PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
We all know Evan Turner hasn't nearly lived up to expectations as the #2 overall pick this season, not even close.

It's the hottest topic of debate in the Sixers forum and I thought I'd get the rest of PSD's opinion on it.

I see a lot of people ragging on Evan and that's totally understandable. I would be too if I hadn't watched him every game, because he hasn't done anything amazing this season. He looks goofy, he has a funny voice, and he seems like a nerd, but he's got a lil game.

Evan started off the bench, got moved into the starting rotation but struggled and was eventually replaced by Jodie Meeks and relegated to the 8th man role. A couple weeks ago, Doug Collins made it known that Evan may be left off of the playoff rotation to make way for Nocioni's veteran experience.

But with Noc playing worse in his spot minutes than E.T, many of us Sixers fans are baffled as to why he isn't being given a chance.

When starting (with Iggy out) Evan gets: 13.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.8 apg, 45%FG, 30% 3pt, 85% FT.

I realize that's a small sample size of only 7 or so games, but clearly Evan would be having a much better season if Iggy didn't exist lol.

The reality is Iggy seems to be here to stay, and Evan has only had a handful of standout games this season while struggling to make his transition as more of an off-the ball player.

He has shown flashes of brilliance and has all the talent and work-ethic to succeed, but he clearly is having trouble finding his role playing behind Andre Iguodala (who possesses a similar skillset to E.T's, with Evan being the better ballhandler and rebounder and iggy being more athletic and better passer).

I personally believe that he has Brandon Roy potential, but if his confidence never comes back, I worry about his future.
No, he isn't going to dunk on you like Blake Griffin, but he is sneakishly athletic and quick with the ball. His dribbling is surprisingly good for someone his size and he rebounds extremely well from his position. He has all the same tools and his midrange game was his go to weapon in college, but in the NBA his shot has been completely off as his confidence has wavered.

It's frustrating as hell that he hasn't been able to step in right away, but from what I've seen, when that midrange is falling he has all star potential but whether or not he can regain his confidence remains to be seen.

If you want to see his entire rookie season in 7 minutes click on the link in my sig below lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7dCSd-QX7M

So what do you guys think?

PhillyFaninLA
04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
I've said before that I believe he'll be a 15 pt. 10 rebound ( 8 - 10), and 7 asst. (5 - 7) guy...maybe even 1.5 steals and .75 blocks per game as well. I think these will be what his career numbers will be around.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I think Bill Simmons said it best a couple months ago when saying that Evan Turner is the only guy since Rajon to be capable of one of those goofy 10-14-15 stat lines every now and then.

He is a really unique, skilled player.

PhillyFaninLA
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree with that.....I think he will be a low triple double machine and be known as one of the grittiest hardest working players in the league.

AIRMAR72
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
he just need more time to adapt to the NBA speed N stop thinking while hes on the court

Hawkeye15
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I really hate trying to predict what a rookie who has had an inconsistent role in his first year will become, but Evan does indeed put up crazy numbers in all categories at times.

My guess, after watching him in college, and probably 10 times this season, is he will be a 16-7-5 player who has occasional stat lines that are eye popping. I think he could be a nice #2-3 option during his peak. Role player outside of it. I think an option of Solid Starter should be there as well.

Young and Stupid
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
As a Nets fan, one of the players that I've been following on-and-off is Andre Iguodala. I'm of the belief that -- despite having such a large contract -- he's one of the more underrated players in the league; he's a great perimeter defender, he's extremely athletic and is relatively efficient. I think that the Nets should pursue him in the off-season, as he would be the ideal fit next to Williams and the potential arriving Howard.

Having said that, how open are Sixers fans to trading Iguodala? He's had a great year, but his contract (coupled with Brand's) inhibits Philly's upward mobility. If the Sixers traded Iggy then they could retain Thad Young and give more playing-time to ET. What would Sixers fans want in return for AI?

