PDA

View Full Version : Young Kobe told MJ he could take him one-on-one

Gators123
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28367978

There are a lot of people I look up to in terms of sportswriting. A lot of people that have influenced me, inspired me or maybe even helped me improve. I've met a few of them and one thing I most definitely did not do was immediately say: "I can write a better feature than you."

But I'm not Kobe Bryant. In a whole lot of ways, I'm not Kobe Bryant.

Via the OC Register:

[Phil] Jackson told the story of arranging a first meaningful meeting between Bryant and Michael Jordan in the 2000-01 season, which was filled with Kobe-driven friction after the first championship the previous season. Jackson’s goal was for the learned Jordan to get the eager Bryant “to understand he didn’t have to stray outside the offense” and the Zen idea to “wait till the game presents itself.”

Jackson said Bryant’s first comment to Jordan, however, was: “I can take you one-on-one.”

I think coming from a 22-year-old Kobe, that's not all too shocking. However, if you recall, Kobe said this back in September when asked if he could beat LeBron one-on-one: "I'd win, I'd win. That's what I do. One-on-one is, that's easy for me, you know. Playing one-on-one is how I grew up playing. It's like, my thing. LeBron is more like a Magic Johnson, he's a great passer and plays an all-around game. At the core of me, I'm a one-on-one player. I'd do that in my sleep."

Kobe has never been shy about his talent. Never been afraid to speak up. It's part of what makes him such a confident player and on top of it, such an interesting person to cover and write about.

I mean, set aside how ridiculously cocky it was of him to say something like to M.J. Because come on, that's just stupid, even if you think it's true. But that arrogance is something Kobe has always had about him and the thing is, he's backed it up. Five rings, an MVP, scoring titles and a spot right behind His Airness as the best shooting guard ever.

What I can't believe about this story is though, that Jordan didn't throw off his jacket, grab some sneakers and say, "Alright, let's go."

lol

SteveNash
04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzMWKo0uDu8

shep33
04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
As a Laker fan, I actually like that about Kobe... he's not scared of anyone which is the right attitude to have. Let's be clear though, he respects MJ beyond measure, often saying how he is the GOAT and for people to stop comparing him to MJ.

Also I think prime MJ is unstoppable, haha so even though I love ya kobe i doubt it

Iggz53
04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
He would beat LeBron one on one.

MJ? Eh, don't know about that one.

Avenged
04-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Kobe has never lacked confidence. :)

Doogolas
04-08-2011, 04:44 PM
God that would have been fun to watch.

sammid21
04-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I like Kobes confidence, but in no way would he beat Jordan one on one, i wish Jordan wouldve taken Kobes offer just like he schooled Corey Benjamin when he told him the same thing in 1999

210Don
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM

thanx

and kobe used to talk so fake back then hes really changed.

Gootie42
04-08-2011, 04:50 PM

I hope you aren't trying to say Kobe went toe to toe with Jordan that game...

210Don
04-08-2011, 04:52 PM

jordans 36 to kobes 33 thats pretty good for someone that was so young against a legend lol

PurpleJesus28
04-08-2011, 04:55 PM
i respect Kobe's confidence. i think you need that kind of mentality as an athlete, having confidence in your game and believing your the best. theres a thin line between confidence and cocky and i think many athletes find themselves on the wrong side of it.

not a chance in hell he'd take MJ though.

SteveNash
04-08-2011, 04:55 PM

No, I'm saying Kobe outplayed him as a 19 year old and that Kobe would completely dominate Jordan 2 years later.

Bullsfan22
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
You have to have that kind of confidence to accomplish the things kobe has done over his career. Some peoples confidence is subtle some not so much lol

shep33
04-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I think it'd be funner to watch Kobe and Mike play one on one then some of the NBA Finals since 2000. That would be epic, just cause you know they'd go so hard. MJ would still win IMO though.

redwhitenblue
04-08-2011, 05:06 PM
No, I'm saying Kobe outplayed him as a 19 year old and that Kobe would completely dominate Jordan 2 years later.
Yes, 22 year old Kobe probably takes 38 year old Jordan.

