PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings calls out teammates, management

Gators123
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28275730

After the Bucks were virtually eliminated from the Eastern Conference playoffs in a loss Friday to the Indiana Pacers, Bucks starting point guard Brandon Jennings publicly expressed what many of his teammates had privately felt for months. "Some guys have the mind-set of winning on the team and some guys just don't,'' Jennings said.

Jennings then an indirectly took a shot at Bucks general manager John Hammond, assistant general manager Jeff Weltman and coach Scott Skiles, the three biggest personnel decision-makers in the organization next to owner Herb Kohl. "We traded a lot of pieces I feel like we should have kept,'' Jennings said. "But that's part of the business and you've got to roll with it.''

Jennings is 21 years old, has dealt with a foot injury that caused him to miss a bunch of time this season and is an emotional person who wears his heart on his sleeve. With that said, true point guards and leaders are better than this.

Clearly, any assessment of responsibility should start with Jennings himself. He's taken a step backwards this season statistically, averaging less than five assists despite starting 55 games so far and playing more than 34 minutes a night. Sure, the shooting talent around him leaves a lot to be desired, but ramping up his ability to get others involved would be a great first step in launching a "winning mindset" among his teammates.

Speaking of winning mindset, jacking five three-pointers a game when you shoot 32.5% from downtown is the opposite of a winning mindset. That's just bleeding inefficiency all over the court and setting up your team for failure. Three options: become a better shooter, take better shots or take fewer shots. The math on those numbers will never compute to success and it's not anyone else's fault. That's on Jennings.

Questioning your team's management is almost never a good idea in the NBA, especially when you're 21 years old. Nothing good can come from it and that type of thing has the power to alter a franchise's path in a negative way, cutting into the trust that needs to exist between front office and star player.

Hopefully there's someone that's in Jennings' ear right now letting him know that if he continues to be the 27th most efficient point guard in the NBA he better get used to dealing with the losing, regardless of how hard he's trying. Succeeding in the NBA isn't always about effort and dedication. No one can question Jennings' love of the game but he needs to develop his understanding of its nuances as well as the ability to hold himself accountable on the court before pointing the finger off of it.

blahblahyoutoo
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Speaking of winning mindset, jacking five three-pointers a game when you shoot 32.5% from downtown is the opposite of a winning mindset. That's just bleeding inefficiency all over the court and setting up your team for failure. Three options: become a better shooter, take better shots or take fewer shots. The math on those numbers will never compute to success and it's not anyone else's fault. That's on Jennings.

this pretty much sums it up.
he's not in any position to call anyone out.

Crackadalic
04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Thats why i didnt think it was a big deal when we passed up on him even though we needed a pg at the time. He's been inefficient all year and now he is blaming the organization. I wouldnt be surprise if they drafted a pg in the lottery that he be traded

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Yep he definitely should have been rookie of the year last year. It was because of him that they did so well....

Crackadalic
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Yep he definitely should have been rookie of the year last year. It was because of him that they did so well....

I think it was there defense that help. Bogut was playing like a allstar before he went down. They werent even in the playoff race until they traded for Salmons and went on that crazy run to grab the 6th seed. Jennings help the cause but isnt the main reason why they did so well

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I think it was there defense that help. Bogut was playing like a allstar before he went down. They werent even in the playoff race until they traded for Salmons and went on that crazy run to grab the 6th seed. Jennings help the cause but isnt the main reason why they did so well

Yep, he wasn't even reason #3 why they did so well.

Bulls_fan90
04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
1. Jennings is in no position to be calling out teammates & management because he's not very good.

2. What pieces did the Bucks trade away?

goblazers7
04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Jennings should not do this. Looks bad on him, and really, hasnt played well. I hate people who blame their bad play and losses on other things, let alone management.

LA_Raiders
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
bad move by jennings, let your game do the talking young man

GodsSon
04-04-2011, 09:06 PM
1. Jennings is in no position to be calling out teammates & management because he's not very good.

Charlie Bell and Dan Gadzuric? lol

Letting Ridnour walk really hurt them as well

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Jennings is too young to be calling out the organization.

