PDA

View Full Version : Artist Gilmore is in the HOF

Chronz
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/article/199336/3/Artis-Gilmore-to-be-Inducted-into-Basketball-Hall-of-Fame

Depending on who you talk to hes been the best eligible player not currently in the HOF or one of the leagues most disappointing players ever, or both.

Was he worthy?

Hellcrooner
04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
absolutely.

he was the second best center in the 70s behind kareem ( mo Malone did not break up until late in the decade)

Hawkeye15
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
11 all star games, MVP, Playoff MVP, lengthly prime, and arguably a top 3-4 center in the 70s and early 80s. He absolutely deserves to be in there.

Rafer17
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Before getting in, he was the only player with an MVP not in the hall (that was eligible)

abe_froman
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
11 all star games, MVP, Playoff MVP, lengthly prime, and arguably a top 3-4 center in the 70s and early 80s. He absolutely deserves to be in there.

this

Klivlend
04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Don't know much about him, but after looking at his numbers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilmoar01.html) he certainly appears HOF worthy.

Hangtime
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Not only being one of the greatest ABA players but he went on to lead the NBA in alltime career field goal percentage. It's about time he got in.

JordansBulls
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM

This. Even more so than Rodman or Mullin or KJ, etc.

llemon
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Artis would certainly belong in an ABA HOF, but not an NBA HOF.

But the Basketball HOF is neither of those.

Geargo Wallace
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes he deserves it. Defensively he was a beast!!!!!!!! I've only read good things about him in Loose Balls and The Breaks of the Game.

thekmp211
04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
sort of a transitional figure, skill-wise, he's definitely worthy based on his total body of work. wonder why it took so long.

llemon
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
sort of a transitional figure, skill-wise, he's definitely worthy based on his total body of work. wonder why it took so long.

Because he was the only really dominating Center in the ABA, and even then, he was not a very athletic player, and much of his scoring was due to his height advantage. In the ABA, smaller players weren't afraid of taking it to the hoop on him.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Artis would certainly belong in an ABA HOF, but not an NBA HOF.

But the Basketball HOF is neither of those.

He continued to do great on NBA and he was the first dude to make Bulls relevant.

thekmp211
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Because he was the only really dominating Center in the ABA, and even then, he was not a very athletic player, and much of his scoring was due to his height advantage. In the ABA, smaller players weren't afraid of taking it to the hoop on him.

no i get that, that's kinda what i meant by transitional figure, but there are other guys that fit that bill already in the hall. george mikan would have struggled in the same way.

basketball HoF confuses me sometimes, i'd rather have an NBA hall to clear up all the confusion.

abe_froman
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
He continued to do great on NBA and he was the first dude to make Bulls relevant.
that part's wrong,we were a wc power in the early-mid 70's before we got gilmore...also he didnt really make us relevant,we sucked most of the time while he was with us and had dead last attendance

bctgg27
04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I remember when I first heard of his plight, I did constant research on him to find out more about his career. Couldn't believe he wasn't in the Basketball HOF. I am very happy he is finally getting in, he definitely deserves it.

Hawkeye15
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
no i get that, that's kinda what i meant by transitional figure, but there are other guys that fit that bill already in the hall. george mikan would have struggled in the same way.

basketball HoF confuses me sometimes, i'd rather have an NBA hall to clear up all the confusion.

when I visited, there was a big movie viewing room that was all about the ABA.

Chronz
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Im just wondering if you hold Dr. J to a similar standard, not saying the 2 were similar in status, Dr.J was obviously a legend, but he too declines in unified league, you could argue the disparity in their performances new vs old league, J suffered the bigger dropoff.

SteveNash
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Not athletic?

http://i.imgur.com/avTnW.jpg

Anyway, all indications point to Mel Daniels being the superior player and the more deserving of the ABA centers.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Im just wondering if you hold Dr. J to a similar standard, not saying the 2 were similar in status, Dr.J was obviously a legend, but he too declines in unified league, you could argue the disparity in their performances new vs old league, J suffered the bigger dropoff.

Or it could be the more open rules of ABA.

Also theres an interesting fact that NBA/Stern has hidden conveniently about the aba.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABAStatistics/ABANBAExhibitions.html

Aba teams were Sweeping the floor with Nba teams every time they met them in games.

hard_candy
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I love me some Artist Gilmore. And yeah, he was a beaut. lol!