25 year old Kobe vs 25 year old Jordan, eh.

And no, Kobe did not outplay Jordan, and the Bulls won that game by 21. Outscored them in every quarter.
Jordan had 36 on 12-22, 1-2 and 11-12, with 5 rebs and 4 assists.
Kobe had 33 on 12-20, 3-5, 6-9 with 3 rebs and 2 assists

John Walls Era
04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I love this about Kobe. The Kobe then is the same as the Kobe now. Its not immaturity; its confidence: he probably still believes this.

210Don
04-08-2011, 05:14 PM

And no, Kobe did not outplay Jordan, and the Bulls won that game by 21. Outscored them in every quarter.

i dont think were trying to say that he outplayed jordan thats ludacris. the fact that a 19 year old could even hang with him is impressive.

redwhitenblue
04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
i dont think were trying to say that he outplayed jordan thats ludacris. the fact that a 19 year old could even hang with him is impressive.
The quoted poster said Kobe outplayed him.

LakersMaster24
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Note that Kobe played less minutes too.
Prime Jordan vs Prime Kobe one on one?
As much as I love Kobe, you still gotta give it to Jordan. However, I do think that MJ wouldn't be as praised if he played in Kobe's era. With players like Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Dwayne Wade, etc. Because, people always try to find a way how one of those above is better than Mr.Bryant. During Jordans era (1992-1997) in his prime, there weren't as many people that were at his level. It was a relatively weak guard era.

Gootie42
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Seeing as Jordan was playing with a dislocated finger on his shooting hand, was outscoring kobe 27 to 12 at one point, and kobe scored 16 in the 4th during a blowout, I definitely wouldn't say Kobe outplayed him.

cubswin25
04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Any head to head match up is hard to compare the two. It's a big difference then playing one on one. I do really wish that 38 year old Jordan would have said ok Kobe give me your best shot. I think Jordan even then could have beat Kobe. But Jordan probably just laughed him off and said ok kid think that. With how competitive Jordan was I wonder how many one on one games he actually lost. I bet he still can beat his share of Bobcat players, which is why they are saying good stuff about him when he works out with the team.

LakersMaster24
04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Seeing as Jordan was playing with a dislocated finger on his shooting hand, was outscoring kobe 27 to 12 at one point, and kobe scored 16 in the 4th during a blowout, I definitely wouldn't say Kobe outplayed him.

Yet when today, Kobe plays and stays dominant with a ton of different injuries, people seem to ignore that, and say that it isnt such a major factor. Bryant played great last season with a knee injury, his finger problems, back problems, etc. But people seem to forget that.

redwhitenblue
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Note that Kobe played less minutes too.
Prime Jordan vs Prime Kobe one on one?
As much as I love Kobe, you still gotta give it to Jordan. However, I do think that MJ wouldn't be as praised if he played in Kobe's era. With players like Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Dwayne Wade, etc. Because, people always try to find a way how one of those above is better than Mr.Bryant. During Jordans era (1992-1997) in his prime, there weren't as many people that were at his level. It was a relatively weak guard era.
But back then, guards could hand check and fouls weren't called on the weak crap it is today.

LakersMaster24
04-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Any head to head match up is hard to compare the two. It's a big difference then playing one on one. I do really wish that 38 year old Jordan would have said ok Kobe give me your best shot. I think Jordan even then could have beat Kobe. But Jordan probably just laughed him off and said ok kid think that. With how competitive Jordan was I wonder how many one on one games he actually lost. I bet he still can beat his share of Bobcat players, which is why they are saying good stuff about him when he works out with the team.

He would beat ALL of them....Except him:

http://www.nba.com/media/bobcats/media_day_04_071001.jpg

cubswin25
04-08-2011, 05:33 PM
During Jordans era (1992-1997) in his prime, there weren't as many people that were at his level. It was a relatively weak guard era.

