PDA

View Full Version : NBA More Likely to Lose Time in Season then NFL?

marlinsfan24
04-04-2011, 12:13 PM
WallaceHeatNBA

Unless players cave, NBA far more likely to miss camps/preseason/games than NFL. NBA players/owners appear much farther apart.

http://twitter.com/WallaceHeatNBA

sep11ie
04-04-2011, 12:22 PM
*than

marlinsfan24
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
*than

Didn't even pay attention to that...my bad.

DerekRE_3
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Absolutely. The NFL already had a hard cap in place, they wanted player salaries to be decreased 18%.

The NBA wants to institute a hard cap that would be lower than the current soft cap. The average salary for NBA teams this year is about $67.6 million dollars per team. The owners voted for a $45 million hard cap. This year the average NBA team's salary is over $20 million over the proposed hard cap. The owners basically want a 33% reduction in player salary, almost twice as much as the NFL wanted.

Not only that, there are guaranteed contracts in the NBA, so teams like the Magic, Lakers, Celtics, etc have no chance of getting under the proposed hard cap. How that would work, I have no idea. I wonder if the NBA does. The one thing the NBA does have going for it is the NBA really is losing money. The NFL by all accounts is making more than it ever has, yet wanted to reduce player salaries. I still don't see the NBA players caving to those demands.

Missing56&33
04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
*than

I think we know what he means....damn :pity:

Hangtime
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Absolutely. The NFL already had a hard cap in place, they wanted player salaries to be decreased 18%.

The NBA wants to institute a hard cap that would be lower than the current soft cap. The average salary for NBA teams this year is about $67.6 million dollars per team. The owners voted for a $45 million hard cap. This year the average NBA team's salary is over $20 million over the proposed hard cap. The owners basically want a 33% reduction in player salary, almost twice as much as the NFL wanted.

Not only that, there are guaranteed contracts in the NBA, so teams like the Magic, Lakers, Celtics, etc have no chance of getting under the proposed hard cap. How that would work, I have no idea. I wonder if the NBA does. The one thing the NBA does have going for it is the NBA really is losing money. The NFL by all accounts is making more than it ever has, yet wanted to reduce player salaries. I still don't see the NBA players caving to those demands.
^This. The issues the NFL has pales in comparison to the NBA. Many more teams are struggling financially. I definitely see the NBA losing games next season. It's a worse situation than it was in 99 when the two sides couldn't agree.

sep11ie
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I think we know what he means....damn :pity:

Yea, I was kidding. I'm not THAT much of a d-bag.