PDA

View Full Version : The Tragedy That Is: Travesty Outlawl

Young and Stupid
04-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I've been wanting to make this thread for a while, but I refrained from doing so because part of me wanted to believe that Travis Outlaw would turn it around and start to play at an at least average level. Surprise, surprise -- he hasn't. Now many may not be aware just how bad Outlaw is -- that's something that only us Nets fans have to endure and attempt to make sense of -- and that's completely understandable because no one cares about the Nets. However, to put it in perspective let's look at some of Outlaw's numbers this year.

Travis Outlaw's 2010-2011 Season:

MPG - 28.9
TRB - 4.1
PPG - 9.2
eFG% - 0.429
PER - 8.9
EWA - (-1.8)
VA - (-52.6)
WS/48 - 0.023

I don't know if I can effectively articulate just how bad those numbers are. The fact, that he has a sub-nine PER is mind-boggling. To tell you the truth, those numbers don't even emphasize how bad he is. Outlaw literally has a negative impact on the team when he's on the court, all hyperbole aside, the Nets would be better served putting a D-League player out there.

He's really not good at anything. He's too slow and clumsy to play the 3, but he's not thick enough to play the 4. His basketball-IQ rivals that of a seven-year-old; he's completely oblivious to what's going on around him and the worst part is that he's constructed a fictitious reality where he actually believes that he's good enough to warrant jacking up contested shots.

He constantly misses wide-open shots, he can't create his own shot, he can't drive, he can't pass, he can't dribble with his left-hand (literally), when he attempts to create he constantly bounces the ball off of his own leg, he misses dunks on a consistent enough basis that I'm not surprised when it occurs, he's completely uncoordinated, he's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen and he's completely blind to what's going on around him. It's gotten to the point where even the Nets announcers -- who are some of the most professional and objective in the business -- actually display a sense of bewilderment when he scores. The worst part is, he's on the books for four more years for a total of 28 million. I really can't emphasis how bad this guy is.

Now all of that has probably fallen upon deaf ears because -- as I said earlier -- he plays for the Nets and no one cares about them, but I'm writing this here for two reasons. One, to vent out my frustrations; despite being one of the more level-headed fans I've even gotten to the point where I get visibly frustrated by his presence. Two, to try to find out what happened. Whether you're a Blazers fan or a fan of the NBA who used to watch Outlaw, maybe you can shed some light on the situation.

From what I remember, Outlaw was a pretty serviceable sixth man for the Blazers. I remember him being clutch -- he was even glossed as "Mr. Fourth Quarter" -- relatively athletic (see: Facial #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6RWDC6JxY&feature=fvst), #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzq4ozGwoOM&feature=related), #3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-9EuB-5x6A) or #4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWyKXOiXKOM)) and a good energy player. Was I just seeing the highlights? Has Outlaw always been this bad? What happened? Did his recent foot injury really cause him to devolve into the player he is now?

As I said, I really can't articulate how bad he is -- you have to watch him on a nightly basis to understand, I'm sure that any Nets fans who see this will vouch for me. I'm not exaggerating. I'd just like to know from anyone who may have any information on Mr. Travesty Outlawl -- maybe I'll feel better if I know that he's always been this bad, I don't know. I need help.

Bonus Clip: Where Outlaw Happens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_U1rh_V0c)

Swashcuff
04-04-2011, 09:58 PM
And YOU proposed a trade that would send him to my 76ers. A change of scenery may help him but not at the expense of our most valuable defensive player.

Sadds The Gr8
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
hes ****in horrible, which is weird because he was solid on Portland and i thought it was a good signing for NJ. what a wasteman. SF is definitely on NJ's priority list this offseason

AddiX
04-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Don't take players from Nate McMillan.

He's the most underrated coach I'm the NBA, and has the ability to get way more out of these players than anyone else. I was begging for ny to go after him.