Possibly, but it's also a lot easier to score in the NBA these days. Remember you can't hand check these days, and teams aren't allowed to play as physical defensivly(for example late 80s Pistons and 90s Knicks). Jordan in his prime right now could average 35 PPG IMO. Especially with how easily calls are made these days.

LakersMaster24
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
But back then, guards could hand check and fouls weren't called on the weak crap it is today.

Good point, however Jordan always got his share of calls, and that didn't affect him from getting to the free throw line. Also, today for some reason even with all the rules that you would think should make players get to the line more often, Kobe still doesn't get as many calls as he should. Maybe its because he complains too much, but he still doesnt get as many as Durant&Lebron&Wade get.

redwhitenblue
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Possibly, but it's also a lot easier to score in the NBA these days. Remember you can't hand check these days, and teams aren't allowed to play as physical defensivly(for example late 80s Pistons and 90s Knicks). Jordan in his prime right now could score 35 plus per game IMO. Especially with how easily calls are made these days.
Jordan did score 35+ ppg twice in his career.

SteveNash
04-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Kobe came off the bench. Going head to head during the game Kobe outplayed him. I don't see how Jordan dislocated finger has much to do with him getting beat on defense. And more importantly, the injured finger happened because of his flopping and is an excuse for Jordan poor shooting instead because they don't want to admit to Pippen being a great player.

Back then defenders were crap.

cubswin25
04-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Jordan did score 35+ ppg twice in his career.

That's true I didn't remember that because I was too young at the time. But I guess he could have averaged 35 PPG consistently and not had to take 24-27 shots per game to do it.

rabzouz 96
04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

back then, your usual players werent nearly as athletic as todays standard players, so its a give and take

cubswin25
04-08-2011, 05:44 PM

:facepalm: Are you seriously this anti Bulls? It's becoming pretty obvious, because you hate on the current team, and now trying to make bad excuses about the greatest basketball player of all time? You understand that in 98 Jordan was still the best player in the NBA, there's no way Kobe was as good as him then. Or dominated him two years later either. One game when Jordan probably didn't even try to play hard on defense because the Bulls won that game easily is a very poor example.

L@ker4Life
04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
It's irrelevant who wins that game.

The relevant thing is that both believed that there isn't a player in the world who can beat them mano-y-mano. Thats the mentality that has made both great and legends.

I love it.

Who would win?? well it depends if its make it take it. Cause if it is, whoever gets the ball first wins! haha

L@ker4Life
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
:facepalm: Are you seriously this anti Bulls? It's becoming pretty obvious, because you hate on the current team, and now trying to make bad excuses about the greatest basketball player of all time? You understand that in 98 Jordan was still the best player in the NBA, there's no way Kobe could have beat him then. One game when Jordan probably didn't even try to play hard on defense because the Bulls won that game easily is a very poor example.

You're calling him bias, then you are bias yourself in your response!??!:facepalm:

redwhitenblue
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
:facepalm: Are you seriously this anti Bulls? It's becoming pretty obvious, because you hate on the current team, and now trying to make bad excuses about the greatest basketball player of all time? You understand that in 98 Jordan was still the best player in the NBA, there's no way Kobe could have beat him then. One game when Jordan probably didn't even try to play hard on defense because the Bulls won that game easily is a very poor example.
Yeah, that game was out of reach early, Jordan had no reason to push it on D with an already injured hand.

LakersMaster24
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Whatever it is, we can all agree that we were all lucky to see such an amazing talent, the GOAT, Michael Jordan. And we are lucky enough NOW to see the closest thing to MJ ever. Kobe Bryant.

BEST GUARDS OF ALL TIME. THEY HAD/HAVE THE SKILL, THE MENTALITY, THE AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS.

