PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Conference Playoffs Hypothetical Situation

latinofire21
04-09-2011, 02:33 AM
With three games remaining in the season the New York Knicks are 3 games behind the Atlanta Hawks for the 5th seed. The teams split the season series at 2 a piece. If Atlanta finishes the season losing to Washington, Miami, and Charlotte and the Knicks win out the regular season against Indiana, Chicago, and Boston who gets the 5th seed? How is it decided? Anyone know the answer to this?

cubswin25
04-09-2011, 02:46 AM
With three games remaining in the season the New York Knicks are 3 games behind the Atlanta Hawks for the 5th seed. The teams split the season series at 2 a piece. If Atlanta finishes the season losing to Washington, Miami, and Charlotte and the Knicks win out the regular season against Indiana, Chicago, and Boston who gets the 5th seed? How is it decided? Anyone know the answer to this?

Hawks already clinched the 5th seed from what I understand. Because they will still have the tie breaker over the Knicks. Because I believe they will have a better record against the East then the Knicks do. Which is what the NBA does next to break ties after head to head match ups.

bholly
04-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Hawks already clinched the 5th seed from what I understand. Because they will still have the tie breaker over the Knicks. Because I believe they will have a better record against the East then the Knicks do. Which is what the NBA does next to break ties after head to head match ups.

Correct. Atlanta beat New York and Philly in tiebreakers by having a better conference record.
New York also beats Philly in a tiebreaker, but the reason why is a little more complicated. Essentially Philly can catch New York's Division and Conference records, which is what they'd need to do to win the tiebreaker, but in doing so would also ensure they have a better overall record than the Knicks. So it's impossible for New York and Philly to end up on tied records AND have Philly win the tiebreaker.