ChicagoRox
04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I think we won't see his true potenial until he gets traded or the Sixers get rid of Iggy.He was such a great college player. It sux that he can't crack the rotation. But no way, will Doug Collins play Turner over Iggy.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
As a Nets fan, one of the players that I've been following on-and-off is Andre Iguodala. I'm of the belief that -- despite having such a large contract -- he's one of the more underrated players in the league; he's a great perimeter defender, he's extremely athletic and is relatively efficient. I think that the Nets should pursue him in the off-season, as he would be the ideal fit next to Williams and the potential arriving Howard.

Having said that, how open are Sixers fans to trading Iguodala? He's had a great year, but his contract (coupled with Brand's) inhibits Philly's upward mobility. If the Sixers traded Iggy then they could retain Thad Young and give more playing-time to ET. What would Sixers fans want in return for AI?

You're right about Deron and Iggy being a great pairing... lob city man lol.

but back to the matter of trading iggy. I think Sixers management has fallen in love with him again over the course of this season. Frankly, last season he looked like he didn't give a damn. I was always an Iggy fanboy but his lack of effort killed me last season. But I think Doug Collins has brought the life back into him because now he gives 110% every possession. I haven't seen a more pesky defender in the NBA with how many tipped passes and deflections he gets because of his wing span and athleticism. I think the playoffs will say alot about whether Iggy will be traded soon or not. If he plays amazing and somehow leads us to the second round, then management will probably keep him till his contract runs out. If we get knocked out easily like many predict, then I think management will explore trading both he and Elton Brand for picks or a big man.

yangx620
04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
i dont think he will ever be a top go to guy, maybe at his max he will be michael redd...but the guy will be a very good role player though, not the 2nd pick i imagine of but he will be good

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
i dont think he will ever be a top go to guy, maybe at his max he will be michael redd...but the guy will be a very good role player though, not the 2nd pick i imagine of but he will be good

I don't think his shooting touch is nearly consistent enough from 3 to ever be michael redd, but they both share a funny hitch in their shot....

Evan clearly needs to work on his form over the summer... (which he's scheduled to do)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUWUiHIxufM

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I think he can be a starter in the future.

Crackadalic
04-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Really isnt fair to say if he's gonna be a bust since he i splaying behind Iggy Holiday and Lou at the guard spot. He'll probably be a starter sometime in his career

Swashcuff
04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
When he figures it out and finds his niche he'll be a solid 2/3 option who can get you around 18/6/5 on a nightly basis. Don't really see him becoming an all star anytime soon but if he improves his shooting that could change.

In the off season he is rumored to be going to put some work in with veteran shooting instructor Herb Magee.

He has the right coach in Doug Collins. He has shown tremendous maturity and is a very hard and effective worker on D. I am confident he'll get it together but IMO he'll never be a superstar. Fringe all star at best however.

yangx620
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't think his shooting touch is nearly consistent enough from 3 to ever be michael redd, but they both share a funny hitch in their shot....

Evan clearly needs to work on his form over the summer... (which he's scheduled to do)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUWUiHIxufM

true, im just trying to point out that maybe he can be a redd in term of production, not a true superstar but a good enough player but better overall

The Jokemaker
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I loved Turner's game in college last season and think he can be a star in this league. It takes some guys a little longer to turn it on than others.

Young and Stupid
You're right about Deron and Iggy being a great pairing... lob city man lol.

but back to the matter of trading iggy. I think Sixers management has fallen in love with him again over the course of this season. Frankly, last season he looked like he didn't give a damn. I was always an Iggy fanboy but his lack of effort killed me last season. But I think Doug Collins has brought the life back into him because now he gives 110% every possession. I haven't seen a more pesky defender in the NBA with how many tipped passes and deflections he gets because of his wing span and athleticism. I think the playoffs will say alot about whether Iggy will be traded soon or not. If he plays amazing and somehow leads us to the second round, then management will probably keep him till his contract runs out. If we get knocked out easily like many predict, then I think management will explore trading both he and Elton Brand for picks or a big man.

