PDA

View Full Version : Can a case be made for Greg Popovich being the best coach ever?

gsgs49
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
I think that Greg Popovich is one of the best coaches of all time and maybe the best ever.

The spurs,the team with the best record have 5 players who aren't a top 25 pick so people give a lot of credit to the spurs GM for drafting Manu Ginobili as the 57th pick,Tony Parker as the 28th pick,Dejuan Blair as the 37th pick and George Hill and Gary Neal are undrafted and there is others who aren't currently with the spurs but I don't think that the spurs GM is a genius and the 29 others GM are all dumb for passing those players once or even twice.I give the credit to pops for developing those guys and getting the best of them.

90% of people consider Phil Jackson the best coach ever because he won 11 championships.
Jackson won 11 championships,6 of them with the chicago bulls,he had Michael Jordan,Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman in the last three.
Then he went to LA and won three championships with Shaq and Kobe then won two with Kobe and Gasol.
Jordan,Pippen,Rodman,Shaq and Kobe are top 50 players all time imo and Gasol has a big chance to be a top 50 player when his career is over.
On the other hand,Pops won 4 championships with only one top 50 player in Tim Duncan(he had another top 50 player in David Robinson but he was way passed his prime).So I don't think the championships argument can favour Jackson by a lot.Jordan,Rodman,Shaq,Kobe,Gasol were all stars before being coached by Phil but nobody knew Ginobili,Parker etc.. before Pops.

And look at the spurs this year,Pops changed their system of playing and they got better.

EDIT for lakers fans:This thread isn't to bash Jackson,he's a great coach but popovich is better in my opinion.

What do you think?

Sly Guy
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
pops is up there, but like I've mentioned in previous threads, I wouldn't discount sloan easily either.

gatkins11
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
He's a great coach. But I believe Phil Jackson would be above him with all those championships.

Hellcrooner
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
make a case? surely

win the case? No.

mikealike305
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
^this

Tarheels23
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Red Auerbach

Jetsguy
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
No, but he is one of the best all time pretty much sums it up perfectly

smith&wesson
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
he has some rings to win yet before he can be talked about in the same breath as red and phil. but he has my vote for top 5 along with jerry sloan.

gsgs49
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
pops is up there, but like I've mentioned in previous threads, I wouldn't discount sloan easily either.

Having zero championship despite two top 30 players of all time on his team hurts Sloan's case a lot.

Sly Guy
04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Having zero championship despite two top 30 players of all time on his team hurts Sloan's case a lot.

and coming up against 3 hall of famers in the process, one being the best of that generation, possibly greatest all time doesn't excuse that?

Sorry, I'm not a believer in the 'rings' argument. Like I said in a previous thread, Sloan's case comes from consistency no matter what players he's had.

_Supreme_
04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
He's a great coach. But I believe Phil Jackson would be above him with all those championships.

Popovich did far greater things with less while Phil always got it handed to him on a silver platter by getting to work with the most dominant players of their era (MJ & Shaq) + most of his teams were stacked.

Actually Jackson is one of the most overrated coaches ever and GP still gets underappreciated because he & the Spurs never get/got hyped by the media riding the woody of the large market Lakers/Bulls. After all the Spurs always had the boring image while PJ's teams were all about glamour, attention & spectacle. In the end that is what brainwashes a very large % of the fans into thinking a certain way, even though it is very shallow really.

That's not to say Popovich didn't have quality on his teams, but he definitely did more with less star power. Also I'm not saying PJ is a bad coach, but he is not as good as claimed by some.

barreleffact
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I will say this, in close games I preer no coach more than Pop. He is an amazing coach and draws the most from his players. With that said, the ring argument matters most with coaches. He has 4 which is gaudy, but Phil is aiming at his fourth 3-peat. Yes, phil has had talent, but so has every championship team. the bulls left many players winless. His lakers dominated a weak east, but his lakers now have played some great ball. Regardless of the results of this year, Pop cant compare to Phil. If his four rings had come from teams not led by a player of legendary caliber than sure. If he coached the nuggets to titles or players outside the top 10-15 then sure. As it stands, no. But he is a great coach and expert developer nonetheless

Ripper Gein
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Great coach Yes, Best Coach ever NO! Phil is still the Best EVER....

barreleffact
04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Popovich did far greater things with less while Phil always got it handed to him on a silver platter by getting to work with the most dominant players of their era (MJ & Shaq) + most of his teams were stacked.

