PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Final Power Rankings

D Roses Bulls
04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
1 (2) Bulls 60-20 Every Bulls team that's ever won 60 games has gone on to win it all. So the least we can say about this one, however inexperienced, is that the sixth 60-win team in franchise history is the favorite in the East. Right?

2 (1) Lakers 55-25 It's hideous for the champs -- who in the worst case could suddenly fall all the way to No. 4 in the West -- but L.A.'s latest siesta is great for playoff intrigue after that 17-1 run made them seem so invincible again.

3 (4) Heat 56-24 The Heat wound up going 4-9 against the teams with the five best records besides theirs (Spurs, Bulls, Lakers, Celtics and Mavs). Not that it matters as much as we all thought in an East that is winnable for them.

4 (6) Spurs 61-19 Should the Spurs, holders of the league's best record since mid-November, lay down Tuesday night in L.A. to make sure the Lakers don't fall all the way to the No. 4 seed and right into their bracket? You tell me.

5 (9) Thunder 54-26 Even after last week's sweep of the Nuggets, I still say it's going to be fascinating to watch how OKC handles a Round 1 series with dangerous Denver when expectations, for the very first time, are so sky high.

6 (3) Nuggets 49-31 Probably not the most advisable play to say it out loud, but Denver's only two losses in its last 10 games should help explain why George Karl publicly admitted that he'd rather see Dallas than OKC in the first round.

7 (5) Celtics 55-25 Maybe it's just me, but I would have expected these Celts to try to rally around Perkins' exile by vowing to spite Ainge for doing the deal. Never expected a 9-10 funk with Rondo failing to reach 10 assists 13 times.

8 (8) Trail Blazers 47-33 Sources say there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs. So it seems safe to buy into the idea B-Roy -- like Portland's depth, home-court mojo and versatility since acquiring G-Wallace -- will be a playoff factor.

9 (10) Mavericks 55-25 How will you remember the season in Mavsland? For the 11th straight 50-win season of the Cuban era? Or the panic-inducing recent nosedive that has turned them into the elite team everyone wants to see in the first round?

10 (7) Grizzlies 46-34 Even after that costly home L to the Clips, I won't change my opinion: Memphis is the lower seed to fear most in the West even without Rudy Gay. The Spurs, Lakers and Mavs all dread seeing Z-Bo and Co. Trust me.

11 (11) Magic 50-30 Just because he's not getting my MVP vote doesn't mean that I won't take a quick 20 to hat-tip Dwight Howard for joining Hakeem, Barkley and Moses as the only players in the last 30 seasons to average 23 ppg and 14 rpg.

12 (12) Hornets 46-34 Props to CP3, Okafor and rookie coach Monty Williams (again): New Orleans' D has improved even more than Chicago's this season, down a league-leading 9.2 ppg ... compared to minus-7.8 ppg for Thibodeau's Bulls.

13 (17) Knicks 42-38 Guess who just posted their first winning season since going 48-34 in 2000-01 and -- after the national pounding Melo took for that recent 1-9 swoon -- has quietly matched the league's longest active win streak held by Chicago?

14 (15) 76ers 41-39 In addition to the Collins factor, credit generally good health for putting Philly on the brink of its first winning season since 2004-05. The flip side: Going 2-8 in OT games didn't make Doug's job any easier.

15 (13) Rockets 42-38 They started the season 0-5 and started 2011 with five straight L's, too. Two rough stretches that helped keep a game, hot Houston team (along with last week's painful L's to the Kings and Hornets) out of the playoffs.

16 (16) Pacers 37-44 Even if he's a long shot to hang onto the job, Vogel is 20-17 since replacing Jim O'Brien, which means he can officially finish with a winning record no matter what his similarly inexperienced team does against the Bulls.

17 (14) Hawks 44-36 I know Jason Collins is the supposed Dwight Stopper. I'm also well aware of Atlanta's 3-1 edge in the season series. I just can't forget how uninspired the Hawks, 10-15 since the All-Star break, have looked for weeks.

18 (20) Warriors 35-45 Instead of reveling in their hard-to-fathom sweep of the Mavs, Blazers and Lakers that certainly couldn't have hurt Keith Smart's job security, they've been reduced to the Worriers again after iron man Monta's scary fall.

19 (18) Suns 38-42 The irony in the desert, if we can leap to the conclusion that Nash (37) and Grant Hill (38) aren't going to be there forever, is that it looks as if the center spot (Gortat) is the only position they're set going forward.

