PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone (Bother To) Watch the NCAA Finals?

hard_candy
04-05-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure what happened. I used to be a HUGE fan of the final four. This time around, I forced myself to watch, almost against my own will. I fell asleep during both final four matchups as well as during the championship game.

You used to be able to watch future pros as their games developed: Jordan, Patrick, Hakeem, amongst other greats. It was a real treat and a rare privilege watching the future legends playing as amateurs for several years in college.

This time around, I saw a bunch of short guys chucking up bricks from 20 feet out, in a futile attempt to make threes, and "big men" around the 6'8" or 6'9" mark, traveling, bumbling, and generally looking goofy trying to score.

At this point, the quality of play in college basketball is becoming an embarrassment. How is the tournament becoming more popular when the quality of play and athletes has taken such a sharp nosedive?

There weren't even any hot cheerleaders to distract. I mean, UConn and Butler???

mrbtp
04-05-2011, 04:05 AM
its sad but i completly agree with u :)

carson005
04-05-2011, 04:06 AM
The Kentucky/UCONN game was better than just about any NBA game I've watched in the last few years, at least to me. I don't watch a lot of NBA but always watch March Madness.

setman2000
04-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Horrible. Unwatchable. Worst final ever???

Bulls_fan90
04-05-2011, 04:30 AM
That's what happens when most of the top college prospects are one and done. College basketball has been on the decline for a long time.

CrazyShawn
04-05-2011, 04:50 AM
i didn't watch, i had better things to do.

YoungOne
04-05-2011, 05:12 AM
I don't like the ncaa rules...

magichatnumber9
04-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Butler ruined the whole thing.

Knickrocketsfan
04-05-2011, 06:47 AM
who won lol

Hawkeye15
04-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I watched. With the one and done rule, or for that matter, talent leaving so early, college basketball is hard to watch. The talent level is just so pathetic.

LA_Raiders
04-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I watched. With the one and done rule, or for that matter, talent leaving so early, college basketball is hard to watch. The talent level is just so pathetic.

Agree, most of the games are really boring.

mttwlsn16
04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
what a god awful final.
i watched and shut it off w about 8 min to go
that was pathetic

corky831
04-05-2011, 08:41 AM
ya it was an exciting tourney....the sweet 16s and elite 8 games were very good.....all close, brought about some serious upsets....but I probably wouldn't have watched any of it if I weren't a Uconn fan.....Their games against Arizona and Kentucky were exciting.....I liked watching Jimmer play as well.....the finals was an aweful game, but I was extremely happy uconn won, and that Calhoun got his 3rd championship

SANTHI
04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
yeah I fell asleep in the first half.

dnewguy
04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
After watching that game, I will have to sue for three hours of my life back. I hope the Supreme Court take up my case, someone's got to start manufacturing a time machine because this could get ugly.

pacofunk64
04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Up until last night the games were pretty damn good. Butler could not hit a shot for the life of them...kinda weird actually. But that game was overall terrible. Good D isn't usually a good thing in basketball for the viewers.

marvILLous
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
The tourney all together was exciting.. It was just a bad finals matchup.. And butler was locked down by Uconn..

Did anybody see Uk vs Ohio st.. That was the most intense game I've seen in a while lol

Tarheels23
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Well the NCAA selection comittee paved the way for an "underdog" to make a run... The Butlers and VCUs of the world had a pretty easy walk because the best teams in college ball were all on the other side of the bracket (except Kansas).

Most of the other games in the tourney would have been a better finals.... Kentucky OSU, NC Kentucky, UConn Arizona, Arizona Duke, San Diego Uconn etc all were matchups during the tourny that could have been the title game.

AllBall
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
NO.

Why the F would you put a championship game on a Monday night!!!?? Late as hell to boot too, and from what I heard boring. :pity:

Rivera
04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
i had to watch it my team was on....

but i was more watching wrestling last night cause i couldnt take how bad it was

just happy my school one :dance:

twoearl
04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Up until last night the games were pretty damn good. Butler could not hit a shot for the life of them...kinda weird actually. But that game was overall terrible. Good D isn't usually a good thing in basketball for the viewers.

Yeah the game was not the most easy on the eyes but in the end who cares? Everybody will forget how it played out in two weeks and just remember UCONN won. Kudos to Kemba and the crew for winning the chip.

el_primo_nano
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I was actually excited this year to watch the game. I cant recall the last time i saw an NCAA finals game, but I wanted to see Kemba and Lamb. The shooting was abysmal but I watched all of the 1st half and fell asleep 15 minutes in the second

iliketurtles24
04-05-2011, 10:33 AM
i wish players had to at least say two years, cause college bball kinda sucks now, oh and i pick uconn to win it all so im happy :)

CPJ08
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
how can the winning team shoot 35%, this was a horrible game

haggis
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
NCAA should put the baseball rule into place. You're free to go after high school, but if you commit to the NCAA, you are required to stay for 3 years.

Something needs to be done, or college basketball is going to continue to suck.

