PDA

View Full Version : Yahoosports: Celtics make a statement

JordansBulls
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AitOJWwXs96HDcBBPomdyMG8vLYF?gid=201104 1127)

WASHINGTON (AP)—Even in a game that went to overtime, the most interesting spectacle was the quartet of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo sitting on the Boston Celtics’ bench.

The Celtics were making a statement: The Miami Heat can have second place. It wasn’t worth fighting for anymore. Coach Doc Rivers decreed that a few days of rest for his veteran starters would be a bigger priority than trying to climb one rung in the standings in the season’s final days.

I didn't even realize the C's didn't play there top 4 players in the game yesterday. I understand what Doc is saying, but still he should have wanted to finish with a better record than anyone out west except San Antonio just in case.

mjt20mik
04-12-2011, 11:33 AM
When your top 3 players are in their mid 30s, having them rest for a couple of days before the playoffs is definitely smart.

haggis
04-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AitOJWwXs96HDcBBPomdyMG8vLYF?gid=201104 1127)

I didn't even realize the C's didn't play there top 4 players in the game yesterday. I understand what Doc is saying, but still he should have wanted to finish with a better record than anyone out west except San Antonio just in case.

I would agree with you in any other case except the C's. I know HCA is hugely important to you JB, but the C's proved last year that they don't need HCA to go far. They need everyone in their lineup healthy in order to make any noise this year.

Storch
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I would have rested the starters more than Doc did if I was him :shrug: All the Celtics needs is to be healthy.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I would have rested the starters more than Doc did if I was him :shrug: All the Celtics needs is to be healthy.

You want to stay healthy, but you also don't want to be rusty. C's have drawn probably the toughest 1st round opponent of the top 4 seeds in the east, and need to be ready to go.

allSUAVE
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
OK what ever, they knew they wasn't going to catch the heat after Sundays beat down.

nickdymez
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
You want to stay healthy, but you also don't want to be rusty. C's have drawn probably the toughest 1st round opponent of the top 4 seeds in the east, and need to be ready to go.

NBA players in their mid 30's taking game's 80-82 off will not be rusty

Hawkize31
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
If game 7 of the 2nd round is Celtics vs. Heat in Miami, Doc might reconsider this decision.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
NBA players in their mid 30's taking game's 80-82 off will not be rusty

Did you read the post I quoted??? The person said Doc should have been resting them more than just now.

Avenged
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Statement? For giving up on the 2nd seed rather than going for it? Whatever. It backfired last season for them and it will again.

They probably let the Heat beat them down on purpose too. :rolleyes:

danniboi168
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Doc making excuses?

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 12:17 PM
yea making a statement by getting a 23 point beatdown. yea u showed us doc.

pebloemer
04-12-2011, 12:27 PM

No need to make it into something that Doc said. No one went out and made an article about the Spurs resting their players all these years heading into the playoffs and calling it a "statement" to the other teams in the West. This is an article making something out of nothing. Don't catch the bait and perpetuate it into something it is not.

Kashmir13579
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
its cause they OWN the Knicks in recent history.

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
No need to make it into something that Doc said. No one went out and made an article about the Spurs resting their players all these years heading into the playoffs and calling it a "statement" to the other teams in the West. This is an article making something out of nothing. Don't catch the bait and perpetuate it into something it is not.

fair point

JustASportsFan
04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
As much as I dislike the proverbial "throwing in the towel", resting the 4 starters for a couple of extra days should be a benefit. I don't think the extra rest will be detrimental because the team will still have 2 or 3 days to practice before the playoffs start. It also gives the coaching staff 2 full games to see the other guys play and decide who will fill out the rest of the playoff roster. I think the extra playing time for the bench players is necessary because as a whole, they have not played well lately.

hgtiger32
04-12-2011, 12:55 PM
If game 7 of the 2nd round is Celtics vs. Heat in Miami, Doc might reconsider this decision.

Good thinking.

Tarheels23
04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Doc's statement was nothing more than "I need my guys fresh for the postseason tourny"

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Doc's statement was nothing more than "I need my guys fresh for the postseason tourny"

If they would've beaten Miami on Sunday, Boston's starters may well have been playing this week. But once they lost to the Heat, it made sense for Doc to rest his starters and concede the 2 seed, especially when you take a look at Miami's schedule and see Atlanta and Toronto on the horizon. From Doc's point of view Sunday night, the Heat were unlikely to lose either of their two remaining games, so why play your starters and risk injury/fatigue when your chances of getting the 2 were all but infinitesimal.

kntresistheheat
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Doc is a smart coach and I believe he had all intentions to rest his guys wether they were a 1st seed or a 3rd seed. I don't believe that he just said let the heat take the 2nd seed or else he would of rest his guys against the heat to make that statement!

blahblahyoutoo
04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
doc knows in his heart this team is not going anywhere this year.