So how would you feel about this:

Sixers Receive: Travis Outlaw, Damion James, Brandan Wright (S&T), Rockets' First Rounder (2012), Nets' Second -- or the first, if a second doesn't suffice -- Rounder (2012)
Nets Receive: Andre Iguodala

If you're not comfortable with that, what would you change?

RickyPrior
And here I am...one of those frequent Sixers posters who thinks Evan is just this side of a 'bust'.

Everyone who sings his praises has Ohio-State-on-the-brain. In fact, if Evan came from Europe, those same people would have run him out of town by now. He's contributed nothing.

Nothing.

Seoul - you're a good guy, but here are the issues I have wih your post:

-He's now our 9th man, not 8th. :)

-Noc is NOT playing worse. He's more consistent and spreads things (since, ya know, Evan sucks at shooting)

-Evan's starting numbers are irrelevant. Those starts came so infrequently and soooo long ago...

-He's had maybe 2 or 3 "standout games", not a handful (sorry to nitpick). And 2 or 3 in 75 is called an "accident".

-His "flashes" of brilliance have escaped me. If you refer to that redundant spin move? Ok...that is nifty... But strong/quick NBA defenders will take that all day.

-He is none of these things: (Remember, Ohio State never happened)

a- a better ballhandler than iggy
b- more athletic than Iggy (please)
c- a better passer than Iggy

-Forget "All Star" talk. He needs to first graduate from 9th best on a 6th place team.

But I will agree with you on one thing. He does have a funny voice.

Khalifa21
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I think he has all the potential to be a really good player and solid starter... As people have already said, close to triple-doubles on any given night.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
And here I am...one of those frequent Sixers posters who thinks Evan is just this side of a 'bust'.

Everyone who sings his praises has Ohio-State-on-the-brain. In fact, if Evan came from Europe, those same people would have run him out of town by now. He's contributed nothing.

Nothing.

Seoul - you're a good guy, but here are the issues I have wih your post:

-He's now our 9th man, not 8th. :)

-Noc is NOT playing worse. He's more consistent and spreads things (since, ya know, Evan sucks at shooting)

-Evan's starting numbers are irrelevant. Those starts came so infrequently and soooo long ago...

-He's had maybe 2 or 3 "standout games", not a handful (sorry to nitpick). And 2 or 3 in 75 is called an "accident".

-His "flashes" of brilliance have escaped me. If you refer to that redundant spin move? Ok...that is nifty... But strong/quick NBA defenders will take that all day.

-He is none of these things: (Remember, Ohio State never happened)

a- a better ballhandler than iggy
b- more athletic than Iggy (please)
c- a better passer than Iggy

-Forget "All Star" talk. He needs to first graduate from 9th best on a 6th place team.

But I will agree with you on one thing. He does have a funny voice.

Although I severely disagree with pretty much this entire post, thanks for your contribution haha. E.T = Kermit the Frog, and there's no getting around it.

It's kinda sad cause apparently his throat got crushed when he got hit by a car when he was a kid, but still funny :).....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqV6n5rp7w

Lloyd Christmas
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
First off, anybody can look good in a mixtape. See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDV3OEJ8ksk

With that said I like Turner. He has been a dissapointment but his rookie year isn't even over yet. It's far too early to call him a bust.

godolphins
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
He can be a poor man Gerald Wallace

RickyPrior
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
If I had the time I'd be VERY tempted to make my own "mix tape" of Mr. Turner.

The material I'd be after would be abundant and it'd be quite entertaining...I can assure you.

It would also get me banned. :o

Swashcuff
04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
So how would you feel about this:

Sixers Receive: Travis Outlaw, Damion James, Brandan Wright (S&T), Rockets' First Rounder (2012), Nets' Second -- or the first, if a second doesn't suffice -- Rounder (2012)
Nets Receive: Andre Iguodala

If you're not comfortable with that, what would you change?

