PDA

View Full Version : Which 6-8 Seed in the East & West poses the biggest post season threat?

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Well guys, it is a simple question. Which team in the East out of New York, Philadelphia and Indiana poses the greatest threat in the playoffs and why? What about the West with Portland, Memphis & New Orleans?

Finally, What about out of all of them? Which team is the biggest threat in the post season and why?

xbrackattackx
04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Philly and Portland are both scary match ups.

JordansBulls
Knicks easily.

If Roy were back to 2009 form, it would be the Blazers.

Slimsim
Between Philly or NY in the EAst

Portland out West

Khalifa21
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
East: Knicks
West: Blazers

Overall: Knicks

SteBO
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
In the east - New York(not even close)
In the west - Portland(not even close either)

New York was the easy pick for one reason and one reason only. They have two superstars, and you can call him old if you want, but Chauncey Billups is a playoff point guard, and a 5-time All-Star.

Portland is a tough out for any of the top 3 seeds in the west. Especially now with Brandon Roy starting to look like the Roy of old, and Lamarcus Aldridges' major improvement as a player, probably should have made the All-Star team this year. Plus, they're a very good home team.

Overall, the Knicks are the biggest threat in that regard.

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Knicks easily.

If Roy were back to 2009 form, it would be the Blazers.

You think the 76ers could pose a challenge? I think the should not be overlooked and perhaps are a better team than the Knicks right now.

Niro
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
ny

gotoHcarolina52
04-08-2011, 11:32 AM
None of those teams are legitimate threats. At best, they may get lucky and force a sixth game.

northsid3r
Portland

BaddNewz
Knicks out of the east, blazers in the west...sixers a close third

I wouldn't be surprised to see both the heat and celtics out in the first round

29$JerZ
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Easily the Knicks in the East and Portland out West

Scarified
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
None of the 6-8 in the East pose any really threat IMO. Maybe next year for the Knicks but I just don't see it this year. Not enough time to build any real chemistry. As for the West, I think Portland is one of the most scary match ups for any high seed.

allSUAVE
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
NY & portland

most likely for one is :NY

The Jokemaker
04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Memphis but it all depends on matchups. They could beat Mavs or Spurs but I don't think they can beat the Lakers.

Double_R
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
In the east - New York(not even close)
In the west - Portland(not even close either)

New York was the easy pick for one reason and one reason only. They have two superstars, and you can call him old if you want, but Chauncey Billups is a playoff point guard, and a 5-time All-Star.

Portland is a tough out for any of the top 3 seeds in the west. Especially now with Brandon Roy starting to look like the Roy of old, and Lamarcus Aldridges' major improvement as a player, probably should have made the All-Star team this year. Plus, they're a very good home team.

Overall, the Knicks are the biggest threat in that regard.

So are you saying that the Knicks will beat the Heat???

There is not a team in the East that poses a threat.

uprightciti
04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
knicks

blahblahyoutoo
04-08-2011, 12:01 PM
portland, then philly, then NY.

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Memphis but it all depends on matchups. They could beat Mavs or Spurs but I don't think they can beat the Lakers.

I actually think Memphis would be the toughest of the western conference teams as well. They have a good team full of very good defenders at multiple positions.

Bullsfan22
04-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Knicks and Portland

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I am curious why everyone says the Knicks? I understand there are some homer picks but I don't see how their suspect team defense would allow them to be a threat in the post season.

blahblahyoutoo
04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I am curious why everyone says the Knicks? I understand there are some homer picks but I don't see how their suspect team defense would allow them to be a threat in the post season.

yeah, actually i would put memphis ahead of the knicks.

29$JerZ
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Billups and Amare are beast in the playoffs, now add Melo.
NY has the least pressure to win so they can upset anyone. It's not like Miami or Chicago who has to do good and go far to validate there spot. NY is the most dangerous team out East, we have 3 top playoff performers with no expectations.

llemon
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Philly and Portland are both scary match ups.