Slimsim
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
i had to watch it my team was on....

but i was more watching wrestling last night cause i couldnt take how bad it was

just happy my school one :dance:

Finally someone Who did the right thing

Melo15
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
NCAA should put the baseball rule into place. You're free to go after high school, but if you commit to the NCAA, you are required to stay for 3 years.

Couldn't agree more.

That was the ugliest basketball game I've seen in a long time.

cubbybear2290
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Yes I watched it, and in fact I hated it. It was terrible basketball I'm already a much bigger fan of the NBA than I am of college hoops regardless. But majority of my friends/peers are the exact opposite. Citing that NCAA is more intense, meaningful, amongst other words I hear all too often about college hoops. In fact here is my facebook post from last night at half-time:

anyone who feels this is a "good" national championship game, needs to reevaluate please. Intense of course but both are missing WIDE open shots over and over again. 6-28 shooting is horrid as is 9-37. Please don't mistake intense basketball for good basketball is what I'm saying

In short I was appalled by that being that National Title game. O well it is what it is.

Steelers23_06
04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
i enjoyed the game but that could be because i like kemba. i think he's a fun player to watch(even though this game want his best). but the reason i think its different is because back then teams would be more stacked than now. you would have multiple stars on a team usually especially beacuse there were more upper classmen. but now once you have enough talent to make it to the bottom of the 1st or beginning of the second their going (who can blame them) instead of developing into an nba ready player and making their college better. whatever though you still watched and so did i so college couldnt have hit rock bottom yet

29$JerZ
04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
It was a bad day for Butler to have an off night. Other than that the whole tournament was great. Really exciting.

J4KOP99
04-05-2011, 11:02 AM
We have an entire College Basketball forum. Post in there!

Hustla23
04-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm a huge college ball fan but this tournament was garbage.

mttwlsn16
04-05-2011, 11:07 AM

never knew MLB had that rule.
i definitely agree though, sounds perfect

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I watched the cinderellas. Good tournament when it came to that but the whole thing is rigged. No way in H*** were they going to let a midmajor win the Nat Championship. It would have disrupted the entire power of the NCAA giving midmajors more money, more tv time, etc which would hurt the power conferenes. And the power conferenes were NOT going to have that. In NCAA CB and CF, only the power conferences win, you never see a team from a midmajor win the championship. NCAA is worse than politics in the late 1800s.

danniboi168
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
that game was so bad, i expected a epic ending.

ElMarroAfamado
04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Sadly I watched. It has to be one of the worst finals in recent memory. It almost seemed like I was watching a WNBA Game or Womens NCAA game out there. That and the Possession arrow rule has to be one of the worst rules in the history of sports

210Don
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
i was busy watching another station the last memorable ncaa tournament ive watched and remembered was the george mason run

redsox0717
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Why is everyone saying the whole tournament was bad just because the final was bad? I thought the tournament in it's entirety was pretty exciting.

Sync
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
VCU vs Kansas was the most funniest to watch.

JUMPMANxAIRS
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
butler just jacked up 3's the whole game. pathetic, but still better than my skill level.

SoxBearsBulls!
04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Why watch a bunch of amatuers when you can watch the NBA?

Crackadalic
04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
The tournament was fun as hell. the finals was really really bad. How the hell do you shoot 18%? UConn defense wasnt even that suffocating to begin with.

jneises21
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
It was terrible.

Don't know if any final will beat the KU-Memphis a couple years ago

RaiderLakersA's
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
No. I don't watch much of collegiate level sports at all, no matter which sport it is.

NBAfan4life
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I watched a lot of the tournament. Not much of the final four. I dont watch any collge ball through the season. I fell in love with Arizone during the tourney. Once they were gone so was I.

hgtiger32
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
even tho i like the cinderellas of vcu and butler getting in. i gotta admit. the games weren't that interesting to watch

SteveNash
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
College basketball has always been awful for the most part.

killbumdeluxe13
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
The tournament was fun as hell. the finals was really really bad. How the hell do you shoot 18%? UConn defense wasnt even that suffocating to begin with.

Disagree. UConn's bigs had the paint on lockdown. Butler didn't score their first points in the paint until 4 minutes left in the 2nd half. UConn's defense is what won them the championship.

Kashmir13579
04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
it was just one game. the talent level was even worse this year than it is on average. Butler overachieved all the way to the championship game and the refs held Kemba's hand until he got there. Kemba and Butler both showed their true colors last night.

ChiSox219
04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
The best prospects had been skipping college altogether for more than a decade, I dont see why the one and done rule is to blame for the alleged drop off in NCAA talent.

I can't stand watching most college systems so I did not watch last night or any other night since I left college.

I'd rather watch Raptors-Bobcats

Kashmir13579
04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
imo, college ball is ALWAYS more entertaining than the NBA. thats just me though. i like my basketball players either going for that rookie contract, or just playing from the heart.

in the NBA they are all PAYED!!!! they don't give a **** anymore. just look at the lakers mediocrity right until the playoffs are about to start. its a half joke.

