PDA

View Full Version : Why will there be a possible NBA Lockout?

AndyfromNeptune
04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Okay, I am a 17 year old high school senior that is still confused as to why there is the possibility for an impending lockout in the NBA?

I will be taking Micro/Macro and my businesses courses next year at McGill University/University of Toronto but as of right now I am not too certain about how these labor agreements work and why disputes arise when the system is seemingly perfect.

A basketball fan since 1999 after seeing the Knicks upset the Heat, I have not seen a time in the game of basketball in which it has been so popular. (Post Jordan of course) Ratings seem to be higher, players seem to be happy, and owners have no problems dishing out more salaries even at the cost of the brutal luxury tax.

And I understand money is always the motivation for these type of things, but can someone economically exhibit the implications for this possible particular NBA Lockout? It just bewilders me. :cry:

WSU Tony
04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
The pie is only so big. The owners feel they are taking the risk by having to buy/insure basketball centers as well as pay millions to athletes to play in them. They feel they should get a higher percentage of the pie. The players feel they are the main attraction and they are making the owners money, they want more of the pie.

This is why the NFL will go from 16 games to 17-18 (to create a bigger pie to make both owners and players happy.

Bottom line, the players get guaranteed contracts which they are thrilled about when they sign them but towards the back end of the deal, if they are outplaying their contracts they ***** and moan about not getting paid better. You don't hear the Brian Cardinals of the world making 1M complaining, do you?

Supply and demand.

Hellcrooner
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Ouners want to pay less money to the players and take away the very small amount of rights they have basically become the players SLAVES that cant move ever from the team that drafts them and have to play there for "little" money.

Players want to go on winning good money and BE ABLE TO CONTROL THEIR LIFES like any other human does, and go play where they want to play.

SO, its logical they are on a confrontation.

Imo the palyers are STUPID, THEY are the ones putting up the show.
If i was them i would not accept ANY condition untill they are allowed to do waht the rest of players of any sport are allowed to do in the WHOLE REST of the world.
FREE MARKET; go where you want to go whenever you want and for the lenght you want and for how much you want.
No more you need to trade a paleyr for player ( just pay buyouts to the other team)
no more draft and no more ****.

IF owners dont want to obligue? then all of them sign contracts in europe and turn the euroleague in the ebst leageu in the world.
Or threat to create their own league ruled by themselves.

Tey ahve to realize people is paying to see THE PLAYERS not the owners.

SteveNash
04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
The NBA is a monopoly, it's a simple as that.

If the NBA had a real competitor (sorry crooner, Euroleague isn't it) their would be no lockout.

Purple&Gold24
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM

If the NBA had a real competitor (sorry crooner, Euroleague isn't it) their would be no lockout.

this.

Hellcrooner
04-07-2011, 04:58 PM

If the NBA had a real competitor (sorry crooner, Euroleague isn't it yet) their would be no lockout.

you only need some top 20 players with enough balls this summer to change that fact.

gwrighter
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
you only need some top 20 players with enough balls this summer to change that fact.

players might threaten but its a non-credible threat. None of them will risk injury playing over-seas. It's hard to get players to play in Toronto much less anywhere in Europe.

abe_froman
04-07-2011, 05:17 PM
because stern is using this cba negotiation as his last chance to break the union(for his legacy as he probably wont be around for next cba) ,something he wanted to do in '99 but couldnt get done,been steaming about it ever since.

SteveNash
04-07-2011, 06:16 PM

And bankrupt the Euroleague? How would that help?

Schmiggy
04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
The pie is only so big. The owners feel they are taking the risk by having to buy/insure basketball centers as well as pay millions to athletes to play in them. They feel they should get a higher percentage of the pie. The players feel they are the main attraction and they are making the owners money, they want more of the pie.

This is why the NFL will go from 16 games to 17-18 (to create a bigger pie to make both owners and players happy.

The NFL players do not want 17-18 games and it wasn't even on the table this year anyhow.

IamKaiserSoze
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
nfl seasons are nowhere near playing extra games. the owners want to, but aren't willing to give something up in return.

and there is no creating a bigger pie. it's all about percentages of said pie.

and sorry, players might be asking for more rights (which mostly just means more money), but don't call them slaves. slaves never made millions, lived in large fancy mansions and drove cars with spinning hub caps. calling them slaves is pretty insulting to those whose ancestors actually were slaves.

PrettyBoyJ
04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Basically the owners feel like there losing too much money mostly the smaller market teams, and the league is so lopsided that the weakers teams feel they'll never be able to compete with the elite teams (Lakers, Heats, Celtics) Now that the new trend is superstars teaming up and are headed to the big markets, smaller markets take a big hit in attendance and revnue thus losing money.

heathonater
04-07-2011, 08:17 PM
from what ive read, i heard that the owners want to adopt a salary structure similar to the nhl, meaning that player salaries will take a huge hit if the owners get their way. it looks highly likely that there will be a long lockout because most teams are losing money and players will do anything to avoid massive pay cuts. i'm going to enjoy the playoffs this year, because i think there is a chance that the 2011-12 season could be lost.

Kevj77
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Most NBA teams claim to be losing money. I watched Larry King a couple months ago when the Maloofs were his guests. They said that it is easy to lose moeny if you get locked into some bad contracts and the team underperforms.

They said that the value is in the franchise itself, but to realize it you have to sell your team. The value of most franchises goes up over time, but it's easy to not make a yearly profit.

Hellcrooner
04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
And bankrupt the Euroleague? How would that help?

on the contrary signing such players will be really good finantilly for them.

Olympiakos got a money hit up just because of signing childress.

imagine they signed lebron.

Lake_Show2416
04-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Money & Control

SteveNash
04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
on the contrary signing such players will be really good finantilly for them.

Olympiakos got a money hit up just because of signing childress.

imagine they signed lebron.

Signing 1 star isn't enough. They'd have to sign multiple. The infrastructure couldn't support the influx in players.

Car Ramrod
04-08-2011, 01:20 AM
The league as a whole is losing money and interest. There are teams making tons for sure but as a whole there are a bunch losing money including the Spurs among others.

http://www.businessinsider.com/forbes-17-of-30-nba-teams-lost-money-last-year-2011-1

The stars will be given the option take less and keep jobs for your fellow union members or teams will begin folding. For some reason I have a feeling the stars won't be willing to give up much.

TopsyTurvy
04-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Business 101: The easiest way to control expenses is by controlling wages and collective bargaining gives employees a strong voice in the negotiation process. Teams across the league are looking at cutting expenses - some teams must do it to remain solvent - players salaries are in the crosshairs.

The concessions some NBA owners are asking for make the NFL Owners Association look like a bunch of rich guys with a few minor complaints. There will be games missed next season - the only question is how many?

SteveNash
04-08-2011, 01:54 AM
The league as a whole is losing money and interest. There are teams making tons for sure but as a whole there are a bunch losing money including the Spurs among others.

http://www.businessinsider.com/forbes-17-of-30-nba-teams-lost-money-last-year-2011-1

The stars will be given the option take less and keep jobs for your fellow union members or teams will begin folding. For some reason I have a feeling the stars won't be willing to give up much.

What? League as a whole is making money.

Hellcrooner
04-08-2011, 03:44 AM
What? League as a whole is making money.

And thats why if they really want parity all the money gotten from gates, merchandising, tv rights , sponsorship etc should be added up and split equally among all of the league teams.

then let everybody do what they want regarding paying players with their 1/30 of the league budget.