PDA

View Full Version : Who is The Clutchest?

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Simple. Who is the clutchest player in the NBA?

My top 3 is

1. Melo
2. Kobe
3. Wade

Shmontaine
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/631952-top-5-clutch-players-in-the-nba

can't really argue with this list...

hopefully, drose shows some clutchness this postseason, he's been pretty damn good in the last 5 min. of games

bringinwood
04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I love how LBJ was just forgotten or intentially left off the list...

:laugh:

Evolution23
04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Hard to argue against Melo. Hes Ice Cold in the 3th quarter.

Niro
why is lbj not on the list

monta should be up there as well

imo for the last 2 minutes lebron

for the last shot kobe or anthony

godolphins
Kobe
Wade
Melo

Crackadalic
Since everyone wants to use stats as a argument Carmelo Anthony is statistically the most clutch player in the league.

Chacarron
04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Melo, Kobe, Wade in that order.

Kashmir13579
i voted Paul Pierce cause i think he's more clutch than Kobe or Wade and i didn't want to jinx 'Melo cause he's been hitting crazy game winners. Pierce is clutch...

bringinwood
Since everyone wants to use stats as a argument Carmelo Anthony is statistically the most clutch player in the league.

If Melo were anywhere near as clutch as he is praised to be, he would have propelled them out of were they started and got them to, at least, a 5 seed...

BTW, when considering clutch, you have to consider clutch defenders as well...

Anthony is horrible defensively whether it be in the 1st quarter or the last 10 seconds of the 4th...

Chi City23
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Kobe
Wade
Melo

This is my list as well in no particular order

Crackadalic
04-11-2011, 05:06 PM
If Melo were anywhere near as clutch as he is praised to be, he would have propelled them out of were they started and got them to, at least, a 5 seed...

Anthony is horrible defensively whether it be in the 1st quarter or the last 10 seconds of the 4th...

Well he did block granger shot at the end the game to seal the game so.......

Plus if you want to use the argument as defense being clutch then of coarse. gotta put guys like KG and Dwight up there but if were talking about shooting a game winning shot at a HIGH % then yea Melo is your man. Don't get me wrong i still want Kobe taking that shot at the end of games but he historically shoots a low% from there.

Q_bully
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Since 2003 Carmelo has 16 Game winning shots with-in the last 10 seconds of the game Kobe is second with 15. So Carmelo and Kobe is the only real debate

Gators123
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Kobe
Melo
Wade

bringinwood
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
How did I know this poll wouldn't be about who is really clutch ???

I knew it would be about some guy who hit a few buzzer beaters this past week...

Melo is no where near the clutchest player in the league...

He isn't the clutchest offensive or defensive player and is no where near the best mix of both....

The poll is completely useless anymore as people vote for who they saw on ESPN last night...

Crackadalic
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM

I knew it would be about some guy who hit a few buzzer beaters this past week...

He isn't the clutchest offensive or defensive player and is no where near the best mix of both....

The poll is completely useless anymore as people vote for who they saw on ESPN last night...

So define to me what being clutch is so i can have a better understanding. Please use stats and intangibles in your argument. Also show me who is clutch on both the offensive end and defensive end.

Fireworld
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
All the above but my top three from that list:

1-Kobe
2-Ginobli
3-Peirce

Edit: Because these top three are clutch in the PLAYOFFS!

rickshaw
Since 2003 Carmelo has 16 Game winning shots with-in the last 10 seconds of the game Kobe is second with 15. So Carmelo and Kobe is the only real debate

so misses dont matter, just makes?

xbrackattackx

hi hater :)

danniboi168

lol okay -_-

Evolution23
04-11-2011, 05:13 PM

no then who is?

Hawkeye15
someone clearly define what "clutch" means. Good luck...

championships
I don't see why Bron should be on the list to be honest. Everytime he has had the chance to win the game, He blew it. That job should go to Wade.

Kashmir13579
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM

what do you mean? that list was barebones and one persons opinion with little to no factual arguments for his reasoning. there are much better ways of defining who is clutch than that article (if you could call that an article)

this is much better,

http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

it shows that 'Melo is undoubtably the best closer during the regular season. Kobe is not even close to be honest.

in the Playoffs, since 03, Kobe hasn't separated himself from Dirk or Lebron. hell, James even got an assist on a game winning play. has Kobe ever?

since 03, out of 57 potential regular season game winners Kobe has gotten 1 assist.

xbrackattackx
04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
So define to me what being clutch is so i can have a better understanding. Please use stats and intangibles in your argument. Also show me who is clutch on both the offensive end and defensive end.

In before he says Lebron.

Crackadalic
04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
someone clearly define what "clutch" means. Good luck...

Thats exactly it. People have different takes on whats clutch. Weather its on the offensive end and hitting a game winning shot or a game winning block. Even a game winning assist or rebound can be considered clutch

rickshaw
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
this year,

rose
lebron
kobe
dirk
melo

joepfarley
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
IMO LBJ is everything but clutch. Kobe Melo Rose with Wade and Ginobli tied for 4th

allSUAVE
NO disrepect to other teams but if it's not Kobe or Melo ,dont mention them

Hawkeye15
Thats exactly it. People have different takes on whats clutch. Weather its on the offensive and hitting a game winning shot of a game winning block. Even a game winning assist or rebound can be considered clutch

which is why there is no "most clutch" player in the NBA.

NYtilIdie
04-11-2011, 05:19 PM

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ziov4k.jpg

Proof right there and not only did he not hit the game winner, he also had a GW block last night against Granger.

Just a flat out horrible time to say something like that.

