PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Marc Stein post's his ballot (MVP COY ROY DPOY 6th etc)

JordansBulls
04-08-2011, 01:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110408-10/nba-awards

First team
F: LeBron James
F: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Dwight Howard
G: Derrick Rose
G: Kobe Bryant

Second team
F: Kevin Durant
F: Amare Stoudemire
C: Pau Gasol
G: Dwyane Wade
G: Chris Paul

Third team
F: Paul Pierce
F: Zach Randolph
C: Tim Duncan
G: Russell Westbrook
G: Tony Parker

MVP

Stein's ballot

1. Rose
2. Howard
3. James
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Dirk Nowitzki

October prediction: Kevin Durant

COY

Stein's ballot
1. Karl
2. Thibodeau
3. Collins

October prediction: Jerry Sloan

ROY

Stein's ballot
1. Griffin
2. Wall
3. Cousins

October prediction: John Wall

6th man

Stein's ballot
1. Odom
2. Terry
3. Gortat

October prediction: Lamar Odom

DPOY

Stein's ballot
1. Howard
2. Garnett
3. Bogut

October prediction: Dwight Howard

MIP

Stein's ballot
1. Love
2. Aldridge
3. Humphries

October prediction: James Harden

RZZZA
04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Karl over Thibs, interesting choice. Hey, Karl has done a great job, no complaints here. Too bad they can only give out one award because multiple coaches deserve it this year.

Nice to see Humphries getting some love too, from someone other than kim kardashian

Crackadalic
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont agree with COY and his ALL team nba

theheatles
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
interesting that he doesn't have melo on any all nba team

TopsyTurvy
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I love the Karl pick.

I don't think Thibs deserves COY and I want everyone in the Bulls organization to take home as much silverware as possible.

John Walls Era
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Its decent.

Klivlend
04-08-2011, 01:27 PM

didn't waste much time, here we go...

GeekInThePink
04-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Solid list, love seeing Kris Humphries on the MIP list, dude's been a rebounding machine for the Nets.

Cubs Win
04-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I agree with most of his picks but I still have Collins/Thibs ahead of Karl and Deron Williams ahead of Westbrook still for this year.

GREATNESS ONE
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I think he nailed pretty much everything, I could see a difference here and there but overall he's got it locked up.

Shkelqim
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I think he nailed pretty much everything, I could see a difference here and there but overall he's got it locked up.

couldn't of said it better:D

Slimsim
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
thibs is coach of the year Don't need a expert to see that

Avenged
04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Agree to disagree.

Odom feeling that love. :)

ManRam
04-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I will always maintain that Thibs for COTY is more of a must than Rose as MVP. Both are absolutely 100% worthy and should win, but Thibs deserves it more, if that's possible. No disrespect to Karl, because he's done a great job with everything he's had to handle, but the tangible reason the Bulls are so much better I think can most easily be traced back to Thibs, and their improvement as a team is so much better.

The rest is 100% fine with me.

acehole
04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
No Melo on the all NBA teams? thats a joke.

Bullsfan22
04-08-2011, 02:03 PM
In my honest opinion wade is being snubbed at the guard spot. It's a tough choice but I wouldn't feel slighted If Rose on the second team instead of wade.

I get the feeling people forget how great of a player Wade is...

You can make a case for pop,thibs,collins and Karl for coach of the year.

pebloemer
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Randolph getting some love from the media? That's new.

I think he nailed the MIP votes perfectly. No need to reward second year players for natural progression.

Double_R
04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
DH for MVP. Thibs for COY. and PP over Melo(interesting)

Chi City23
04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I will always maintain that Thibs for COTY is more of a must than Rose as MVP. Both are absolutely 100% worthy and should win, but Thibs deserves it more, if that's possible. No disrespect to Karl, because he's done a great job with everything he's had to handle, but the tangible reason the Bulls are so much better I think can most easily be traced back to Thibs, and their improvement as a team is so much better.

The rest is 100% fine with me.

