PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving entering NBA Draft

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
DURHAM, N.C. -- Point guard Kyrie Irving is leaving Duke after one season to enter the NBA draft.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement issued Wednesday by the school that Irving plans to hire an agent, ending his college career.

"Our whole program is overjoyed with having Kyrie here for one year and that he has the chance now to pursue a dream of being a high draft pick and a great player in the NBA," Krzyzewski said. "We are totally supportive of Kyrie, his family and his decision. We look forward to continuing to work with him during the upcoming months leading to his entry into the NBA and afterwards while he is an NBA player."

Irving played only 11 games and missed roughly two-thirds of the season with an injured big toe on his right foot. The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 17.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists for top-seeded Duke, which was upset by Arizona in the West regional semifinals.

"It was a great experience playing for Coach K," Irving said. "He taught me a lot about the game. Even when I was hurt, I learned a lot. Also a special thanks goes to the medical staff for getting me back on the court for the NCAA Tournament and my teammates for sticking with me throughout the entire year. Duke offered me an experience I could never have imagined."

When Irving was healthy, he was electrifying. His 31-point performance against then-No. 6 Michigan State marked just the fourth time in school history that a freshman scored 30 points in a game. He was the MVP of the CBE Classic after averaging 14.5 points and six assists.

But his only season at Duke ultimately might be defined by the 26 games he missed after he jammed his toe during a win over Butler on Dec. 4, and the lingering subplot surrounding the Blue Devils was when -- or even if -- he would return.

He worked out in full public view before an Atlantic Coast Conference tournament game in uniform shorts and sneakers, told reporters after the championship game win over North Carolina that he could return and wound up coming off the bench for Duke's NCAA tournament opener against Hampton. He reached double figures in scoring in each of his three tournament games, capped by a 28-point showing in the loss to Arizona.

After that game, he said he didn't want to take off his No. 1 jersey and could see himself wearing it again as a sophomore, but wanted to consult with his coaches, family and friends before coming to a final decision on his future.

"This was a special year for me. I love everything about Duke and I'm going to miss it," added Irving. "Duke has a special place in my heart. Even though I'm leaving this year, Duke will always be in my mind and my heart. I'm going to miss putting on that No. 1 jersey."

Irving's departure leaves another hole in the Duke lineup that will be missing graduated seniors Nolan Smith , the ACC's player of the year, and Kyle Singler, the most outstanding player at last year's Final Four. Among the Blue Devils' incoming freshmen is guard Austin Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers and one of the nation's highest-rated recruits.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6301656

clutchski
04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Not surprised. Guaranteed top pick and all.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
If I was him I would have stayed because he has a toe injury that he just came back from and there is a lockout looming. I could see him become as injury prone as Greg Oden.

netsgiantsyanks
04-06-2011, 08:38 PM
but hes a pg??

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
but hes a pg??

Are you referring to the comment I made? If you are I'm saying that he has talent but will be injured a lot.

BleedGreen1014
04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
not surprised, but he should have stayed so he could team with Austin Rivers next year to form the best backcourt in the country.

BALLER71
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Will be a very safe draft pick. Will easily average 20 and 8 throughout his career, IMO.

Crackadalic
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
not surprised, but he should have stayed so he could team with Austin Rivers next year to form the best backcourt in the country.

That would be sooo nasty.

North Yorker
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
No brainer. He will be the top pick in the draft as long as WASH doesnt get the 1st pick.

roshan3ai
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
He's gonna be a great point guard in this league. Pretty safe pick

KnicksR4Real
04-06-2011, 08:50 PM
cool

championships
04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
What did he play? like 11 games for the season?

netsgiantsyanks
04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Are you referring to the comment I made? If you are I'm saying that he has talent but will be injured a lot.

yah & ok.

JCSchwa
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM

other then his lone toe injury in his freshman year of college, which he miraculously recovered from quicker then anyone thought he would and still managed to compete in the tourney that same year....what exactly makes you think he is going think he will be injury prone, not to mention, the level of Greg Oden? lol...and like another poster said ..he is a PG not a 7+ footer like Oden who's knees just cant hold up with his giant body???
riddle me this batman.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
other then his lone toe injury in his freshman year of college, which he miraculously recovered from quicker then anyone thought he would and still managed to compete in the tourney that same year....what exactly makes you think he is going think he will be injury prone, not to mention, the level of Greg Oden? lol...and like another poster said ..he is a PG not a 7+ footer like Oden who's knees just cant hold up with his giant body???
riddle me this batman.

I didn't say he would play the same way as Oden, all I meant was that he could possibly be as injury prone as Oden was.

cubbybear2290
04-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Is anyone really even surprised by this, because I for one sure am not.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Is anyone really even surprised by this, because I for one sure am not.

I'm not really surprised. But then again Sullinger is staying and it sounding like Barnes is staying as well. Kind of a weird year for freshmen.

JCSchwa
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I didn't say he would play the same way as Oden, all I meant was that he could possibly be as injury prone as Oden was.

i know you never said he would play the same as Oden, i never implied that you were saying he had some sort of bust potential... if you re-read my post... all i am wondering is what makes you think that he will be injury prone?

Do you know something i dont about his high-school career and some sort of devastating history of injuries?

Because other then that...it was one freak big-toe injury which kept him from being this years best college basketball player hands down and the consensus #1 pick in the draft...which he still may end up being even though he played something like 11 games....watching this guy in the beginning of the season before he got hurt was extremely exciting and i think its pretty safe to say he will be a solid NBA starter for years to come.....as long as he doesnt take up motorcycles as a hobby ughhhh. :facepalm:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
i know you never said he would play the same as Oden, i never implied that you were saying he had some sort of bust potential... if you re-read my post... all i am wondering is what makes you think that he will be injury prone?

