PDA

View Full Version : Howard & Williams: The Clippers?!

Young and Stupid
04-03-2011, 11:26 PM
What's the first thing that you think of when you hear "Los Angeles Clippers?" Well, it's probably Blake Griffin, but what's the second? Donald Sterling. Sterling takes the cake in the "worst owner in the NBA" race with at least a mile to spare; he's a certified racist, extremely cheap, incapable of watching his own team without heckling the players and has an innate ability to ruin a good thing.

Everybody with any knowledge of the NBA is aware that Mr. Sterling is the one holding the Clippers back from being one of the most promising franchises in the league -- well that and the fact that they're the Clippers. Is it possible that Stern sees the same thing we see; is it conceivable that the dictatorial NBA commissioner could push the Clippers owner off of his oiled throne? What if someone gave Sterling an offer he couldn't refuse? What if someone saw the potential for the Clippers to become one of the most successful and valuable franchises in the league and extended a Godfather-like deal? Is it really that unrealistic?

Going under the premise that a competent owner purchases the Clippers within the next year, I could see them adding Deron Williams AND Dwight Howard. Now, I know what you're thinking -- how could the Clippers manage to squeeze two max-players onto their team when the impending CBA will attempt to enforce a hard(er) salary-cap and clauses that will inhibit star players from leaving their teams -- but it's still not out of the realm of possibility.

For the year of 2012, the Clippers have five players on the books (Blake Griffin, Mo Williams, Eric Bledsoe, Al Aminu and Ryan Gomes) for a combined $18,709,600. Signs point toward the cap under the new CBA being somewhere in the $60 million range. It's fair to assume that the Clippers will extend a QO to Eric Gordon (a very promising, young player) in the 6-9 million dollar range. They'll also look to sign Deandre Jordan this off-season (who's a RFA) to something between $5-7 million. So that adds up to approximately 32-million, add in the cap-holds and it'll probably be in the 34-38 million range.

Deron Williams and Dwight Howard both have the option to opt out of their deals in 2012 and hit free-agency. They've both emphasized a strong desire to capture a championship and have recently appeared to have grown frustrated of their team's inability to surround them with the pieces necessary to do so. There have been rumors that two are interesting in playing with each other; the most viable option appears to be Howard joining Williams in Brooklyn, but the Nets likely wouldn't have the space necessary to surround the two with the pieces to compete with the likes of the Heat and Bulls.

The Clippers have one of the most promising, young players in the league in Blake Griffin, another good, youthful player in Gordon and plenty of other serviceable pieces, while still holding a nice stockpile of draft picks which can be used to obtain talented players for depth or to shed salary (Mo Williams' contract). The possibilities are endless. The Clippers will also have an extremely intriguing asset in Chris Kaman's expiring contract next season which could conceivably be used to acquire draft picks, young players or packaged with one of their blue-chippers to bring in an impact-player.

After the completion of next season, the Clippers would have plenty of room, likely enough to add both Howard and Williams. Obviously, there are some very vital factors that could have an effect on that outcome -- the curse of Sterling, the constraints of the new CBA, the fact that they're the Clippers and something is bound to go wrong -- but it's very conceivable option. Despite being overshadowed by the Lakers, the Clippers still play in the 2nd-best market in the NBA, if they managed to add Williams and Howard they could rival the Lakers in terms of publicity.

Imagine something like this:

Williams/Bledsoe
Gordon/pick
Aminu/Gomes
Griffin/pick
Howard/Jordan

That's an extremely formidable team. As I said, a collection of favorable events would have to take place in order for the Clippers to be set up in a manner as I outlined, but it's really not that far a cry from realistic. Just something to think about; we'll see.

shep33
04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
With Sterling owning that team, it's more likely that Blake leaves then Howard and Williams go to the Clips. I don't think Sterling would sell them either, he's about to make more money then ever before really by milking Blake and Gordon, through their ability to put fans in seats.

