PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley speaks of HS players requiring to play a year of college.. or two.

C_A_S_H
04-05-2011, 12:38 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/charles-barkley-speaks-hs-players-requiring-play-year-college-or-two
Got This From Nba Draft Forum Site
I Found This Interesting...
Discuss...

iFYouSeekAmy
04-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Agree. Make them stay for at least 2 years. No need to waste that much money on a guy who's only gonna be an one-year rental.

AddiX
04-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Agree. Make them stay for at least 2 years. No need to waste that much money on a guy who's only gonna be an one-year rental.

And no point watching a bunch of teams filled with a bunch of young knuckleheads who don't have a damn clue how to play NBA ball.

You look at some of these teams and more than half the roster should be Sophomores or Juniors in college, and than you realize why the team sucks.

And as soon as a team starts to look bad, what do they do? Purge all there best players(giving them away to the best teams in the league) for young ones who aren't NBA ready.

It's just another reason NBA is becoming a bad product.

The Jokemaker
04-05-2011, 02:16 AM
And no point watching a bunch of teams filled with a bunch of young knuckleheads who don't have a damn clue how to play NBA ball.

You look at some of these teams and more than half the roster should be Sophomores or Juniors in college, and than you realize why the team sucks.

And as soon as a team starts to look bad, what do they do? Purge all there best players(giving them away to the best teams in the league) for young ones who aren't NBA ready.

It's just another reason NBA is becoming a bad product.

And the NCAA even more of a joke.

WickedBadMan
04-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Should just make these kids stay 4 years in college but give them the free ride + stipend so we don't have to deal with all this gift / under the table BS. Two years? Why even pretend some of these kids are "student athletes" at that point if they are going to jump ship 1/2 way done. It should be no required time (you know, this is America) or require the full 4 and let the kids see a little of the millions and millions the NCAA makes off of them. And if we did the full 4 the NCAA would have potential for epic tournaments like in the past.

All in all the NCAA really just does what is in its best financial interests while saving face, I don't really even understand why the NBA goes along with it. To pretend they care about the education these kids don't get in one year?

The real crime is college football though, some of these dudes who prob could have made serious bank out of HS go down with a knee/shoulder injury and become worthless financially.

Hawkize31
04-05-2011, 03:15 AM
I agree that they should have to play 2 years, but more for the entertainment value of college. I typically enjoy college sports more that pro sports, and it sucks when a coach build his program the right way, recruits good players, and they play 1 year and walk away. I'd really like to see guys with talent stay 2, or even better, all 4 years in college.

I know that its a risk for the athletes to stay in school multiple, but I think it makes the on field or on court product so much better. Pro players will typically go where the money leads them. College kids get no money for playing, and you know they are there for more noble reasons. I know when Adrian Clayborn, who would have probably been a first round draft pick this past year, announced he was staying in Iowa City for another year and turning down millions of dollars and risking injury, he really cemented himself as one of the most devoted and loyal Hawkeyes in a long time. And yeah, if you make kids stay a 2nd year in college, its not the same as deciding to stay, but they are still playing for school pride, and I enjoy watching it.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-05-2011, 03:46 AM
I've always thought that college basketball should just do what college football does, make the kids stay till 3 years after high-school. If these incoming Freshman aren't capable of handling college at a University level, then go to JUCO for a year or two. By the way, I don't think the 3 years after high-school plan is going to realistically occur, I just think it should.

IrespectNumber3
04-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Some of this stuff about kids should be forced to not go into the NBA right away in my opinion is complete bs...Name one player who was outstanding and a projected top ten pick who sayed in the ncaa an extra year who improved his draft status and became a better NBA player? Its all fine and dandy to say these kids need to stay in the ncaa longer until its you. Look at ALL of the best players in the NBA tell me how many of the allstars in the nba allstar game went college all four years?
Dwight hs Amare hs Lebron hs Wade jr Rose 1 year. Kobe hs
The league is dominated by guys who went to the nba soooner than later. I don't buy that playing more college ball is gettting these kids any better

cambovenzi
04-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Whatever happened to freedoms?
If a team wants to draft a young player, and the young player doesnt want to go to college, i say good for them.

DodgerBulls
04-05-2011, 07:20 AM
If a team wants to draft a young player, and the young player doesnt want to go to college, i say good for them.

Another misuse of the word "freedom." Can I finish college without going through elementary or any levels prior to that? Just a bit of restriction will not hurt.

Niro
04-05-2011, 07:26 AM

this

if a team drafts a player on potencial its their fault
**** them if they are not smart enough to scout good players

KnicksorBust
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Some of this stuff about kids should be forced to not go into the NBA right away in my opinion is complete bs...Name one player who was outstanding and a projected top ten pick who sayed in the ncaa an extra year who improved his draft status and became a better NBA player? Its all fine and dandy to say these kids need to stay in the ncaa longer until its you. Look at ALL of the best players in the NBA tell me how many of the allstars in the nba allstar game went college all four years?
Dwight hs Amare hs Lebron hs Wade jr Rose 1 year. Kobe hs
The league is dominated by guys who went to the nba soooner than later. I don't buy that playing more college ball is gettting these kids any better

:clap: Great post. Garnett is another example as well. In a perfect world these kids would all graduate college. Their draft status would increase each year. They would never get hurt. The NCAA tournament would have actual rivalries from returning stars. The NBA would get a great class of polished rookies every year. The quality of both leagues would be improved.

Unfortunately it's not a perfect world.

sjoerdje
04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
if players can make money with their craft or explioted by the NCAA, i know what choice i'd make. players like Lebron and Howard will get one or two years of nothing while playing NCAA Basketball, while risking career ending injuries and such stuff.

The NCAA is good for nothing, they make Billions! why do you think most head coaches from Division 1 teams are the highest payed on their College/university. Many players go overseas just to get some money.

look at Brandon Jennings, he didnt go there because he wanted to, he went there because he wanted money for his play. An i think that fair enough.

cambovenzi
04-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Another misuse of the word "freedom." Can I finish college without going through elementary or any levels prior to that? Just a bit of restriction will not hurt.

1. Yes you can.
2. Its not the same at all. These are adults trying to get a job. Why should they be "restricted"?
The reasons are mostly trivial and very unnecessary.

P.S. it would be nice if you knew what a word meant before criticizing its use.
Freedom: the power to determine action without restraint.
Not allowing grown men to be hired is definitely restraining their actions.. and as I said, unnecessarily.

These are grown men we are talking about.
They should be able to make their own decisions.
Playing basketball is not a crime that should be restricted so much.