That does NOTHING to help the 76ers. Basically you are trying to offload your worst player (Outlaw) and oft injured Brandan Wright. Damion James is still a project but he isn't expected to be anything special. So the most valuable piece there is the Rockets' first rounder?

I think not. We already have Turner, Young (though he is a FA it will be better to bring he back than to trade for Outlaw and Wright), Meeks, Noc and Brackins. We'd basically be compounding our log jam.

danniboi168
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Although I severely disagree with pretty much this entire post, thanks for your contribution haha. E.T = Kermit the Frog, and there's no getting around it.

It's kinda sad cause apparently his throat got crushed when he got hit by a car when he was a kid, but still funny :).....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqV6n5rp7w

his throat got crushed when he got hit by a car? ouch.. feel bad for him, that explains why he sounds like that.. hope he continues to improve his jump shot :clap:

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 05:50 PM
If I had the time I'd be VERY tempted to make my own "mix tape" of Mr. Turner.

The material I'd be after would be abundant and it'd be quite entertaining...I can assure you.

It would also get me banned. :o

lol ill do it for you, just find any game where he isn't starting :)

RickyPrior
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
lol ill do it for you, just find any game where he isn't starting :)

How do you do that, by the way...? Hunt through every game?

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
He can be a poor man Gerald Wallace

Not nearly athletic enough and Wallace doesn't have the playmaking ability that Turner does. I don't really see a comparison between the two.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
How do you do that, by the way...? Hunt through every game?

looked up his best games (game log) saw where his made shots were (shot chart on cbssportsline) and boom!

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Not nearly athletic enough and Wallace doesn't have the playmaking ability that Turner does. I don't really see a comparison between the two.

Wallace is way more athletic than Turner, but Turner is actually an excellent rebounder for his size so I can kind of see the comparison. They both have inconsistent outside shots as well.

But if anything he's currently a poor man's B-Roy

Sly Guy
04-04-2011, 06:04 PM
1st season is too early to call anyone a bust [injury issues aside]. With PT, he could turn out alright.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for keepin it clean people, was expecting this to turn into a hate thread but lots of good insight here.

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Wallace is way more athletic than Turner, but Turner is actually an excellent rebounder for his size so I can kind of see the comparison. They both have inconsistent outside shots as well.

But if anything he's currently a poor man's B-Roy

Agree with the Roy comparison. If he gets the mid range Roy has then look out. I know he's a great rebounder like Wallace is, but honestly Turner is much more polished offensively than Wallace was at his age. Wallace got by for years on pure athleticism and his tremendous effort/motor. He wasn't a good ball handler and was an atrocious shooter. Now, he's an average shooter and his ball handling has gotten a lot better. But once his athleticism goes...Wallace is not going to that good unfortunately.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Agree with the Roy comparison. If he gets the mid range Roy has then look out. I know he's a great rebounder like Wallace is, but honestly Turner is much more polished offensively than Wallace was at his age. Wallace got by for years on pure athleticism and his tremendous effort/motor. He wasn't a good ball handler and was an atrocious shooter. Now, he's an average shooter and his ball handling has gotten a lot better. But still, once his athleticism goes...Wallace is not going to that good unfortunately.

Haha yes I remember him in the early 00's with the Kings and how he'd come in during garbage time and either throw down a ridiculous dunk or dribble the ball off his foot.

ccg34
04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
My question is: Why the heck are they starting Jodie Meeks over him? Are you serious Doug Collins? You drafted Evan Turner as the 2nd overall pick and you won't even give him his minutes. Evan Turner will be an all star in the league. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy. Every rookie in the NBA has their struggles. The only way for them to develop their struggles is to gain experience. Doug Collins has done a great job as the Sixer's coach this year, but he has done a poor job of letting the future face of the franchise play.