Thibs job has been much easier than the hand that Karl was dealt this year. When you have your superstar player buy in to a system, it's much easier for the rest of the team to follow and it makes coaching so much easier. Look at what the Nuggets have had to go through and look where they are now.. to me personally that is more impressive than what Thibs has done this year.

RZZZA
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Thibs job has been much easier than the hand that Karl was dealt this year. When you have your superstar player buy in to a system, it's much easier for the rest of the team to follow and it makes coaching so much easier. Look at what the Nuggets have had to go through and look where they are now.. to me personally that is more impressive than what Thibs has done this year.

what about the fact that Karl and Collins have only been doing great for half the season, while Thibs has done great the whole season?

da1nonlydre16
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
In my honest opinion wade is being snubbed at the guard spot. It's a tough choice but I wouldn't feel slighted If Rose on the second team instead of wade.

i def think Rose deserves that spot guard spot, but i think Wade should have the other, ppl def forgot how great of a player he is since Lebron's #s are so beastly, but Wade is right behind him, Kobe should be on the second team but we'll see how it goes

Mc Uncle Cola
Finally Humphries gettin some love this is the first list iv seen with him on it..hes should get it IMO..Love has always been solid in his short career

ayuntalo
Thibs should win COY no doubt.
its defense that made chicago a good team this year and he brought it to chicago.
i dont buy much into Karl as COY, they got a lot of good players in the melo trade and thats the reason they are winning post melo. their team can be split in two teams and still be competing. Gallo, Chandler, Felton and even Mozgov are good players and can start in most teams

Cano4prez
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
No Melo on the all NBA teams? thats a joke.

Not really.

Evolution23
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
So Paul Pierce is better than Melo now?

Baller1
04-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't think Rose should be over Wade, but he's the MVP this year so it's not that big of a deal.

And Durant should be over Dirk. Otherwise, it's a solid list.

godolphins
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Thibs should/will be coach of the year, Wade should be on the All Nba first team but will most likely be on the 2nd team and Melo will be on the All Nba third team

Jewelz0376
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Pretty good list...I don't have a problem with Dirk over Durant, but I'd be surprised if Durant isn't on 1st team when all nba team is actually announced...Same with Melo not being on 2nd or 3rd team....

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Just thought about the Geore Karl COY of the year choice. I think he kinda deserves it now because of th Melo situation and had just beaten cancer last year.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Would have put Rondo on the third team. I think some writers might have him there.

jtsunami
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't think Rose should be over Wade, but he's the MVP this year so it's not that big of a deal.

And Durant should be over Dirk. Otherwise, it's a solid list.

I'd probably agree with this. But I'd rather they go back to the PG/SG/SF/PF/C format than 2 G/2 F/C format. If you eliminate the need to have a PG, why keep the C? PFs have shown to take that responsibility, ex. - Amare or the USA Olympic Teams.

Just saying, if you are eliminating positions, why not just make it the 5 best players regardless of position? That or go back to the standard format.

You don't see the MLB selecting all-stars by IF/OF/C/P. Or the NFL by OL instead of OT/OG/C etc. It's stupid.

Doogolas
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
So Paul Pierce is better than Melo now?

He absolutely is and he has been for years. Paul Pierce is a stud. Offensively, and defensively. He is one of the most efficient players in the league on the offensive end and one of the best defenders at his position. His overall game most definitely dwarfs Melo's.

Baller1
04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I'd probably agree with this. But I'd rather they go back to the PG/SG/SF/PF/C format than 2 G/2 F/C format. If you eliminate the need to have a PG, why keep the C? PFs have shown to take that responsibility, ex. - Amare or the USA Olympic Teams.

Just saying, if you are eliminating positions, why not just make it the 5 best players regardless of position? That or go back to the standard format.

You don't see the MLB selecting all-stars by IF/OF/C/P. Or the NFL by OL instead of OT/OG/C etc. It's stupid.