Kashmir13579
04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
KOBE

In 1997, he famously air-balled two shots that could have beat the Jazz; instead, the Jazz won the series. In 1999, he whiffed on a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have tied Game 2 against the Spurs. In Game 4 against the Kings in 2002, he missed a 2-pointer that would have tied the game (before the ball was tipped out to Robert Horry for the winning 3). In Game 7 of that same series, Bryant missed a tip that would have won the game in regulation. In Game 3 against the Timberwolves in 2003, he missed two key shots in the last seconds of overtime, and the Lakers lost.

I'll spare you the entire list, but it's long. In the final 24 seconds of playoff games, Bryant has racked up almost as many air balls as makes, making just below 30 percent of game-tying or go-ahead shots. He hasn't hit such a shot in a playoff game, in fact, since 2008

You'd expect Los Angeles to also have one of the league's best offenses in crunch time, right? Especially with the ball in the hands of the player most suited to those moments.

That's not what happens, though. In the final 24 seconds of close games the Lakers offense regresses horribly, managing just 82 points per 100 possessions. And it's not a simple case of every team having a hard time scoring in crunch time. Over Bryant's career, 11 teams have had better crunch-time offenses, led by the Hornets with a shocking 107 points per 100 possessions in crunch time, a huge credit to Chris Paul.

The Lakers are not among the league leaders in crunch-time offense -- instead, they're just about average, scoring 82.35 points per 100 possessions in a league that averages 80.03. They are, however, among the league leaders in how much worse their offense declines in crunch time.

Bryant makes crunch-time defense easy for opponents by shooting just about every time he touches the ball (over a five-year period, he mustered 56 clutch shots, to go with one assist).

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

allSUAVE
04-11-2011, 05:22 PM
just youtube "CARMELO ANTHONY GAME WINNER"

OR ''KOBE GAME WINNER''

smith&wesson
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
most clutch is melo.
which is why i have him as a top 1-8 player overall.

Sync
04-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Kobe

/thread

Hustlenomics
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
It's Melo but I voted Pierce

Sync
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
this year,

rose
lebron
kobe
dirk
melo

Dude are you stupid???

He missed every ****ing game winning shot this year.

Lmao u on crack?

airronijordan
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Kobe and Melo are the most clutch players in the league....and those who say Melo isn't clutch are simply ignorant

Fireworld
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Ok, mello too.

allSUAVE
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Dude are you stupid???

Lmao u on crack?

its the hater effect man! psd if full of it. :eyebrow:

bringinwood
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't think anyone said that Melo isn't clutch...

I think what they and myself said is that he isn't the clutchest player in the league and rightfully so...

Any player on a team that is that bad defensively, is currently on a 6th seeded team, left a team that is doing better than before he left, and has never won a championship doesn't deserve consideration for being the clutchest player in the league...

A few game winning shots during the regular season doesn't dispel some of the accolades of this generations best...

Sync
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
It's Melo and Kobe

but I give the edge to Kobe just because he has had some many more important game winners no disrespect and he has had a lot of tying field goals as well but it's very simple.

it's

Melo and Kobe.

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
EL Brono Jaime

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I love how LBJ was just forgotten or intentially left off the list...

:laugh:

i tried to only take the clutchest player off each team and anyways bron isnt that clutch of a dude.

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM

umm u must have missed last nights game. melo had a game winning shot and than the game winning defense and block

bringinwood
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
i tried to only take the clutchest player off each team and anyways bron isnt that clutch of a dude.

Somehow I think that if the hate was taken off the table, people would realize that a player who has singlehandedly taken a team to the NBA finals would be considered " clutch "...

I guess not though...

But, by all means, put Melo who had Billups, Nene, and Martin for years while never winning a championship up there among the best...

It's almost laughable at this point to me...

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Carmelo is the bestest. All you haters --> :moon:

Slimsim
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
pierce is cold blooded

bringinwood
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM
umm u must have missed last nights game. melo had a game winning shot and than the game winning defense and block

I'm going to guess you're a NY Knick fan...

Your opinion is about as useless as **** in my gastank...

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Somehow I think that if the hate was taken off the table, people would realize that a player who has singlehandedly taken a team to the NBA finals would be considered " clutch "...

I guess not though...

But, by all means, put Melo who had Billups, Nene, and Martin for years while never winning a championship up there among the best...

honestly im talking about at the end of games. i can only remember that 1 game winner for Lebron. i can also remember him going off gainst the pistons once. thats about it and i also remember him failing like 6times in a row this year. no hate. hes sa great player just not a very clutch guy. gets alittle nervous maybe

flips333
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Mello may be clutch in the last 30 seconds... but he wouldn't need to be if he didn't dog it for half the game and play some defense.

This season I'll go with Rose, but all in all of the people on that list I would go with Kobe. Even though I hate him.

macc
04-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Question to the OP.

Define "clutch"

Are we talking last shot of the game?

Last 30 sec of a game?

Last 2 min of a game?

4th quarter of a game?

I could be wrong but doesn't Lebron James have the most game winning shots since 2005?

I ask because there are different players that I would want to take the last shot, but that wouldn't make them the most clutch the entire 4th quarter.

So what type of "clutch" situation are we picking our guy from?

Crackadalic
04-11-2011, 06:05 PM

I guess not though...

Did you see the teams melo had to face all those years? even before billups its harder to go through the western conference.

Im assuming your talking about lebron's one trip to the nba finals. He swept a wizards team that had a injured Butler and Arenas, a inconsistent nets team and he played well against the Pistons

If anything Iverson run through the finals was more impressive because of the competition he face plus he did it with a even worse cast of players.