MJ23 #1
KB24 #1b

cubswin25
04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
You're calling him bias, then you are bias yourself in your response!??!:facepalm:

How is my answer bias it's a fact. Jordan averaged over 28 PPG, was the league MVP and the Finals MVP that year. While Kobe averaged 15 PPG off the bench for the Lakers. What's bias about the facts? Jordan was a better basketball player in 1998 that's a fact. So for someone to say other wise is being wrong and bias. Thinking Jordan would get dominated two years later is probably a bit off as well, but I guess talking about who would win is up for debate. But IMO Jordan at 36 wouldn't been that much different then 34 year old Jordan who was the MVP.

SteveNash
04-08-2011, 05:57 PM
:facepalm: Are you seriously this anti Bulls? It's becoming pretty obvious, because you hate on the current team, and now trying to make bad excuses about the greatest basketball player of all time? You understand that in 98 Jordan was still the best player in the NBA, there's no way Kobe was as good as him then. Or dominated him two years later either. One game when Jordan probably didn't even try to play hard on defense because the Bulls won that game easily is a very poor example.

I'm a realist. Defense was crap back then.

The one game doesn't prove Kobe's better than Jordan, but I think it proves that Kobe could beat Jordan 1 on 1. People think I hate Rose or AI, but I think both could beat Kobe 1 on 1. Not because I think they're superior or even equal to Kobe, but because I don't view Kobe as some untouchable god.

RaiderLakersA's
04-08-2011, 05:57 PM
All of the best that I've ever seen play were cocky that way. In every sport. Well, everyone except for maybe Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. Those blokes usually showed their skills on the field without much being said.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Allen Iverson said the same thing when he was 10 years old.

Lim
the nba should make a 1v1 tourney during all star break. 16 player single elim or something. imagine kobe vs lebron in the finals? ratings would be through the roof.

LakersMaster24
I'm a realist. Defense was crap back then.

The one game doesn't prove Kobe's better than Jordan, but I think it proves that Kobe could beat Jordan 1 on 1. People think I hate Rose or AI, but I think both could beat Kobe 1 on 1. Not because I think they're superior or even equal to Kobe, but because I don't view Kobe as some untouchable god.

Thats the only reason I hate Jordan fans. They view him as an untouchable god.

j11430
04-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Thats the only reason I hate Jordan fans. They view him as an untouchable god.

that's because he is.... ;)

John Walls Era
04-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Allen Iverson said the same thing when he was 10 years old.
LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3X274lz3wY)

ManRam
04-08-2011, 06:28 PM
That's the type of attitude you need to be as good as Kobe and MJ were and in Kobe's case still is.

I haven't read this thread...but Jordan shouldn't be an untouchable god, and does get a bit more love than he should do to media attention, off-the court marketing and the whole Jordan Brand, but he is clearly on a level that Kobe has never gotten to, and won't ever get to :shrug: No matter how you spin it.

theheatles
04-08-2011, 06:54 PM
81 :yawn:

Dankster
04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Pretty simple--Jordan is the better shooter, has a better turn around/fadeaway game, better defender...If Kobe plays 1 on 1 in his sleep, Jordan has been doing it since he was in his momma's womb..the guy had a 1 on 1 video game for god sakes (jordan vs bird.)

I despise the guy greatly (I'm a die hard knicks fan,) but you really can't have a thread comparing these 2 anymore...Jordan went to the finals 6 times and won all 6 of them. To me, that identifies a killer trait that I've never seen anyone come close to emulating... Kobe is a great player, Michael is the greatest....

LakersMaster24
04-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Pretty simple--Jordan is the better shooter, has a better turn around/fadeaway game, better defender...If Kobe plays 1 on 1 in his sleep, Jordan has been doing it since he was in his momma's womb..the guy had a 1 on 1 video game for god sakes (jordan vs bird.)

I despise the guy greatly (I'm a die hard knicks fan,) but you really can't have a thread comparing these 2 anymore...Jordan went to the finals 6 times and won all 6 of them. To me, that identifies a killer trait that I've never seen anyone come close to emulating... Kobe is a great player, Michael is the greatest....

