PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Someone Taking a Stand on NBA "Gossip" Reporting

Tony_Starks
04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Marc Cuban is fed up with this gossip nba TMZ reporting, as most of us are, and spoke about what he wants to do about it. Its a lengthy article I just posted the highlights (I'll post the link) but what he's saying is right on the money.

Whats the role of media for sports teams ?
Apr 4th 2011 7:46PM

I’m going to make this short and sweet. In the year 2011, I’m not sure I have a need for beat writers from ESPN.com, Yahoo, or any website for that matter to ever be in our locker room before or after a game. I think we have finally reached a point where not only can we communicate any and all factual information from our players and team directly to our fans and customers as effectively as any big sports website, but I think we have also reached a point where our interests are no longer aligned. I think those websites have become the equivalent of paparazzi rather than reporters.

Do we really need to ask Dwight Howard and Deron Williams where they think they will be going in TWO YEARS ? Do we need to ask players “are you upset about the loss ?”

The internet reporters who get paid , IMHO , are to the Mavs and any sports team, the least valuable of all media . I’m a firm believer that their interests are not only not aligned with sports teams like the Mavs, but in fact are diametrically opposed. They tend to look at the number of page views they get for any article as ‘their ratings”. More is better. Which in turn leads them to gear their work towards generating more pageviews.

Now at this point traditional wisdom might say ” well if its about the Mavs and its generating pageviews, then it must be something that Mavs fans are interested in, so it must be a good thing. Its the equivalent of one of the dumbest sayings of all time “all press is good press”. All press is not good press for a sports team.

Internet writers will tell you, transaction rumors generate the most traffic. From a sports team perspective, this is not good. Why ? Because internet writers have so little creativity and originality. Any idiot can start a rumor, at which point the writer says (and to be fair, its not just internet writers who ask, but its 99pct internet writers who publish), “I hate to ask this but the rumor is out there that you are being traded to the pismo beach panthers. Can you comment”. From that point until the trade deadline, the same question in some form is asked over and over and over again of everyone in the organization. The hope isn’t that someone will say “yes its true”. The hope is that it will elicit a comment that is headline worthy. “George Mikan said he would happily consider a trade to Pismo” And on it goes and goes and goes. The result is that the team is often negatively impacted. Players get distracted. Team personnel get distracted and spend too much time dealing with the rumors. Its a negative for any team.

Of course rumors wont go away if a writer doesn’t have access, but we can reduce the stress of a player having a mike shoved in his face and asked the same question day after day. We also don’t have to legitimize the writer by giving them access to the locker room. We are better served making them the equivalent of the random “Maryslittlesportsblog.com” written by a 13 year old.

http://blogmaverick.com/2011/04/04/whats-the-role-of-media-for-sports-teams/

nickdymez
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
bravo, he's right.. Im sick of it too... Stupid questions just to get something to write about.

D Roses Bulls
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
great job cuban, I couldn't agree with you more. :clap:

ESPN won't like this one bit, I bet.

marlinsfan24
04-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Good stuff by Cuban! (For once ;))

haggis
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
a-men Cuban, amen

Tony_Starks
04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I love it man to me all this soap opera reporting cheapens the game, lets get back to talking about basketball.

I wonder will he allowed to do this though or will Stern fine him for excluding certain members of the media. I know he's big on the league being as "accessible" as possible....

mikealike305
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
im sorry were u saying something?? i was to busy looking at your sig lol

anyway, im glad someone is speaking out

Infamous916
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Tell em how it is marky mark!

jezzyman05
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
:clap: FINALLY !!!!!!!! TOO BAD NOTHING WILL PROBALY HAPPEN

Purple&Gold24
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Nice! I agree. It will never stop though.

pebloemer
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I feel bad for the few reporters that actually handle themselves with integrity. But Cuban is absolutely correct. State of media in sports journalism out of control and over the past two years has been down right pathetic with "gossip."

dtmagnet
04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Cuban is such a... Maverick!

Crackadalic
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
The media has become such a joke today.

fadedmario
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Cuban is one cool mother-****er

JNA17
04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Yay for Cuban for being right for once. Good stuff :clap: