PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden: Running is 'over 5 months away'

Gators123
04-09-2011, 02:53 AM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28393226

Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden says he is "over five months away" from being able to start running after his microfracture knee surgery.

Back in March, we noted an interview with Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden in which he said he was "nowhere near" returning to the court after suffering a season-ending knee injury earlier this year. Nearly a month later, and not much has changed.

During Friday night's game between the Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Lakers in Portland, Oden joined the Blazers Broadcasting telecast to provide an update on his rehabilitation from microfracture surgery on his left knee that he underwent in November.

Oden said that, as of now, he's "still doing two-leg strength, body weight stuff" and that any type of on-court basketball activitiies are "very far down the road."

Asked specifically when he might make a return to the court, Oden said, "I can say, over five months away. I won't start running until then."

Oden is now nearly five months out from his surgery so another five months would mean he wouldn't be cleared to run until almost 10 months after his surgery. Originally, doctors anticipated Oden would miss "at least a year" due to the microfracture procedure.

John Walls Era
04-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Looks like he won't be back in time for next year...

BradyIsTheMan12
04-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Heard him say this during the broadcast, I'm not surprised though. Best thing for Greg is to take it slow and make sure he is good to go whenever he returns. It's terrible that he has to go through this again...

210Don
04-09-2011, 02:58 AM
hes been taking it slow his whole career if you wanna call it that...

John Walls Era
04-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Everytime an Oden story comes up... I'm reminded of this article: The Prophet (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/slamonline-mock-draft-victor-claver-no-24/)

BradyIsTheMan12
04-09-2011, 03:08 AM
hes been taking it slow his whole career if you wanna call it that...

Obviously he is injury prone, not denying that..but he did things that made it more difficult for him to come back. Greg was playing at too much weight, and while that isn't the main cause for the injuries it certainly didn't help. My guess is that he comes back more at his Ohio St. weight.

Khalifa21
04-09-2011, 03:39 AM
When he returns, i'm gonna be pulling for him harder (pause) than I think i've pulled for any player to have a successful career.

Seriously, the guy could've been a 20/10 with 3 blocks a night kinda talent and i'm still hoping he can produce at a high level.

Swashcuff
04-09-2011, 07:56 AM
When he returns, i'm gonna be pulling for him harder (pause) than I think i've pulled for any player to have a successful career.

Seriously, the guy could've been a 20/10 with 3 blocks a night kinda talent and i'm still hoping he can produce at a high level.

Wow we really do share the same brain or something.

I really have nothing but the best to wish for Oden and for me the best is being traded to my 76ers (:pray:), resurrecting his career and becoming the player he was destined to become. :D

dwadefan03
04-09-2011, 08:28 AM
i really hope he is at least able to become a solid rotational center in the nba

mttwlsn16
04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
gren oden is officially a joke

Ray_R
04-09-2011, 09:00 AM

I really have nothing but the best to wish for Oden and for me the best is being traded to the Suns (:pray:), resurrecting his career and becoming the player he was destined to become. :D

Fixed. He needs the Suns Medical Staff bad.

Sportfan
04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Isn't he a FA this year?

Hopefully Boston takes a chance at him.

Swashcuff
04-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Fixed. He needs the Suns Medical Staff bad.

The Suns already have their C of the future and if you ask some Suns fan Gortat is going to be better than Greg could ever be so I don't think the fan base would welcome such a deal.

Ray_R
04-09-2011, 09:40 AM
The Suns already have their C of the future and if you ask some Suns fan Gortat is going to be better than Greg could ever be so I don't think the fan base would welcome such a deal.

I was just saying how Greg Oden need the Suns training and health staff to help him become much more stronger and less injure prone like the they did Grant Hill. Didnt mean it seriously.

Sly Guy
04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
what exactly is wrong with his knees anyway? Why was microfracture necessary?

Antipod
04-09-2011, 09:50 AM
:cry:

Missing56&33
04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
The next first round draft pick that Portland selects and he is a big man, he should demand a trade.

29$JerZ
04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
He isn't in the Sam Bowie conversation yet but within the next 2 years if he isn't at least playing as a rotational player he is going to be a non factor in the NBA. Sad since he had all the talent in the world and was actually good on the floor.

tredigs
04-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I want to and do feel bad for Oden because he's humble and seems like a really good grandfather, and I think we were all anxious to get another premiere big in the league... but then I remember that he's not even 25 and getting paid millions upon millions of dollars for this whole process despite never really playing in the NBA. And I stop feeling too sorry for him.

But yeah, his story sucks right now, and I really do hope he returns to get in at least a few years of prime basketball.

@Jersey^, at least Bowie had a solid career.

Khalifa21
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM

I really have nothing but the best to wish for Oden and for me the best is being traded to my 76ers (:pray:), resurrecting his career and becoming the player he was destined to become. :D

:hi5:

Great minds think alike.

knicks4life33
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
he will be back next year cause there will be a lock out and we will be forced miss at least first 2 months of season

lakers4sho
04-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Everytime an Oden story comes up... I'm reminded of this article: The Prophet (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/slamonline-mock-draft-victor-claver-no-24/)

Oh I've talked to that same ghost. I believe he told me his name is Hellcrooner. Funny fellow.

jiggin
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
everyone including the doctors, trainers the blazer organization and Oden are being very caution as to what they tell the media regarding him and his recovery. The media has made such a big deal about him, its not good for him or the organization to set any time frames or tell anyone anything that would clue them into his rehab on a schedule basis. Anytime a comment is made with optimism, the media and haters immediately call him a joke ect...its not healthy for him or the rehab.

This thread is a perfect example why. People are pretty hard on Oden and the situation and its not good for him to be subjected to this harsh criticism.

He will be back, write it down.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Which team will take a chance on him in free agency?

tyfreaks brotha
04-09-2011, 02:44 PM

The Kings!!!

Crackadalic
04-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I hope the guy becomes healthy again

Purple&Gold24
04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Even worse verison of bynum.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Isn't he a FA this year?

Hopefully Boston takes a chance at him.

Rich Cho has been pretty adamant that he will extend a qualifying offer to make Oden a restricted FA. So unless a team decides to break the bank on a huge risk, he will likely be in Portland for at least one more season.

Lim
04-09-2011, 06:38 PM

a lot of teams will still take a chance on him. cant teach size, and hes only what 23? its a whole different story if these injuries happened at 30.

Chi StateOfMind
04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
he needs to run right into retirement

he's done feel sorry for him but just walk away