PDA

View Full Version : Who should win Coach of the Year?

DenButsu
04-05-2011, 11:07 AM
NBA.com's Akshay Manwani lists his 5 top candidates (http://www.nba.com/india/basketball/whos_your_coach__the_year_2011_03_30.html) for Coach of the Year:

Doug Collins [Philadelphia 76ers]

George Karl [Denver Nuggets]

Nate McMillan [Portland Trail Blazers]

Gregg Popovich [San Antonio Spurs]

Tom Thibodeau [Chicago Bulls]

Who do you think should win it?

=================

In my (admittedly biased) opinion, if the Nuggets win 50 games, Karl really deserves it. In effect, he has coached two different teams, both under very adverse conditions (pre-trade: franchise player wanting out, badly undermining team morale and motivation, with the rumor mill making all look over their shoulders // post-trade: essentially combining two half-rosters almost immediately into a coherent whole, keeping well more than 5 players accustomed to starting happy in spite of limited minutes).

But particularly for the second half of the season. Most "experts" had either completely written off the Nuggets' playoff chances, with many more thinking that while they didn't do as badly as expected, it would be a team for the future, and not the present.

=================

I'll end by just acknowledging that other candidates definitely have strong cases to be made. Thibodeau weathering the Noah and Boozer injuries not the least of them, and a perhaps similar argument to be made for McMillan.

But what do you think?

Hawkeye15
04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Thibs. The Bulls were expected to challenge Atlanta for the 4th seed, and they are going to win the east due to Thibs bringing in his elite level defensive schemes.

Hawkeye15
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Collins is honorable mention for runner up imo.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-05-2011, 11:21 AM
i gotta give it to Thibodeau.

id put Karl in 2nd. he had to deal with the Melo drama and all new players in the second half and theyre obviously doing great.

haggis
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Thibodeau.

The defense he's implemented in Chicago is phenomenal, and the Bulls have exceeded every expectation this year.

Collins would be my #2 with the way that the 76ers have been playing.

nycericanguy
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Thibs. The Bulls were expected to challenge Atlanta for the 4th seed, and they are going to win the east due to Thibs bringing in his elite level defensive schemes.

I give it to Collins.

Yes CHI has had an amazing season, but they had a very talented team coming into this season and then added an all-star PF. I had them pegged for around 54 wins, looks like they will win a few more. Almost any coach except for VDN would win around 55 games with that team.

But PHI basically has the same team as last year and they are on pace for 45 wins when most people had them pegged for the lottery.

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Lionel Hollins

NYM1989
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Thibodeau.

The defense he's implemented in Chicago is phenomenal, and the Bulls have exceeded every expectation this year.

Collins would be my #2 with the way that the 76ers have been playing.

this says it all

PurpleJesus28
04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Thibs gets my vote. although a strong vote could be made for all of the candidates this year.

danniboi168
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Thibs def. bulls are great this year.

mrbtp
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Thibodeau, made the bulls team a real contender and fun to watch

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Tt

Baller1
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
1. Thibs
2. Karl
3. McMillan
4. Collins
5. Pops

Slimsim
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Collins or thibs

Tarheels23
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
1. George Karl... Has the Nuggets #5 with a major midseason roster shakeup. He had to deal with the Carmelo drama for 4 months. Denver is the 3rd best team since the break at 15-3. He has done a great job with his new roster, and I am betting on them to upset OKC in the 1st round.

2. Tom Thibodeau... Pretty self explanitory. Took a mediocre Bulls roster and created the Best D in the NBA. Many thought the Bulls would be a 3-4 seed (including me) and now they will win the East.

3. Doug Collins
4. Gregg Pop
5. Rick Adelman

Mile High Champ
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Lionel Hollins, I just have been so impressed with what the Grizz have done this year. I would never ever expected them to have a chance to win close to 50 games. If I am going with one of the front runners, it is Popovich.

shizzle09
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Collins
Thibs
Karl

Chi City23
04-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Thibs, Collins and Karl in any order. I'd be fine with any of those 3 winning it

Chi StateOfMind
04-05-2011, 01:02 PM
1.) Thibs
2.) Doug Collins
3.) Karl

Lake_Show2416
04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Thibs is going to get it

drama1386
04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
IMO, thibs should win with collins as runner-up.

Cool007
04-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I had Pop as #1 2 weeks ago but the way Spurs hit that bump on the road with few losses in a row and now only 1 game up on Bulls, making me give it to Thibs.

Bulls are the only team that haven't lost 3-in a row all year. Something that tells you about both Rose and Thibs.

Gotta reward both of them for having great success and putting the Bulls at the top of their conference and maybe just maybe the best in the NBA.

rhino17
04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I dont get the love for Collins

I'll go with Thibs, Hollins, or Karl

Khalifa21
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Thibs with Collins getting an honorable mention.

Tarheels23
04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
I had Pop as #1 2 weeks ago but the way Spurs hit that bump on the road with few losses in a row and now only 1 game up on Bulls, making me give it to Thibs.

Bulls are the only team that haven't lost 3-in a row all year. Something that tells you about both Rose and Thibs.
Gotta reward both of them for having great success and putting the Bulls at the top of their conference and maybe just maybe the best in the NBA.

So it has nothing to do with the other 14 guys on the roster or handful of coaches other than Thibodeau?

Lim
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I dont get the love for Collins

I'll go with Thibs, Hollins, or Karl

how can you not? same team as last year that went 27-55. sixers actually lost dalembert and willie green for pretty much nothing so really the sixers are a worse team then last year.

honestly i dont get all the love for thibbedau, his team is sttttttacckkkkedddd.

AIRMAR72
04-05-2011, 04:29 PM
coach collins

abe_froman
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
how can you not? same team as last year that went 27-55. sixers actually lost dalembert and willie green for pretty much nothing so really the sixers are a worse team then last year.

honestly i dont get all the love for thibbedau, his team is sttttttacckkkkedddd.
because thats a relatively recent way of thinking ,at the beginning off the year...hell even a month ago 85% of the people here wouldnt admit there was any quality on the team

that said.yes we have alot of good players and as much as i love thinbs,think he's deserving...but i dont want him getting it(mostly cux the coy curse) and thinking collins or karl are just as deserving ,my vote would go to karl

Crackadalic
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Thibs. The bulls are about to challenge for the best record in the league. They already have a 15 game improvement from the year before. They have the number 1 defense in the league and probably the best in years. Despite all the injuries they still able to play at a high level. Its his to lose

BcEuAbRsS
04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
^This Guy^

TylerSL
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I say Thibs or Collins. I would prolly give it to Thibs, Collins would deserve it also

Silent
04-05-2011, 05:55 PM
It's between 3 people in my eyes

thibs
karl
collins

rhino17
04-05-2011, 06:01 PM

essentially the same team was competing in the playoffs a couple years ago (just add Holliday instead of Miller at PG), they just bombed last season, and they still are not very good and would be in 10th place in the west

PennyMy#1
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
1. Thibs
1.5 Collins

2. Karl
3. Popovich

Mudvayne91
04-05-2011, 06:06 PM
i gotta give it to Thibodeau.

id put Karl in 2nd. he had to deal with the Melo drama and all new players in the second half and theyre obviously doing great.

I voted Karl just cause I'm a homer, but being unbiased, I'd say this.

ManRam
04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Thibs, easily. Just look at what he's done with that defense. It's not even that "he weathered the injuries" it's that he established an absolutely elite defense in one year, and that defense has been the most tangible reason for the turn around...and why they probably will have HCA in the East.

Q_bully
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Man I want to say Tom Thibodeau so bad, but the talent Doug Collins have been coaching and still having the success is impressing.

Gators123
04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
The obvious answer is John Kuester

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
essentially the same team was competing in the playoffs a couple years ago (just add Holliday instead of Miller at PG), they just bombed last season, and they still are not very good and would be in 10th place in the west

Exactly. And 10th would be generous. The Grizz are more like the same team as last year and have even improved on that team and could get the 6th seed in the playoffs. All the while losing Rudy Gay for the last third of the season.

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Thibs, easily. Just look at what he's done with that defense. It's not even that "he weathered the injuries" it's that he established an absolutely elite defense in one year, and that defense has been the most tangible reason for the turn around...and why they probably will have HCA in the East.

If that's the case then why should Rose be MVP? First it's Thibs as the main reason for the turnaround for the COY argument. Then it's Rose as the main reason for the turnaround for the MVP argument. If all that you said is true then that weakens Rose's argument for MVP.

Shammyguy3
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
If Rose doesn't get MVP, Thibs has to get this.
If Thibs get's this, I still think Rose should get MVP athough i wouldn't be upset.
One of the awards will end up in Chicago, if not both.

nickdymez
04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Lebron James

ManRam
04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
If that's the case then why should Rose be MVP? First it's Thibs as the main reason for the turnaround for the COY argument. Then it's Rose as the main reason for the turnaround for the MVP argument. If all that you said is true then that weakens Rose's argument for MVP.

I've always maintained that the defense is the main reason why the Bulls are so good this year. There's no contradiction in my rhetoric. :shrug: I've been reluctant all year to give Rose the bulk of the credit for the Bulls success. He deserves a lot of it, but it seems like from how a lot of people treat it, he's been the only reason for it. If you look at what really has improved this year, it's been the defense...and it's not hard to figure out why it's improved (hint: Thibs is a defensive Guru).