Slimsim
04-03-2011, 11:34 PM
how do you beat a team like that ?

meloman1592
04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't see it happening but if it were to happen, that would be virtually unbeatable. At that point( 1 yr or 2 down the road) you arguably have the best Pg,Pf and center in the league. Who's to say Blake won't be the best Pf in 2 yrs?

---------->Scary<----------

hotpotato1092
04-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I think Sterling deters at least one if not both of those guys from coming, but man, that team would be deadly.

Dade County
04-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I think if the nets see that they can not sign williams, they would trade him to the clippers for Gordon...

I can't see the clippers this loaded, but I would like a team like this out west.

SEATTLEredsox
04-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I don't see it happening but if it were to happen, that would be virtually unbeatable. At that point( 1 yr or 2 down the road) you arguably have the best Pg,Pf and center in the league. Who's to say Blake won't be the best Pf in 2 yrs?

---------->Scary<----------

This. And you add a stud SG in Eric Gordon and all the other young talent they have (even if they couldn't keep everyone together)...that team would be stacked.

Ollie Tabooger
04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
damn that team would be fun to watch

Ebbs
04-04-2011, 12:07 AM
So unlikely but that team would win 5 championships.

Dwight anchoring that defense having scoring from the post the wing and the 1. Deron would put up 12-13 dimes a night. Would be just a great all around team to watch.

John Walls Era
04-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't see it happening. Blake Griffin has yet to be a player other superstars want to play with. I see them wanting to have Griffin on THEIR team, not the other way around.

Sandman
04-04-2011, 12:12 AM
What if someone saw the potential for the Clippers to become one of the most successful and valuable franchises in the league and extended a Godfather-like deal? Is it really that unrealistic?
lmfao :facepalm:

Chi StateOfMind
04-04-2011, 12:14 AM
clippers would be back....AND VERY NASTY!!!!

iggypop123
04-04-2011, 12:18 AM
salaries dont matchup. griffin is gonna need an extension eventually

hgtiger32
04-04-2011, 12:25 AM
best team ever. those players would play really good together.

deron williams would be the primary ball handler. gordons ability to shoot woudl space the floor and it be a nightmare to try and stop Griffin and Howard in the post.

imagine Williams throwing Blake and Dwight alley oops :drool:

xbrackattackx
04-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I came.

apet8945
04-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Sadly the Clips won't ever be able to win a championship with Sterling as the owner. I wish Stern would just boot Sterling, I mean, I'm sure that Stern could find plenty of reasons to justify kicking him out. And then put a guy there who'll be willing to spend some cash, and you'll have two great teams in LA which is a huge market already. I'm not sure we could grab both Howard and Williams but having either one makes the Clippers a legit team.

Think about it Stern, do the entire NBA a favor and get rid of Sterling. Btw I'm curios to know if this was an article written by someone or not. I'm assuming its not since there was no link, but can anyone please confirm?

LA_Raiders
04-04-2011, 01:36 AM
I dont think so. Who wants to play for that *** boss?

John Walls Era
04-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Sadly the Clips won't ever be able to win a championship with Sterling as the owner. I wish Stern would just boot Sterling, I mean, I'm sure that Stern could find plenty of reasons to justify kicking him out. And then put a guy there who'll be willing to spend some cash, and you'll have two great teams in LA which is a huge market already. I'm not sure we could grab both Howard and Williams but having either one makes the Clippers a legit team.

Think about it Stern, do the entire NBA a favor and get rid of Sterling. Btw I'm curios to know if this was an article written by someone or not. I'm assuming its not since there was no link, but can anyone please confirm?

Stern likes him though.

mttwlsn16
04-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I think if the nets see that they can not sign williams, they would trade him to the clippers for Gordon...

I can't see the clippers this loaded, but I would like a team like this out west.

trading EJ for dwill would be ********

shep33
04-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Don Draper could run the Clips better

Purple&Gold24
04-04-2011, 03:53 AM
I came.