Actually Jackson is one of the most overrated coaches ever and GP still gets underappreciated because he & the Spurs never get/got hyped by the media riding the woody of the large market Lakers/Bulls. After all the Spurs always had the boring image while PJ's teams were all about glamour, attention & spectacle. In the end that is what brainwashes a very large % of the fans into thinking a certain way, even though it is very shallow really.

That's not to say Popovich didn't have quality on his teams, but he definitely did more with less star power. Also I'm not saying PJ is a bad coach, but he is not as good as claimed by some.

In what way did he do more??? at all! I mean honestly, I get the point of your post but he in no way did more at all. 11>4.

As much credit as PJ gets, he also gets undeserved criticism as well. Did you want him to lose with those players? For the record many other coaches did lose wit hthe same rosters btw. Phil's teams always delivered, and never did anything without him. He is also a great developer too. Who was Kobe before Phil? Gasol did nothing before him either. Ariza? Shannon brown? The list goes on.

I really hate how people with talent an so hated for no reason. Who doesnt need or want talent? Who has won without talent? People act as if talent will guarantee rings and the coach doesnt matter. In truth, the Buls are a testiment to how much a coach can change a team. FYI for everyone that thinks but any great players together and you get a title with a monkey coach, consider that the rest of the eague has talented teams too. And I honestly dont consider his teams to have been stacked. Top heave? yes, but stacked??? no. Look at his roster now? His roster is vastly overrated IMO, but it's won titles

_Supreme_
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I could probably have coached those Bulls & Lakers to a couple of championships myself.

The years when Phil didn't have a stacked team or multiple superstars exposed him for the not-so-greatness that he really is.

Coaching =/= sitting back and playing sports psychologist.

rapjuicer06
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
i think coaching wise he's better than phil. i think phils a damn good coach, but he's had a lot more talent than pop. phil was more of an ego calmer, and that takes a lot. but this era i'd say yea, you could very well make a case of him being the best coach

king4day
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
The drafting has helped him considerably. I'd like to see him with a team of misfits first befor deeming him the best ever.
I have him ahead of PJ though.

Ripper Gein
04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I could probably have coached those Bulls & Lakers to a couple of championships myself.

The years when Phil didn't have a stacked team or multiple superstars exposed him for the not-so-greatness that he really is.

And as soon as Phil leaves the Lakers you will want him to coach your team....

Gram
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah I guess.

Hawkeye15
04-11-2011, 04:37 PM
make a case? surely

win the case? No.

perfect answer

AlexTmz2
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I think that Greg Popovich is one of the best coaches of all time and maybe the best ever.

The spurs,the team with the best record have 5 players who aren't a top 25 pick so people give a lot of credit to the spurs GM for drafting Manu Ginobili as the 57th pick,Tony Parker as the 28th pick,Dejuan Blair as the 37th pick and George Hill and Gary Neal are undrafted and there is others who aren't currently with the spurs but I don't think that the spurs GM is a genius and the 29 others GM are all dumb for passing those players once or even twice.I give the credit to pops for developing those guys and getting the best of them.

90% of people consider Phil Jackson the best coach ever because he won 11 championships.
Jackson won 11 championships,6 of them with the chicago bulls,he had Michael Jordan,Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman in the last three.
Then he went to LA and won three championships with Shaq and Kobe then won two with Kobe and Gasol.
Jordan,Pippen,Rodman,Shaq and Kobe are top 50 players all time imo and Gasol has a big chance to be a top 50 player when his career is over.
On the other hand,Pops won 4 championships with only one top 50 player in Tim Duncan(he had another top 50 player in David Robinson but he was way passed his prime).So I don't think the championships argument can favour Jackson by a lot.Jordan,Rodman,Shaq,Kobe,Gasol were all stars before being coached by Phil but nobody knew Ginobili,Parker etc.. before Pops.

And look at the spurs this year,Pops changed their system of playing and they got better.

EDIT for lakers fans:This thread isn't to bash Jackson,he's a great coach but popovich is better in my opinion.

What do you think?

Very well said. I really never thought about what you just pointed out. Nicely done.

lakers4sho
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM

:laugh:

TRF929
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I get where this is coming from, Phil has always had multiple players that are in the top 5 in their position. Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, MJ, Shaq, Pippen, all top 5, unlike the Spurs with only Duncan having been in the top 5 at his position, Robinson wasn't when they won in 99'. I would take Pop over Phil, but rings do talk and ppl will use that arguement everytime.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
He's one of the best.

He's not the best but you make make the case really close. I believe he's had +50 wins since 1997 excluding the lockout season. But doesn't he have the best winning percentage for a head coach?

xbrackattackx
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Pop is underrated for sure, love his coaching style.

ttam68
04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Xs and Os: Pop > Phil

Overall: Phil > Pop

Phil may have had talent, but as soon as he joins a team they become contenders. No one else has had results like that. A large part of his value comes in managing superstar talent, but that shouldn't discredit his achievements.

Fireworld
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes because he hasn't had many "great" players. Only Duncan and Robinson, the rest were basically role players.

championships
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
You can definately make a case and debate it.

But the answer is no, Although pop is up there with the great coaches of the league.

210Don
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Xs and Os: Pop > Phil

Overall: Phil > Pop

Phil may have had talent, but as soon as he joins a team they become contenders. No one else has had results like that. A large part of his value comes in managing superstar talent, but that shouldn't discredit his achievements.

what teams did he join that became contenders? the lakers didnt become contenders till they got pau.....phil was already there

Raiderwood
04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Pop is one of the best coaches of all time but not the best.. Everyone can make arguments about talent etc, but it takes more than talent to win Championships. Pop had Robinson , has Duncan.. And his best coaching is done making Ginobli, Parker etc into perennial all stars...

It is all in the titles though, he needs to win a few more before he gets to the elite few. Class act, I hope he does before it's all said and done

bringinwood
04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
The case can be made....

He is as good an evaluator of talent as I have ever seen...

He does more with less than any of the other high profile coaches....

He has never had a top 3 player in the NBA and somehow has 4 NBA championships...

In all fairness, you could have just about anyone coaching the Laker's team of the last 5 years and they will win... The talent level on those teams is just too high for them to lose...

SteveNash
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Hell no, still has to prove himself. Right now he's just a Red Auerbach.

enserio
04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
3 Championships and a *championship. If he's the greatest ever, then Rudy T is right there with him. Not happening.

210Don
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
3 Championships and a *championship. If he's the greatest ever, then Rudy T is right there with him. Not happening.

nice asterisk. :facepalm:

Lake_Show2416
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes without a doubt a case can be made, he made a random small city team a NBA power house and highly respected franchise

is he? IMO no, I'd choose Phil as the best ever but surely a case can be easily made for Pop

Kobes a Killer
04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
The best all time?? Hell to the NO

One heck of a coach though

Hellcrooner
04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
The case can be made....

He is as good an evaluator of talent as I have ever seen...

He does more with less than any of the other high profile coaches....

He has never had a top 3 player in the NBA and somehow has 4 NBA championships...

In all fairness, you could have just about anyone coaching the Laker's team of the last 5 years and they will win... The talent level on those teams is just too high for them to lose...

he has never have a top 3 player????

talk of underating TD.

he had the BEST PLAYER OF LAST DECADE.

THE GIPPER
04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
If popovich had the players phil had he would have just as many championships

clferg75
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM

11 championships = GOAT

Miami fans :facepalm:

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
nope, great coach, top 10 forsure but not the greatest. seriously

GspLAL
04-11-2011, 09:33 PM

yeah cuz those teams were winning championships before Phil

Lakerhead4ever
04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
If popovich had the players phil had he would have just as many championships

we tend to forget that pop had david Robinson (top 50 greatest players award) and tim duncan the greatest power forward of all time and if u put good solid pieces around any great player they'll win.

plus manu who is underrated and is clutch. and tony parker who is a consistent top 10 pg in the league when healthy.

he had guys like avery johnson, sean elliot, malik allen, robert horry, rick barry.

these are all solid solid pieces, so those who say "if he had what phil jackson had he would have more" dont know basketball

Jordan and pippen and a drop off of solid player-6 rings

shaq and kobe then a drop off of solid players-3 rings

Kobe and gasol and lamar (equivalent to kobe and shaq)- 2 rings

lets not act like duncan, manu, and parker are average players guys, pop most def has the talent.