PDA

View Full Version : Is the NBA season the most poorly scheduled major sport?

shep33
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Remember last year's playoffs and the ridiculous wait between games in the conference finals?

How about the way the NBA schedules the season while its ending. Instead of easing the season down with a lower ratio of games player per day, the NBA seems to do quite the opposite, or am I mistaken? Seems like we get more back to backs during this time of year, and more 4 game stretches in 5 nights and what not. So the question I wanna put out there is does it make sense to do so?

When you have older and younger teams playing a lot of games down the stretch, injury and fatigue tend to become more prevalent. I watched the Lakers play this past week, and I was so utterly upset at their effort. But then I kind of thought about it for a second, they did this last year, and although I don't think they're strategically losing games, I think they're strategically not putting forth a solid effort, because they see the playoffs around the corner. I think it lowers the level of basketball down the stretch of the year, while teams playing more games down the stretch only increase the likelihood of injury. The Lakers nonetheless deserved to lose those games, but it makes you wonder if the schedule of the year was more evenly disperesed, and not trying to cram games in at the end of the season, would we see better quality ball in the postseason?

What happens if Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Rose, Howard, Pierce, etc get injured playing on the 2nd of a back to back, or the last night of a 4th game in 5 days? I really think it's unnecessary for all teams.

Last year's playoffs were pretty ridiculous though, even though Orlando, LA, and Phoenix swept there series, Boston and Cleveland going 6 took far too long to complete. I'd rather have just one day rest between each and every playoff game, outside of game 3 and 5 in the Finals.

RZZZA
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I guess i agree. less games played near the end of the season = less chance for injuries

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah I notice that at the end of the year you play like five games in one week.

shep33
04-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah I notice that at the end of the year you play like five games in one week.

yeah to me, it's pointless an unnecessary

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2011, 08:52 PM
yeah to me, it's pointless an unnecessary

I hate it because it always effects my team.

Jewelz0376
04-08-2011, 09:58 PM
I never really thought about it until I read this thread, but you do make a good point...It seems like they're trying to cram the last 5 -6 games for every team in like a week and a half...

I may be in the minority as far the playoffs go and the scheduling, but I don't really mind it that much...As long as they have at least 2 games on a day I'm good..