PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James buys minority stake in liverpool.

dnewguy
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
The deal between Mr. James and Fenway Sports Group will give Mr. James a minority stake in the soccer club Liverpool, which FSG owns. FSG, which also owns the Boston Red Sox, is partnering with Mr. James's sports-marketing firm, LRMR Branding & Marketing to become the exclusive world-wide representative for Mr. James.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703280904576246640754493456.html

I hope other players will follow his lead and invest rather than having baby mothers and making it rain on strippers.

haggis
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
soccer forum :rolleyes:

Master Mind
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Smart

Ray_R
04-06-2011, 04:45 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/3972913623_ea3350a89e.jpg

Chacarron
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Liverpool sucks Lebron.

h2r09
04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/3972913623_ea3350a89e.jpg

dont look now but rose is shooting 4-17 again and this time its just in shootaround. MVP!!!

but anyway, LEbron is a flat out smart businessman. He has done exceptionally well finding ways to invest his money and to buy things as a guy who was thrust into the public eye with a lot of money from a really young age.

Ray_R
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
dont look now but rose is shooting 4-17 again and this time its just in shootaround. MVP!!!

but anyway, LEbron is a flat out smart businessman. He has done exceptionally well finding ways to invest his money and to buy things as a guy who was thrust into the public eye with a lot of money from a really young age.

http://surfingbeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

h2r09
04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
http://surfingbeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/all-decade.best.games.across.sports.2000s/images/mario-chalmers(biever).jpg

clutch!!!

SteveNash
04-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I hope other players will follow his lead and invest rather than having baby mothers and making it rain on strippers.

Lots of players that went bankrupt invest. I don't think this is a very smart move as Liverpool and the entire Premiership is clearly on the decline.

Niro
04-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Lots of players that went bankrupt invest. I don't think this is a very smart move as Liverpool and the entire Premiership is clearly on the decline.

what sig bet did you loose:D

SteveNash
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
what sig bet did you loose:D

That Boston wouldn't drop to the 4th seed in the playoffs last year.

Ray_R
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/all-decade.best.games.across.sports.2000s/images/mario-chalmers(biever).jpg

clutch!!!

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

AKAYaReal
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
No knock on Lebron but when you say other players should follow in his lead, I would say he's following in the lead of Jordan. Granted Lebron is still a player but Jordan paved the way for players like Lebron and Kobe.

Jordan is a MAJORITY owner of a NBA franchise. A minority could mean he owns only 1% of the company.

Congrads to the man for doing this while still playing in the NBA and at such a young age, but he is not the 1st player to invest in a team.

h2r09
04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

Look at your division which you get to play 15 games against and look at ours and look how all of the heats losses have come in 3 separate stretches. When the heat play like they are capable there is nothing that gets in their way.

clutchski
04-06-2011, 07:23 PM
That is smart. Liverpool has an incredible following around the world

JerseysFinest
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
No knock on Lebron but when you say other players should follow in his lead, I would say he's following in the lead of Jordan. Granted Lebron is still a player but Jordan paved the way for players like Lebron and Kobe.

Jordan is a MAJORITY owner of a NBA franchise. A minority could mean he owns only 1% of the company.

Congrads to the man for doing this while still playing in the NBA and at such a young age, but he is not the 1st player to invest in a team.

is this subtle lebron dislike?
He's evidently referring to players purchasing stakes in other ventures such as soccer teams and such. Not NBA franchises. Besides LeBron, no other player to my knowledge has stakes in a soccer team, except maybe like Kobe and Steve Nash. Jay-Z has a stake in Arsenal

Ashman23
04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
As a Liverpool supporter and a Lebron hater, I'm very disappointed that we just sign over parts of the team to someone so gutless and has a 'me first' attitude. Nothing that the club represents.

dynasty7961
04-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Following the Red Sox Ownership lol

avrpatsfan
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Looks like he has to become a Red Sox fan now.

shep33
04-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Heck, I'm a Liverpool fan, pretty cool by Lebron. But I must admit, Liverpool are chokeartists. Pretty sad

h2r09
04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
As a Liverpool supporter and a Lebron hater, I'm very disappointed that we just sign over parts of the team to someone so gutless and has a 'me first' attitude. Nothing that the club represents.