I don't get why Bulls fans campaign so hard for Rose, but are so apathetic in regards to this. IMO, Thibs deserves this more than Rose deserves the MVP. Both are very worthy winners, but this is where it's at.

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I've always maintained that the defense is the main reason why the Bulls are so good this year. There's no contradiction in my rhetoric. :shrug: I've been reluctant all year to give Rose the bulk of the credit for the Bulls success. He deserves a lot of it, but it seems like from how a lot of people treat it, he's been the only reason for it. If you look at what really has improved this year, it's been the defense...and it's not hard to figure out why it's improved (hint: Thibs is a defensive Guru).

I don't get why Bulls fans campaign so hard for Rose, but are so apathetic in regards to this. IMO, Thibs deserves this more than Rose deserves the MVP. Both are very worthy winners, but this is where it's at.

I really wasn't attacking you personally just the general situation where people are saying Thibs should be COY and Rose MVP.

CPJ08
04-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Thibs, he has actually made DROSE into an MVP candidate and made Deng look like he actually deserved that huge contract of his.

KG2TB
04-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Thibs, he has actually made DROSE into an MVP candidate and made Deng look like he actually deserved that huge contract of his.

Did Thibs really do that or did Rose, you know...progress like many 3rd year hard working players? Hmm....

Deng is playing great but statistically has had better seasons so you really need to know what you're talking about before you post.

Iggz53
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Collins has done wonders for the 6ers but Thibs has made a team full of average defensive players into the most dominant defense in the NBA, and has utilized the offense nearly perfectly, and his team has the 2nd best record in the NBA.

DenButsu
04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Why is what TT has done with Chicago's defense so much more impressive to everybody than what Karl has done with the Nuggets offense after losing their two top scorers?

Is it more impressive that Chicago leads the league in defensive efficiency (97.4) with Boston trailing close behind (97.7), or that Denver leads the league in offensive efficiency (109.5) with Miami trailing close behind (109.3)?

I'd say the latter. Not to mention the fact that Denver has no players averaging 16 or more points per game since the trade, and eight averaging double figures. And it should go without saying that simply improving their win percentage and playoff seeding so much when most thought both would take a hit after the trade is pretty huge in itself.

I'm not saying Thib doesn't deserve to win necessarily, and I actually wouldn't say that of any coach in the poll. But I'm surprised at how overwhelmingly everyone has thrown their hat in with him when there are really great cases to be made for the other coaches, too. If I didn't know better, I'd say that the media-fed perception of him already having won it via punditry has something to do with it... :rolleyes:

ManRam
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Thibs didn't make Rose into an MVP candidate, he just made that defense into arguably the best defense since the Celtics championship defense. Rose's offensive gains aren't due to Thibs, not at all. Yes, MVP candidacy is interrelated to team success, so in a way you can credit Thibs a little for helping Rose get to an MVP level of play, but Rose's individual offensive gains are not because of Thibs...not at all.

bulls_world23
04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Thibs

E.O.21
04-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Collins and thibs clos 2nd

Iggz53
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Why is what TT has done with Chicago's defense so much more impressive to everybody than what Karl has done with the Nuggets offense after losing their two top scorers?

Is it more impressive that Chicago leads the league in defensive efficiency (97.4) with Boston trailing close behind (97.7), or that Denver leads the league in offensive efficiency (109.5) with Miami trailing close behind (109.3)?

I'd say the latter. Not to mention the fact that Denver has no players averaging 16 or more points per game since the trade, and eight averaging double figures. And it should go without saying that simply improving their win percentage and playoff seeding so much when most thought both would take a hit after the trade is pretty huge in itself.

I'm not saying Thib doesn't deserve to win necessarily, and I actually wouldn't say that of any coach in the poll. But I'm surprised at how overwhelmingly everyone has thrown their hat in with him when there are really great cases to be made for the other coaches, too. If I didn't know better, I'd say that the media-fed perception of him already having won it via punditry has something to do with it... :rolleyes:

Team record is what separates them the most. And even though Denver doesn't have a traditional go-to scorer, they have several solid scorers (Lawson, Gallo, JR, Chandler, Nene, Afflalo, etc). They also play the 2nd highest pace in the league, which usually maximizes offensive efficiency.

There are always coaches deserving to win every year but not many have done the things that Thibs has in his first year in Chicago.

RowanJournalist
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
As much as I'm pulling for Collins, Thibs is doing an awesome job in Chicago.

Lim
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM

that team was significantly better (on paper) then this sixers team.

rhino17
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
that team was significantly better (on paper) then this sixers team.

idk about that, they are about the same

Raidaz4Life
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Thibs and to me it isn't even close.