IMO Kobe is a better scorer.
Jordan is a more consistent scorer, and a more overall player.

Draco
04-08-2011, 09:44 PM
young Kobe got in a heap of trouble too didn't he.

albertc86
04-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Offensively, I'd give the edge to Kobe. Defensively, I'd give it to Jordan, but then again, Jordan had Pippen as help --- Artest doesn't compare at his age so don't use it. It would've been an epic showdown to see Jordan and Kobe go at it one-on-one.

I believe that Jordan faced better team defense in his day but Kobe has faced better individual defense; that's just my opinion. For example, you don't think Kobe would've been able to dominate John Starks? Come on now... Kobe would've lit that boy up too.

Supa
04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
2000-2001 season ... Jordan was 37-38 yrs old, come on Kobe ... be respectful to your elders.

Maybe when Kobe was 19 and Jordan was 34. That would be a good one on one to watch.

---

Supa
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Back then, the average shooting percentage was higher, and zone defense was illegal. Players had more room to operate.

---

GREATNESS ONE
04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
What do you expect him to say? This is one of the greatest warriors this game has ever seen.

jzero
04-08-2011, 10:47 PM

yeh good for kobe
lets say hypothetically kobe in his prime vs jordan in his prime?
what then?:rolleyes:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Lol.

mttwlsn16
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
he was a young kid with confidence...i dont see the problem

GREATNESS ONE
04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
yeh good for kobe

The Greatest ONE vs ONE game of all time.

GREATNESS ONE
04-08-2011, 11:10 PM
yeh good for kobe

The Greatest ONE vs ONE game of all time.

_KB24_
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I have no problem with saying this, but I think Kobe could beat Jordan 1-on-1. No one to pass to, no fouls leading to free-throws, and no other stats to look upon. Points are all that matters and I would feel fairly confident in the outcome.

albertc86
04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Like Jordan, Kobe could come out and start 0-10 and still finish with 30+ points at the end of the game. People need to stop deifying Jordan like the man never missed a shot or never went through shooting slumps like anyone else. If you based your argument based on stats when comparing the two then that's where I stop listening. Yes, Jordan's shooting numbers are better but doesn't mean he was a better shooter/scorer; these are two different arguments in itself. Kobe's midrange is just as great as Jordan's and Kobe is clearly the better perimeter shooter. Jordan wasn't known for having range.

Lu's Dynasty
04-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Possibly, but it's also a lot easier to score in the NBA these days. Remember you can't hand check these days, and teams aren't allowed to play as physical defensivly(for example late 80s Pistons and 90s Knicks). Jordan in his prime right now could average 35 PPG IMO. Especially with how easily calls are made these days.

Jordan in his prime would average 40 a game every year in this league with these rules and the lack of dominant centers and big men defending the paint.

heatking
04-09-2011, 12:17 AM
22 y/o kobe vs 38 y/o mj? I dont see why kobe couldnt win... Both in their prime, give me MJ.

nickdymez
04-09-2011, 12:46 AM

Kobe won a chip with a dislocated finger... Just sayin... lol... But this is why Kobe is one of my favorite players. But he wasn't beating jordan... lol

heatking
04-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Lmao some ofyou act like kobe is a scrub, kobe is top 5 of all time, on any night he could beat mj both in their prime 1vs1. Its all about how their feeling, as a player we all know mj is the goat, but yall cant come and say mj would flatout kill kobe.