Ya, how dare lebron give up money, popularity, fame, stats, and touches in the name if winning. Talk about me first. What a joke. Everything lebron has done in the past year is exactly what you want from someone affiliated with your favorite team. Nice blind hate though

NYKalltheway
04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
lol Lebron

Wilson
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I don't see how the Premiership is on the decline :confused:

As for Liverpool, they've certainly experienced a decline but if anything they're back on the rise again. Since Dalglish has come back they've shown every sign of being able to compete at the top.

Heck, I'm a Liverpool fan, pretty cool by Lebron. But I must admit, Liverpool are chokeartists. Pretty sad

Liverpool aren't really choke artists, a few years ago they had great comeback wins in the FA Cup and UEFA Champions League. It's just that Steven Gerrard got old and Fernando Torres retired without telling anyone, plus all the ownership problems.

Anyway, as a Mancunian Laker fan, I find it funny that a group of Bostonians and now LeBron own Liverpool FC (for those of you who don't know, Manchester - where I'm from - and Liverpool share quite a big rivalry) :p

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I ****ing hate this as a Red Sox fan.

TO Rapz
04-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Thank god he didnt associate with Chelsea. I would of been pissed as a long time Chelsea supporter. Good on him for taking a rival cuz I am not a fan of him.

JiffyMix88
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Look at your division which you get to play 15 games against and look at ours and look how all of the heats losses have come in 3 separate stretches. When the heat play like they are capable there is nothing that gets in their way.

I guess its a good thing the heat no how to beat the bad teams because whats their record against winning teams again?

back on topic good that hes trying to make more business moves outside of the nba but investing in soccer :o

The Final Boss
04-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Lol @ the dude who said Liverpool as a huge following. Lebron is a clown, this stiff will never cease to amaze me. I'm just grateful in life that idiots like him will never have a ring unless its downloaded.

TboneM3
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Huge liverpool fan, but don't really like Lebron. As long as this means more $ for summer transfers I'm all for it!:clap:

kblo247
04-06-2011, 10:19 PM

This to a degree

And Kobe has owned half (50%) of the Italian League Basketball team his dad and Pringles used to play for, for years.

Yet and still, good for him to follow their path and invest his money in something wise

bholly
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Huge lol at this argument.

Huge liverpool fan, but don't really like Lebron. As long as this means more $ for summer transfers I'm all for it!:clap:

Doubt it has any effect on transfers whatsoever. LBJ is rich, even by pro athlete standars, but he isn't so rich he can start paying OTHER athletes.

Which is good news for us Arsenal fans. :up:

h2r09
04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I guess its a good thing the heat no how to beat the bad teams because whats their record against winning teams again?

back on topic good that hes trying to make more business moves outside of the nba but investing in soccer :o

idk but theyve lost 6 games to the top 2 teams in their conference by a combined 24 points and that is being weighed down by the opening night loss by 8. so besides that they have lost 5 games by and average of about 3.125 ppg. that shouldnt do much besides scare other teams considering the heat are trying to integrate 3 stars into late game situations and you only get better with experience.

theyve also beaten the lakers twice, the thunder, orlando twice, san antonio, denver, and the hawks 3 times.

AddiX
04-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Oh yeah, bron has done such an amazing job marketing himself and leveraging his fame and talent that his marketing company has gone completely no where, and his image has had the worst drop for a NBA superstar in the history of basketball.

Yeah, bron really knows what he's doing. He should let more of his friends run his companies and his career, heck of a job.

bholly
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Oh yeah, bron has done such an amazing job marketing himself and leveraging his fame and talent that his marketing company has gone completely no where, and his image has had the worst drop for a NBA superstar in the history of basketball.

Yeah, bron really knows what he's doing. He should let more of his friends run his companies and his career, heck of a job.

He's not talking about marketing and his image, he's talking about investing his money.

Personally, I'm not sure investing in a Premier League team is the best money move, but what you're saying has almost nothing to do with anything.