Instead we had zeke Thomas go after Jerome james courtesy if his great play during the sonics playoff run while mcmillan was still coach. and he never produced a damn thing for ny the entire time he was here.

Sixerlover
04-04-2011, 10:02 PM
:laugh2:

Travvy Outlaw

Swashcuff
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM

He's the most underrated coach I'm the NBA, and has the ability to get way more out of these players than anyone else. I was begging for ny to go after him.

Instead we had zeke Thomas go after Jerome james courtesy if his great play during the sonics playoff run while mcmillan was still coach. and he never produced a damn thing for ny the entire time he was here.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yankees Suck
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
If I were an NBA team, I would not trade expired Potato Salad for Travis Outlaw.

godolphins
04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
If I were an NBA team, I would not trade expired Potato Salad for Travis Outlaw.

:laugh2:

DoMeFavors
04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
The guy cannot shoot for his life, and lost all that explosivness he had in Portland, he cant dunk anymore. Plays zero defense. He is only good at free throws.

Slimsim
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
He was clutch as well in Portland

ElMarroAfamado
04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
haha Yeah the guy is pretty horrible, now it makes sense why the Clippers did not re sign him. The guy almost reminds of Corey Maggette minus the shooting abilities...

Young and Stupid
04-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Gonna bump this real quick because I was serious about trying to find out if Outlaw always showed signs of being this bad; can anybody shed any light on the situation?

Hawkeye15
04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
and just think, he is owed $21 million over the next 3 years....

I would say Jonny Flynn is just as bad, but the money thing kind of negates that

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Good signing by the Nets:rolleyes:

DenButsu
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
and just think, he is owed $21 million over the next 3 years....

I would say Jonny Flynn is just as bad, but the money thing kind of negates that

And people rode Portland for the Wes Matthews signing, which has proven to be not all that unreasonable after all...

BTW, are my eyes bad, or did your name change from bright blue to dark blue? If so, congrats, supermod. :cheers:

Reddd
04-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Pretty unexpected hidden statement imo

valade16
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Pretty unexpected hidden statement imo

:laugh: :laugh:

Rivera
04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
haha Yeah the guy is pretty horrible, now it makes sense why the Clippers did not re sign him. The guy almost reminds of Corey Maggette minus the shooting abilities...

lol everyone reminds you of corey maggette.....

we think we know who your favorite basketball player is

BklynKnicks3
04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
and the worst part is his contract which no1 mentions make him almost untradeble

danniboi168
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
dam no one wants this guy on their team.

MrfadeawayJB
04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
We had to endure Thabeet for two seasons....I dont even want to know what it feels like for you guys ecspecially with the $ he is making

Hawkeye15
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
and the worst part is his contract which no1 mentions make him almost untradeble

I mentioned it on the last page...

$21 million owed over the next 3 years.

Mc Uncle Cola
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
28m over 4y lol the guy is bad :facepalm:

vash9
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
It definitely is a tragedy.

Avery Johnson pushed the signing. Bad judgement.
Rod Thorn actually signing him for the amount. Worst decision.

Tony_Starks
04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
The thing about him was Portland was his perfect situation. If he was hot then fine but if he was off then Nate could yank him and replace him with Webster so they never really depended on him. Thats why when he had good games it was such a big deal but when he was messin up you didn't really notice because they had interchanging pieces.....

Crackadalic
04-05-2011, 03:10 PM
He's been garbage all season. I didnt think he be this bad. No basketball Iq and his defense just sucks. Worst off he's untradeable

Young and Stupid
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
The thing about him was Portland was his perfect situation. If he was hot then fine but if he was off then Nate could yank him and replace him with Webster so they never really depended on him. Thats why when he had good games it was such a big deal but when he was messin up you didn't really notice because they had interchanging pieces.....

Sounds legitimate, thanks Tony.

The only problem is, I've never seen this "hot" you speak of; maybe he's saving it for the Dwight-era. Wait a minute, now it all makes sense...