Tuck&Rolle
04-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Give him time, he's just a kid.

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
With Lou Williams out for the rest of the regular season, Turner is now the teams 6th man essentially. This will be his last shot to do something if he wants to even sniff the playoffs according to doug. If he doesn't put up solid numbers he's not going to play a minute in these playoffs. Sad but true.

Lou Will gave Evan his seal of approval though haha...
http://www.libertyballers.com/2011/4/4/2090759/lou-williams-turner-will-get-his-confidence-back

allSUAVE
04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
if he could become a Lamar Odom, That would be a plus for the sixers

RickyPrior
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
My question is: Why the heck are they starting Jodie Meeks over him? Are you serious Doug Collins? You drafted Evan Turner as the 2nd overall pick and you won't even give him his minutes. Evan Turner will be an all star in the league. .

Can't say any of this is accurate.

Meeks has been the pleasant surprise, Turner the big fat disappointment.

Meeks spreads the floor, Turner can't shoot.

They are comparable defenders...but Meeks stirs things up far more often' he's a pest.

Turner hasn't had any impact in all but 2 games. He couldn't BE any less effective.

Sixerlover
04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm shocked! Some good convo in this thread

ccg34
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Can't say any of this is accurate.

Meeks has been the pleasant surprise, Turner the big fat disappointment.

Meeks spreads the floor, Turner can't shoot.

They are comparable defenders...but Meeks stirs things up far more often' he's a pest.

Turner hasn't had any impact in all but 2 games. He couldn't BE any less effective.

Jodie Meeks is a a sixth man in this league. He is instant offense. I think he would be more suited as the sixth man than as the starting SG. He can be used as a similar role like the Mavs with Terry. I just think Turner needs more PT to develop his game. He has more potential a higher ceiling than Meeks. Let's face the facts, the Sixers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. Developing Turner is more beneficial in the long term. If you start him right now, it won't hurt the team significantly in the short term either.

pd7631
04-04-2011, 07:08 PM
It's really tough to say. If he were drafted/playing for a really bad team and he was given the keys to the car from day 1, then I think he'd be a rookie first teamer and right up there with Wall and Monroe (Blake is just on another tier from the true rookies). The Sixers have 6 players averaging double figures in scoring, and Elton Brand leads the team with just around 15ppg, so putting up big time numbers is hard to do on this team as we are an equal opportunity offense, and seemingly anyone can lead the team in scoring on any given night.

If Iggy eventually goes, and the Sixers become a 50 win team down the road, then I can see him becoming an All Star.

Man, this is such a tough question. The kid has All Star ability and potential, but he's just in the wrong situation to get that kind of recognition. We'll see where he's at after working with now Hall of Famer, Herb Magee. If he comes back and starts knocking down those 18 footers, he'll blossom and the rest of his game will open up.

Bookey
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I've said before that I believe he'll be a 15 pt. 10 rebound ( 8 - 10), and 7 asst. (5 - 7) guy...maybe even 1.5 steals and .75 blocks per game as well. I think these will be what his career numbers will be around.

Are you serious, those are amazing numbers, 15pts/10reb/7assists? Not going to happen

Swashcuff
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Are you serious, those are amazing numbers, 15pts/10reb/7assists? Not going to happen

IF he were able to put up such number YES they would be amazing numbers for any player, that would be a player who could impact the game in a number of ways. eg Jason Kidd.

While his rebound number (8-10) may be a bit high everything else is accurate. 5 assists is certainly getable. Any player putting up 15/7/5 or there about is going to be tremendously valuable to any team he plays for.

LA_Raiders
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Give him some time...

Sixerlover
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Give him some time...

The correct answer has never been so accurately stated.

RickyPrior
04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Jodie Meeks is a a sixth man in this league. He is instant offense. I think he would be more suited as the sixth man than as the starting SG. He can be used as a similar role like the Mavs with Terry. I just think Turner needs more PT to develop his game. He has more potential a higher ceiling than Meeks. Let's face the facts, the Sixers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. Developing Turner is more beneficial in the long term. If you start him right now, it won't hurt the team significantly in the short term either.