ManRam
04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I liked what they did this off-season, so color me stunned that they regressed this much. Jennings has a right to be upset, but he's gotta take some blame himself. He didn't improve really at all this season. The team is great defensively, and he's supposed to be the offensive leader...and it's the worst offensive team in the league.

Maggette and Gooden really didn't pan out like they needed to. And then there's Mr. Redd.

I just think the players just underperformed. I wouldn't blame management here, or even coaching. I think it's the players. I'm a fan of Skiles, so I might be biased, but I think these guys just didn't get it done. Too many inefficient shooters.

But basically, Jennings shouldn't be saying this to the media. He's gotta be putting in the work himself, and leading his team. Not whining about the management to the media.

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Charlie Bell and Dan Gadzuric? lol

Letting Ridnour really hurt them as well

Honestly letting Ridnour go probably did hurt them. With him gone they don't have a single efficient offensive point guard on their roster.

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I liked what they did this off-season, so color me stunned that they regressed this much. Jennings has a right to be upset, but he's gotta take some blame himself. He didn't improve really at all this season. The team is great defensively, and he's supposed to be the offensive leader...and it's the worst offensive team in the league.

Maggette and Gooden really didn't pan out like they needed to. And then there's Mr. Redd.

I just think the players just underperformed. I wouldn't blame management here, or even coaching. I think it's the players. I'm a fan of Skiles, so I might be biased, but I think these guys just didn't get it done. Too many inefficient shooters.

But basically, Jennings shouldn't be saying this to the media. He's gotta be putting in the work himself, and leading his team. Not whining about the management to the media.

Bingo. Jennings can't ***** to the media until...I'll just say until he shoots over 43% from the field.

AddiX
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
It's amazing Jennings plays for skiles, I thought skiles was suppose to be tough on pgs.

Is there a pg in the entire NBA who does whatever the heck they want more than Jennings?

He shouldn't even be allowed to speak to the media, this guy is as stupid and immature as they come.

Tony_Starks
04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't mind Jennings saying this because at least he's gives it 100% everynight. He still makes alotta mistakes but he's a young pg, he has a lotta room to go. If he hadn't went down this season they probably still get back to the playoffs.

He has to get up a whooooooooole lotta jumpers this summer but at least he's trying as opposed to the Maggette's of the world that could care less if you win or lose.....

Hustlenomics
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
i like how the future of the Bucks can't talk about his team

Hellcrooner
04-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Jennings is a plane bout to crash.

Someone show him a biopic about JR Rider....

godolphins
04-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Brandon speaking out huhhhh.....

topdog
04-04-2011, 11:33 PM

1. Everyone should know by now that Maggette can get his but he is not a winner.

2. The players overperformed last year. That is not a very good roster.

3. Everyone should also know by now about the Salmons Honeymoon (Kings, Bulls, Bucks) and know to quit when you're ahead.

4. This is why Jennings "fell" in the draft. He has no problem ripping his own guys in public.

Chi StateOfMind
04-04-2011, 11:55 PM
i like that hes being vocal but probably not the best time,player or even person to call out team and management.....i can see if he was dominating and no one else was contributing..

ilovemyangel
04-05-2011, 12:17 AM
you know, brandon jennings always blame the ppl around him but himself. remember when he was cut by the USA team? apparently it was 'Nike's fault'. and now this.

JayW_1023
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Well if a point guard takes at least 5 ridiculous shots every night maybe he should reflect on himself first.

John Walls Era
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
I love when players call out the team. Problem is that they need to be good

hgtiger32
04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Thats why i didnt think it was a big deal when we passed up on him even though we needed a pg at the time. He's been inefficient all year and now he is blaming the organization. I wouldnt be surprise if they drafted a pg in the lottery that he be traded

Jennings isn't going to be traded. He's what?- 21? Young player with lots of upside. Look at how Mike Conley is finally putting it together, so I'm not overly concerned about Jennings

I don't mind Jennings saying this because at least he's gives it 100% everynight. He still makes alotta mistakes but he's a young pg, he has a lotta room to go. If he hadn't went down this season they probably still get back to the playoffs.