Khalifa21
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Last shot of the game it's Melo without a shadow of doubt...

The guy is 19-39 (48.7%) on FG's when his team is either down 2, down 1 or tied. No one in the league is even close to that. In terms of makes and percentage, nobody even sniffs at how clutch Melo is.

Last 3 minutes of a game, gimme LeBron.

SteveNash
04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Kobe

hopefully, drose shows some clutchness this postseason, he's been pretty damn good in the last 5 min. of games

You can easily argue Ginobili, Durant, and Allen.

diggerbsb
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
denver fan here and even my resentment towards melo can't stop me from saying he is one of the premiere last second shot takers in the league. will he win you a game by himself? only if you're down one and have ten seconds left. if you need someone to make a 6 minute run to win it its obviously kobe.

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Question to the OP.

Define "clutch"

Are we talking last shot of the game?

Last 30 sec of a game?

Last 2 min of a game?

4th quarter of a game?

I could be wrong but doesn't Lebron James have the most game winning shots since 2005?

I ask because there are different players that I would want to take the last shot, but that wouldn't make them the most clutch the entire 4th quarter.

So what type of "clutch" situation are we picking our guy from?

last shot of the game

sintaks12
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I think you guys like to argue for the sake of arguing, lol. I think it's pretty safe to assume that "clutch" implies last second heroics, hence the phrase "coming through in the clutch."

Uh, no. If said person carries their team to, let's say, the ECF or finals and gags every time he's put in a position to win the game... is he still "clutch?" Hardly. Ask Rory McIlroy about clutch. He led the Masters almost wire to wire until he felt the field creeping up and then it was choke time. Sounds familiar, right? *Cough* Lebron *Cough*

Robert Horry didn't carry any team anywhere. Think he's clutch?

haggis
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Carmelo is the bestest. All you haters --> :moon:

:laugh2:

this^

haterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

seriously though. WTF is clutchest? someone please define this....

justinnum1
04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
is clutchest putting your team on your back and winning 4 in a row avg 35ppg and finals mvp? if so then wade.

DerekRE_3
One person who is clutch that nobody has mentioned and probably doesn't think of is Marcus Thornton. At least he has been pretty much every time the Kings have needed a basket during the crunch time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3JjIqEqPcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEt73HAK8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3TjJXfoqLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b2Yh7mcZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icc-fmh43AA

15carlos21
no love for chauncey on here

1. Pierce
2. Melo
3. Kobe
4. Billups
5. Wade

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM

1. Pierce
2. Melo
3. Kobe
4. Billups
5. Wade

Damn, with two of the top 5 clutchest players in the whole wide world, the Knicks are going to be hard to beat. Knicks going all the way, baby!!!! ALL. THE. WAY!

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
is clutchest putting your team on your back and winning 4 in a row avg 35ppg and finals mvp? if so then wade.

yea wade is clutch. thats right there is why hes better than Lebron. Bron usually fails with the game on the line thats why its best to put the ball in wades hands

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 06:41 PM

1. Pierce
2. Melo
3. Kobe
4. Billups
5. Wade

i wanted to but tried to only use 1 player per team. Bigshot is def up there tho. thats y i think the knicks can be really scary in the playoffs in close games especially.

justinnum1
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
yea wade is clutch. thats right there is why hes better than Lebron. Bron usually fails with the game on the line thats why its best to put the ball in wades hands

yep, lbj will drop the tripple dub, and wade will close if we need him to. sounds like a good combo for the playoffs :D

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
yep, lbj will drop the tripple dub, and wade will close if we need him to. sounds like a good combo for the playoffs :D

well c what happens...

allSUAVE
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
KOBE Melo or pierce'' only real debatable answers ,other answers i wont waste time.

and rose too he's 4th quarter clutch

NYsFinest
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
not only has melo made the most game winners than anybody since 03, he also has the highest shooting percentage in those situations out of all the players that take the last shot on a consistent basis. To say hr hasn't made this team better is BS as well, when they were losing they had lost chauncey to injury and he struggled A LOT the first few weeks back... now the team has some chemistry and has won 7 in a row and melo has been the EC player of the week the past two weeks.

the knicks team pre-trade was actually barely treading water and had a horrible jan/feb record and would probably be under .500 at this point. Before we say the Nuggets got significantly better let's see how they do in a 7 game series with 15 role players when rotations shorten and star players are a necessity.

jp611
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM

1. Pierce
2. Melo
3. Kobe
4. Billups
5. Wade

I read something about Chauncey the other day that said he was like 2/35 in the last 3 years in game tying or winning shots

bmd1101
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Last night on NBAtv they showed Melo w/ Kobe behind him as having the most game winning shots among active players, but what I wanna know is how many for each in the playoffs.

sargon21
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
this year

last shot: melo

last 3 minutes: drose

Kashmir13579
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
this year

last shot: melo

last 3 minutes: drose

do you have stats to back that up?

theheatles
04-11-2011, 07:05 PM
melo?

Prisoners. Of. Moment. :mad:

WrongIslander
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM

How many did MJ miss? Misses don't matter as long as you are making as well, no one can hit them all. Part of being clutch is being able to even get a shot off under the kind of D that fronts you up in the final seconds.

Melo was always clutch and the Nuggets, he signs for NY, continues to make shots but now he's not clutch.

The PSD Knicks curse strikes again!

Furymaker
04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
do you have stats to back that up?
82games.com says Kobe and Rose are the most clutch in last 5mins of game ... You can check it if you want . Last shot Melo ...
btw. does anyone knows how much buzzer beaters Lowry has ?