I agree

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Billups and Amare are beast in the playoffs, now add Melo.
NY has the least pressure to win so they can upset anyone. It's not like Miami or Chicago who has to do good and go far to validate there spot. NY is the most dangerous team out East, we have 3 top playoff performers with no expectations.

I am well aware of the fact that the Knicks have a great trio but it does not answer the question about their defense. There is a reason why the team is hovering around .500 at the moment. I am not saying the Knicks can't win in their first round series but I don't think having two guys who are "beast" in the playoffs will get it done.

29$JerZ
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I am well aware of the fact that the Knicks have a great trio but it does not answer the question about their defense. There is a reason why the team is hovering around .500 at the moment. I am not saying the Knicks can't win in their first round series but I don't think having two guys who are "beast" in the playoffs will get it done.
NY is a teamof stops which means Our d is not enough to get us far but we have shown we can hang around any team. Only playoff team we haven't beaten is Boston and they look lost right now. Our offense alone can get us to the 2nd round. No one is expecting us to make a run but we have a good chance of getting to the 2ndround vs anyone

rapjuicer06
04-08-2011, 12:23 PM
i said philly because if they all play up to potential they just match up well with some of the teams

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
NY is a teamof stops which means Our d is not enough to get us far but we have shown we can hang around any team. Only playoff team we haven't beaten is Boston and they look lost right now. Our offense alone can get us to the 2nd round. No one is expecting us to make a run but we have a good chance of getting to the 2ndround vs anyone

I am not so sure about that. New York Ranks ranks 28th in the league in points allowed (105.8), ranks 25th in opponent FG% (47.2%), 26th in opponent 3pt% (37.2%). Those are not great numbers to look at, especially when they will have to face either Miami or Boston in the first round. Yes the Knicks can score at will and they have shown that but so can other teams in a close contest. In the end, I would trust the defense of Miami or Boston to stop New York when it mattered.

tbone2171
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I see the Pacers winning as an 8 seed...

HOZ THE KNICK
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Knicks & blazers will be a tough out.

nycericanguy
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM

They are not a good defensive team, but they have shown the ability to play good-great defense in spurts. See the win in PHI, the win in MIA.

Turiaf should be healthy come playoff time and Shelden Williams has started to play good defense at center. They are not as bad defensively as people make them out to be. A motivated Melo in the post season will play good defense too. And Douglas & FIelds are also good defenders.

HOZ THE KNICK
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
i am well aware of the fact that the knicks have a great trio but it does not answer the question about their defense. There is a reason why the team is hovering around .500 at the moment. I am not saying the knicks can't win in their first round series but i don't think having two guys who are "beast" in the playoffs will get it done.

the reason is gel, but we are coming around just wait you will see.

oak2455
04-08-2011, 12:58 PM
You think the 76ers could pose a challenge? I think the should not be overlooked and perhaps are a better team than the Knicks right now.

Really?? Really?? didnt the Knicks just beat the Sixers at home with no Billups for the 2nd half?? Come on man:D why are they better??

danniboi168
04-08-2011, 01:03 PM
ny n portland.

danniboi168
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Really?? Really?? didnt the Knicks just beat the Sixers at home with no Billups for the 2nd half?? Come on man:D why are they better??

lol thats what i was thinking

oak2455
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
lol thats what i was thinking

Plus they just named the Sixers arena again its now called MSG2:clap::clap:

sixer04fan
04-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Portland

Knickfansince97
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I am not so sure about that. New York Ranks ranks 28th in the league in points allowed (105.8), ranks 25th in opponent FG% (47.2%), 26th in opponent 3pt% (37.2%). Those are not great numbers to look at, especially when they will have to face either Miami or Boston in the first round. Yes the Knicks can score at will and they have shown that but so can other teams in a close contest. In the end, I would trust the defense of Miami or Boston to stop New York when it mattered.