Nah.

1. Meeks ain't a 6th man on THIS team. We already have two of them.

2. Turner HAD playing time. Plenty of it. Twice what Nocioni had. They tried starting him, you name it.

He sucked.

3. Doug's job is to win now. He's not the GM. HE doesn't think "the Sixers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs". And Turner makes the Sixers worse.

So why in the world would the head coach play him?

SeoulBeatz
04-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Apparently Doug Collins said that today's practice was dedicated to getting Evan Turner back into the swing of things because he's going to get a lot of touches with Lou Will out for the foreseeable future. Last chance for him to show something this season. I know you and I will be watching anxiously Ricky.

DerekRE_3
04-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks for keepin it clean people, was expecting this to turn into a hate thread but lots of good insight here.

Ah if you want a hate thread just make one about DeMarcus.

AddiX
04-05-2011, 01:07 AM
I think he just needs to learn to be more patient and learn how to use his talents.

In college he wasn't over matched athletically, in the NBA, hes nothing special athletically. Outside of Roy, we haven't seen to many non-athletic scorers who can really dominate the way Roy did.

I thought Turner had that kind of skill, and maybe he does, but its clear he can't get separation and hasn't fully learned how to use his skills to get off quality shots.

The BodyGuard
04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I think he'll be a bust, But anything can happened tho

Double_R
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Seriously... Young n [B]Stupid[/B... The Potential arriving Howard. You guys aren't even going to keep DWill let alone get DH. I am so over the speculation of years that aren't even here.

BallIsAll
04-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Seriously... Young n Stupid[/B... The Potential arriving Howard. [B]You guys aren't even going to keep DWill let alone get DH. I am so over the speculation of years that aren't even here.

you just contradicted yourself. :facepalm:

Dwill is staying in the nets IMO

Ezio
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I like his game. He can explode in some games and then be quiet the next. He'll be a great role player.

Double_R
04-05-2011, 11:36 AM
you just contradicted yourself. :facepalm:

Dwill is staying in the nets IMO

I'm aware, I said it while making a point. I'm not sure what he will do, but lets face it, the Nets aren't some team where people want to play, sorry, but it's true.

Swashcuff
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Nah.

1. Meeks ain't a 6th man on THIS team. We already have two of them.

2. Turner HAD playing time. Plenty of it. Twice what Nocioni had. They tried starting him, you name it.

He sucked.

3. Doug's job is to win now. He's not the GM. HE doesn't think "the Sixers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs". And Turner makes the Sixers worse.

So why in the world would the head coach play him?

3rd 20 point game of his season. I guess to you this is one the 3rd good game he has had this season. :rolleyes:

SeoulBeatz
04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
3rd 20 point game of his season. I guess to you this is one the 3rd good game he has had this season. :rolleyes:

Evan Turner was our best player on the court tonight. Haha 4th "good game" of the season to be exact.

Swashcuff
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Evan Turner was our best player on the court tonight. Haha 4th "good game" of the season to be exact.

I still think in his games against Phoenix and Washington in January and February he really showed his promise however. A few others as well.

He was indeed the best player on the floor for us tonight, just goes to show what he can accomplish when made part of the team's offensive gameplan and given the playing time. I know its an extremely small sample size but his play was really the one bright-spot for us this game. I look forward to seeing more games like this from him down the road.

COBY KARL
04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
He will avg Manu Ginobli numbers at his peak with a few more rebounds.

topdog
04-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Last year's draft really perplexed me. The team that was full of althetic wings that had trouble shooting and a PF that was too slow for their uptempo drafted another wing of that nature and passed on an athletic PF. Then, the next team drafts a guy they seemed intent on trading from day one, followed by my Wolves being forced into what probably was the player that best suited them.