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
82games.com says Kobe and Rose are the most clutch in last 5mins of game ... You can check it if you want . Last shot Melo ...

Based on this season alone, I think M. Williams has been the most clutch player. 45.5 points (44% from 3), 11.4 assists, 5.7 rebounds, and only 1.9 turnovers per 48 minutes of clutch time. And it's a perfect example of why clutch stats are overrated. Very small sample sizes.

Furymaker
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
did he won the game ? All those Bulls comebacks are because of Rose offense and team defense , whole season he's been the best closer in league ... He didn't have much chances for game winning shots ...

coryd238
04-11-2011, 07:40 PM

1. Pierce
2. Melo
3. Kobe
4. Billups
5. Wade

Chaunceys living off reputation now.

melo?

Prisoners. Of. Moment. :mad:

Moment? You mean the last 7 years, right?

And Melo can leave a 4th quarter comeback, last year against the Jazz (in the playoffs) he comes in during the 4th and hits like three 3's in a row to get us back in the game. Unfortunately, we lost :(

_KB24_
04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Melo has been unreal this year. Kobe hasn't had the best year down the stretch. He just doesn't have that "bounce" in his step and has gotten off some really flat and bad shots down the stretch. I'd give Melo the edge this year. Lets see if Mamba comes to life this post-season.

Ty Fast
04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
all time mj
right now kobe

NYKnicksSon
04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
melo and kobe no brainer.http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/hatnlvr/Sig-Resized1.jpg

TylerSL
04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
the homerism in me wants to say Wade, but its Kobe (not by alot tho like everybody tries to say). IMO it goes like this

1.Kobe
2.Wade

3.Melo

NYKnicksSon
04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
even though lebrons been receiving the blame for the heat failing late in games,wade has also failed late in game as well this year if the "heat" fans wanna go by statistics .http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/hatnlvr/Sig-Resized1.jpg

Lake_Show2416
04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Kobe, next question...

nickdymez
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Your a dumb hater

tredigs
04-11-2011, 08:08 PM

No, it shows a list - which on default mode is sorted by "points per game" if the 5 minutes was stretched to a full 48 - where Kobe then Rose average slightly more points than the next 5. Lebron for example is 3rd in points (46.4 to Rose's 47.1), but has a FG% of 45% to Rose's 39%, with the rest of their clutch numbers balancing out fairly evenly this year (Rose with a higher assist average, but more turnovers, the rest relatively equal).

Accounting for all the other stats/factors involved is up to you to do yourself. I.e, interpreting the stats (that's the 2nd part of stats that most people don't like to think about).

That said, Rose has finished games off this year - he's been clutch. Not #1, but he's been good.

Overall, Melo/Lebron/Kobe/Wade/Nowitzki/Ginobili are generally the most clutch players in my opinion.

The people discounting the love for Melo as "living in the moment" are being foolish. Melo has always been crazy clutch. By far the best part of his game.

KnicksR4Real
04-11-2011, 08:10 PM

So can you explain the game winning block with 3 seconds last night? Man, do your research before you bash. You look like an ignorant idiot.:facepalm:

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
are ppl judging melo clutchness off last nights game???

dnt get me wrong he has hit some pretty big shots, but so has alot of nba players.

If u put melo as the most clutchest then i believe fisher has a shot at that spot in that case, and fisher is not top 5

Pierce is probably number 2 to kobe,

I believe its:
Kobe
pierce
melo
dirk
durant

and i was only using fisher as a example and can be top 10 imo

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Based on this season alone, I think M. Williams has been the most clutch player. 45.5 points (44% from 3), 11.4 assists, 5.7 rebounds, and only 1.9 turnovers per 48 minutes of clutch time. And it's a perfect example of why clutch stats are overrated. Very small sample sizes.

This is a classic example of when someone interprets stats it a total and complete false manner.

RioTMakeR20
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Guys we need to remember "clutch" isn't just about who scores the best in late game scenarios. A very important part of clutch is late game D. If we specify best clutch scorer its Carmelo hands down, but Dwight's D late in games cannot be overlooked.

I am in no way saying Dwight is the most clutch player overall I also think that distinction goes to Carmelo but lets not overlook Defense.

Bookey
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
No Lebron???? :laugh:, and some people say that he's the best in the league :facepalm:.

Anyway my top 5
1. Kobe - Gets it done it playoffs where it matters most,second most clutch player in history, other than MJ of course.

2. D.Wade - Single handedly beat the Dallas Mavericks IMO (Thats why I say he's better than Lebron.)

3. Paul Pierce & Ray Allen tie- Have came up big for Boston time and time again in the postseason

3. Melo - Maybe above D.Wade if he gets it done in the playoffs

5. D.Rose - Lets see if he can get it done in the playoffs.

No Dirk because he always chokes, D.Howard & Lebron are liabilities & they call them selves superstars.:facepalm:

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
No Lebron???? :laugh:, and some people say that he's the best in the league :facepalm:.

Anyway my top 5
1. Kobe - Gets it done it playoffs where it matters most,second most clutch player in history, other than MJ of course.

2. D.Wade - Single handedly beat the Dallas Mavericks IMO (Thats why I say he's better than Lebron.)

3. Paul Pierce & Ray Allen tie- Have came up big for Boston time and time again in the postseason

3. Melo - Maybe above D.Wade if he gets it done in the playoffs

5. D.Rose - Lets see if he can get it done in the playoffs.

No Dirk because he always chokes, D.Howard & Lebron are liabilities & they call them selves superstars.:facepalm:

Could you please explain the last sentence because quite frankly I don't understand anything you said there since it is all untrue if you ask me.