JiffyMix88
04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
idk but theyve lost 6 games to the top 2 teams in their conference by a combined 24 points and that is being weighed down by the opening night loss by 8. so besides that they have lost 5 games by and average of about 3.125 ppg. that shouldnt do much besides scare other teams considering the heat are trying to integrate 3 stars into late game situations and you only get better with experience.

theyve also beaten the lakers twice, the thunder, orlando twice, san antonio, denver, and the hawks 3 times.

we've beat the same teams you just listed and we actually beat boston and beat you guys 3 times but i like ur excuse for y we have a better record.....

ManRam
04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm surprised that I'm surprised that half the posts here are people hating on him...

h2r09
04-06-2011, 11:07 PM
we've beat the same teams you just listed and we actually beat boston and beat you guys 3 times but i like ur excuse for y we have a better record.....

not an excuse. in fact its pretty much fact. first off youve beaten us once barely when we had no lebron and barely beat us the other 2 times, and that really isnt anything to go crazy over because in basketball that is not really skill but a roll of the basketball.

your team has a much lower potential then the heat. the only thing stopping the heat is themselves. if the heat play with defensive disruptiveness like they are capable and stop settling for jumpers they are unbeatable. they just havent done that consistently all year.

i seriously can not wait till you guys are done in the conference finals.

DaBear
04-06-2011, 11:15 PM
LeBron already lost money on his investment. That's what happens when your highest education level is a high school degree.

marlinsfan24
04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm surprised that I'm surprised that half the posts here are people hating on him...

LMAO x2. This should be just a "oh wow, congrats to Lebron" and move on.

Ray_R
04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
not an excuse. in fact its pretty much fact. first off youve beaten us once barely when we had no lebron and barely beat us the other 2 times, and that really isnt anything to go crazy over because in basketball that is not really skill but a roll of the basketball.

your team has a much lower potential then the heat. the only thing stopping the heat is themselves. if the heat play with defensive disruptiveness like they are capable and stop settling for jumpers they are unbeatable. they just havent done that consistently all year.

Keyword. I dont know why you even turned this thread to bulls vs heat we have enough of those threads.

Ray_R
04-06-2011, 11:20 PM
LMAO x2. This should be just a "oh wow, congrats to Lebron" and move on.

Does "cool story Bro" count as congrats lebron because it really is a cool story.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-06-2011, 11:20 PM

This post is quite comical. Especially the bold. Your excuses keep getting worse, take another shot at the division aspect again.

marlinsfan24
04-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Does "cool story Bro" count as congrats lebron because it really is a cool story.

That's better then bring a Kobe-Lebron or Bulls-Heat comparison in to this.

John Walls Era
04-06-2011, 11:43 PM
what a surprise, every thread turns into a Heat vs Bulls debate.

bholly
04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
^^ If you mean h2r09 then that's not fair. He's the epitome of what people dislike in any fan bases on here - it isn't fair to tar all Heat fans with the same brush.

ChI_ShIzzLe
04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
If Lebron had smart financial people around him, they'd tell him to invest in oil futures from the Middle East. But the people around him are his friends who are as educated as he is so no surprise there.

theheatles
04-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Heat > Bulls

aussiepiston
04-07-2011, 12:09 AM

You realise that investing in a soccer franchise in europe is simply like taking money from your wallet and burning it?

At least with strippers and baby mothers you might get laid. No salary cap in sports just means crazy spending by ego-driven owners and managers searching for a title. It is NOT investing.

lakerboy
04-07-2011, 12:39 AM

In terms of business, Magic >> Jordan

shep33
04-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Liverpool aren't really choke artists, a few years ago they had great comeback wins in the FA Cup and UEFA Champions League. It's just that Steven Gerrard got old and Fernando Torres retired without telling anyone, plus all the ownership problems.

Well I mean league championships wise, it's been what since 89-90 since they last won it? Yeah Gerrard is old, Torres had a good short span there, hopefully it gets better over the years.

Mudvayne91
04-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Should've invested in a real team like Manchester United.

