PDA

View Full Version : A Bulls/Spurs Tiebreaker Would Be a Random Drawing?

JordansBulls
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/IraHeatBeat/status/57524068060110848

Wow, NBA reveals with all tiebreakers coming up even, if Bulls, Spurs tie for best W-L, random drawing would determine home court in Finals.

What type of idea is this?

Niro
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
isn it like first wins/loss, then most wins against playoff teams in your conference, then against the other conference, then +- points or something like that?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah I heard about this the other day. Weird.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 04:11 PM
i agree that eventually after all the tiebreakers have been exhausted, a coin flip is inevitable, but to have it second/third(either way you look at it) on the list is ********. there is so many more options. why not pt. differential in the opposing conf games? maybe im overreacting...

danniboi168
04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
that is really strange.

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
i agree that eventually after all the tiebreakers have been exhausted, a coin flip is inevitable, but to have it second/third(either way you look at it) on the list is ********. there is so many more options. why not pt. differential in the other conf games? maybe im over reacting...

Do we really want to encourage teams to run up the score in the event of a tiebreaker? Or reward teams based on a specific playing style (if it was points allowed/points given up).

A better idea would be to give it to whichever team plays in the conference who won the all-star game ;)

Redbull
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Very weird but either way if it's happens I will take it.

sep11ie
04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
They should give it to the Spurs since the Bulls are the luckiest team in the world in getting DRose.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-11-2011, 04:19 PM
They should give it to the Spurs sinc the Bulls are the luckiest team in the world in getting DRose.

The Spurs are too because they got Duncan.:mad:

twoearl
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
They should settle it like you do on the playground. You shoot for it. They select their best shooters and they both take turns shooting. First person to miss loses home court.

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
They should have a 1 game playoff at the Verizon Arena in Little Rock, AR--which is 593.49 miles from San Antonio and 654.21 miles from Chicago--to determine home court advantage. And to avoid having do decide a default "home" team for the playoff game, both teams would wear their away jerseys.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Do we really want to encourage teams to run up the score in the event of a tiebreaker? Or reward teams based on a specific playing style (if it was points allowed/points given up).

A better idea would be to give it to whichever team plays in the conference who won the all-star game ;)

It's such a random occurrence that I doubt coaches will be coaching with this in mind...

I can't believe they still do that... ok, fine, you had a tie in an all star game, let's prevent that by getting the world series involved.

ManRam
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
How else would you decide it though? It's no different than a coin-toss deciding OT in the NFL/CFB. An extra game wouldn't be beneficial.

However, how are all these tied? Did they change them? Or is this only for two teams in the same conference?

Two-Team Tiebreaker:
1. Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division)
2. Better record in head-to-head games
3. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
4. Higher winning percentage in conference games
5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
6. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
7. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed

I know for a fact #7 won't be a tie.

Slimsim
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
MAybe who ever has the better playoff record going into the finals IDK

Kyben36
04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
They should give it to the Spurs sinc the Bulls are the luckiest team in the world in getting DRose.

and the spurs havnt been lucky, Parker and Genobli have been late round picks. Blair and alot of their other players have been great/lucky picks.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
How else would you decide it though? It's no different than a coin-toss deciding OT in the NFL/CFB. An extra game wouldn't be beneficial.

However, how are all these tied? Did they change them? Or is this only for two teams in the same conference?

I know for a fact #7 won't be a tie.

Its a different rule between two teams from different conferences for the Finals HCA.

Sly Guy
04-11-2011, 04:37 PM

lol, short memories I guess.

sep11ie
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM

and the spurs havnt been lucky, Parker and Genobli have been late round picks. Blair and alot of their other players have been great/lucky picks.

Sarcasm 101.

Team*Chicago
04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
They should give it to the Spurs since the Bulls are the luckiest team in the world in getting DRose.

:rolleyes: Did Derrick Rose hurt your feelings too? The Bulls are not the luckiest team in the world, if the Bulls were then the Bulls would have won more championships than the Celtics and Lakers already.

:p To bad your rockets are clone of the Chicago Bulls.

Cool007
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I am fine with the Random drawing.

Fair for both teams.

sep11ie
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
:rolleyes: Did Derrick Rose hurt your feelings too? The Bulls are not the luckiest team in the world, if the Bulls were then the Bulls would have won more championships than the Celtics and Lakers already.

:p To bad your rockets are clone of the Chicago Bulls.

I was just playing around dude. I'm actually going for the Bulls since the Rockets are out.

DaBear
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Why not division record? Oh wait, then everyone will ***** about how easy the Bulls division is. Instead, we'll take the luck of the draw to determine it and yet that will have no controversy afterwards...

bulldog312
04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Why not division record? Oh wait, then everyone will ***** about how easy the Bulls division is. Instead, we'll take the luck of the draw to determine it and yet that will have no controversy afterwards...

Division record wouldn't make much sense at all. If I had to pick I would go with toughest opponent's winning percentage.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...