20 (21) Bucks 33-47 This will go down as the lowest-scoring team in Bucks history. But what hurts even more than all the injuries is knowing there's no Kareem in the draft to save them like the last Bucks team (1968-69) that shot it so poorly.

21 (22) Clippers 31-50 Knowing how uber-competitive he is, something tells me Blake -- after 62 double-doubles and 210 dunks -- ain't gonna be happy when he finds out his Clips are tied for the league's No. 2 playoff drought (five seasons).

22 (23) Kings 24-56 Two more home games left for the Cousins/Evans/Thornton trio to improve on the recent 7-4 surge and pad the franchise record of 540-384 at Arco Arena before the inevitable move to the committee's home turf in OC.

23 (24) Pistons 29-51 Remember Kuester's 1-27 season coaching collegiately at George Washington? This chaos-filled season of player rebellion had to be rougher, all the way down to the Pistons not being sold until the season's final week.

24 (19) Bobcats 32-48 Making the playoffs, even in the East, was realistically impossible after trading G-Wallace and losing S. Jackson. But to hang in for so long and then eliminate themselves with back-to-back L's to the Wiz and Cavs ... ugh.

25 (27) Jazz 37-43 One last shock-to-the-system stat to cap a season of unprecedented upheaval in Utah: Corbin has that two-year contract extension ... but also has just six wins in 26 games with a team that's lost its fight post-Sloan.

26 (26) Wizards 22-58 Not even the league's worst road record, Wall's early injuries or the l-o-n-g wait to finally win three in a row can prevent us from scoring the season as a W for the Wiz, simply because they found a trade-taker for Arenas.

27 (28) Cavaliers 17-63 Some big wins for a team that will be remembered for a record 26-game losing streak: Boston in the opener. The Lakers right before the All-Star break. And Miami in March to avenge LeBron's triumphant first game back.

28 (25) Raptors 22-58 My apologies, Canada. The Raps will head for the summer having left this Toronto wannabe with the sense that Bargnani's underwhelming season as a first option is the far bigger deal, sadly, than DeRozan's progress.

29 (29) Nets 24-56 Prokhorov got his star in the end, but the finish to his first full season in charge -- losing game after game to sweeten Utah's pick with D-Will and Hump sidelined -- is almost as torturous as the months spent chasing Melo.

30 (30) Timberwolves 17-63 The pertinent stats for another hard-to-watch season that had us longing for Rubio: Sota went 13-40 during Love's run of 53 straight double-doubles ... and now holds the league's longest playoff drought at six seasons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/season/2011/week/24

asandhu23
04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
hmm

Crackadalic
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Never would have thought the Wolves would be this bad

LayZbone
04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd switch 2 and 3

NYKnicksAllDay
04-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Mavs seem a little low.

Ray_R
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Never would have thought the Wolves would be this bad

Bucks get my vote.

Crackadalic
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Bucks get my vote.

has more to do with injuries since most of their rotation players miss a lot of games but i didnt expect them to be this bad

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
No surprise on any of these.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
i think nba.com has it right.
http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

the espn one shows stein's homerism for the Lakers.
if it was the rankings on who was the best teams in the nba rather than who is playing the best of late i might tend to agree. you cant just switch the criteria week to week.

imo
1.chi
2a.mia
2b.san (can't go wrong with either one here)
4.okc
5.la

Purple&Gold24
04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Media learned its lesson on ranking the lakers low. The team is bipolar.

D Roses Bulls
04-11-2011, 04:18 PM
i think nba.com has it right.
http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

the espn one shows stein's homerism for the Lakers.
if it was the rankings on who was the best teams in the nba rather than who is playing the best of late i might tend to agree. you cant just switch the criteria week to week.

imo
1.chi
2a.mia
2b.san (can't go wrong with either one here)
4.okc
5.la

the lakers don't care right now, they still are the best team in basketball. by the way, I think stein is a celtics homer, not a laker homer.

ashyzup
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Lakers still at number two after five straight losses. :laugh2: And ahead of the Spurs which has a better record and has been pretty decent lately.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
the lakers don't care right now, they still are the best team in basketball. by the way, I think stein is a celtics homer, not a laker homer.

i always thought it was lakers.

Baller1
04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
OKC > Lakers

Schumann has it right.

D-Block21-Chito
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Bulls vs. okc in finals....Bulls win in 7

Gators123
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd love to see OKC in the finals.

