PDA

View Full Version : Amare calls Pau soft...

shep33
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/knicks-amare-stoudemire-calls-lakers-pau-gasol-soft

He says he's a good player but basically gets support from Odom and Drew down low.

nickdymez
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
we all knew that

sunsfan88
04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Is it really thread worthy to state the obvious?

shep33
04-03-2011, 08:03 PM

I think it's kind of funny coming from Amare though. I love Amare's game, actually one of my favorite players... but the guy is probably a worse defender and rebounder than Pau, so I mean if he gets outperformed by a "soft" player what does that make Amare?

Yeah sure everyone knows that Pau is soft, but even though I love Amare I can't remember the last time I saw Pau with 1 rebound in a game.

MrfadeawayJB
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
common knowledge....amare and pau are equally soft on defense and rebounding, but at least amare dunks on people instead of yelling everytime he shoots a fadeaway jumper in the lane lol

Avenged
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Who cares what Amare says, he always talks **** about Laker players (ex: when Kobe shot 45+ FG's saying if he shot that many he'd have a lot more than 50...... last season playoffs against Odom.)

Pau is still better than him and he's soft. Amare isn't necessarily a tough guy himself. He can throw it down, big deal.

sunsfan88
04-03-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it's kind of funny coming from Amare though. I love Amare's game, actually one of my favorite players... but the guy is probably a worse defender and rebounder than Pau, so I mean if he gets outperformed by a "soft" player what does that make Amare?

Yeah sure everyone knows that Pau is soft, but even though I love Amare I can't remember the last time I saw Pau with 1 rebound in a game.
Amare ain't soft on offense. Pau is. Case closed.

John Walls Era
04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Amare is way softer on defense. Ive never seen a guy do less with athletic ability like his. I mean I know hes injury prone, but at least try to get in front of your guy.

TylerSL
04-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I agree that Pau is soft (tho not as soft as he used to be). But where does Amare get off saying anybody is soft. Has he seen himself play defense???? Guess not....

psperry34116
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Who doesnt think hes soft. Ive heard Jackson, Perkins and Bryant say the same thing.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-03-2011, 08:37 PM
WTF? This is like a midget calling a 5'6 guy short. Amare was taken to the wood shed last year in the playoffs by Pau.

danniboi168
lol trying to cause more hate

KnicksR4Real

soft refers to physicality. so ya amare is terrible at both, but it has nothing to do with the topic. Pau is suck a baby tho. So funny. But hey, he ain't bad at it

DwayneMVPwade
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
he is soft, but soft doesnt mean he is a bad player

allSUAVE
04-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Exactly took the words straight out my mouth.

But they got to do they do diligence and hate or criticize.

NYK_kidd77
04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
They both are soft.

Anilyzer
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Pau is quicker than Amare, and is also a more amazing and effective scorer.

Why isn't Amare more physical player? You'd think he'd be like Dwight Howard or something, but he's nothing like that. If Pau gets ahold of him in the Finals Amare will be yelling for mercy

KnicksorBust
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Amar'e should shut his mouth. Dude was getting dunked on by assclowns like Ryan Hollins and Alonzo Gee. Knicks don't need any controversial ******** about a player on a team that would slap us around like a whiny younger brother if we actually had to go against them.

John Walls Era
04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Amar'e should shut his mouth. Dude was getting dunked on by assclowns like Ryan Hollins and Alonzo Gee. Knicks don't need any controversial ******** about a player on a team that would slap us around like a whiny younger brother if we actually had to go against them.

This. I have no problems with Amare, but he runs his mouth a lot.

stawka
04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Pot, meet kettle

BklynKnicks3
04-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Amare is soft on defense. Paul is soft on both ends, That said its close whos better

Lim
04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey i don't think this topic has been discussed before. i could be wrong tho

Bullsfan22
04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
cotton candy soft.

Lake_Show2416
04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
ya, that soft guy is better than you :laugh2:

Enemey
04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I wonder why nobody picks on Dirk or Chris Bosh? Is it because that soft boy has been to the finals 3 straight times and winning 2?

godolphins
04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Who hasn't call him soft?

MrfadeawayJB
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM

This

Kinkotheclown
04-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Agreed about thinking Stat is great. And agree about the rest. But the irony of the statement is off the charts. Especially considering the amount of posts we've all made, saying how badly Stat needs a legit center to take the physicality pressure off him and save him from getting beaten up.

shep33
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I think Amare is a bit soft himself in all truth, love the guy, but I mean there are times on defense and on the boards where he doesn't look interested in banging. I think most Knick fans would even agree, just as most Laker fans agree that Pau is too often soft at times. Both are great players nonetheless.