Sox Appeal
04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
It depends. For one shot? Carmelo. If there's a few minutes left in a close game, it has to be LBJ, again.

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

sportscrazed
04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Carmelo Anthony, but I would happily take Pierce or Kobe for a buzzer beater as well

nyanks79
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
7 pages and not 1 mention of CP3.

Sox Appeal
04-11-2011, 08:47 PM
7 pages and not 1 mention of CP3.

The Hornets have the best offensive efficiency rating inside of 24 seconds, since CP3 came into the league. If you need someone to create an open look, he's the guy. If you want someone to take the shot, it's probably Melo.

goose15
04-11-2011, 08:57 PM
easy.. Carmelo Anthony

Kobe
Pierce
Wade

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
are ppl really putting melo as the most clutch!? wow

U know whats funny, someone posted a similar thread few weeks back, and no almost no one said anything remotely close to "easy..Melo"

here we are today and melo hits about 3 clutch shots and hes a run away answer? lol man i like melo and imo hes top 6 in the nba but hes more clutch then kobe, pierce, and allen, and fisher???(yeah i said it! fisher!)

i dont get it psd fans, someone PLZ explain PLZ PLZ PLZ

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
This is a classic example of when someone interprets stats it a total and complete false manner.

I'm simply trying to give an example of why clutch stats suck. Based off of those stats everyone is using, do you really see anyone who has better overall numbers than Williams? I'm just kind of glancing down the list and don't see anyone better.

Clutch stats have about as much data as a 3-5 full games. Would you award someone the MVP based on 5 games? How far do you have to go before you get a large enough sample size to start to make accurate comparisons. You want 40 games (half a season)? You might need 8 years of clutch data. And its often times not fair to say player A is more clutch than player B now because he has been for the past 8 years.

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM

U know whats funny, someone posted a similar thread few weeks back, and no almost no one said anything remotely close to "easy..Melo"

here we are today and melo hits about 3 clutch shots and hes a run away answer? lol man i like melo and imo hes top 6 in the nba but hes more clutch then kobe, pierce, and allen, and fisher???(yeah i said it! fisher!)

If you even paid attention to anything concerning that sort of thread on fb you'd know that the VAST MAJORITY of posters agree that Melo is the most clutch player in the NBA.

Please please please please please find that thread because for the last 3+ seasons Carmelo Anthony has been the best player with the game on the line in the entire NBA. Want facts?

Do me a favor, Google game winning shots and see what results you get.

Melo has been widely regarded as the most clutch player in the game for quite some time there is nothing new here.

nyanks79
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Whats so complicated about it? Hes got the highest percentage Trailing by one or two points, or tied, in the final 24 seconds of regular-season and playoff games since 1996-97, with a minimum of 30 shots.

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm simply trying to give an example of why clutch stats suck. Based off of those stats everyone is using, do you really see anyone who has better overall numbers than Williams? I'm just kind of glancing down the list and don't see anyone better.

Clutch stats have about as much data as a 3-5 full games. Would you award someone the MVP based on 5 games? How far do you have to go before you get a large enough sample size to start to make accurate comparisons. You want 40 games (half a season)? You might need 8 years of clutch data. And its often times not fair to say player A is more clutch than player B now because he has been for the past 8 years.

Those stats were a sample size of 12 games where Williams Cavs had an instance where they found themselves in a close game late. Its an extremely small sample size. Being the primary offensive threat on a bad team could lead to such.

If you don't understand the numbers you'd have players like Williams in your top 5 but if you do you'd know that those numbers are telling the entire story and its way to few to use to make such a claim.

Iggz53
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I would rather have Rose in the last 3 minutes of a close game than any other player. I honestly don't remember the last time Rose disappointed in that situation.

1. Rose
2. Pierce
3. Kobe

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Those stats were a sample size of 12 games where Williams Cavs had an instance where they found themselves in a close game late. Its an extremely small sample size. Being the primary offensive threat on a bad team could lead to such.

If you don't understand the numbers you'd have players like Williams in your top 5 but if you do you'd know that those numbers are telling the entire story and its way to few to use to make such a claim.

Yes, thats what I'm saying. Williams 51 minutes is too small a sample size. Just like Anthony's 77 minutes is too small of a sample size. Or Lebron's 129. They are all too small to draw conclusions.

In the clutch, I want the best player. Period. This year it's been Rose. Last year it was Lebron. I don't really care what any clutch stats say. I care what overall stats say.

envymamba24
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
OH IS THIS JEOPARDY?!?!

my answer: who is..the man with five rings, 2 finals mvp's, hits more shots at the buzzer than a kid at a carnival, and is attempting a 3-peat.

...but thats just me.

benzni
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
amen to a thread where Bron is forgotten :)

Idontcare
04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
All-Time-1.jordan 1a.kobe(i wouldnt mind kobe taking it over jordan though) 3.west 4.bird

who i want taking the last shot currently Kobe Bryant no doubt
who has been the most cutch this year? carmelo
i would still take kobe though so

kobe,melo,pierce in that order

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Yes, thats what I'm saying. Williams 51 minutes is too small a sample size. Just like Anthony's 77 minutes is too small of a sample size. Or Lebron's 129. They are all too small to draw conclusions.

In the clutch, I want the best player. Period. This year it's been Rose. Last year it was Lebron. I don't really care what any clutch stats say. I care what overall stats say.

Overall stats say Derrick Rose is the best player this season?

MiamiWadeCounty
04-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Depending on your definition of clutch...

Last 5 Minutes: LBJ
Last Minute: Wade
Last 5 Seconds: Kobe, easily

KingPosey
04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Kobe has the torch for career "clutchest' for active players right now. But ****, does Melo miss EVER when it comes to game winners? he hit another one the other night.