I know you are looking at the numbers and you are correct, but the Knicks are not going to just roll over in the playoffs. Thats why so many people are saying they have the best chance of upsetting a top seed. Everything goes out the window when playoffs come around. The Knicks will show that they might have what it takes to get to the second round. their defense will better in the playoffs.

heathonater
04-08-2011, 01:22 PM
i dont really see the knicks winning more than 1 or 2 games since i dont see any way they slow down james or wade. at this point, i dont view the knicks as a threat to win a series.

Tarheels23
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Blazers

Q_bully
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Knicks by plenty of miles.

The Knicks have players that have more playoff experience than the heat.

knickerbockerny
04-08-2011, 02:07 PM
If the Knicks don't play the Heat in the first round or any round in the playoffs for the matter, I am honestly going to be upset!!

So sick of hearing how great their team is! Home court really does not matter when/if those two play.

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I know you are looking at the numbers and you are correct, but the Knicks are not going to just roll over in the playoffs. Thats why so many people are saying they have the best chance of upsetting a top seed. Everything goes out the window when playoffs come around. The Knicks will show that they might have what it takes to get to the second round. their defense will better in the playoffs.

Why though? Their defense is not simply going to improve just because it is the post season. Only a few players on the Knicks are average or better defensive players. I don't see how it is all of the sudden going to get better when the numbers offer no indication of that. I could understand the argument if the Knicks were showing signs of improving defensively but the simply are not. Even though the Knicks have won their last 5 games games, they have yielded 107.7 ppg against. I personally see the Knicks going out in 5 games in the first round.

Mile High Champ
04-08-2011, 03:45 PM

The Knicks split the season series with the 76ers this season. It really does not matter that they just won by 5 points in their last meeting, it is one game. The 76ers may not score as many points as the Knicks but they play much better defense and defense always trumps offense in the playoffs.

John Walls Era
04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Portland and its not even close (Knicks are about 3 car lengths away from them). Everyone can blame MJ for agreeing to trade Gerald Wallace (first allstar for the Bobcats) for peanuts. Blazers are deep at every position and they have one of the best HCA. Dallas better hope they don't get them because if they do, then Blazers will beat them.

Despite their seeding, imo Portland is the 4th most dangerous team in the West.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
New York and Portland.

Jewelz0376
04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I went with Portland only if they get Dal....and NY i think has the best chance in the east

MrfadeawayJB
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
East: Sixers
West:Blazers
sleeper: Grizz

sargon21
04-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Portland and its not even close (Knicks are about 3 car lengths away from them). Everyone can blame MJ for agreeing to trade Gerald Wallace (first allstar for the Bobcats) for peanuts. Blazers are deep at every position and they have one of the best HCA. Dallas better hope they don't get them because if they do, then Blazers will beat them.

Despite their seeding, imo Portland is the 4th most dangerous team in the West.

This.

And let me add, I actually see them as the 3rd best team in the Wast, behind the Lakers and Spurs.

lilojmayo
04-09-2011, 04:54 AM
I actually think Memphis would be the toughest of the western conference teams as well. They have a good team full of very good defenders at multiple positions.

Like someone mentioned it is about matchups. Therefore even I have to admit the Grizz aren't the biggest threat, but guys like Z-bo, Tony Allen, OJ Mayo, Marc Gasol will turn some heads and give whoever they play a serious battle.

Without out the way, it is clearly the Knicks. They have a superstar, an all star, and a finals mvp with so much playoff experience.

JiffyMix88
04-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Sixers!

ChiTownPacerFan
04-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Whoever winds up playing the Mavericks. I don't think Stern is going to let that team win a playoff series. I'm slightly kidding, but that is the only upset I can see happening.

Nighthawk
04-09-2011, 06:58 AM
New York is not a scary matchup lmao. Not with that head coach. HE SUCKS..No defense

Philly is athletic and actually plays pretty good defense.

