't think bumping the thread with a kanye west music video would fit the criteria of an evolved premise, mate. Thread seems to be side-stepping. I don't want people to back up my ideas, I want them to give me theirs. If you think I'm wrong, I'd gladly like to hear why. That's all.

And perhaps that video does entail the ideas of liberty from oppression, but it would be nice if you explained why you posted it.

I guess it wouldn't exactly be accurate to say I was "backing up your ideas", however I do agree that the media perpetuates racial stereotypes, and it is all the more insidious when it is just taken for granted. A town hall meeting of old school black males in an urban barbershop pontificating about whether Derrick Rose is better than Oscar Robertson or whatever does in fact carry some weird racial overtones... which may or may not be coincidental. Regardless... anybody looks stupid standing in a barbershop philosophizing to 10 other dudes in urbanized English about which NBA player is the "best in the game." Mitt Romney would look like a moron in the same situation.

The worst thing for me is that barbershops are so unaesthetic and unnappealing. They're drab, boring, smell like disinfectant, there's no girls there, and it is just like a meeting place for angry a-holes usually. Andy Griffith hung out at the barbershop. Barbershops are somewhat conservative...

Anyhow... the validity of Hip Hop culture is something completely different... Hip Hop has a TON of cultural value. And the fact that the NBA picks up on slang words and hip hop styles is totally fine and totally in line with the national trends and the American, European and Asian modern cultures. I don't think dropping a "t" or a "d" off the end of some words or lengthening your vowels or using some ebonic grammar or slang means you're being condescending, nor do I think it means a deterioration of Western culture and society.

I'm not totally remembering the premise of your original post. Just how racist were you saying this NBA commercial is? Just how troubling and pervasive are these ethnic stereotypes in your view?

To me, it seems kind of not that bad. At this point everything seems to be out there from every perspective... some of it's good some of it's bad but everybody is evolving and media is evolving.

As for the Kanye / Murakami video, I think it speaks for itself, I can't add anything to it nor do I care to decode it's meaning.

Anilyzer
05-10-2011, 03:56 AM
I agree with you mate, the barbershop scene may have been more about serving towards a class then a race. Though most times, class and race go hand in hand. And from a legal perspective, we have gone far away from black oppression that have been experienced by many people still alive and walking this earth to this day. But de facto segregation is alive and well. Look at the redlining of cities seperating the Caucasians from the blacks in poor communities. We still lead polarizing urban lifestyles.

We are still as racist as we were at any point in human history.

And above all, in response to your video, the media doesn't seem to have stepped away from the exploitation of blacks either:

bamboozled, again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxsYBzDqPw)

WOW. That is awesome. It never occurred to me that every black actor wears a dress in a role at some point in their career.

I always feel that the roles an actor plays on screen have a HUGE effect on their stardom and career... it's almost as if, in the public's mind, the star becomes the sum of all the parts they've played, and their roles and movies become like real events we associate with them.

Stars like Arnold and Stallone ALWAYS play the macho tough winner good guy, or at least the totally cool macho tough bad guy.

You can see what happens a lot, an up and coming action actor will take a role where he gets defeated and killed in a movie, and then after that he can't be the invincible action star. Like for instance, Steven Seagal never gets killed in a movie. It is like he is an immortal character that goes from role to role, using kung fu.

Once an actor takes a crummy loser role then they lose the mystique

Anilyzer
05-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Anyways I do agree that there is far too much racism in the world... ideally there wouldn't be any whatsoever, as "race" doesn't really exist in actuality. A lot of racism is just a form of tribalism, or people aligning with those they perceive as similar to themselves. And a lot of it has to do with religion--for instance anti-semitism has more to do with the belief in an empty tomb or a final prophet more than with conceptions of racial differences. Similarly, much of europe is broken down into catholic/orthodox/muslim etc communities... in fact the terms "race" and "religion" and "culture" seem to be almost freely interchangeable. So it is all a very complex problem.