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Overall stats say Derrick Rose is the best player this season?

There is a reason Rose has already locked up the MVP. It's not JUST stats, but stats play a significant role.

Baller1
04-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Jameer Nelson.

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
There is a reason Rose has already locked up the MVP. It's not JUST stats, but stats play a significant role.

That doesn't answer my question but I don't think Rose's stats play a significant role because in all honesty if that were the case Dwight would have the MVP locked up and not Rose. Rose would finish around 3rd or lower if stats played a significant role in all honesty. His leadership and role in his team winning so many games is the reason why he is going to be the league MVP. His stats have little to do with it.

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM
If you even paid attention to anything concerning that sort of thread on fb you'd know that the VAST MAJORITY of posters agree that Melo is the most clutch player in the NBA.

Please please please please please find that thread because for the last 3+ seasons Carmelo Anthony has been the best player with the game on the line in the entire NBA. Want facts?

Do me a favor, Google game winning shots and see what results you get.

Melo has been widely regarded as the most clutch player in the game for quite some time there is nothing new here.

im not saying hes not clutch but the most clutch? look, at this point stats do not matter, for example kobe is the second greatest sg ever with below average field goal percentage. rite?

but you telling me that with 3 seconds on the clock, melo is better than kobe, pierce, allen, dirk, wade, billups, fisher? thats what u are saying?

and with 5 seconds left your putting melo on the best player on the opposing team bcuz of his defense?

cmon man i dnt get it

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
That doesn't answer my question but I don't think Rose's stats play a significant role because in all honesty if that were the case Dwight would have the MVP locked up and not Rose. Rose would finish around 3rd or lower if stats played a significant role in all honesty. His leadership and role in his team winning so many games is the reason why he is going to be the league MVP. His stats have little to do with it.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is or even what your question is. If you are asking if I would say Rose is the best player based 100% on stats with no other factors, then no, I wouldn't. But I don't see the relevance in that question because we both know a lot more than stats matter.

And by significant, I don't mean they have to be the most important factor by any means. They most certainly do play a significant role and its easy to make a case for Rose as MVP while using stats as a significant part of the argument. But I'm not going to do that here, this isn't an MVP thread (and more importantly, I don't feel like writing an entire article).

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 09:59 PM
4th quarter- Amare Stoudemire
Last 2min- Kobe Bryant
Last Shot-Melo

IMO

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
im not saying hes not clutch but the most clutch? look, at this point stats do not matter, for example kobe is the second greatest sg ever with below average field goal percentage. rite?

but you telling me that with 3 seconds on the clock, melo is better than kobe, pierce, allen, dirk, wade, billups, fisher? thats what u are saying?

and with 5 seconds left your putting melo on the best player on the opposing team bcuz of his defense?

cmon man i dnt get it

Did you google what I asked you to?

The link I posted isn't working currently because the site is down but when you get a chance check it out. It is not what the STATS say it what the FACTS say bro.

Tell me if Kobe attempts 40 game winning shots and hit 16 while Melo attempts 30 and his 15 doesn't that tell you who is better with the game on the line?

Tell me this do you watch every game and see every last minute shot? So how would you really know how many makes/misses there really are. For every 2 late game 3s we've seen Chauncey hit he's missed 4 others. No one is going to see and know every single game winning attempt. So in the absence of such knowledge we look to the numbers and the facts. Those facts state that Carmelo has been the best.

Khalifa21
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I can't see the argument for Kobe over Melo for the last shot... Really, why?

Kobe is hugely inefficient when it comes to that last shot converting on something like 31% of them whereas Melo leads the entire league (by a considerable distant) at about 47%.

Kobe has more "buzzer beaters" but Melo has more "game winners" in recent times.

mjqusoldier
04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I can't see the argument for Kobe over Melo for the last shot... Really, why?

Kobe is hugely inefficient when it comes to that last shot converting on something like 31% of them whereas Melo leads the entire league (by a considerable distant) at about 47%.

Kobe has more "buzzer beaters" but Melo has more "game winners" in recent times.

wow didnt notice Melo was that far ahead of everyone

NYK4L
04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Melo..Melo.Melo.....case closed.

Idontcare
04-11-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWXvi8waXyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKDyV404HXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvSx5BqZnAE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNC3W-Dlqk&feature=related

there are many more but that should just about sum up who the most clutch is... kobe #1

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Did you google what I asked you to?

The link I posted isn't working currently because the site is down but when you get a chance check it out. It is not what the STATS say it what the FACTS say bro.

Tell me if Kobe attempts 40 game winning shots and hit 16 while Melo attempts 30 and his 15 doesn't that tell you who is better with the game on the line?

Tell me this do you watch every game and see every last minute shot? So how would you really know how many makes/misses there really are. For every 2 late game 3s we've seen Chauncey hit he's missed 4 others. No one is going to see and know every single game winning attempt. So in the absence of such knowledge we look to the numbers and the facts. Those facts state that Carmelo has been the best.

yeah i click on it and the site was down.

and no, i havent seen every second of every game of his, but ive seen most of them, ive seen him hit alot of clutch shots too, but his hype is coming off his latest performances. period.

how can rose be considered more clutch then such names like dirk? or many others? forget numbers man i want someone on my team who has proven they can score no matter who is defending them

and with being clutch u have to consider one on one defense.

hes up there but not number 1. i dnt fear him like i fear the pierce's, and the dirk's, not even close imo.

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWXvi8waXyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKDyV404HXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvSx5BqZnAE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNC3W-Dlqk&feature=related

there are many more but that should just about sum up who the most clutch is... kobe #1

This^^^^^!!

enough said sheeeesh!

meloman1592
04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Melo...no question
kobe is a close # 2
wade is decent
dirk anyone?????
Lebron????? umm NO
pierce and allen are pretty clutch too

MrfadeawayJB
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Mike James

thread/

Idontcare
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
this is for the heat fans who say kobe didnt deserve 1st team all defense the last couple of years now this year it should be wade on the 1st tam with kobe on the 2nd or 3rd but still kobe was a way bette defender back in the day(even last year it was arguable)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBu28UwDzps&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYia5l3Oy9U&feature=related

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
yeah i click on it and the site was down.

and no, i havent seen every second of every game of his, but ive seen most of them, ive seen him hit alot of clutch shots too, but his hype is coming off his latest performances. period.

how can rose be considered more clutch then such names like dirk? or many others? forget numbers man i want someone on my team who has proven they can score no matter who is defending them

and with being clutch u have to consider one on one defense.

hes up there but not number 1. i dnt fear him like i fear the pierce's, and the dirk's, not even close imo.

I wasn't talking about Kobe's games bro. I am talking about every single player's games. Not just one player. I highly doubt you've seen the end of most close games this season, or last.

I will end my argument on this.

What equates a better clutch shooter?

Making 30 out of 80 or making 24 out of 50 game winning shots?

Idontcare
04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Melo...no question
kobe is a close # 2
wade is decent
dirk anyone?????
Lebron????? umm NO
pierce and allen are pretty clutch too

says a melo fan look this year melo has been one of the most clutch if not the most clutch but you still gotta go with kobe no matter what the percentages say hes a winner a champion and he also gets it done in the playoffs!

NYSwagga
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/hatnlvr/Sig-Resized1.jpg

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 11:11 PM
This^^^^^!!

enough said sheeeesh!

Not really.

Not only has Kobe made a great deal he has also missed a far greater deal of late game shots.

Over his entire career, including both the regular season and playoffs, Bryant has made just 36 of 115 of clutch shots, or 31.3%. Thatís just slightly above the league average of 29.7%. Among players who have taken a minimum of 30 such shots, he ranks 25th. The top five: Carmelo Anthony (21-of-44, 47.7%), Chris Paul (14-of-31, 45.2%), Shawn Marion (12-of-30, 40%), Brandon Roy (12-of-30, 40%) and Hedo Turkoglu (12-of-30, 40%).

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-01-28/research-shows-kobe-not-as-clutch-as-perceived

With the game on the line

Trailing by one or two points, or tied, in the final 24 seconds of regular-season and playoff games since 1996-97, with a minimum of 30 shots. From Alok Pattani of ESPN Stats & Information.
Player FG FGA FG%
Carmelo Anthony 21 44 47.7
Chris Paul 14 31 45.2
Shawn Marion 12 30 40
Brandon Roy 12 30 40
Hedo Turkoglu 12 30 40
Rashard Lewis 18 46 39.1
Glenn Robinson 14 36 38.9
Deron Williams 14 36 38.9
Mike Bibby 15 39 38.5
Dirk Nowitzki 25 65 38.5
Jalen Rose 12 32 37.5
Tim Duncan 23 62 37.1
Eddie Jones 13 36 36.1
Karl Malone 11 31 35.5
Ben Gordon 17 49 34.7
Chris Webber 18 52 34.6
Raymond Felton 12 36 33.3
LeBron James 23 69 33.3
Ray Allen 23 70 32.9
Gilbert Arenas 13 40 32.5
Vince Carter 31 96 32.3
Steve Francis 14 44 31.8
Damon Stoudamire12 38 31.6
Nick Van Exel 16 51 31.4
Kobe Bryant 36 115 31.3
Jason Terry 14 45 31.1
Allen Iverson 21 68 30.9
Kevin Garnett 22 72 30.6
Ron Artest 9 30 30
Allan Houston 12 41 29.3
Entire league 2038 6861 29.7

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

Now don't get me wrong I still think Kobe is the 2nd best player in the crunch time in the entire NBA but its really hard to go against the facts.

Oh and one more thing, this season Melo has hit 3 game winners Kobe, Wade and LeBron 0 combined. Food for thought.

meloman1592
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
says a melo fan look this year melo has been one of the most clutch if not the most clutch but you still gotta go with kobe no matter what the percentages say hes a winner a champion and he also gets it done in the playoffs!

hey genius since every1 on psd wants to live off of stats...melo is the clutchest. Case closed.

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I wasn't talking about Kobe's games bro. I am talking about every single player's games. Not just one player. I highly doubt you've seen the end of most close games this season, or last.

I will end my argument on this.

What equates a better clutch shooter?

Making 30 out of 80 or making 24 out of 50 game winning shots?

being put in a game winning situation more than the other person has alot to do with it.

check kobes track record thru out his yrs, hes untouchable in clutch situations. playoffs and season

but i respect ur opinion tho bro. :cool:

Meatmypet
04-11-2011, 11:18 PM

Melo's 19-39 for Game Winners including OT. That's 48%.

Swashcuff
04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
being put in a game winning situation more than the other person has alot to do with it.

check kobes track record thru out his yrs, hes untouchable in clutch situations. playoffs and season

but i respect ur opinion tho bro. :cool:

I also respect yours bro. I mean you really can't go wrong with Kobe he is still one of the most clutch players ever. I would not fault someone for choosing him. I did check Kobe's track record however and posted it in my earlier reply.

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Not really.