Anyway, Turner can be a decent/good NBA player, but will be Roy-Lite if anything of that nature. He's gotta get away from Iggy though to realize his full potential.

Iggz53
04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
He's much too skilled of a player not to figure it out. I think he will end up as a prime John Salmons type player, except with much better rebounding

Swashcuff
04-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Last year's draft really perplexed me. The team that was full of althetic wings that had trouble shooting and a PF that was too slow for their uptempo drafted another wing of that nature and passed on an athletic PF. Then, the next team drafts a guy they seemed intent on trading from day one, followed by my Wolves being forced into what probably was the player that best suited them.

Anyway, Turner can be a decent/good NBA player, but will be Roy-Lite if anything of that nature. He's gotta get away from Iggy though to realize his full potential.

Why?

The teams with the top lottery picks generally don't draft based on team needs they draft the best player available. Shouldn't the Wizards drafting Wall perplex you as well given the fact that they already had Arenas and Hinrich on their roster?

DerekRE_3
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Why?

The teams with the top lottery picks generally don't draft based on team needs they draft the best player available. Shouldn't the Wizards drafting Wall perplex you as well given the fact that they already had Arenas and Hinrich on their roster?

Turner wasn't the BPA at #2 in last year's draft.

topdog
04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Why?

For one, this:

Well, mostly that because beyond Wall being the concensus #1, the next 4 picks were very debatable and "fit" should have been a serious consideration. Derrick Favors and Wes Johnson were both on the same tier as E.T. (and doesn't he look it!) but would seem to be far better fits for Philly.

DerekRE_3
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
For one, this:

Well, mostly that because beyond Wall being the concensus #1, the next 4 picks were very debatable and "fit" should have been a serious consideration. Derrick Favors and Wes Johnson were both on the same tier as E.T. (and doesn't he look it!) but would seem to be far better fits for Philly.

Wasn't thinking of those two guys at all. Spencer Hawes starts out Center for the Sixers. Spencer. Hawes. Philly could have gone with need and BPA with the #2 but they didn't.

Swashcuff
04-05-2011, 11:39 PM

Really?

Well that was the consensus belief coming into the draft. That he was more of a sure thing and at the time more NBA ready than anyone beneath him.

I could however count on the biggest Demarcus Cousins homer on PSD to come in here and say that however.

pd7631
04-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Wasn't thinking of those two guys at all. Spencer Hawes starts out Center for the Sixers. Spencer. Hawes. Philly could have gone with need and BPA with the #2 but they didn't.

I'm more than happy with our selection. But yeah, Greg Monroe would be nice too. That is who you were thinking of, right?

Swashcuff
04-05-2011, 11:40 PM

I think you need to put in your opinion somewhere in there.

DerekRE_3
04-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Really?

Well that was the consensus belief coming into the draft. That he was more of a sure thing and at the time more NBA ready than anyone beneath him.

I could however count on the biggest Demarcus Cousins homer on PSD to come in here and say that however.

Oh I'm definitely a huge DMC homer. Every fan is a homer. That doesn't make me wrong though. Talent wise he was the 2nd best player in the draft, no question. He fell because of the character concerns, not his skill level. And thank god he did.

John Hollinger's well-tuned draft rater projects Cousins as the best NBA player in this class:

[T]here is one prospect who rates as an A-list talent, a freshman from the University of Kentucky named …

DeMarcus Cousins.

You were expecting somebody else?

Cousins has the fifth-highest rating in the Draft Rater's nine seasons evaluated. (The Draft Rater goes back to 2002, as college data from before that year are too spotty to use.)

Based on that, the outlook for Cousins is quite positive. Of the eight previous players from 2002 to 2008 to rate 15.0 or higher, four became superstars: Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul. Of the other four, three have been very productive starters -- Rudy Gay, Luol Deng and Drew Gooden -- and one became, well, Mike Conley. We had another three last year, and from that trio, one was awesome (Tyreke Evans), one was good (Ty Lawson) and one didn't play a game (Blake Griffin).

