PDA

View Full Version : First Round Playoff Matchup Idea

tlynch
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
What if the top 4 seeds in each conference each got to choose their first round opponent from the bottom 4 playoff teams in their conference.

So the first seed would pick who they play first, then the second seed would pick from the remaining three, etc...

I think it would make it more meaningful to be in the top 4 and as it stands, the match-ups are very random, as teams can move around several spots on the last day.

It would also add a little insult factor for the team that gets picked first, making the match-up a little more exciting.

210Don
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
no

JordansBulls
04-07-2011, 03:20 PM
no

this. Why the hell should a professional team be able to choose who they will play?

DragonJaii
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
yeah i dont like the idea.

Baller1
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I think it'd be kinda badass... :shrug:

Can a top team pick a top team? Because I'd choose to play the Mavs... :laugh2:

Kingz4L
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
If anything they should just choose the top 16 teams in the nba to enter the playoffs. That way a team like the Rockets and Suns could qualify instead of a team like the Pacers and 76ers. That way it would be more challenging for the top teams to eliminate them..

iggypop123
04-07-2011, 04:13 PM
this. Why the hell should a professional team be able to choose who they will play?

it still happens. ask the clippers when they picked to play against baby melo

nickdymez
04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Man.. These threads are going downhill

Purple&Gold24
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Seriously?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Don't like it.

macc
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
They actually "talked" about doing something like this, and to be honest, I think it would make for a more interesting playoffs. Esp with the story lines. Teams would feel they have a chip on their shoulder getting called out by a team that believes they have an advantage against them.

I would be for the idea.

Jetsguy
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
doesnt seem like it would change much actually. Would the Bulls not pick the Pacers? The only thing is maybe the 3/6 and 4/5 would switch but I doubt it.

bholly
04-07-2011, 08:07 PM

I actually love it, and have suggested it before. The whole point in seeding the way is is so that a) the best teams don't match up until the later rounds, and b) to reward the teams with the best records by giving them the easiest opponents.

If you do it this way, you still get the best teams in later rounds (and, in fact, make it more likely, as the teams can choose teams they match up best against) and reward the teams with the best records even more. Sounds perfect to me.

It also takes away the incentive of teams to drop late season games in order to get a better matchup, and means you don't have possible situations where a team finishes high, say #3, and gets matched up with a team that turned it around late and became awesome, storming into #6, while a team that finished in #4 gets rewarded with a much easier matchup against a team that limped into #5 after a strong start but became terrible. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are examples of that sort of thing happening.

Add in the tactics and the psychology of it, and I think it'd be awesome.

gatkins11
04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I think it'd be kinda badass... :shrug:

Can a top team pick a top team? Because I'd choose to play the Mavs... :laugh2:

Spurs or Lakers would pick them before OKC had the chance.

tlynch
04-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Well... I don't think it would have changed anything in the East... except it would take away people feeling that the Knicks hurt themselves by moving up into the 6th spot. I think the Heat would have taken the Sixers either way.

1 Bulls
8 Pacers

4 Magic
5 Hawks

3 Celtics
6 Knicks

2 Heat
7 Sixers

tlynch
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Reviving this thread as playoff time approaches...

Again, I think letting the top 4 teams pick who they play would eliminate the stupid jockeying for position that goes on.

It also adds a larger advantage for being at the top.

king4day
03-15-2013, 12:13 PM
I actually like the idea. A bigger benefit to win the conference.
I also like what Hockey is doing and allowing the best team from each conference play the worst team in the league (even if they are in the opposing conference).

Scratch that. Didn't realize this was 2 years old.

king4day
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Reviving this thread as playoff time approaches...

Again, I think letting the top 4 teams pick who they play would eliminate the stupid jockeying for position that goes on.

It also adds a larger advantage for being at the top.

Please open a fresh thread. Don't bump threads that are old.