AIRMAR72
04-09-2011, 02:55 AM
He would beat ALL of them....Except him:

http://www.nba.com/media/bobcats/media_day_04_071001.jpg

you can easily tell you never saw MJ played and your YOUNG and dont even play the game YOURSELF to understand what it TAKES be like mike and do the things he DID the WAY he did the comp he faced off against ive been waiting since he first retired for a player to be better or close and im still waiting NON OF TODAYs players got nothing on JORDAN and PIP OVERALL game with your fairytale post

AIRMAR72
04-09-2011, 03:01 AM
I have no problem with saying this, but I think Kobe could beat Jordan 1-on-1. No one to pass to, no fouls leading to free-throws, and no other stats to look upon. Points are all that matters and I would feel fairly confident in the outcome.

com on man are you SERIOUS..ARE MENTAL

AIRMAR72
04-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Offensively, I'd give the edge to Kobe. Defensively, I'd give it to Jordan, but then again, Jordan had Pippen as help --- Artest doesn't compare at his age so don't use it. It would've been an epic showdown to see Jordan and Kobe go at it one-on-one.

I believe that Jordan faced better team defense in his day but Kobe has faced better individual defense; that's just my opinion. For example, you don't think Kobe would've been able to dominate John Starks? Come on now... Kobe would've lit that boy up too.

if you want me to list you some players from the past who I KNOW kobe would problem going against i can TOBE i meant kobe played good D his 1st 6yrs in the league but makes 1st team every yr(never was a lockdown defender never) thank goodness for being a LAKER.. jordan at kobe age was 100x better on D THE nu BREED OF PLAYERS BLOWING by kobe these days it seems to be routine KOBE HIS style was similar to carmelo on D but kobe played with more energy PIPPIN IS 100X BETTER than kobe its a FACT

AIRMAR72
04-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Like Jordan, Kobe could come out and start 0-10 and still finish with 30+ points at the end of the game. People need to stop deifying Jordan like the man never missed a shot or never went through shooting slumps like anyone else. If you based your argument based on stats when comparing the two then that's where I stop listening. Yes, Jordan's shooting numbers are better but doesn't mean he was a better shooter/scorer; these are two different arguments in itself. Kobe's midrange is just as great as Jordan's and Kobe is clearly the better perimeter shooter. Jordan wasn't known for having range.
albert you sound SLOW let me you something jordan had range ask anybody who practice with him or saw him work and they tell you timmy when he was young was automatic bank shooter howard likes to dunk well jordan like to shoot his midrange(which was automatic)like westbrook and lamarcus

BALLER R
04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
didnt phil jackson say kobe was the better shooter between the two.I think he would know. Jordan would be Kobe i agree with that but I think kobe is the better scorer

Vee-Rex
04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Phil said Kobe was the better shooter. He said Jordan had a better finish in the paint. I think Jordan is the GOAT, but I'd say Kobe is the 2nd best shooting guard to ever play.

Kobe is amazing, but lets not get into this again please. It's absolutely senseless to post youtube videos of Kobe scoring on Jordan because I can easily do the same for the opposite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLVfougACiQ

See? That still proves nothing and it's silly to post stuff like that to support your argument.

Hell, if Jordan didn't teach Kobe how to perfect the fadeaway he probably wouldn't be as good as he is now. Kobe watched a lot of Jordan and implemented Jordan's game into his own. Can you blame him? It'll suck to see Kobe retire since he's the closest thing to Jordan and that style of play will become a lost art.

mikealike305
04-09-2011, 11:30 AM
of course kobe could beat him, and mj can beat kobe.

TylerSL
04-09-2011, 12:24 PM
no he couldnt

Also, I am not trying to start anything, but why does everybody say "I respect Kobe's confidence", but if Lebron were to say this everybody would say "Lebron is just an arrogant douche". I would just like to know why that is.

SoxBearsBulls!
04-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Kobe came off the bench. Going head to head during the game Kobe outplayed him. I don't see how Jordan dislocated finger has much to do with him getting beat on defense. And more importantly, the injured finger happened because of his flopping and is an excuse for Jordan poor shooting instead because they don't want to admit to Pippen being a great player.

No offense but that's about the dumbest quote I've read here in PSD...I bet you are like 17 years old huh?
Ever heard of Dennis Johnson, Joe Dumars, Michael Cooper, Danny Ainge, Steve Smith, Ro Blackman, Stacey Augmon, Gerald Wilkins, John Starks, Mo Cheeks, Alvin Robertson, Gary Payton, Sidney Moncrief, Derek Harper...get a clue.

valade16
04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
of course kobe could beat him, and mj can beat kobe.