D Roses Bulls
04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
bulls vs lakers I'm hoping.......

nickdymez
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I'd love to see OKC in the finals.

You wont..

Lakers being ranked 2nd after losing 5 games is a joke. I'd maybe put them at 5.

Team*Chicago
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
:speechless: I'm suprised that ESPN is kissing the Bulls a--es. The got us ranked #1 which is Derrick Rose number.

Sly Guy
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
typical espn at it's finest. Lakers in the midst of a 5 game skid, and yet they're #2? I thought power rankings were suppost to be about which teams are playing well over the last week or so?

justinnum1
04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
lakers above heat?

The Final Boss
04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Lol

The Final Boss
04-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I think the funniest part of this whole aspect is the relative stupidity being emitted from clowns being disappointed by Los Angeles' ranking. The Lakers haven't been trying the last 4 games. Kobe and Pau have ridiculously low minutes. The Bulls fans want to see the Lakers. But you have to be a fool to think the Bulls want the same thing.

madvillian9
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I think the funniest part of this whole aspect is the relative stupidity being emitted from clowns being disappointed by Los Angeles' ranking. The Lakers haven't been trying the last 4 games. Kobe and Pau have ridiculously low minutes. The Bulls fans want to see the Lakers. But you have to be a fool to think the Bulls want the same thing.

whatever makes you sleep at night

Sly Guy
04-11-2011, 06:44 PM

so 'not trying' is an indication of a team's recent success? :confused:

ashyzup
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
so 'not trying' is an indication of a team's recent success? :confused:

:laugh:

nickdymez
04-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Weather or not they are trying means nothing. Thats not the point of a power ranking. Its to rank a teams play between a period of time. In this last period, the lakers were playing like **** for whatever reason.

DaBear
04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
The Lakers are still a top 2 team in the NBA, but I agree they have no business in the top 5 for this week of power rankings. These power rankings will mean nothing in a few weeks.

DR_1
04-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Bucks get my vote.

Jazz get mine lol.

Giannis94
04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Bucks get my vote.

Speaking if wisconsin who won the Nfc championship?

Baller1
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Pau shot a very efficient 10-16 last night, while Kobe was clearly trying and also had a pretty good game. Steve Blake had 3 huge threes in only three tries, and Bynum was his same old self.

Kobe even said he was pissed after the game, and we all know he did not want to lose that game one bit.

The Thunder flatout outplayed the Lakers, deal with it.

The Jokemaker
04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
So was this based on the whole season or recent performance? Frankly I'm failing to understand how the Grizzlies dropped 3 yet the Mavs and Celtics are ahead of them who have been struggliign mightily. They even said they were the most dangerous low seed. Whatever, typical disrespect. Grizzlies better make some noises in the playoffs, at least go 6 or 7 games.

Bulls_fan90
04-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Speaking if wisconsin who won the Nfc championship?

If you want to troll about the NFL go to the NFL forum.

iggypop123
04-12-2011, 12:18 AM

that is a valid point the lakers have been resting guys not electing to tax the guys legs but yesterday they flat out tried... at least offensively. defense is another thing. its one thing if the thunder were hot from the 3 with even mediocre shooters like westbrook and sefolosha swishing 3s but they just beat themselves. the thunder didnt even have to do anything. the lakers just turned the ball over for most of the 4th. unforced turnovers.

nickdymez
04-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Pau shot a very efficient 10-16 last night, while Kobe was clearly trying and also had a pretty good game. Steve Blake had 3 huge threes in only three tries, and Bynum was his same old self.

Kobe even said he was pissed after the game, and we all know he did not want to lose that game one bit.

The Thunder flatout outplayed the Lakers, deal with it.

Good evening cocky Thunder fan. Are you gonna deal with the lakers putting you out again?

BradyIsTheMan12
04-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Blazers at number 8 is about where I would have hoped. I don't know about Roy being much more than he is now in the playoffs, but I'll pray that their optimism is worthy. Can't wait for the playoffs!

John Walls Era
04-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Blazers at number 8 is about where I would have hoped. I don't know about Roy being much more than he is now in the playoffs, but I'll pray that their optimism is worthy. Can't wait for the playoffs!

Book it: Mavs will lose to the Blazers if the Blazers fall to 7th. They match up extremely well.

I think we can all agree than Mike was out of his mind when he traded Gerald Wallace.

Saad
04-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Dont get how the Lakers are second, and this is coming from a Laker Fan

BullsFTW
04-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Bulls vs Lakers in The Finals