Tarheels23
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
If they would've beaten Miami on Sunday, Boston's starters may well have been playing this week. But once they lost to the Heat, it made sense for Doc to rest his starters and concede the 2 seed, especially when you take a look at Miami's schedule and see Atlanta and Toronto on the horizon. From Doc's point of view Sunday night, the Heat were unlikely to lose either of their two remaining games, so why play your starters and risk injury/fatigue when your chances of getting the 2 were all but infinitesimal.

Agreed.

dnewguy
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't understand all the rest bs, you can sit your players to avoid any injury in a game that isn't important but resting your players is just pathetic. Don't they get days off during the play-offs? That is enough rest.

I understand sitting them out to avoid injury but resting a middle aged man makes him more tired if anything.

When do you get more tired, sitting at home for 12 hrs or working for 12 hours. It seems people get more tired doing nothing.

AIsixersFK
04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
They just didnt wanna play the sixers :)

koLohe2133
04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Lovin the hate....go write em off. Again. Per usual.

I think shaq has got one more big push and with him in the middle Joel "who the **** is this" Anthony will NOT have a game in the same solar system as he did the other night.

Knicks, u have no defense. U have antoni as your coach (see what I did there?) rondo is gonna run circles around Chauncey.

Heat, you lose 3 of 4 and y'all start getting swag? Remember, u have 2 and a half
Men plus a bench of castoffs.... For reals.

Not going to say anything about the bulls, they deserve respect.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't understand all the rest bs, you can sit your players to avoid any injury in a game that isn't important but resting your players is just pathetic. Don't they get days off during the play-offs? That is enough rest.

I understand sitting them out to avoid injury but resting a middle aged man makes him more tired if anything.

When do you get more tired, sitting at home for 12 hrs or working for 12 hours. It seems people get more tired doing nothing.

I agree with you, but working a desk job is vastly different from getting banged up on a basketball court day in and day out.

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 01:38 PM
totally agree with the move

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM

I think shaq has got one more big push and with him in the middle Joel "who the **** is this" Anthony will NOT have a game in the same solar system as he did the other night.

Knicks, u have no defense. U have antoni as your coach (see what I did there?) rondo is gonna run circles around Chauncey.

Heat, you lose 3 of 4 and y'all start getting swag? Remember, u have 2 and a half

lol for reals?? thats cute...

just make sure the old 3 have enough bengay for the 2nd round (if they make it)

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
hes ****ing right, you guys go and forget the 1st three games where the celtics owned

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
hes ****ing right, you guys go and forget the 1st three games where the celtics owned

:eyebrow:

tsb77
04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
The Heat go 1-3 against the C's and all of a sudden its like they're invincible

koLohe2133
04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Make sure the heat have enough tissues

Chi StateOfMind
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
thats fine u wanna rest but dont act like u havent been playing bad for a while either

Chi StateOfMind
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
if they wouldnt have been playin like crap they mighta got the #1 seed

J-Heyfever
04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
No body is "forgetting" that boston went 3-1 against miami, but lets not pretend that this is the same boston team as the one that went 3-0 against miami. Or for that matter that this is the same miami team both teams seem to be haeded in different directions. Thats not to say that boston cant turn it right back around in a heartbeat and again make it to the finals just that they dont appear to be that same team that seemed to own miami earlier this year.

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
of course heat fan wants to ingnore the prior three games lol

Hangtime
04-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Forget that Miami ****. They were still battling LA for HCA. A team they could very well see in the finals and I think that certainly mattered. I would much rather a game 6 or 7 in Boston than LA.

J-Heyfever
04-12-2011, 02:24 PM
wanting to ignore and forgetting are two very different things.

koLohe2133
04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
No body is "forgetting" that boston went 3-1 against miami, but lets not pretend that this is the same boston team as the one that went 3-0 against miami. Or for that matter that this is the same miami team both teams seem to be haeded in different directions. Thats not to say that boston cant turn it right back around in a heartbeat and again make it to the finals just that they dont appear to be that same team that seemed to own miami earlier this year.

Youre right. We don't have nate Robinson....