Portland can turn some heads

jimm120
04-09-2011, 07:23 AM
New York is not a scary matchup lmao. Not with that head coach. HE SUCKS..No defense

Philly is athletic and actually plays pretty good defense.

Portland can turn some heads

True. JUST because of that there is a GOOD chance that they won't be "scary" in the playoffs.

But at the same time, maybe the players will carry the team, much like Melo is carrying them now through these past 8 games

or

how when Amare at an MVP level carried them to a 14-1 spurt in late november/december (just wanted to say that it took more than an MVP level amare. It took a near allstar level from Felton and a "I"m gonna sign this guy" level from Chandler too. None of the 3 played to that level again and guess what, the Knicks had losing records until the trade).

mttwlsn16
04-09-2011, 09:23 AM
knicks easy, any given night they can enter beast mode with stat, melo, chauncey

The Jokemaker
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
This.

And let me add, I actually see them as the 3rd best team in the Wast, behind the Lakers and Spurs.

No way the Blazers are ahead of the Thunder. Let's not get crazy here.

justinnum1
04-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Has to be portland or memphis

latinofire21
04-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I dont see why everyone is so critical of NY. They pulled off a blockbuster trade right before the deadline and needed the remainder of the season to gel. Looks like they gelled and are on a serious tear over the past 6 games. They have beaten all the playoff teams in the east except for Boston, but Boston doesnt look like the same team now that we played during the season. You can bring out any statistic you want and you can say defense always trumps offense. Thats an opinion. NYK plays at a much faster pace then most of the teams in the NBA so defensive stats dont look great for them anyway you put it because there are way more possessions in their games then other teams games.

NYK is a threat because they are an offensive juggernaut. They play defense in spurts and if the game is close, I sure as hell wouldnt want to try to defend Mr. Big Shot, Carmelo Anthony, and Amare Stourdemireall at the same time.

Playoffs everyone starts at 0 - 0, so lets start acting that way guys.

valade16
04-09-2011, 01:56 PM
No way the Blazers are ahead of the Thunder. Let's not get crazy here.

Perhaps not ahead, but not far behind if at all. Portland has Batum and Wallace that can D up Durant (nobody can stop durantala, but they minimize him better than anyone because they are tall, athletic and have long arms), their main problem is Miller can't guard Westbrook so they have to have mathews guard him, meaning Portland rarely has a true PG on the court against OKC.

Bottom line as seen from their split a few days ago against each other, Portland and OKC are pretty evenly matched. Who from OKC has been injured? Basically nobody and Portland has had (as usual) injuries galore and is only like 4 games back from OKC, and since Wallace has been in the startin lineup they're 10-4 (and with the exception of the freakish loss to the surgin GSW's who beat Dal, Por, and LaL in a row) all the losses were on the road to Okc, NO, and the lakers.

What makes the record even more impressive is how ridiculously hard the schedule has been, couple those losses with their 10 wins against the likes of Dallas (twice), Philly, San Antonio (twice), OKC, and the lakers. That's 10 of 14 games against quality opponents.

Don't sleep on Portland, they are very good. And as long as were talking about teams not to sleep on, don't sleep on the Griz, who are playing very fast paced and well without a high amount of turnovers...

Mile High Champ
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Looks to me like Memphis should of been the choice here.. haha

JordansBulls
04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Nice bump.:)

blahblahyoutoo
04-29-2011, 06:24 PM
knicks easy, any given night they can enter beast mode with stat, melo, chauncey

uhhh, the knicks already lost.

FriedTofuz
04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
the knicks because they had two all stars, its unfortunate that they lost though.

tyfreaks brotha
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Memphis

DoJoTheSlasher
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
LOL Knicks. Got swept.

tyfreaks brotha
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
uhhh, the knicks already lost.

What's the point of even saying that. He said that way before this thread was bumped. It's obvious they lost bro...

KnicksR4Real
04-29-2011, 09:36 PM
One wuld have thoight that it was NY. Guess not lol