Cousins won't be the first pick because of questions about his character and coachability, and those are legitimate concerns. But there's no doubting his elite talent level.

Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17039/truehoop-dossier-demarcus-cousins)

Say what you want about Hollinger, but at least his draft rater has results to back it up. Then if you watch him, you see the size, the strength, the length, the passing, the vision, the post game, the hands, the feet, the rebounding. Only DeMarcus can stop DeMarcus. And for the record, I was big on DeMarcus before the Kings drafted him. If I'm the Kings, I take him #1 if I have that pick.

mttwlsn16
04-05-2011, 11:50 PM
hes only a rookie still. he will blossom into a good starter imo
he beasted in college

Iggz53
04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Oh I'm definitely a huge DMC homer. Every fan is a homer. That doesn't make me wrong though. Talent wise he was the 2nd best player in the draft, no question. He fell because of the character concerns, not his skill level. And thank god he did.

Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17039/truehoop-dossier-demarcus-cousins)

Say what you want about Hollinger, but at least his draft rater has results to back it up. Then if you watch him, you see the size, the strength, the length, the passing, the vision, the post game, the hands, the feet, the rebounding. Only DeMarcus can stop DeMarcus. And for the record, I was big on DeMarcus before the Kings drafted him. If I'm the Kings, I take him #1 if I have that pick.

To be fair, Hollinger's decision of neglecting self-destruction factor was his fault.

SeoulBeatz
04-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm very proud of E.T after tonights game.

I think it was a HUGE bounceback game for him.

With Lou Will out he either had to step up big, or be relegated to the bench for the rest of the season, and he stepped up.

DerekRE_3
04-06-2011, 12:58 AM
To be fair, Hollinger's decision of neglecting self-destruction factor was his fault.

Except he hasn't self destructed. He's improved.

Iggz53
04-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Except he hasn't self destructed. He's improved.

His attitude? I keep hearing that he refuses to listen to coaches, even now. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. Certainly, I can't say his behavior on the court is any different than it was in college.

DerekRE_3
04-06-2011, 01:24 AM
His attitude? I keep hearing that he refuses to listen to coaches, even now. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. Certainly, I can't say his behavior on the court is any different than it was in college.

There haven't been any incidents like that since he got kicked out of practice and benched. The guy is just very passionate, and immature.

The team is just better with him on the floor. They can run the offense through him. He commands double teams in the post, and has the vision and passing ability to find the open man. They can just feed it to him and cut, he'll find them. Sure he tries to do too much sometimes, but it's all there.

Here's some examples of his passing ability, which wasn't really known about when he played at Kentucky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SLKLc7gCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqrlCEjJs7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqQ_hF48Dw&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yog0N537vrA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpeR_wIabE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmkmtHGcZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9O3HFv7U80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxK8YWE2GRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjVQ0uFGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-dGmzXdBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCvJ5pLhOoI

Most 20 year old bigs don't pass like that. Most bigs in general don't pass like that.

danniboi168
04-06-2011, 01:37 AM
There haven't been any incidents like that since he got kicked out of practice and benched. The guy is just very passionate, and immature.

The team is just better with him on the floor. They can run the offense through him. He commands double teams in the post, and has the vision and passing ability to find the open man. They can just feed it to him and cut, he'll find them. Sure he tries to do too much sometimes, but it's all there.

Here's some examples of his passing ability, which wasn't really known about when he played at Kentucky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SLKLc7gCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqrlCEjJs7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqQ_hF48Dw&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yog0N537vrA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpeR_wIabE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmkmtHGcZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9O3HFv7U80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxK8YWE2GRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjVQ0uFGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-dGmzXdBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCvJ5pLhOoI

Most 20 year old bigs don't pass like that. Most bigs in general don't pass like that.

yeah he passes great for his size.