Do your hw, perk didn't play in 2 of the wins

justinnum1
04-12-2011, 02:27 PM

the castoffs outscored your bench by 20 lmfao

J-Heyfever
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
@koLohe2133 Do your homework not once did I mention the name kendrick Perkins I said that both Miami and Boston have been very different teams since those meetings, I also said thats not to say Boston cant turn it on in a heartbeat and make antoher title run I would never sleep on boston not with their track record and talent. But lets not pretend that they are playing their best ball at the moment.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
of course heat fan wants to ingnore the prior three games lol

LOL! And of course a Heat hater wants to readily dismiss a 23-point, sans lube butt pounding.

koLohe2133
04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
the castoffs outscored your bench by 20 lmfao

Hey! Congrats! One game!!!

I'll take my bench over yours any day

koLohe2133
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
@koLohe2133 Do your homework not once did I mention the name kendrick Perkins I said that both Miami and Boston have been very different teams since those meetings, I also said thats not to say Boston cant turn it on in a heartbeat and make antoher title run I would never sleep on boston not with their track record and talent. But lets not pretend that they are playing their best ball at the moment.

The only differences is we lost perk, nate and we were out our big shamrock.

I did my hw.

We sucked heading into the playoffs last year and came within 4 mins of a ring....

I see you giving backhanded compliments but it comes down to this:

The playoffs are a whole another season.

Let's see who steps up and performs....

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
The first 3 losses against boston can't be ignored but i still discount the first 2 since they were so early in the season. wade had missed preseason and the heat played horribly together for the begining of the season. they are different now, for better or worse bibby is the starting point guard now not arroyo(who's now bostons 3rd string pg) and ever since the heats 5 game losing streak when bosh called himself out they've played real team ball. the bench needs to show up more consistently but when they do the heat are almost unbeatable.

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
LOL! And of course a Heat hater wants to readily dismiss a 23-point, sans lube butt pounding.

and you dismiss the first three games, they are different teams, but the heat have not played together in the playoffs, its going to be a lot harder...ill take the tm that has gone to two NBA finals in the last three years...just like last yr everyone is giving up on Boston, now I dont think they have what it takes to get to the finals but Im damn straight goin to pick them to beat the Heat

avrpatsfan
04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
doc knows in his heart this team is not going anywhere this year.
Lol

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
and you dismiss the first three games, they are different teams, but the heat have not played together in the playoffs, its going to be a lot harder...ill take the tm that has gone to two NBA finals in the last three years...just like last yr everyone is giving up on Boston, now I dont think they have what it takes to get to the finals but Im damn straight goin to pick them to beat the Heat

well i'd damn straight take them or the heat over the bulls and all their playoff experience lol.

Big Zo
04-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Again, Danny Ainge, you ****ed up. Lol

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 02:58 PM
actually thats a fallacy...every single player except the rookie asik/watson(i think) has been to the playoffs

justinnum1
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey! Congrats! One game!!!

I'll take my bench over yours any day

Get through the knicks and we'll see;)

koLohe2133
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Get through the knicks and we'll see;)

Either way....

I hope yall have enough tissues.....not 1, not 2, 3,4,5,6,7......

Zero

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Either way....

I hope yall have enough tissues.....not 1, not 2, 3,4,5,6,7......

Zero

lol noone even cried thats just a bunch of bs because the coach worded what he was trying to say wrong. might need tissues for all boshs slobber though...his glen davis impersonation was hilarious!

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2011, 03:14 PM
and at least miami will be a contender for years to come...in boston doesn't win this year i think their window has closed with only 1 title.

Steelers23_06
04-12-2011, 03:14 PM
i dont think it was a statement. i think it was more of a panic move. they know now they are playing new york which is a running team and need energy. i was talking to my friend who is a celtic fan and said that im happy they are playing new york because they are going to run those old guys to death.

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
lol gotta love the playoffs. nothing like a good rivalry to make a bunch of grown men go back and forth at each other about whos going to win for hours

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 03:16 PM
KG, Pierce and Allen still look good, they have a couple more yrs, PP is still a top 3 SF in the league(Bron/Durant/Pierce)

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
KG, Pierce and Allen still look good, they have a couple more yrs, PP is still a top 3 SF in the league(Bron/Durant/Pierce)

yeah i'm not saying their big 3 will be terrible after this year but they will be older and more injury prone. they still will have a young rondo who should keep improving but i don't think they'll be true contenders once this yr ends. the heat will add a decent big man(probably dalembert) and will have had another year to gel by the playoffs next season and hopefully haslem and miller will actually be healthy. also bulls and knicks have bright futures so i think boston is gonna fall back after this year. so last chance celtics better make it count!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Wow thats a lot coming out of a Bulls fan. (I'm not trying to attack you but most Bulls fans on the site won't say anything good about another team.)

bbd24
04-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Again, Danny Ainge, you ****ed up. Lol

Sounds like 07-08, when people said the same thing. Ray Allens ankles won't last a full season, KG's too old, Rondo can't shoot, etc. Then they shut their mouthes quick, while Ainge grabbed a championship.

