PDA

View Full Version : Amar'e Stoudemire's feelings must be mended as Carmelo Anthony takes over as Knicks'

Purple&Gold24
04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Once the Knicks clinch a playoff spot, then they'll decide how much rest they'll get Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony.

The case can be made that the two stars should keep playing right through the regular-season finale on April 13 at Boston, without burning themselves out, so that they are on the same page before the postseason starts.

Lately, it's been apparent that Stoudemire isn't wild about having Anthony inherit his role as the team's go-to player.

"Looks like Amar'e is in a funk," said one Eastern Conference GM this past week, after watching Stoudemire play without his normal maniacal intensity in the Knicks' wins over Orlando and New Jersey, while Anthony was putting up more than 30 points and getting the shots in crunch time in both games. "But you could expect that when they made the trade for Carmelo."

Of course you could. For the first 54 games of the season, Stoudemire was having the time of his life in New York, enjoying his role as King of the Knicks and the team's lone star. Finally, he had the big stage he craved and his own team he could never have in Phoenix.

When Stoudemire was a Sun, Steve Nash had the spotlight, and even though his primary job was getting Stoudemire the ball and helping him become an All-NBA performer, Stoudemire wasn't crazy about that situation, even with Nash anything but a publicity-seeker.

Now he's got Anthony, who loves being a star and a celebrity, who is easier to get the ball to on the perimeter, and, as you may have noticed, likes to hold it. For long stretches. Before he shoots.

No wonder Stoudemire needed a couple of days this past week to get a break. It's not easy getting passes inside, or competing against Anthony, another "alpha dog," to use Mike D'Antoni's term.

"I think it makes a difference, it could be for good or for bad, you'd have to ask him about that, exactly," D'Antoni said. "But we'll try to make it for the good so he doesn't have to carry the load down the stretch."

But as D'Antoni knows, Stoudemire was more than happy to shoulder the load and lead the team. So how much success the Knicks have in the playoffs could well depend on how he adapts to this new role. Although their case is different, the Knicks aren't the only team facing the dilemma of resting stars versus playing right through into the playoffs.

After spending most of the season on a pace to win 70 games, while running away with the NBA's best record, the Spurs went into Sunday on a six-game losing streak, the longest in the Tim Duncan era, and in jeopardy of being caught by the Lakers for the league's top record. With the Lakers going 17-1 since the All-Star break, the Spurs' lead of seven games stood at only one and a half on Saturday.

Maybe is this why he called pau soft? Just being moody :shrug:

Purple&Gold24
04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Opps heres the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/02/2011-04-02_amare_stoudemires_feelings_must_be_mended_as_ca rmelo_anthony_takes_over_as_knick.html

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Melo is hogging the ball and it hurts the team, knicks record with Stat was decent at least.

Stat should be the main guy on the Knicks imo.

king4day
04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
What did he expect? Just wait if they get Howard too. He'll be their go to offensive weapon and Amar'e will be lost (or traded).

godolphins
04-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Melo do take a lot of shots

Ripper Gein
04-04-2011, 05:41 PM
please knick fans let's keep this CIVIL:rolleyes:

NYKnicks4511
04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Amar'e dropped 28 yesterday... He's not in a 'funk' as that writer describes it.

Amar'e came out and said that he actually didn't mind Melo taking some of the spotlight and scoring load off of him. Dude was playing 40 minutes a night for the first half of the season, he still gets the MVP chants at the Garden, he's fine. (for now)

allSUAVE
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
its official PSD NEEDS THE Knicks.

its 30 teams in the nba. :facepalm:

Amar'e is crazy happy to be in NY. plenty of room for many superstars"

knicksnow.com if y'all love us so much.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Melo is hogging the ball and it hurts the team, knicks record with Stat was decent at least.

Stat should be the main guy on the Knicks imo.

Calling Melo a "Ballhog" shows just how much you watch the Knicks play, let alone Carmelo play.

allSUAVE
04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Calling Melo a "Ballhog" shows just how much you watch the Knicks play, let alone Carmelo play.

Carmelo is a ball hog. :laugh2:

ask that guy who attempt more shots durrant, kobe, rose and melo .list it in order.