True, but it does leave it more open for the actual top 5 making it. Take KD and Lebron for example. It's pretty obvious that they're going to be the two best SF's for a long time, and the majority believes that they're two of the top 5 players (better than all the PF's in the league). So I'm alright with the position generalizations.

jtsunami
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
It's in my opinion that PG is the most different of the positions. And I think SG and SF are the most similar. I'd rather have PG/2Wings/2Posts. PG and SG are very, very different.

mikealike305

this but i feel rose should be there with wade not kobe. but its kobe. he'll keep getting 1st team til hes done

marvILLous
durant should be on the 1st team over dirk, especially if okc ends up with the 3rd seed

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
He absolutely is and he has been for years. Paul Pierce is a stud. Offensively, and defensively. He is one of the most efficient players in the league on the offensive end and one of the best defenders at his position. His overall game most definitely dwarfs Melo's.

damn thats a good post.

:clap:

THE MTL
04-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree for most part except a few things.

6th man of year shouldnt be Odom. Cause of injuries he actually started for 34 games. That roughly half the season as a starter. Also at over 32mpg.....its just TOO MANY minutes to be considered a sixth man in my book.

No Carmelo Anthony! You have Paul Pierce and Zach Randolph over Melo??? HELL NO!

Tony Parker over Deron Williams? Even though, Deron Williams got traded to a bad team, he instantly changed the culture a bit and had the team on a nice track at one point.

tredigs
04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Some hot-topic issues I definitely disagree with (Rose on first team over Wade), but nothing too glaring.

I will say that ommission wise, I'd be curious how Boston fans felt about having Garnett on the third team over Pierce in that forward slot? I think he has a case.

Both deserve it over Melo.

blake20696
04-08-2011, 06:30 PM
i find it funny the only people complaining about melo not being on there are knick fans. no one else has even brought it up.

Sixerlover
04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I agree for most part except a few things.

6th man of year shouldnt be Odom. Cause of injuries he actually started for 34 games. That roughly half the season as a starter. Also at over 32mpg.....its just TOO MANY minutes to be considered a sixth man in my book.

No Carmelo Anthony! You have Paul Pierce and Zach Randolph over Melo??? HELL NO!

Tony Parker over Deron Williams? Even though, Deron Williams got traded to a bad team, he instantly changed the culture a bit and had the team on a nice track at one point.

I hear you on Paul Pierce, but Zach Randolph hasn't played better than Melo this year?

Sixerlover
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
All in all his lists were pretty good. Karl was a shocker, and same with Garnett #2 in DPOY. It's funny looking at some of his before the year predictions and watching how he was slobbering over OKC.

The entire country was.

Hustlenomics
04-08-2011, 06:40 PM
lol @ not having Thibs get coach of the year. I'll credit him for not having Big Baby anywhere near that 6th man of the year award. He's horrible

TO to the CHI
04-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Would have put Rondo on the third team. I think some writers might have him there.

I agree with this and I would certainly vote him on ahead of Parker. However, I would have put DWill on ahead of both of them. I think Rondo's deteriorating numbers in February-April have really hurt him for things like this. His shooting numbers have plummeted and his assists have obviously also declined a fair amount. I also suspect that he only cares about winning, so if it turns around for the Cs in the playoffs, I am certain he won't lose any sleep about not being on the All NBA teams.

sixer04fan
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
The second team is very comparable to the first team. I wouldn't be surprised if they could beat the first team

dob_telescope
04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
I have to disagree with Love at MIP... The only way he improved is the rest of his team has regressed. In my mind you have to go with LaMarcus Aldridge he is carrying his team to the playoffs can either of the other listed players say that. Love got the allstar bid it is time for LA to get some love.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure who I would replace him with(lots of candidates), but I don't view Zach Randolph as All-NBA material. He has had a tremendous season, but his lack of "team-ball" always rubbed me the wrong way in Portland, and he hasn't changed much in Memphis really.

Sync
04-08-2011, 07:47 PM
No love for the Moose.

heyman321
04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
omg!!! Melo should TOTALLY be on an all NBA team. He is averaging 2 more ppg and 1 more rebound!!! He came in and made the Knicks worse, so he REALLY deserves it!