I wouldn't bet against Ainge

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Wait, wait. So you don't see the Heat beating the Celtics because Boston "has gone to two NBA finals in the last three years" and the Heat "have not played together in the playoffs." But the Celtics definitely aren't going to make the finals right? No, no. And why is that? Oh, yeah, because they're not going to beat your Bulls. I guess the Bulls "have [] played together in the playoffs" and must have also "gone to two NBA finals in the last three years"?

:up:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Sounds like 07-08, when people said the same thing. Ray Allens ankles won't last a full season, KG's too old, Rondo can't shoot, etc. Then they shut their mouthes quick, while Ainge grabbed a championship.

Don't worry about it people are just overreacting.

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 03:29 PM

after this year they can compete but if they dont win it this year i dont see how they can compete next with Miami, Chi, and NY which are teams that can only get better. they would really need a good 5 (should of never traded perk :facepalm: ) and rondo to stay consistanly good

Jewelz0376
04-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I think it's actually better for Bos that they lost to Mia...If they would've beaten Mia they probably would've most likely played their starters the Washington game...Now they end an extra a couple days rest...

Although they probably will have the toughest series in round 1...they've proven in years past they can go thru grueling early round series, and still get to the finals...

bbd24
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
lol gotta love the playoffs. nothing like a good rivalry to make a bunch of grown men go back and forth at each other about whos going to win for hours

The thing about it is that any of those 3 teams could win the whole lot. Celtics always are dangerous in the playoffs since the core four arrived, Heat have the talent, and the Bulls proved they could beatdown anybody at any time.

The only given in the Playoffs will be the ratings. Great games to watch all around.

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I think it's actually better for Bos that they lost to Mia...If they would've beaten Mia they probably would've most likely played their starters the Washington game...Now they end an extra a couple days rest...

Although they probably will have the toughest series in round 1...they've proven in years past they can go thru grueling early round series, and still get to the finals...

yea the starters got rest which is nice but i think they would of been much better if they got the 2 seed. now they have to play NY which is going to take a toll, then go play the HEAT who not only are much younger (core group anyway) but also not as tired cuz we will most likly beat philly in 4 or 5.... AND.... they dont have HCA

Carey
04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
When i found out they werent playing my first thought is they value the rest they can give their big 4 more then they value a 2 seed.

uprightciti
04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
i am so freakin pumped for the playoffs this season

considering there will not be a next season...

Jewelz0376
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
yea the starters got rest which is nice but i think they would of been much better if they got the 2 seed. now they have to play NY which is going to take a toll, then go play the HEAT who not only are much younger (core group anyway) but also not as tired cuz we will most likly beat philly in 4 or 5.... AND.... they dont have HCA

Yea maybe...I think it depends on the Knicks series... I'm still not convinced that will take as big a toll as some think...They played no D and they aren't a good rebounding team... I could really see that series going 6-7 games or I could just as easily see it end in 5..

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 03:42 PM
When i found out they werent playing my first thought is they value the rest they can give their big 4 more then they value a 2 seed.

It wasn't a tradeoff. After Boston lost to Miami Sunday, the Heat had all but wrapped up the 2 seed. Even if Boston would go on to win their last two games, they would not clinch the 2 unless the Heat lost to either Atlanta or Toronto . . . and that was very unlikely to happen.

This wasn't a tradeoff between the 2 seed and rest. This was a tradeoff between (a) rest and the 3 seed, and (b) no rest and the 3 seed. Celtics were getting the 3 either way. Easy decision.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 03:44 PM
after this year they can compete but if they dont win it this year i dont see how they can compete next with Miami, Chi, and NY which are teams that can only get better. they would really need a good 5 (should of never traded perk :facepalm: ) and rondo to stay consistanly good

No, they were smart in trading Perkins. They were never paying him 7/8/9 Million per for his services. Not with the core 4 around. You get something now, instead of watching him walk away for virtually nothing next year. You could put free agent players like Shaq and Jermaine O'neal next to the core four and still win. They proved it all this year while Perkins was sitting on the bench. Their still a 50+ win team, yet half their roster has been on the sidelines. To have that many wins with that many injuries, well, thats pretty damn good. Thats a well built roster. They'll win in the playoffs if their core four step up and play their games.