SteveNash
04-07-2011, 01:56 AM

As for Liverpool, they've certainly experienced a decline but if anything they're back on the rise again. Since Dalglish has come back they've shown every sign of being able to compete at the top.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jan/16/premier-league-footballers-tax-avoidance

That's been going on for a couple years now. The clubs are heavily indebted. England home grown talent is lacking to say the least. US should pull ahead of the UK in 10 years. As for Liverpool, sure ownership seems willing to spend, but I don't see why throwing wads of cash at Carroll is the solution. And I struggle to see how this is a wise investment for LeBron.

If Lebron had smart financial people around him, they'd tell him to invest in oil futures from the Middle East. But the people around him are his friends who are as educated as he is so no surprise there.

No.

bholly
04-07-2011, 02:11 AM

lol'd

Bruno
04-07-2011, 02:14 AM
I didn't know LeBron liked The Beatles.

He must be a HUGE Scottie Pippen fan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2vU8M6CYI

LakersMaster24
04-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Ummm I decided to take my talents to Liverpool....

AIRMAR72
04-07-2011, 03:21 AM
This to a degree

And Kobe has owned half (50%) of the Italian League Basketball team his dad and Pringles used to play for, for years.

Yet and still, good for him to follow their path and invest his money in something wise

YES IT IS... plus euros worth more than u.s dollars so bron is really making out GOOD in end since THE value on euros ALWAYS STRONG

Mudvayne91
04-07-2011, 03:23 AM
lol'd

I really hope he was trying to make a joke and realizes he went to Chelsea for 50 million pounds .

Wilson
04-07-2011, 05:01 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jan/16/premier-league-footballers-tax-avoidance

That's been going on for a couple years now. The clubs are heavily indebted. England home grown talent is lacking to say the least. US should pull ahead of the UK in 10 years. As for Liverpool, sure ownership seems willing to spend, but I don't see why throwing wads of cash at Carroll is the solution. And I struggle to see how this is a wise investment for LeBron.

I didn't know about the tax problems. That's a serious issue but it depends how widespread it is for it to really hurt the league.

I knew about a lot of clubs being in debt, it should be interesting to see how the new UEFA regulations help that (if at all). It's a shame that the Glazers had to tack a ton of debt on to Manchester United's books, prior to that the club was in a great place without debts.

When you say the US should pull ahead of the UK, they're probably already ahead of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. But it will be much longer than ten years before they overtake England, just because football gets all the focus over here whereas US Soccer has to compete with the NFL, NBA, MLB and to a lesser extent NHL and NASCAR.

Talent in England is not lacking at all, it's just that our national team is stuck in status quo mode - we have to play the guys who haven't won anything because they're the guys. We have to play them. The younger guys don't have experience! (I hate this, I've ranted about it in the soccer forum :p).

Carroll alone won't help Liverpool, but him and Suarez combined will give them a much better attack, then you have to remember how much the return of Dalglish and some stability with the owners has helped them.

I really hope he was trying to make a joke and realizes he went to Chelsea for 50 million pounds .

Of course I was joking :facepalm: :laugh2: Also I don't think Chelsea noticed that Torres retired either...

Mudvayne91
04-07-2011, 05:34 AM
^ well, you can never be sure on here. Maybe it's an English thing, but I've never seen the term retired being used as a joke to describe a player who isn't living up to their potential.

And I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of Capello at all. I'm surprised he retained his job after the world cup.

effen5
04-07-2011, 07:20 AM

You also lost to the Cavs

/discussion....

as for investing in soccer...gj lebron?

Wilson
04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
^ well, you can never be sure on here. Maybe it's an English thing, but I've never seen the term retired being used as a joke to describe a player who isn't living up to their potential.

And I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of Capello at all. I'm surprised he retained his job after the world cup.

It's not a widespread thing, it was just me being a sarcastic smart-*** :p

Don't get me started on Capello, I hate that guy.

BaustinSali08
04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I love how people actually think he is investing money into the summer transfer kit. All he is doing is making his name (brand) apart of the team to get more notoriety around the world and for Liverpool to get more popular in America and Asia.