Anyways, Amare deserves 2nd team. Carmelo Anthony -- hahahhahahahah

naps
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Wade isn't on the first team? That would be the biggest joke if it really happened. He's absolutely an underrated player when it comes to all these All NBA stuff, if not the most underrated. People have always forgotten how great of a player Wade is. Thanks god Wade himself doesn't care about all these BS as much as other superstars do. It feels good to be a fan of the most unselfish superstar.

Dom A N8 U
04-08-2011, 07:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110408-10/nba-awards

MVP

COY

ROY

6th man

DPOY

MIP

While I agree with most of what he said, Pau should be a Second Team Forward and Tim Duncan should be the second team Center, With Andrew Bynum being the third team Center, we all have seen the impact he has on the lakers, he definitly deserves to be on the third team. I would Move Amare to the third team and take Zach Randolph off of the list completely. Winning is what matteres most, look at Bynum and Duncans numbers almost Identical and Bynum plays a little less, if Duncan is on a team so is Bynum, especially this year..

Rapsjaysleafs
04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
While I agree with most of what he said, Pau should be a Second Team Forward and Tim Duncan should be the second team Center, With Andrew Bynum being the third team Center, we all have seen the impact he has on the lakers, he definitly deserves to be on the third team. I would Move Amare to the third team and take Zach Randolph off of the list completely. Winning is what matteres most, look at Bynum and Duncans numbers almost Identical and Bynum plays a little less, if Duncan is on a team so is Bynum, especially this year..

Fisher should be the starting point guard as well right!
Take off those goggles my friend!

I know Kobe is one of the greatest players any of us will ever get a chance to see (I am 23 and was a little young for MJ) but I truthfully believe that Wade should be on the 1st team instead of Kobe. Not trying to disrespect AT ALL because what he does and has done is AMAZING, but Wade is for sure more deserving.

jzero
04-08-2011, 10:51 PM

why?
lebron, durant, nowitzki, gasol, stoudemire, randolph, aldridge have all done more for their teams
hell i wud say put love up there

sargon21
04-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Thibs has got to be COY.

MJ-BULLS
04-09-2011, 01:15 AM
I agree with everything else. except......thibs has to be COY.

I even have coach Collins ahead of karl.

mttwlsn16
04-09-2011, 01:23 AM
psh...no love for EJ as MIP

ball4reel
04-09-2011, 02:00 AM
omg!!! Melo should TOTALLY be on an all NBA team. He is averaging 2 more ppg and 1 more rebound!!! He came in and made the Knicks worse, so he REALLY deserves it!

Anyways, Amare deserves 2nd team. Carmelo Anthony -- hahahhahahahah

So A 6 game winning streak and he made them worse???REALLY?????:facepalm:

Kyben36
04-09-2011, 02:03 AM
only reason I dont like Carl over thibs is their record. not opposed to it, but the bulls record should help thibs out more.

ball4reel
04-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Thibs for COY, 1st in the eastern conference is big considering most bulls fans would have been satisfied with the 4th spot.

Lakerhead4ever
04-09-2011, 02:48 AM
how is melo not on here? he is being overlooked simply bcuz of his decision to leave denver. its not fair at all. ppl forget the damage he has done. smh!

pierce over melo? doubt it

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Those are all reasonable picks. I got no beef with any. I dont agree with some, but there are clear and reasonable arguements to be made for each of his choices.

HOWEVER: RONDO NEEDS to be mentioned in DPOY. I'd give the award to him, but hte fact that he isnt even in the dude's list? There something wrong there.

Gators123
04-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Solid list, I guess.

BUCSFORLIFE123
04-09-2011, 10:00 PM
theres only two coaches worthy of being mentioned for coach of the year and thats popovich and Thibodeau. No one in their wildest dreams would have thought the spurs would have the best record in the west adding in the fact spurs dont even have at least a top 7 talent in the NBA. also adding the fact that popovich changed their style of play to a more uptempo offense is light years ahead of what many coaches can do. Thibodeau on the other hand in his first year has led the bulls to the best record in the East, hes truly a bright coach regardless of the talent on the team, hes using them right . every year coaches who do somethin unexpected wins.. why not give the award to the best coaches of the year?