:laugh:

Lakers would still own the city.

NetsPaint
04-04-2011, 04:21 AM
I don't see why the Clippers would need three maxes. The team they have right now with development (especially from Griffin) looks pretty sick.

flclfanman
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM
how do you beat a team like that ?

With VDN coaching he'll find ways to keep you in the game :laugh2:

Double_R
04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Did the Clippers ownership die or something?

KnicksorBust
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
You are underestimating how much it will cost to keep Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan.

Young and Stupid
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
salaries dont matchup. griffin is gonna need an extension eventually

The salaries do "matchup." That's why I took the time to list the exact salary figure with cap-holds included in the rough estimation.

Griffin will need an extension (in the form of a QO) after the 2013 season; Williams and Howard would already be signed and extended by that point. Griffin would then be given an extension that fit within the soft-cap structure. Now -- as I noted -- that assumes that the new CBA doesn't institute a hard-cap.

You are underestimating how much it will cost to keep Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan.

You sure about that? Is Gordon really going to get more than nine a year at this point? Is Jordan really gonna get more than eight? What do you think the two will get AND why? I think the ranges I listed are pretty close to what the two are going to get. Like I said, feel to disagree, but explain why you are doing so.

jrm2054
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
not going happen but would be amazing team

Tony_Starks
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Really Clipps dont even need all that fantasy stuff. They'll have the core of Blake/Deandre/Gordon for a while and thats a damn good start. Once they ditch Kaman for a legit sf they are going to be a problem!

mttwlsn16
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
With VDN coaching he'll find ways to keep you in the game :laugh2:

:laugh: sad but so true

Really Clipps dont even need all that fantasy stuff. They'll have the core of Blake/Deandre/Gordon for a while and thats a damn good start. Once they ditch Kaman for a legit sf they are going to be a problem!

keep kaman and DJ. DJ gets into foul trouble way too quick almost on a nightly basis. kaman comes in and provides extra offense. you can keep both and still sign a SF

Storch
04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Match a great passing PG with incredibly athletic bigs and wings = 100 assists per game. That would be a beast pick n roll offense. He can take turns pickin n rollin with griff and dhoward.

Storch
04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Can Gordon play PG? I have no knowledge behind this player and I don't mind admitting it. He seems so undersized. Can he play D?

danniboi168
04-04-2011, 04:42 PM
crazy team.. so athletic

NYK|NYY
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Getting Griffin was a double edged sword or whatever for the Clips. Now Sterling probably doesn't want to sell, since his franchise is certainly much more valuable than it was previously.

Punk
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
If Sterling can get his **** together, I think Howard will join the Clippers. I highly doubt Dwight would go to the Lakers when he can play for a younger team and create his own destiny so to speak.

Iron24th
04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
With sterling owning the team,it will never happen.

MrfadeawayJB
04-04-2011, 05:06 PM
If a team similar to this ever existed, everyone would run with the clippers on 2k

yangx620
04-04-2011, 05:06 PM
i say keep jordan who is becoming a very good center, griffin ofc, bledsoe and gordon...maybe get some veteran player to keep everyone in float, im trying to imagine garnett or someone who is a team player coming to the clippers as a veteran who knows his days are done but will be there to help the team wins because he sees the potential of the team

JRisdabest
04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
wont happen with sterling..nuff said

Young and Stupid
04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
If about 70% of people who have posted in this thread have said something along the lines of "it won't happen because Sterling is the order," isn't that grounds for his removal as the owner of the Clippers? If the majority of observers claim that a team will not undergo something positive because of the existence of its owner then there's something severely wrong with that situation. Crazy.

Clippersfan86
04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Realistically we are better off going for Deron Williams alone and that would be affordable for sure in 2012 free agency. Why would we want Dwight when he wants 20+ touches a game... when we can have DJ who's 22 years old.. is blossoming into an electrifying defensive presence in the paint? DJ doesn't need any touches. All of his points are from wide open dunks, alley oop dunks or tip ins. Way too many shots to go around if we had Dwight and D Will. With Deron Williams, Eric Gordon... Al Farouq Aminu... Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan I would think they could get to the finals right away and probably win a ring.

