PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a stat

Wade>You
04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I want to know how much a player accounts for their team's offense and/or possessions.

Thanks.

Chronz
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Are you asking for a touches count or simply a players usage? There are 2 main usage stats.

Pomeroy's Usage%: Which is basically the percentage of possessions 1 player accounts for on a per minute/per possession basis. Possessions meaning (FG/A, FT/A, TO's)

Hollinger's Usage Ratio: Which is the same as above only he attempts to credit playmakers by adding assists into the conversation.

Both have their strengths and limitations. If your a pass first player your usage is likely to be low even though you do account for alot of the teams possessions.

Usage% is straight up individual output, and because theres no double counting makes it alot easier to sum up a teams distribution of shots and their correlating efficiency.

If you want a touches count then your **** out of luck, thats far too complicated for public statisticians to do without new equipment (coming in 2012 hopefully), the closest we have to that is a limited version of synergy that tells you how often a player accounted for a certain set.

So which are you looking for?

Wade>You
04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Chronz. Very informative.

I think Hollinger's Usage Ratio is the one I'm looking for.

I'm gonna go look for it on ESPN.com, but if it's not easy to find, do you mind dropping a link?

edit: nvm I found it.

DenButsu
04-05-2011, 05:54 AM
thats far too complicated for public statisticians to do without new equipment (coming in 2012 hopefully)

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Chronz
04-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Im pretty sure it was from an article you posted, about motion sensors and such

DenButsu
04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Im pretty sure it was from an article you posted, about motion sensors and such

Heh, well I guess that just goes to show I'm getting senile in my old age.