ChiSox219
04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
imo, college ball is ALWAYS more entertaining than the NBA. thats just me though. i like my basketball players either going for that rookie contract, or just playing from the heart.

in the NBA they are all PAYED!!!! they don't give a **** anymore. just look at the lakers mediocrity right until the playoffs are about to start. its a half joke.

I understand that watching the Knicks for the past 10 years might givenyou this impression but it's just not true.

abe_froman
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
bleh,i cant stand college bball for the most part.i know so many who love because of the excitement and thinking its somehow pure(a lie).but give me quality any day...and thats something college just cant deliver on

Sportfan
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Um, if that's the choice I bet 75% of the draft class will be coming out of high school

Tourney was good, just the finals sucked

Kashmir13579
04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I understand that watching the Knicks for the past 10 years might givenyou this impression but it's just not true.

LOL. quality post here.

care to explain how watching the BULLS for the past ten years has been leaps and bounds better? or do you care to explain how this isn't baiting and totally beside the point?

setting an example for your fellow Chitown fans.... great work, here. i really like what you're doing.

KnicksR4Real
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
too boring too watch my man.

abe_froman
04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
yes,college players dont get paid? i mean damn all those recruiting violation scandals every year must be what than?

its a typical argument i hear over and over.but.all the top players are usually one and done types,you think they actually give a ****. that if they werent forced to be there by rule they'd still go,that they arent more concerned with their draft stock?

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
yes,college players dont get paid? i mean damn all those recruiting violation scandals every year must be what than?

its a typical argument i hear over and over.but.all the top players are usually one and done types,you think they actually give a ****. that if they werent forced to be there by rule they'd still go,that they arent more concerned with their draft stock?

I agree. College players are paid. Either directly in cash we rarely hear about with a scandal, benefits, stipends, full scholarships, housing, etc. THAT is getting paid. That is the worst argument for college sports I've ever heard that "oh the players aren't paid, they do it for love" my *****. They're just as selfish as any other athlete out there don't let it fool you.

ChiSox219
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
LOL. quality post here.

care to explain how watching the BULLS for the past ten years has been leaps and bounds better? or do you care to explain how this isn't baiting and totally beside the point?

setting an example for your fellow Chitown fans.... great work, here. i really like what you're doing.

If most of the NBA games a person watched for the last 10 years were Knicks games, they saw the NBA at it's absolute worst. Logically they would say college was better.

I'm sorry you are sore but it's the truth. Say whatever you want about the Bulls, I don't care nor do I see how it's relevant.

KmB728
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm a Uconn fan so I loved it....

ugotpitsnoggled
04-05-2011, 06:52 PM
NCAA should make same rule for football and make players stay in college at least 2 years. Too many one and done players. Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, and Kevin Love come to mind in recent years. No question NCAA would have been more interesting if these guys stayed longer.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
NCAA should make same rule for football and make players stay in college at least 2 years. Too many one and done players. Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, and Kevin Love come to mind in recent years. No question NCAA would have been more interesting if these guys stayed longer.

The NBA has to make that rule, not the NCAA.

hard_candy
04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Haha, actually, the uconn vs. notre dame women's semifinal was pretty compelling. Much better played than the men's final.

But on point, the championship game played out a lot like a DII men's game: they're "tall" and they play hard, but the talent is outweighed by the goofiness and ineptitude.

Sadly I watched. It has to be one of the worst finals in recent memory. It almost seemed like I was watching a WNBA Game or Womens NCAA game out there. That and the Possession arrow rule has to be one of the worst rules in the history of sports

bmd1101
04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
The Kentucky/UCONN game was better than just about any NBA game I've watched in the last few years, at least to me. I don't watch a lot of NBA but always watch March Madness.

09 Bulls/Celtics series > that crap

king4day
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
I followed it on ESPN but had no interest. If it was close at the end I would have watched. Amazing how college BBall has such a lower rate of scoring even with 8 less minutes than the NBA.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
The thing I hate more than a freshman leaving ti be the first pick in the draft is when freshmen leave and some aren't pick until the late first round at the earliest and some are not even picked at all.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I followed it on ESPN but had no interest. If it was close at the end I would have watched. Amazing how college BBall has such a lower rate of scoring even with 8 less minutes than the NBA.

Some of it is because that college players don't have a jump shot yet.

madmoochie
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I haven't watch NCAA hoops in over 10 years. Last time I did was when iverson, kittles, and ray allen were rockin the big east

Chi StateOfMind
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
i just seen dancing with the stars had a better rating then the ncaa championship game lol

gocubs2118
04-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Except it's not the NCAA's call, it's the NBA's decision to put this in place. The sooner the NBA realizes a baseball type rule would benefit both the NCAA game AND the NBA game, the sooner the college game can get back to what it once was. Hell, I'd even settle for a 2 year mandatory stay if a player decides to go to college.

metsfaninSTL
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
i like college basketball better than nba. part of it is just because there is no team here so i just dont follow nba