Deron Williams has already said it would be extremely fun and easy playing with our bigs. Plus... Supposedly we are one of 3 teams he's interested in. I think Dwight is more likely to go to a proven contender like the Lakers.

Clippersfan86
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
If a team similar to this ever existed, everyone would run with the clippers on 2k

Clippers are very popular on 2K already man and they underrate the **** out of our players. When I play someone else online.. I notice they pick the Clippers before I get a chance to pretty often lol.

DwayneMVPwade
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Dwight and Blake Griffin playing together :drool:, Most athletic front court in the history of the game, one of the most dominant front court's om the game.

numba1CHANGsta
04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Its never gonna happen, come on guys ITS THE CLIPPERS! lol There's a better chance D12 and D-Will end up with the Lakers thank the Clips

tonydanza87
04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
As a Mets fan im a sucker for the 2nd best franchise in town to develop a winner. That team would be sick, perfect combo of just about every fundamental element of basketball and i commend you on your research, i only wish it was within the realm of possibility without someone assasinating Sterling.

djeller1139
04-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Knowing the Clippers luck/ownership they'll end up with Chauncey Billups and Eddy Curry, but that team would be unreal.

Young and Stupid
05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I thought I would bump this to add another Dwight Howard thread to the NBA forum...

All kidding aside, the Clippers could effectively formulate a trade for Dwight Howard while taking on Arenas or Turkoglu's contract. They could package Chris Kaman's expiring, Mo Williams' expiring and two high value draft-picks in order to provide the Magic with cap-relief and great assets which could significantly accelerate their rehabilitation process. If they took on Hedo's contract (as opposed to Gil's) then they could conceivably add Deron Williams (or Chris Paul) in free-agency.

It allows Dwight to play in LA and gives him a championship-caliber roster. It makes sense.

The only variable that would seem to prevent this from occurring is Donald Sterling. However, that one variable probably serves as the end-all be-all.

Thoughts?

apet8945
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I just can't see why Sterling wouldn't do whatever it takes to make this happen. I mean, every year he puts the Clippers in good positions looking towards the future, but the future never seems to finally arrive. Well right now, he's got the opportunity of a lifetime to finally get there. We got all the pieces to make it happen, just gotta make it happen.

Hunter48MVP
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm a Laker fan and I would watch them play everyday if they got Howard and Williams. Not like I watch Laker games because of boring commentators from the Lakers.

richiesaurus310
05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
The clippers will sign one max player in 2012 and my guess is it will be a point gaurd. Deandre will be the stating center so there's no need to chase after dwight, unless of course he says he's interested in coming. Mo Williams will opt out in 2012 so we will chase after Chris Paul and Derron Williams.

Raph12
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Doubt it happens, but that would be the most unstoppable team I've ever seen...

Chill_Will_24
05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
OMG that team is beyond ridiculous!

tonydanza87
05-02-2011, 07:52 PM
not gonna happen

ElMarroAfamado
05-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Sterling seems to have a man crush on Chris Paul since everytime I go to a game I see him yellin stuff out to him like "you belong in L.A" and stuff like that....but more than a PG or a CENTER....we need a Small Forward. Realistically, the Clippers are not signing any star people that think they are should stop being delusional. I would much rather sign a decent/athletic SF ala Jason Richardson or ideally a pure shooter....Clipper SFs are so horrible that people overrate them whenever they have mediocre games since they suck so much...

ElMarroAfamado
05-02-2011, 09:21 PM
by the way....I think Mo Williams is one of the best PGs the Clippers have had in recent memory.....

lila1443
05-02-2011, 09:29 PM
its the clippers they dont have a shot too get these players...unless mark jackson gets hired to take over total basketball operations....not enough basketball people involved in the everyday of the team..