1-Head to Head
2-Record against other conf.
3-Coin Flip

clferg75
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM
If your going to flip a coin, you might as well shoot for it. Then talent will atleast have a chance over luck . Plus you could have it on tv!

210Don
04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
they should duel with there worst players and if the guy dies they play one guy short in playoffs lol

Shark
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Baseball still has the best finals idea. They determine it at the allstar game, whoever Wins the allstar game between AL and NL, that league gets home advantage for playoffs. Most players on both teams in all star games are generally on competing teams for the playoffs, so it gives both teams motivation to play. Especially if this would happen in the NBA, most if not all players in NBA are playoff bound teams, that would make the nba allstar game actually decent, rather then lebron trying to show off against his peers.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Baseball still has the best finals idea. They determine it at the allstar game, whoever Wins the allstar game between AL and NL, that league gets home advantage for playoffs. Most players on both teams in all star games are generally on competing teams for the playoffs, so it gives both teams motivation to play. Especially if this would happen in the NBA, most if not all players in NBA are playoff bound teams, that would make the nba allstar game actually decent, rather then lebron trying to show off against his peers.

either this is sarcasm or youre 16

hgtiger32
04-12-2011, 01:50 AM
with all of this talk you know what will prolly happen? neither the spurs nor bulls make the playoffs

ellesmeire
04-12-2011, 01:57 AM
so dumb...unless we win the coin flip :D jk

210Don
04-12-2011, 02:26 AM
with all of this talk you know what will prolly happen? neither the spurs nor bulls make the playoffs

:confused:

northsid3r
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
they should duel with there worst players and if the guy dies they play one guy short in playoffs lol

Chris Quinn Vs. John Lucas III :clap:

TO to the CHI
04-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Seeing as to how they both have clinched this seems unlikely.

I assume you meant the Finals, however, and I tend to agree that the odds of a Bulls vs. Spurs matchup are sufficiently low that I would not be losing too much sleep over this possibility for at least another month.

LakersIn5
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM

parker and ginobili fell to the spurs draft picks thats what you called great scouting. the bulls on the other hand had the 9th best chance of winning the lottery and they won???

TylerSL
04-13-2011, 08:08 AM
not really fair to the spurs if you really think about it. Everybody knows Pop will rest his staters because they have the #1 seed in the West. They have had the #1 record in the NBA all year, and now the Bulls have caught up to them because they rested starters. So I think we need to respect the fact that the Spurs have had this record pretty much ALL year. Also, I think we need to respect that the West is MUCH harder than the East. Just my opinion tho....

Sergio1984
04-13-2011, 08:19 AM
not really fair to the spurs if you really think about it. Everybody knows Pop will rest his staters because they have the #1 seed in the West. They have had the #1 record in the NBA all year, and now the Bulls have caught up to them because they rested starters. So I think we need to respect the fact that the Spurs have had this record pretty much ALL year. Also, I think we need to respect that the West is MUCH harder than the East. Just my opinion tho....

I don't think you are being fair to the Bulls. They've worked hard to catch up to the Spurs. It's not their fault their team decided to rest their players when the Bulls were only a game back for the best record in the league. You act like the Spurs have been resting their players for the last week. You can be awesome all season but if you fall asleep towards the end then what's the point, you have to finish strong and SA gave the Bulls the chance to catch up and they surely did. Better hope SA doesn't lose to PHX or else you can chalk up the Bulls with the best record in the league.

bulldog312
04-13-2011, 08:33 AM

It's generally accepted as common knowledge that the west is harder, but that is built into an earlier tiebreaker. The Bulls had the same record against the west as the Spurs had against the east. And as far as losses resulting from resting players, you can't differentiate the two. A loss is a loss, no matter how it happens.

Team*Chicago
04-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I was just playing around dude. I'm actually going for the Bulls since the Rockets are out.

My bad, I'm sorry.

JordansBulls
04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
At first I thought this wouldn't happen, but now it very well could.

Team*Chicago
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM

:facepalm:

chitown815
04-13-2011, 10:34 AM

lol i was wondering why people took it seriously

Greet
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Don't have to worry about that, Bulls won't make the Finals either way.

SoxBearsBulls!
04-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Don't have to worry about that, Bulls won't make the Finals either way.

Thank you Nostradamus, while you're at it, let me have the winning California Lotto numbers for this drawing coming up on Friday:clap:

mikealike305
04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank you Nostradamus, while you're at it, let me have the winning California Lotto numbers for this drawing coming up on Friday:clap:

oh yea thats not old. very original joke there

JordansBulls
04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm assumming the league would just wait to see if both teams make the finals before they do the random drawing. Or would they actually do the random drawing once tonights games are in just so that everyone knows who has the HCA?

bholly
04-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Luckily this isn't happening. With Spurs loss to Phoenix tonight, Bulls clinch homecourt throughout the playoffs.

Rosh
04-14-2011, 01:08 AM
As bholly said, Bulls clinch home court. This thread is now obsolete.