ChicagoRox
04-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Opps heres the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/02/2011-04-02_amare_stoudemires_feelings_must_be_mended_as_ca rmelo_anthony_takes_over_as_knick.html

LOl. i was reading your first post. And was like woah this dude just wrote a crazy article. But then I read this post lol

Kashmir13579
04-04-2011, 06:05 PM

what?! "let alone Carmelo", he says :laugh:

biggest ball stopper in the NBA, most likely.

nickdymez
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
No one here watches games.. Im pretty much convinced of that. And stories like this are stupid imo. Theres no way in hell Amere thinks he could do any type of winning without another superstar. I can guarantee he knew that when he signed as a free agent there would be another superstar that would follow him there... this is dumb

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Yes he is, he averages like what??? 2 assists per game.

When I have seen him play he rarely passes the ball, especially when doing his crazy spinning tricks to get into the paint which are often called for offensive fouls and he has fouled out bunch of times already.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Knicks will be fine once they get Deron Williams.

Kinda wish they kept the old roster though for some reason. I actually liked that knicks team. Danillo, Felton, and Chandler don't look right in light blue to me.

allSUAVE
04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
No one here watches games.. Im pretty much convinced of that. And stories like this are stupid imo. Theres no way in hell Amere thinks he could do any type of winning without another superstar. I can guarantee he knew that when he signed as a free agent there would be another superstar that would follow him there... this is dumb

exactly.

danniboi168
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM

:clap:

allSUAVE
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Knicks will be fine once they get Deron Williams.

Kinda wish they kept the old roster though for some reason. I actually liked that knicks team. Danillo, Felton, and Chandler don't look right in light blue to me.

I Think we would have a better chance getting CP3. and that's the plan.

He the one that started this whole forming their own big 3 thing in NY.

nycericanguy
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
lol wow so some "unnamed source" says "Amare is in a funk" and now people are bashing Amare and saying he is unhappy not being the #1 guy?

This has to be the dumbest thread I've seen in a while. Find me 1 quote where Amare says or implies that he is feeling down or unhappy about the trade or about not being the clear aplha dog

Da Knicks
04-04-2011, 06:18 PM

When I have seen him play he rarely passes the ball, especially when doing his crazy spinning tricks to get into the paint which are often called for offensive fouls and he has fouled out bunch of times already.

Watch some knick games, Melo has had about 7-9 assist these lasts games. He is very underrated as a passer and you clearly are one of his biggest haters. Thanks for having me in your sig, don't change it when Melo makes you look like a fool.:cool:

shep33
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I've said it before, but this season is already a success for the Knicks. They made the playoffs, they've got arguably 2 top 10 players in the league, so even if it doesn't work out in the playoffs they'll have their foundation there.

I'm actually really impressed with Melo's passing of late too. They just need role players badly.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Watch some knick games, Melo has had about 7-9 assist these lasts games. He is very underrated as a passer and you clearly are one of his biggest haters. Thanks for having me in your sig, don't change it when Melo makes you look like a fool.:cool:

Yes in last 3 games combined he has 10.

Evolution23
04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
When did Kobe become Steve Nash? Kobe is a master at taking terrible shots. Just look at his stats in the Finals, Gosoft saved his *** once again.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
When did Kobe become Steve Nash? Kobe is a master at taking terrible shots. Just look at his stats in the Finals, Gosoft saved his *** once again.

This thread has nothing to do with Colby.

Evolution23
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
This thread has nothing to do with Colby.

now it does. Nobe is a ballhog, noboby likes him. Melo is a better passer than Nobe.

NYtilIdie
04-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh, he's unhappy?

Stoudemire answered that question on Saturday, claiming he has no problem sharing touches and airtime with Anthony.

"I can give him a little of the spotlight and take some of the lights off of me," the All-Star said

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6284488

Straight from the man's mouth himself, no "un-named sources" that have opened up as of late.

Also Amare's last 3 games have been very efficient scoring wise.

nycsports2
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
i think hell be ok he had 28 in a big game last night yes it was cavs but they clinched sooo.... ya

jp611
04-04-2011, 06:44 PM
For the people saying that CP3 is going to come to the Knicks, they better realize that the CBA is changing and there will be a practically no chance for the Knicks to get him if he wants top dollar, which he will

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
now it does. Nobe is a ballhog, noboby likes him. Melo is a better passer than Nobe.

Are you being sarcastic?:confused:

FlakeyFool
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I think Amare is jealous of Andy Rautins

NYtilIdie
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
"There's always enough room for a few superstars, there's always enough room," Stoudemire said on Saturday. "It's a matter of us continuing to win and continuing to get better as a team. That's the most important factor."