Do you know something i dont about his high-school career and some sort of devastating history of injuries?

Because other then that...it was one freak big-toe injury which kept him from being this years best college basketball player hands down and the consensus #1 pick in the draft...which he still may end up being even though he played something like 1 games....watching this guy in the beginning of the season before he got hurt was extremely exciting and i think its pretty safe to say he will be a solid NBA starter for years to come.....as long as he doesnt take up motorcycles as a hobby ughhhh. :facepalm:

He only played in like ten games this year and was injured this whole year. I also just found out that he has a foot structure issue as well.

Eagles4Lyfe
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Is he the best player in the draft thsi year??

fadedmario
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
He will be a Piston

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Is he the best player in the draft thsi year??

He is rated as the top prospect as of today.

CavsYanksDuke
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Depending on the team that takes him, like every other PG, he could be very, VERY impressive immediately. I was really disappointed when the the LAC traded away their pick for Mo Williams. SIGH.

gotoHcarolina52
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
D-U-K-E

Sad to see him go, but enjoyed seeing him in Duke blue while it lasted. It's a shame that he was gone most of the year. Had he been healthy and fully integrated into the rotation, the Devils could have made the Final Four, if not the Championship game.

Master Mind
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
This kid's game is nice...

EaglesJackson10
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah he has one injury and all of sudden he's Greg Oden.

gjsii13
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Not surprised. Guaranteed top pick and all.

Guaranteed?

I know I am in the minority but I would draft Derrick Williams #1 overall.

For example:

If I was Cleveland, I would draft Derrick Williams. Not saying he could replace LBJ, but I am confident that since he is a hybrid, 6-8 SF with serious range and a very polished scoring game that he could contribute and has the most potential.

I am not saying Kyrie won't be a star because he has all the tools as well, I am just saying that this is not guaranteed.

Rego247
04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
no ****.

chrislu31
04-06-2011, 10:06 PM
i understand that he is talented and all that but after playing only 11 collegiate basketball games how is every1 so sure he will be the top pick? i do believe him to be a top ten maybe top five at best, but why such the hype for an nba undersized pg who has only had such little exposure?

Fmaranesi
04-06-2011, 10:09 PM
This guy (barring injury) will be a really good player, will battle for top PG honors throughout his career.

BSplaya2121
04-06-2011, 10:24 PM
If whomever gets the first pick doesn't draft Derrick Williams they will regret it. The guy is crazy athletic, and he has a ton of talent with the potential to lead a team. Draft Williams first and Irving second

goose15
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
with the 1st pick in the 2011 NBA DRAFT the Cleveland Cavaliers select Kyrie Irving PG Duke.

Denver-boy
04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Dont kill me. but I think hell be better than Cp3... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPP7pf2Ng3s

dudes Pure talent, he was born to be in the Nba

goose15
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Dont kill me. but I think hell be better than Cp3... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPP7pf2Ng3s

dope.

Crackadalic
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Its funny you say that because a lot of scouts are saying his game is scary similar to Cp3 which is why im a big fan of his game. I wouldnt be surprise if he became a allstar one day

NBA_Starter
04-06-2011, 11:25 PM
If I was him I would have stayed because he has a toe injury that he just came back from and there is a lockout looming.I could see him become as injury prone as Greg Oden.

He wears a special shoe now that does not allow the toe to bend anywhere near as far back as it did in the initial injury, I guess it could happen to anyone but I don't think the toe will be an issue.

Punk
04-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Its funny you say that because a lot of scouts are saying his game is scary similar to Cp3 which is why im a big fan of his game. I wouldnt be surprise if he became a allstar one day

Not if he's in the East lol

NBA_Starter
04-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Not if he's in the East lol

Yes, even then, he's that good, trust me!

jimbobjarree
04-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Jazz win the lottery :pray:

deron williams for derrick Favors, Devin Harris and Kyrie Irving would make it an epic win of a trade for the Jazz.

NBA_Starter
04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
He will be sick anywhere, but he will really be good on the Jazz.

lavell12
04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
As a Duke fan I'm sad he is gone but wish him good luck, if he had been healthy all year duke would have won the title. I just hope he doesn't go to the Cavs, that will destroy him.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-07-2011, 12:31 AM
If I was him I would have stayed because he has a toe injury that he just came back from and there is a lockout looming. I could see him become as injury prone as Greg Oden.

I don't really understand the connection here. Greg Oden didn't have knee problems coming out of college, he just had the wrist injury. With Irving, I think he rehabbed his toe to the optimal level and should be fine going forward. The only reason why I may have came back if I was Irving was due to a lockout next season. He didn't play that much as is this season, and another year could go down the toilet should a lockout occur. It is very difficult to turn down a chance to be the number one pick though.

Mane
04-07-2011, 12:34 AM
He's gonna be great. Rose+Wall+Westbrook+Irving will be the most dominant PG's in 5 years.. while CP3, Deron, and those types will be passing the torch.

alencp3
04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Enes Kanter will enter the draft too

John Walls Era
04-07-2011, 12:39 AM

Then how is staying going to help him if hes injury prone? Wouldn't it be better to just get the contract instead of risking another injury in college?

believeinNYK
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
He's gonna be a great player, haven't seen a great NBA player out of duke in a while

jim51990
04-07-2011, 02:00 AM
no doubt #1 pick

Chi StateOfMind
04-07-2011, 02:09 AM
this is y the college basketball is going down all kids are going to school one year and thats it....

Khalifa21
04-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Not surprised... He's pretty much a lock for #1. Not really much point in going back to college if you're a consensus top 3 pick. Just run the risk of getting injured and ruining your draft stock.

I cannot wait to see him play in the league. High hopes for him.