Helluva trade by Ainge. Set them up to still win this year and he has options now going forward. KG and Ray Allens contracts will be coming to an end, and they'll probably sign back with the Celtics on the cheap side to end their careers. Add in the money they won't spend on Perkins, and that could cover KG or Ray, or another player going forward. Plus Ainge has a 1st round Clipper pick in his back pocket.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
They proved it all this year while Perkins was sitting on the bench. Their still a 50+ win team, yet half their roster has been on the sidelines. To have that many wins with that many injuries, well, thats pretty damn good. Thats a well built roster. They'll win in the playoffs if their core four step up and play their games.

Chicago has dealt with major injuries and so have the Heat--the Big 3 have all missed games, Mike Miller is going on a second thumb injury, and, hell, Haslem hasn't played a game since late November. The Celtics have a well-built roster, sure, but they're not all that exceptional when compared to their peers atop the East.

Rose-For-Prez
04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Some of you hate fans I mean heat fans make me smile. To discount Boston because you beat them 1 game this year just because you beat them by 23 points is ridiculous. I dislike Boston just as much as the next guy but you have to respect PP. Allen. and KG. they are still going to do work in the playoffs.

KmB728
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM

We still beat you guys 3 out of 4 on the season....

You've yet to beat us when were healthy

Kudos :clap:

Meatmypet
PRetty sure the C's are pretty confident they can oust the Knicks with ease. Hence, they don't really "care" who they fight in the first round and let the players rest.

justinnum1
No, they were smart in trading Perkins. They were never paying him 7/8/9 Million per for his services. Not with the core 4 around. You get something now, instead of watching him walk away for virtually nothing next year. You could put free agent players like Shaq and Jermaine O'neal next to the core four and still win. They proved it all this year while Perkins was sitting on the bench. Their still a 50+ win team, yet half their roster has been on the sidelines. To have that many wins with that many injuries, well, thats pretty damn good. Thats a well built roster. They'll win in the playoffs if their core four step up and play their games.

Helluva trade by Ainge. Set them up to still win this year and he has options now going forward. KG and Ray Allens contracts will be coming to an end, and they'll probably sign back with the Celtics on the cheap side to end their careers. Add in the money they won't spend on Perkins, and that could cover KG or Ray, or another player going forward. Plus Ainge has a 1st round Clipper pick in his back pocket.

And how much do you think green will ask for? At least 8mil....

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Yea maybe...I think it depends on the Knicks series... I'm still not convinced that will take as big a toll as some think...They played no D and they aren't a good rebounding team... I could really see that series going 6-7 games or I could just as easily see it end in 5..

yea i guess it comes down to a hard NY plays them.

Big Zo
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM

That has nothing to do with the present. Since the Perkins trade they haven't been the same, and if Shaq doesn't get real healthy real soon they are really ****ed.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Chicago has dealt with major injuries and so have the Heat--the Big 3 have all missed games, Mike Miller is going on a second thumb injury, and, hell, Haslem hasn't played a game since late November. The Celtics have a well-built roster, sure, but they're not all that exceptional when compared to their peers atop the East.

????

How can you say that when their top 3 in the East still with all of the injuries ?

If that isn't exceptional, I don't know what is. 50 + wins in this league is pretty damn exceptional, with or without your full roster.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
????

How can you say that when their top 3 in the East still with all of the injuries ?

If that isn't exceptional, I don't know what is. 50 + wins in this league is pretty damn exceptional, with or without your full roster.

Exceptional vis-a-vis the Bulls and Heat? No. Exceptional vis-a-vis the rest of the conference? Sure.

By definition, "exceptional" refers to that forming an exception; something rare or deviating from the norm. You're not all that exceptional when the Bulls and Heat have done the same (or similar) thing.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
And how much do you think green will ask for? At least 8mil....

Exactly the point. You now have the ability to match any contract if you want to keep Green (restricted FA), or use the money elsewhere if you feel he isn't worth what he is offered. You don't have to keep Green (IMO, you pay a 24 yr old who is just getting his feet wet in the league, not a player whose hit his peak, comes off major knee surgery, and gives you 5 point per game). You also get a backup center and a future 1st round pick to boot, without giving up your core 4.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
That has nothing to do with the present. Since the Perkins trade they haven't been the same, and if Shaq doesn't get real healthy real soon they are really ****ed.

Sure it does. Since the Perkins trade, they haven't been the same offensively, while defensively they have been the same. Last I checked, Perkins didn't give them much offensively regardless.

Its not about Perkins since the trade, its about their core 4. When their playing and on their games, namely Rondo, they are damn tough to beat. I don't care who you are, the Lakers, the Bulls, Heat, or the Harlem Globetrotters.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Exceptional vis-a-vis the Bulls and Heat? No. Exceptional vis-a-vis the rest of the conference? Sure.