He has to get up a whooooooooole lotta jumpers this summer but at least he's trying as opposed to the Maggette's of the world that could care less if you win or lose.....

exactly. if you've watched the Bucks at all this season you would know that Jennings shooting is our best option- thats how bad it is. Salmons and Maggette haven't done *****. Delfino has been our best outside shooter but he's been hurt for a lot of the year. And Bogut still isn't over that elbow injury from last year. but like you said above, he gives 100% every night when most of the other players don't give a *****

Iggz53
04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
It must be his teammate's and coach's fault that he is one of the least efficient players in the NBA for the 2nd straight year.

mttwlsn16
04-06-2011, 02:07 PM
i dont see a problem, just trying to fire up his team to get them to play at the level theyre capable of, himself included

hgtiger32
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
It must be his teammate's and coach's fault that he is one of the least efficient players in the NBA for the 2nd straight year.

or the fact that he's in his 2nd year in the NBA as a 20 year old?

yangx620
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
i knew the guy was a bone head, and that proves my point, he should shut up and play, dude has a sophomore slump, he wasnt nothing special this year...

and when your best players are bogut and jennings, your team is on crack

yangx620
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
who wants to be called out by a second year punk?

smith&wesson
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
jennings shouldnt be calling any one out. specially not when the playoffs are right around the corner.

mavwar53
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
It's amazing Jennings plays for skiles, I thought skiles was suppose to be tough on pgs.

Is there a pg in the entire NBA who does whatever the heck they want more than Jennings?

He shouldn't even be allowed to speak to the media, this guy is as stupid and immature as they come.

Everything besides the comments that he's recently made says otherwise.

BlinkManJan02
04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
It's been tough being a Bucks fan, with nothing really to hope for but maybe the 8th seed every year. I'm waiting for Jennings to demand a trade now, just wait for it. Thank god we have the Packers in Wisconsin.

Cool007
04-06-2011, 03:05 PM
The problem here is that Jennings instead of being a part of solution, he is actually also a part of the problem.

After saying all these things, how does he respond vs Magic??? a Big time COSTLY turnover with 1 min remaining down by 2 and Hedo makes a huge shot. jennings missed shot after shot after shot in the clutch as well.

I would have so much respect for him if he had played great after saying those things. Just like how Dwight said about same few weeks ago and responded in a BIG way.

hgtiger32
04-06-2011, 03:15 PM
i knew the guy was a bone head, and that proves my point, he should shut up and play, dude has a sophomore slump, he wasnt nothing special this year...

and when your best players are bogut and jennings, your team is on crack

:facepalm: bogut and jennings are pretty good players. not bonafide all stars but still good enough that doesn't make the team on crack.

jennings shouldnt be calling any one out. specially not when the playoffs are right around the corner.

playoffs? the bucks aren't making the playoffs.

It's been tough being a Bucks fan, with nothing really to hope for but maybe the 8th seed every year. I'm waiting for Jennings to demand a trade now, just wait for it. Thank god we have the Packers in Wisconsin.

no kidding. the packers winning the super bowl was good enough for me. id be cool if the bucks and brewers never win another game. haha jk

Kashmir13579
04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
NEWS FLASH: you're on the BUCKS, dude. suck it up and wait for your big payday. or suck it up, wait for Redd's contract to come off the books, and try to revive the franchise. its not going to happen overnight and this is the situation you are in. "roll with it". you're playing with one of the top 3 centers in basketball.

Steelers23_06
04-06-2011, 04:13 PM
lol i think his head got big from the a.i. comparison haha. all he needs is a practice rant and a million times more skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDLCgJ8giCc

0nekhmer
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
fine his ***. He aint Lebron. lol even lebron didn't call out his team/management in such a direct manner

Punk
04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
You guys could say what you want but they wouldn't have been a playoff team if he and Salmons didn't help them. So, he does deserve a say considering he is the franchise PG.

Skiles made some terrible end of game plays which is not on the players. So, fault goes all around but if this continues, someone (probably Jennings) will get traded. The Bucks are a no-nonsense organization.

Jodie Meeks, Charlie Bell, Gazuric, they also let Ridnour walk.