Evolution23
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Are you being sarcastic?:confused:

this thread isn't about sarcasm

calibird707
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Go away knick haters and quit making bait threads..

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
this thread isn't about sarcasm

Then don't be sarcastic.

has Melo averaged 6 assists per game over a season like kobe??? answer is no, he's career high is 3.4 apg.

And Kobe plays on triangle offense fyi, which is all about ball moving, its not an offense where there is only one main ballhander/playmaker.

I believe kobe would average 7-8 apg in different offense like in the knicks.

jimm120
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Then don't be sarcastic.

has Melo averaged 6 assists per game over a season like kobe??? answer is no, he's career high is 3.4 apg.

And Kobe plays on triangle offense fyi, which is all about ball moving, its not an offense where there is only one main ballhander/playmaker.

but quite honestly, it also has to do with how he played in the system. The Denver system did not really allow for a SF to be a 7 or 8 assist guy like Lebron.

After watching Melo on the Knicks, I DO feel that he can be a 4/5 assist per night type player. Its more about what is asked of him. He's not LeBron with his passes. He's just not that. But for a SF, I've seen some good passing since he came to the Knicks.

So, the Denver system didn't really put him in the role to get assists. The NY system has after a while.

John Walls Era
04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
:( Poor Amare.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Asists don't nesisarily mean you pass the ball alot... There about play making ability... So by your definition, is Anthony Carter who's a PG who's job it is to distribute the ball. only averaging 4 career asists per game (1 more then Melo) a ballhog as well? NO. Sooo... just going off what your saying you CLEARLY don't watch Melo cuz his post spins are almost unstoppable, and more often then NOT lead to buckets, or him going to the FT line. lol "Melo has fouled out a bunch of times already" lol... melo's fould out 3 times this season bro in 77 games... so thanx for proving my point.

So don't sit there and act like you know how Carmelo plays, or how the Knicks play.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Asists don't nesisarily mean you pass the ball alot... There about play making ability... So is Anthony Carter who's a PG who's job it is to distribute the ball. only averaging 4 career asists per game (1 more then Melo) a ballhog as well? NO. Sooo... just going off what your saying you CLEARLY don't watch Melo cuz his post spins are almost unstoppable, and more often then NOT lead to buckets, or him going to the FT line. lol "Melo has fouled out a bunch of times already" lol... melo's fould out 3 times this season bro in 77 games... so thanx for proving my point.

So don't sit there and act like you know how Carmelo plays, or how the Knicks play.

Carter is a scrub, he plays what 10 minutes a game.

And yes assists show how much a player passes the ball.

knickfan33
04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
knicks are stats team and always will be......

knicks are 2 players away from being a serious title contender... wait till they get a point guard.... billups cant play in this system.. neither can douglas... they need someone who can drive and dish....as much as deron may be the best true pg in the nba i hope we dont get him..he reaks of marburry....

BigBlueCrew
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
This is a serious thread?

"amare's feelings must be mended?" What is the next Knicks related thread? "Billups head needs to be waxed""

Tony_Starks
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I hope Amare is smart enough not to take the bait and buy into the NY media bs. If your not mature enough to handle it they can really get in a young players head with leading questions about Melo and trying to create a rift and all that.

There's enough room for both. Melo is always going to be a ball stop but at the end of the game I'd rather have the ball in his hands then STAT.

Chronz
04-04-2011, 07:22 PM

I was going to say, that's some nice piece of writing you got there, good read nonetheless.

LA_Raiders
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Big Shoot needs to control the game, Melo is great, but he is messing up the team play...

Geargo Wallace
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
does it matter whose team it is?

jsimms92
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
The only reason this thread was made was to bash knick fans because Amare called Pau soft

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Carter is a scrub, he plays what 10 minutes a game.

And yes assists show how much a player passes the ball.

Lol ok bro.

NYK4L
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
The only reason this thread was made was to bash knick fans because Amare called Pau soft

There you go..

nickdymez
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Then don't be sarcastic.

No one on this board really knows basketball.. This will fall on deaf ears

Purple&Gold24
04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
LOl. i was reading your first post. And was like woah this dude just wrote a crazy article. But then I read this post lol

:laugh:
One day haha

Crackadalic
04-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Didnt Amare text Melo over allstar weekend about wanting him to team up with him? If he wanted to be the top dog i dont think he would have push lebron to come to NY in the summer last year

godolphins
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Melo and Stoudamire has been friends since high school so they're cool playing with each other