In general, in the US, I think we do a decent and somewhat improving job of trying to be fair in how people get represented in the media. And people seem to like different races and cultures and think they're cool (witness the popularity of japanese culture and martial arts, say, as well as urban hip hop culture etc).

so there is hope

Anilyzer
05-10-2011, 04:18 AM

jimbobjarree
05-10-2011, 04:58 AM
hero

magichatnumber9
05-10-2011, 06:46 AM
homophobic cornrows, what is that? What was Mr. Wiggaz Barry doing? I thought he was going to stretch his knowledge of urban vernacular and start busting out with 70's jive talk. That video made my head numb

Ovratd1up
05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
A stereo type that was not directed at them what so ever, therefore they would not have anyway to be offended by it. How do you know how to feel about something that could never affect you, your situation, your background, or your ethnicity, or ethnical surroundings in anyway? You are purpetuating the issue, and become part of the problem. Things arent always either racist or not racist. Sometime they just are what they are.

So does this mean that because I'm a healthy straight white American male I get a free pass to never be offended by anything? This is a ridiculously sad statement. Is there really not enough room or time to be a conscientious, compassionate, empathetic individual?

[B]...It is something that could get easily overlooked, ... The media is very subtle, but its little things like this that easily pass us on a conscious level yet permeate into our unconscious level and influence our predisposed views on different cultures.

Without responding to the specific example, this is exactly what I think people don't understand about how the devil, er, media works. People watch degrading commercial after degrading commercial, each time reducing the viewer to an unaware, soulless, thoughtless consumer until the viewer finally is just that... and unless Fox News says "White people should be slaves" no one is ever offended, no one ever notices, no one seems to care...

king_of_limbs
02-28-2012, 08:44 PM
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/02/28/magic-join-spanish-jersey-crowd/

Los Spurs. El Heat. Los Suns. Los Mavs.
Now add the Orlando Magic to the list of NBA teams reaching out to their Hispanic and Latino communities.
The team will wear jerseys emblazoned “El Magic” for three home games, starting Thursday vs. Oklahoma City. Here’s a look at it:

Meatmypet
02-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Why necro?

AllKohn
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I feel terrible for black people- I just hope that some other minority comes along in the sport so black athletes and reporters can show everyone else how you treat another human being. :facepalm:

netsgiantsyanks
02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
shut your pretty mouth unless it's sucking something

-that's my catchphrase from now on.

netsgiantsyanks
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
the league is basically urbanized, it tries to appeal to all types of fans in order to stay relevant. i think the way the play it out is meh, but i'll give them an a for effort.

Klivlend
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I remember TheHoopsProphet...funny guy

PleaseBeNice
03-15-2012, 02:36 AM
^ Nice

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-15-2012, 02:40 AM
lol

benzni
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
epic bump to an epic post by an epic poster

Gram
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
:laugh:

SACNYY
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
awesome tags

haha was thinking the same thing. wtf

MrfadeawayJB
03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
epic bump to an epic post by an epic poster

beat me to it

flatbush knicks
03-15-2012, 01:11 PM
seriously??????? but if it was a bunch of crackers it would be cool ????????????

The Final Boss
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
lol

fresh prince
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Honestly hoops the "segment" wasn't bad or stereotypical at all.

Thats a pretty accurate depiction of an actual Barbershop sports talk session. My Uncle owned a barber shop here in LA growing up so as I kid I was exposed to hours upon hours of barber shop rhetoric.

What I found most shocking was that my fellow Oregon State Alumnus (and token white guy) Brent Barry was the only dude speaking ebonics..

Atta Boy Brent!!

LASportsFan1996
05-04-2012, 01:02 AM
:laugh:

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Umm... am I missing something here? I remember the day after Pao Gasol got traded to the Lakers I specifially went to a barber shop JUST TO TALK ABOUT THE TRADE! I'm white... I'm Canadian... there are not a lot of people to talk to about basketball where I live, so I went to the barber shop and I talked about basketball with basketball fan. How did I know they were ball fans? Because they always had basketball highlights kickin' on the tv. were they black? yes. so what?

They went to the shop where dennis scott gets his trimming done. he probably came back to the studio and suggested the idea.
i don't get it... why dont we start calling teams racists for drafting black players? seriously? who cares what colour these people are getting their hair cut.

i don't get, but i'm white, so maybe i'm a moron about this. it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong about something

but those guys that were saying kobe is better than James were on crack! and rose as MVP? he missed so many games and his steam still played well without him. and not one mention of CP3 for MVP in the crowd... those guys didn't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground.
kobe is the winningest player of his generation, but LBJ never had a prime Shaq to play with, not does he have Bynum and Gasol.