By definition, "exceptional" refers to that forming an exception; something rare or deviating from the norm. You're not all that exceptional when the Bulls and Heat have done the same (or similar) thing.

Allowing 91 points per game without Perkins, and throughout the entire injured riddled season is 'exceptional'. In fact, its the best in the league.

Healthy at the start of the year and going 23-4 to start the season is also 'exceptional'. While beating teams along the way like the Bulls, the Heat, and without Perkins.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Allowing 91 points per game without Perkins, and throughout the entire injured riddled season is 'exceptional'. In fact, its the best in the league.

Healthy at the start of the year and going 23-4 to start the season is also 'exceptional'. While beating teams along the way like the Bulls, and Heat, and without Perkins.

My goodness are you dense. I'm talking about exceptional when it comes to overcoming injuries! They're NOT exceptional on that front. The Bulls and Heat have done the same thing! The same damn thing! And they both have better records than Boston.

Now, do you want we to say your Celtics are a special little snowflake? OK, fine, they're super duper über special with a cherry on top. Better?

xoxo

championships
04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
To me this says Boston is confident that they can beat Miami anytime anywhere. Doc obviously doesn't feel that having a better record is very important. Might as well rest your big dogs for the Playoffs.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 04:43 PM
My goodness are you dense. I'm talking about exceptional when it comes to overcoming injuries! They're NOT exceptional on that front. The Bulls and Heat have done the same thing! The same damn thing! And they both have better records than Boston.

Now, do you want we to say your Celtics are a special little snowflake? OK, fine, they're super duper über special with a cherry on top. Better?

xoxo

Can you give me that definition of "exceptional" again ? I want to add up the 91 points per game allowed and double check it again. That might not be all that great throughout a year.

I also want to see if 1-3 against the Celtics is deemed "exceptional" down their in South Beach.

Big Zo
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Sure it does. Since the Perkins trade, they haven't been the same offensively, while defensively they have been the same. Last I checked, Perkins didn't give them much offensively regardless.

Its not about Perkins since the trade, its about their core 4. When their playing and on their games, namely Rondo, they are damn tough to beat. I don't care who you are, the Lakers, the Bulls, Heat, or the Harlem Globetrotters.

Their size and mental advantage over the heat is now gone. Not to mention they are now 3 years older and can't constantly be expected to flip the switch come playoff time.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Can you give me that definition of "exceptional" again ? I want to add up the 91 points per game allowed and double check it again. That might not be all that great throughout a year.

I also want to see if 1-3 against the Celtics is deemed "exceptional" down their in South Beach.

We're obviously talking past each other and have very little chance of achieving any semblance of a rational conversation. I'm talking about overcoming injuries to play competitive basketball. You're talking about defensive efficiency. Two different things, but perhaps the two can be reconciled.

I conceded that perhaps the Celtics were "exceptional" at overcoming injuries when compared to most teams, but not when compared to the Bulls and Heat. Now you're throwing out defensive prowess as if it is definitively suggestive of the Celtics being exceptional at overcoming injuries.

OK. The Celtics allow the least points per game in the league, fine. But how does that statistic relate to their exceptional nature at overcoming injuries? If need be, I can throw out this little gem: the Heat are the ONLY team to be ranked in the top 5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency--and this comes after having dealt with injuries for the entire series (and still doing so). Does that somehow make them more exceptional than the Celtics at overcoming injuries? Which statistic is more telling?

The fact that the Heat, Bulls and Celtics have achieved very similar results while each having to overcome injuries shows that neither is more exceptional than the other two at overcoming injuries. All three have done a great job of dealing with the injury bug. None of those three stands out among the group.

uchiha
04-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Making a statement??? LOL

That makes it sound like that Celtics are laying down and handing the second seed to the Heat when a day earlier we grasped it away from them. Hilarious.. they aren't making a statement by resting their players.. They are just resting their players.

Gibby23
04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
We're obviously talking past each other and have very little chance of achieving any semblance of a rational conversation. I'm talking about overcoming injuries to play competitive basketball. You're talking about defensive efficiency. Two different things, but perhaps the two can be reconciled.

I conceded that perhaps the Celtics were "exceptional" at overcoming injuries when compared to most teams, but not when compared to the Bulls and Heat. Now you're throwing out defensive prowess as if it is definitively suggestive of the Celtics being exceptional at overcoming injuries.

