PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com's Article on DPOY

JasonJohnHorn
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/04/08/defensive-player-of-the-year-column/index.html

the article states that Howard is the runaway favorite, and then briefly discusses some other candidates.

My question is this: Where is Rondo in the conversation? I my opinion, while Howard is very much deserving of the award, Rondo has put up an amazing season on the defensive end and easily deserve the award as much as anybody in the league, Howard included.

Now i'm not saying I would argue with anybody who has Howard on the top of their list, but I would argue with anybody who DOESNT have Rondo at #2, or at the very least their top 5.

Rondo is my first pick, Howard is my number two, but it seems as though Rondo just isnt getting the love (and yes I know Rondo got man-handled by Rose the other night, but that is one game out of an entire season of great defence).

Thoughts?

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
How could Rondo win the award when he isn't even the most valuable defensive player on his team?

What?
04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
How could Rondo win the award when he isn't even the most valuable defensive player on his team?

This

KG is defiantly more important defensively and there are others more deserving he isn't even the most deserving pg imo CP3 is

Howard
KG
Chandler
CP3
Bogut
Wade
Lebron

I would pick all those players over him although the last 2 are debateble and maybe CP3 the others arn't

ManRam
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, KG means more to that defense than Rondo. The award might be a bit big-man favorable, but you'll never in a million years convince me that a PG means as much to his team defensively as the anchor in the paint. Howard's influence on the defensive end is such so much more significant and overarching. The fact that he leads 4 below-average defenders to a top 5 defense year in and year out is amazing...and it's even more amazing that his DWS are so far and away above any one else's in the league playing with those guys, and his defensive rating, again, leads the league.

No-brainer :shrug:

No discredit to Rondo, who I do think was the best defensive guard this season, but he just doesn't do as much on defense as Dwight...and he really probably ins't the best defender on his own team.

metsfanssince05
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire :p

ManRam
04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Glad to see Iggy and Grant getting props. They've both been amazing defensively this year - Iggy especially. I think Iggy has been the best defensive wing in the league this year. I wish 82games.com wasn't down so I could illustrate that a bit more.

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
This

KG is defiantly more important defensively and there are others more deserving he isn't even the most deserving pg imo CP3 is

Howard
KG
Chandler
CP3
Bogut
Wade
Lebron

I would pick all those players over him although the last 2 are debateble and maybe CP3 the others arn't

Andre Iguodala definitely deserves to be in there ahead of Chandler, LeBron, Wade, Bogut and CP3 his season. He's in all likeliness going to finish 3rd in DPOY voting.

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Glad to see Iggy and Grant getting props. They've both been amazing defensively this year - Iggy especially. I think Iggy has been the best defensive wing in the league this year. I wish 82games.com wasn't down so I could illustrate that a bit more.

Yeah that's really hurting me in the "most clutch" thread.

unleashthebeast
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
wade would definetely be up there if he gave 100% every night, for some reason though he sometimes grows lazy on d..... he can be a lock down defender though when he tries. also great at blocks and steals. but yeah howard should win this year

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
wade would definetely be up there if he gave 100% every night, for some reason though he sometimes grows lazy on d..... he can be a lock down defender though when he tries. also great at blocks and steals. but yeah howard should win this year

IMO Wade is the best individual crunch time defender in all of the NBA. Late in a close game when he gives that 100% he really amazes me with how well he plays on D.

SteveNash
04-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Yeah you should do that. And then after you're done with Igoudala/Grant you should post Dwight's 82games.com numbers and compare them to a guy like Andrew Bynum.

ManRam
04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
So you're saying Bynum is a better defender than Dwight?

SteveNash
04-12-2011, 12:02 AM
So you're saying Bynum is a better defender than Dwight?

I'm wondering what 82games.com says.

What?
04-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Andre Iguodala definitely deserves to be in there ahead of Chandler, LeBron, Wade, Bogut and CP3 his season. He's in all likeliness going to finish 3rd in DPOY voting.

:facepalm: my self completely forgot about iggy

iggypop123
04-12-2011, 12:15 AM
rondo is right where he belongs. nowhere near the top of this list

Jewelz0376
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
It's hard enough for a wing to win dpoy of the year, just because of the overall impact bigs have on D.... let alone a pg...Rondo's great on D, but no way I see him winning dpoy anytime soon

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Ronnie Brewer, Bulls: Schuhmann's stats make a compelling case for Brewer as the Bulls' most effective defensive player. Thibodeau, meanwhile, considers Luol Deng to be "by far our best individual and team defender."

very nice :clap: