PDA

View Full Version : Griffen, Love, and Year End Awards

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I've seen a lot of people talking about year-end awards. Kevin Love is up there for MIP, as is Lamarcus Aldrige. Both guys are deserving, but I've noted a lot of LA supporters have pointed to the Wolves HORRIBLE record and the Trailblazers' playoff spot as a reason as to why LA deserves it more.

I agree that LA's improvement on the floor is not measure soley by numbers (his numbers in fact arent far off from what he has been posting over the last three seasons), but more about his ability to lead his team. But the fact that Love simply doesnt have the same amount of talent around him doesn't mean his improvement is anything less deserving, as one cannot help what talent they have around them, and lets face Portland, despite their injuries, has a lot of talent.

On the flip side of the arguement Blake Griffen seems to be the choice for ROY, yet nobody has mentioned: The Clippers SUCK! Yes, they have more wins than Minny, but that is like saying piss smells better than $#!T. True enough, but neither smells good. Given the talent that the Clips have on their team, they seem to be under achievers this year. But nobody mentions that Griffen's team's poor performance when mentioning his ROY candidacy.

Rookies like Evan Turner, Larry Fields, Gary Neal, Tiago Splitter and Gary Forbes have all made solid contributions to PLAYOFF teams and contenders, yet nobody seems to suggest that the sucess of their respective teams warrants higher ranking in the ROY standings.

I can understnad the MVP award being tied into one's record, after all, how valuable can a player be to his team if his team is in the lottery? But other awards, like ROY, DPOTY and MIP are specifically about individual performance and not team success, so why is it for some of these awards some fans think the team's performance should factor into which player is the best defender, whick rookie is the best, and which player is most improved?

Just as Griffen is the clear cut choice for Rookie of the year, it seems to me that Love is the obvious choice for MIP, regardless of how poorly either of their teams have performed.

Thoughts?

Swashcuff
04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Don't mean to nitpick but I know you are a seasoned poster around here. When starting a thread you should try to get the correct spelling of the players name. It's Griffin not Griffen.

Anyways back on topic.

Basically team success has NOTHING to do with who is a better rookie than whom.

Plain and simple. The best rookies usually go to the teams that have the worst records in the league in the previous season. No rookie is to be expected to change a lottery team into a playoff team in their first season with the new team. NONE. The only time team record should even be mentioned when debating who is better than whom in terms of rookies in when their is a virtual stalemate in their production.

I mean really how many wins do you expect a rookie to give a team.

Think of it this way would the Clippers be better off if they had Tiago Splitter on their roster instead of Blake? My answer would be NO. Blake is better the ROY should go to who is the best not who's team has the best record.

DoMeFavors
04-10-2011, 12:24 AM
I dont think Love deserves it, he's only been in the league for 3 years. I think a MIP should be in the league for atleast 5 years. The man was supposed to be good, and its not like he was a career scrub.

TylerSL
04-10-2011, 01:36 AM
IMO

MVP-Derrick Rose
MIP-Kevin Love
6th Man of the Year-Lamar Odom
DPOY-Dwight Howard
ROTY-Blake Griffin
COTY-Doug Collins

All NBA Team 1
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard

All NBA Team 2
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Manu Ginobili
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Love

All Defensive Team 1
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Lebron James
Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard

All Defensive Team 2
Rajon Rondo
Kobe Bryant
Gerald Wallace
Kevin Love
Andrew Bogut

those are my picks

Hawkeye15
04-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Love-MIP
Griffin-ROY

I think both awards are already sitting on their mantles...

John Walls Era
04-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Griffin can enjoy his little plastic trophy, put it next to the Slam Dunk Trophy that was awarded to him before the contest.

THE GIPPER
04-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Griffin can enjoy his little plastic trophy, put it next to the Slam Dunk Trophy that was awarded to him before the contest.

I take it you dont think he deserves ROY. So who does?

John Walls Era
04-10-2011, 02:28 AM
I take it you dont think he deserves ROY. So who does?

Im ok with him winning ROY (even though hes technically a 2nd year player), but theres been like 10 threads about Griffin winning Roy.

k24magic
04-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Blake Griffin even though I'm getting tired of seeing him on Sportscenter every night he deserves ROY because no rookie is even close. He basically took John Wall's shine and he's been outplaying him since the season started. Now Kevin Love on the other hand doesn't deserve MIP. He was already a great player coming out of UCLA he just want playing consistent minutes and playing with Al Jefferson. Sometimes he would play less than 30 minutes and he'd still grab at least 10 rebounds and finish with a double double the man can flat out produce and his performance doesn't surprise me.

One player who I think should get strong consideration but, probably wont win it is Dorell Wright of Golden State. This man is ballin right now. He nearly doubled his scoring average, his 3pt attempts, one of the league leaders in 3pt makes, he's a good defender, he's very versatile. Ive watched a few Warriors games this season when they were on ESPN and when he kept killing my Magic team. He's fun to watch and good to see him get his shine on.