This is true, but it's also a cop-out. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting MJ would be Kobe every single time they play but rather was implying if they played 10 or 100 games of 1 on 1 that MJ would win more of them than Kobe...

I say MJ woukd take 7 games out of 10, maybe 6, but more than Kobe.

Gators123
04-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I would of been fun to see, thats for sure.

hgtiger32
04-09-2011, 02:21 PM
we have to stop comparing everyone to MJ. There's no player like MJ. I'm not saying that there aren't players who aren't as good as MJ like Kobe but we just can't compare players to MJ anymore. No contest.

FOBolous
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Jordan averaged 28 pts, 6 rebs, 5 assists, and 2 steals as a rookie. he was a superstar literally right out the gate. can ANY player brag that they were a superstar right away when they enter the leage? he than proceed to average 37 ppg after only two years.

Kobe? Kobe couldn't do what Jordan did as a rookie until his 5th year in the NBA. And Kobe didn't average 30 ppg until his 7th years in the league.

c'mon guys...it's not even close. Jordan is better than Kobe...hands down.

C-Style
04-09-2011, 04:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^

To be fair, Kobe was a young 17yr star who came into the league already being compared to Jordan, yes Jordan the GOAT... Specially in a era when it was unheard of for a guard to come in from high school and being able to play vs men... He came off the Bench and was a huge buzz.

BTW averages don't mean shyt.. just means 1 player took more shots than the other... but If u wanna compare by age then Kobe is more comparable to Jordan than what ur mapping it out to be. So don't sit there and try to sell us this bs about how Kobe was not capable of scoring over 30..he was very capable.

LakersMaster24
04-09-2011, 05:25 PM
you can easily tell you never saw MJ played and your YOUNG and dont even play the game YOURSELF to understand what it TAKES be like mike and do the things he DID the WAY he did the comp he faced off against ive been waiting since he first retired for a player to be better or close and im still waiting NON OF TODAYs players got nothing on JORDAN and PIP OVERALL game with your fairytale post

Chill there bud. Dont take everything up the ....
You sound like the biggest Jordan Fanboy. Take it easy.

FOBolous
04-09-2011, 05:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^

To be fair, Kobe was a young 17yr star who came into the league already being compared to Jordan, yes Jordan the GOAT... Specially in a era when it was unheard of for a guard to come in from high school and being able to play vs men... He came off the Bench and was a huge buzz.

BTW averages don't mean shyt.. just means 1 player took more shots than the other... but If u wanna compare by age then Kobe is more comparable to Jordan than what ur mapping it out to be. So don't sit there and try to sell us this bs about how Kobe was not capable of scoring over 30..he was very capable.

lol you're just saying that because you know Kobe will never be able to averaged 37 ppg no matter how hard he tries. doesn't matter anyways. Jordan averaged more ppg than Kobe even when they took the same amount of shots. Jordan averaged 35 ppg when he averaged 24 shots a game while Kobe only averaged 30 ppg. the season Jordan averaged 27 shots a game...he averaged 37 ppg while Kobe averaged only 35 ppg during the season when he averaged the same amount of shot.

albertc86
04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
albert you sound SLOW let me you something jordan had range ask anybody who practice with him or saw him work and they tell you timmy when he was young was automatic bank shooter howard likes to dunk well jordan like to shoot his midrange(which was automatic)like westbrook and lamarcus

I sound slow? Lol. Do you read what you write? You sound young. My guess is your memory of actual Jordan footage is limited and you're resorting to youtube, right? And no, Jordan was not known for having that great of a perimeter game. I'd use his 3-point contest performance as an example but that would be unfair to him and it wasn't a true measure of his shooting capabilities. I don't think you would've extended Kobe the same courtesy, though, based on your weak arguments, but hey... No way was Jordan's perimeter shooting better than Kobe's. Phil has even said it as others have mentioned.