Not only has Kobe made a great deal he has also missed a far greater deal of late game shots.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-01-28/research-shows-kobe-not-as-clutch-as-perceived

With the game on the line

Trailing by one or two points, or tied, in the final 24 seconds of regular-season and playoff games since 1996-97, with a minimum of 30 shots. From Alok Pattani of ESPN Stats & Information.
Player FG FGA FG%
Carmelo Anthony 21 44 47.7
Chris Paul 14 31 45.2
Shawn Marion 12 30 40
Brandon Roy 12 30 40
Hedo Turkoglu 12 30 40
Rashard Lewis 18 46 39.1
Glenn Robinson 14 36 38.9
Deron Williams 14 36 38.9
Mike Bibby 15 39 38.5
Dirk Nowitzki 25 65 38.5
Jalen Rose 12 32 37.5
Tim Duncan 23 62 37.1
Eddie Jones 13 36 36.1
Karl Malone 11 31 35.5
Ben Gordon 17 49 34.7
Chris Webber 18 52 34.6
Raymond Felton 12 36 33.3
LeBron James 23 69 33.3
Ray Allen 23 70 32.9
Gilbert Arenas 13 40 32.5
Vince Carter 31 96 32.3
Steve Francis 14 44 31.8
Damon Stoudamire12 38 31.6
Nick Van Exel 16 51 31.4
Kobe Bryant 36 115 31.3
Jason Terry 14 45 31.1
Allen Iverson 21 68 30.9
Kevin Garnett 22 72 30.6
Ron Artest 9 30 30
Allan Houston 12 41 29.3
Entire league 2038 6861 29.7

Now don't get me wrong I still think Kobe is the 2nd best player in the crunch time in the entire NBA but its really hard to go against the facts.

Oh and one more thing, this season Melo has hit 3 game winners Kobe, Wade and LeBron 0 combined. Food for thought.

so when top nba analyst say they want the ball in kobes hands at the end of games, or they say he is the best closer in the game and arguably ever this means nothing? or when jordan say kobe is the best in the game (this being said by the greatest to ever play) this means nothing to anybody? if it doesnt u guys should become analyst because obviously u guys know much more than they do.

BallinGid3
04-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Kobe
Wade
Melo

^ in that order aswell

DragonJaii
04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Melo for sure.
Kobe 2nd
Rose
Manu

mania03
04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Kobe, Melo, Wade

Even though Kobe hasn't been the greatest this season in clutch situations last season he was unbelievable. Melo is one of the best ISO players down the stretch and hes been able to finish surprisingly. And everyone knows Wade is capable since hes been able to win some big games for MIA this season down the stretch, esp the last game against LA.

And LBJ is up there too but hes been off this season ...Im not sure why but Ive seen his game in CLEV and he can easily take over a game with 5mins left.

D Roses Bulls
04-12-2011, 12:10 AM
this season rose ranks number 1 in the last 3 and 5 minutes and 2nd overall according to NBA.com look at the bottom of the page.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/04/07/statscube-mvp/index.html

Dnovakovic099
04-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Give me Robert Horry. Not only was he clutch, he always ended up on championship teams somehow. Seriously though Melo is preatty clutch. Those of you saying that he dosen't play defense, yes that is true but he plays defense at the end of games to a small extent so when you compare that to the NO defense he plays throughout the game that equates to VERY clutch.:). I like Pierce, Wade, Ginobili, Rose, Kobe, and Melo. You can't go wrong with any of those and I am sure there are more I am missing. If you take out game winning shot give me LeBron any day. LeBron just needs to drive at the end of games again instead of shooting threes.

mttwlsn16
04-12-2011, 12:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463f9vIeO6E&feature=related
this man
:drool: miss him
play #1, 25 pts in the 4th Q :speechless:

natelpete
04-12-2011, 01:10 AM
paul pierce for sure.. on another note, it is nice to see this thread at least once a month.

natelpete
04-12-2011, 01:12 AM
if kobe is up there so should lebron just sayin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/columns/story?columnist=haberstroh_tom&page=KobeLeBronclutch-101222)..
for a last second shot it would be kobe, to take over a game on the line in the fourth quarter, lebron.

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 01:31 AM
rose

rest

what do we do for sarcasm around here? :D
Wade
"The Truth"
Carmelo
Kobe

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I really want to know DR1 stats under 24 in clsoe games

Knicks21
04-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Melo is the most clutch player currently, however with new breeds of talent it should change. I can see players like Rose, Durant and more to start improving their game to become deadly in the final minutes of the game.

The Jokemaker
04-12-2011, 02:45 AM
Gotta go with Carmelo. He just feels like a closer to me, a guy that embraces the big shot and nails them down. If I had to pick a guy to take a last second shot to win the game, I'd take Melo 5 out of 7 days a week (the other 2 days would be Kobe).

LOOTERX9
04-12-2011, 03:11 AM
I vote for Carmelo Anthony as #1

Evolution23
04-12-2011, 03:32 AM
I used o love B Roy. It seemed like he would make the right play every time down the strech but he keeps getting injured. :(

mikealike305
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Is it clutchest or most clutch?

and why isnt lebron here?

anyway, i voted for Wade here.

BullsFTW
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
This Year

1. Rose
2. Kobe
3. Durant

rickshaw
04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Dude are you stupid???

Lmao u on crack?

dude, forgot clutch meant just the last shot and no other point of the game

Tarheels23
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
For a last shot:

Pierce
Kobe
Melo
Ray Allen

Da Knicks
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I voted melo last year and voted Melo this year, dude is just clutch.

natelpete
04-13-2011, 01:14 AM
other than the bulls fans on here, does anyone really want d rose to have the ball for a last second shot?