OK. The Celtics allow the least points per game in the league, fine. But how does that statistic relate to their exceptional nature at overcoming injuries? If need be, I can throw out this little gem: the Heat are the ONLY team to be ranked in the top 5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency--and this comes after having dealt with injuries for the entire series (and still doing so). Does that somehow make them more exceptional than the Celtics at overcoming injuries? Which statistic is more telling?

Have you seen the clip where Paul Pierce hurts his Knee, gets taken off in a wheelchair, and then comes running back to save the day.

Gibby23
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Making a statement??? LOL

That makes it sound like that Celtics are laying down and handing the second seed to the Heat when a day earlier we grasped it away from them. Hilarious.. they aren't making a statement by resting their players.. They are just resting their players.

Are the Heat going to make a banner for the 2nd seed and hang it next to the 1 world championship banner, 7 divison titles banners, and the MJ #23 banner?

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Have you seen the clip where Paul Pierce hurts his Knee, gets taken off in a wheelchair, and then comes running back to save the day.

Oh, damn. That's right. I had forgotten about that. I hereby retract my revious statement.

Not only are the Celtics "exceptional" at overcoming injuries, they have a downright miraculous ability to heal in a hurry. That or they have some mad voodoo sh - going down in their locker room.

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Are the Heat going to make a banner for the 2nd seed and hang it next to the 1 world championship banner, 7 divison titles banners, and the MJ #23 banner?

Hey, bud, don't forget Marino. #13 is also up there. How dare you forget Dan the Man?!

Oh, and after this year it's 8 division titles. 8! How you like us now?

BSplaya2121
04-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Can't sleep on the Celtics, they have more championship experience than any team in the east. It doesn't matter if they haven't played the last 3 games or 30 games, if their main guys are healthy, they are lethal. They are built solely for the playoffs.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Their size and mental advantage over the heat is now gone. Not to mention they are now 3 years older and can't constantly be expected to flip the switch come playoff time.

How ? They beat the Heat without Perkins and still had the same size. They upgraded their bench with Krstic and Green to boot. If the core 4 play well, its light out in South Beach.

I can't use the 'old' excuse anymore. They tried that one last year, and then the C's showed up and made it to the 7th game of the NBA finals. That excuse doesn't work.

ne3xchamps
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I didn't think the c's had a shot at #1. after the bulls loss, doc should have not given the vets whole games off, but really reduced their minutes. It was virtually impossible the c's were going to catch the bulls. seeding doesn't always have a huge effect on the playoffs, but having healthy HOF'S do.

ne3xchamps
04-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Can't sleep on the Celtics, they have more championship experience than any team in the east. It doesn't matter if they haven't played the last 3 games or 30 games, if their main guys are healthy, they are lethal. They are built solely for the playoffs.

x2. it seems they get a little bored with the reg. season when it gets to march or april. they just want the playoffs to start. it happened last year too.

marlinsfan24
04-12-2011, 05:21 PM
We still beat you guys 3 out of 4 on the season....

You've yet to beat us when were healthy

Kudos :clap:

You guys have beaten us when we've been fully healthy? Didn't think so.

Kudos. :clap:

Heater4life
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
A statement? By resting your players for the playoffs? Ok.

Its pretty simple, Heat have the 2nd seed and Doc figured seeding is in Miami's control i rather rest my squad and go in healthy. Its not a statement. lol

Heater4life
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM

I agree.

marlinsfan24
04-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey, bud, don't forget Marino. #13 is also up there. How dare you forget Dan the Man?!

Oh, and after this year it's 8 division titles. 8! How you like us now?

Forgot #10 for Hardaway and 33 for Zo.

And no ones discounting the Celtics chances. I don't think there was any statement by Doc either. Just resting his players.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 05:25 PM

The fact that the Heat, Bulls and Celtics have achieved very similar results while each having to overcome injuries shows that neither is more exceptional than the other two at overcoming injuries. All three have done a great job of dealing with the injury bug. None of those three stands out among the group.

Were pretty much talking past eachother regardless. Probably for no good reason, but its PSD, where that probably is the norm. I was referring to your statement, which I took the wrong way I guess :

All in all, it doesn't matter come playoff time. I agree, all 3 have been exceptional overcoming the injuries that have presented themselves. Great records for the amount of bodies on the sidelines. I see the C's, Bulls, or the Heat all being viable options for Eastern Conference Champions. Any of those teams could be up there representing the East. I wouldn't sleep on any of them, especially the Celtics. Their the more experienced out of all of them and have been their before now twice.