If you're this big basketball fan, wouldn't you appreciate a great player or give credit where credit is due?

Saad
04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Why are we comparing the two?

It just shows that Kobe had amazing confidence in his game and as a 17 year old kid he was a little cocky as well. I love it.

Young and Stupid
04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Let's not forget how good "Young Kobe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZZwM1NSWI)" was. He definitely rivaled Jordan in terms of scoring ability.

Hopefully, if you're a Kobe fan then you've seen that mix before, but if you haven't I advise that you check it out.

championships
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Never have to worry about the confidence Kobe has in his game.

championships
04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Let's not forget how good "Young Kobe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZZwM1NSWI)" was. He definitely rivaled Jordan in terms of scoring ability.

Hopefully, if you're a Kobe fan then you've seen that mix before, but if you haven't I advise that you check it out.

No. 8 was a bad man.

KG2TB
04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Just the fact that Kobe can have his name in the discussion with Jordan impressive....he fails short by a good bit...but c'mon...his name could realistically be discussed with MJ....lotta props...pretty much as good as you could hope for. I hate saying 'never' and that we'll 'never' see a player who could match Jordan...but I can't see it. It's as close to never as possible

Gram
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Be cool to watch.

Bishnoff
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
If you don't think you are the best at something, you can never perform at your peak.

AIRMAR72
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
i have no problem with kobe saying what he said as a player you have to believe in yourself and skill but we talking ABOUT jordan and even back than and NOW there IS ONE like him(i played against him) look kobe had a hard time beating out eddie jones in practice(thats why they trade jones) it took kobe sometime to adjust he never came in the league and dominant like Bron,Wade,Roy,Durant Melo,Rose,Iverson he was on very good team SINCE DAY 1 which made it easier for kobe to shine and showed at some ability to be one of the greats but the guys i listed change there franchise with average talents PLUS THERE BETTER than kobe

S-Dot
04-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Im pretty sure 33 year old Kobe isnt going to lead the Lakers to a 72 win season like 33 year old Jordan did without dominant big men.

Kobe is great for his time, and may remind us of Jordan a little, but he's his own player.

rjc33020
04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Derrick Rose bailed out his team again due to the scrubs around um. I see how this playoff go be 4 these 1st round knockouts. Doesn't look promising for these guys. Face it, it's playoff time and his team around um hasn't proven to be productive. Magic exposed um with no howard. They held the bench but could hold rose and Noah, let's just say rebounds is not going to get it. He has to score in the postseason and so does boozer but all season long, they have been laying down or on their backs with suits on. Down in miami, heat has 3 stars combining for over 50 points a game, bulls have 1 star putting up all the points. Jordan had reliable sources in the playoffs, this bulls team has relaiable sources in the season. Just playing garbage teams to make um look good. Believe it or not, one person scoring poses a huge problem. The bench is not what many make it to be.

Raidaz4Life
04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't know if he could have taken him but it definitely would have been a fun game to watch. If I could watch any two players go 1 vs 1 in their primes it would be those two.

knightstemplar
04-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Im pretty sure 33 year old Kobe isnt going to lead the Lakers to a 72 win season like 33 year old Jordan did without dominant big men.

Kobe is great for his time, and may remind us of Jordan a little, but he's his own player.

he just had 2 hall of famers (pippen, rodman)
rodman in 96, 14.9 rebounds in 32.6 minutes per game!

SteveNash
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM

I'm pretty sure Kobe had far more miles on his knees than Jordan did at 33.

I'm also pretty sure no one could lead a team to 72 wins in this era. You have to remember Jordan played in the watered down era of expansion in the NBA when the Bulls won 72 games.

knicks4life33
04-12-2011, 06:25 PM
kobe said ir did alot stupid things when he was young

360CLIKERS
04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Maybe no, maybe yes!