Heater4life
04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
All in all, it doesn't matter come playoff time. I agree, all 3 have been exceptional overcoming the injuries that have presented themselves. Great records for the amount of bodies on the sidelines. I see the C's, Bulls, or the Heat all being viable options for Eastern Conference Champions. Any of those teams could be up there representing the East. I wouldn't sleep on any of them, especially the Celtics. Their the more experienced out of all of them and have been their before now twice.

I think anyone of those three coming out of the east can win it all. Its not like previous years where the west duels it out then ends up getting a finals cake walk. Its on this year.

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

J-Heyfever
04-12-2011, 05:35 PM
The only differences is we lost perk, nate and we were out our big shamrock.

I did my hw.

We sucked heading into the playoffs last year and came within 4 mins of a ring....

I see you giving backhanded compliments but it comes down to this:

The playoffs are a whole another season.

Let's see who steps up and performs....

That may be the only difference on paper but you are ignorant if youre going to tell me the celtics have been playing just as good lately as they were earlier in the year. And I mentioned that you sucked going into the playoffs last year and still almost one it all so I dont know what youre trying to prove there. I agree the play offs are a whole different animal and the celtics have allready shown they are more than capable of winning it. Im sorry if you thought that was a back handed compliment its simply the truth, if you think I care enough about some random celtics fan to give a back handed compliment you are sadly mistaken. If the celtics play as they have been recently I dont think they have a chance it will be miami or chicago; if they play how they were playing earlier this year I would pick them over miami setting up a very competative eastern conference finals between boston and chicago that simple.

bbd24
04-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I think anyone of those three coming out of the east can win it all. Its not like previous years where the west duels it out then ends up getting a finals cake walk. Its on this year.

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

I see the same thing. It should be fun to watch. Ratings will have to be through the roof. Hopefully it wakes the NBA up so we can watch some ball next year as well.

Teufelshunde4
04-12-2011, 05:39 PM

The last thing I would call the Knicks is tough... Dangerous 1st round team yes but given how the Knicks win games with offense only.. Only way the Knicks beat the Celtics is IF they dominate the boards and force a lot of turnovers. IF Boston rebounds well and doesnt turn the ball over and executes its offense Celtics in 5...

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Forgot #10 for Hardaway and 33 for Zo.

And no ones discounting the Celtics chances. I don't think there was any statement by Doc either. Just resting his players.

True, but those are actually legitimate banners. I doubt anyone would dispute that Timmy and Zo's numbers should be retired. The MJ and Marino ones show a great deal of respect for those players--and I'm definitely glad they're hanging from our rafters--but fans of other teams often interpret these two (as well as the division banners) as corny. I don't know, maybe they're just hating for the hell of it. It's not our fault our team's only been around since 1988 and not 1946-47 like the Lakers and Celtics. For an expansion team, the Heat have been pretty damn successful.

Gibby23
04-12-2011, 05:40 PM

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

Did you miss the last 7 years?

RCarlson85
04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
OK what ever, they knew they wasn't going to catch the heat after Sundays beat down.

That's what I think too. They figured the Heat wouldn't lose to the Hawks or Raptors so there was no point in playing there starters. I really don't think a couple extra days of rest in going to be the difference between them coming out of the East or not.

knicks4life33
04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
bring it celtics

gangis2169
04-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Lol arent you guys 1-3 against them? ****** get a win and all of a sudden they going platinum! Miami fans are the best. I cant wait to hear more bullsh*t from there mouths in the playoffs!

justinnum1
04-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Lol arent you guys 1-3 against them? ****** get a win and all of a sudden they going platinum! Miami fans are the best. I cant wait to hear more bullsh*t from there mouths in the playoffs!

thanks

gotoHcarolina52
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Miami fans are the best.

:rock: :clap: :hi5: :cheers: :nod: :bow: :love: :cheer: :win: :dance:

Hustlenomics
04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
funny thread. Can't wait till the playoffs

JordansBulls
04-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Going to be a great series.

magichatnumber9
04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
This series could be just as exciting as that Bulls series a couple of years back. OG'ing

Bulls_fan90
04-13-2011, 09:51 AM
If this was the case, why not rest them against the Heatles? Now that would have made a statement.

Greet
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Don't the Celtics play the Knicks? That's a blessig.

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 11:03 AM

bullsh*t? did the heat not win by 23? maybe my math is wrong. 100 to 77? 23 right? as far as i know thats not talking bullsh*t... its facts. never said the celtics sucked or anything. simply stated facts.

good try tho

marlinsfan24
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
If this was the case, why not rest them against the Heatles? Now that would have made a statement.

Exactly. They still did care about the number 2 seed when they were playing Miami.

MelkyNYY
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
******** excuse. But we knew this.