THINKBLUE15
04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
How do you feel about not being as good or successful as a "soft" player?

Of course he's soft. Who cares. He is what he is. And he's damn good at what he does. Focus on yourself. Amare is a hell of a player and I have nothing against him. But why do players feel the need to talk about other players so much?

John Walls Era
04-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Amare is soft on defense. Paul is soft on both ends, That said its close whos better

No its not.

shep33
04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Agreed about thinking Stat is great. And agree about the rest. But the irony of the statement is off the charts. Especially considering the amount of posts we've all made, saying how badly Stat needs a legit center to take the physicality pressure off him and save him from getting beaten up.

Yeah that's a valid point, but I just don't think its a good enough excuse for Amare at times. Even in Phoenix when he had Shaq, or even Robin Lopez, who isn't that good I know, but atleast allowed Amare to play the 4 and really his rebounding didn't change much at all.
I actually think it has to do with coaching... Amare has played basically his whole career in a run and gun offense with little focus on defense and rebounding.

Either way both a great players. The thing with Amare is that I wouldn't call him soft as much as predominantly one dimensional. The guy shows flashes of great defense and rebounding, but throughout his career bringing both offense and defense together has been a problem, which is kinda why I blame coaching.

Hellcrooner
04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
yeah thats why he CAN play center and hold down some of them..

like Cough d12 cough cough in the FINALS cough cough.

Too bad you are not making it to teh finals with the knicks in order that the soft player can smile at your face holding the trophy before your nose.

NYKnicks4511
04-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I think Amar'e is a better player than Pau, naturally because he's on my favorite team, and I also think that Amar'e is more valuable to have on a team.

Amar'e has taken on a leadership role, and I think this season he proved he could be the alpha dog on a solid, playoff team.

I think Pau is a tremendous player, and his 'soft' tag comes from his European style of play, the hook shots, turnarounds, etc in the paint. Pau is more back to the basket and Amar'e is a face-up PF.

Amar'e and Pau's man defense is sub-par, but I think Amar'e (when he applies himself) can be a very good help defender, and team defender. With Carmelo and potentially CP3 playing bigger roles in the offense, I think he'll have more energy to assert himself on D.

shep33
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I think Amar'e is a better player than Pau, naturally because he's on my favorite team, and I also think that Amar'e is more valuable to have on a team.

Amar'e has taken on a leadership role, and I think this season he proved he could be the alpha dog on a solid, playoff team.

I think Pau is a tremendous player, and his 'soft' tag comes from his European style of play, the hook shots, turnarounds, etc in the paint. Pau is more back to the basket and Amar'e is a face-up PF.

Amar'e and Pau's man defense is sub-par, but I think Amar'e (when he applies himself) can be a very good help defender, and team defender. With Carmelo and potentially CP3 playing bigger roles in the offense, I think he'll have more energy to assert himself on D.

Yeah, this is a good summary. Just wanted to ask, do you think Amare's shortcoming's on defense are due to him playing within basically a run and gun system his whole career? I think that might be an underlying factor... I don't think anyone has really pushed him to rebound and play defense up to his ability yet.

I love Pau, the guy's repetoire offensively is very scary. Also, yeah he can be soft, but I thought he fouth with KG, Perk and Sheed pretty well last year in the finals, so I gotta give him props for that.

John Walls Era
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Whats the Knicks record? Yes they're a playoff team, but Amare hasn't led them to anything (8-6 seed in the East is not impressive comparing to Gasol leading the Grizzlies to a playoff seed in the West). Also Amare is losing his "Alpha dog" status since the Melo trade.

Defense is 50% trying... thats not an excuse. Amare hasn't tried on D since he came into the league, its too much to expect that he will change.

LA_Raiders
04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
lol. Amare work your D not your mouth...

Toxeryll
04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Whats the Knicks record? Yes they're a playoff team, but Amare hasn't led them to anything (8-6 seed in the East is not impressive comparing to Gasol leading the Grizzlies to a playoff seed in the West). Also Amare is losing his "Alpha dog" status since the Melo trade.

Defense is 50% trying... thats not an excuse. Amare hasn't tried on D since he came into the league, its too much to expect that he will change.

i agree with everything you said especially the bolded part

Jenceman
04-03-2011, 11:12 PM

No, Amare is not more valuable. Not even close.

Pau led a team, in the much deeper and talented West, to a 50 win season.

Amare can't even lead a team in the Eastern Conference to a .500 season with Carmelo friggin Anthony as a teammate.

Hunter48MVP
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow! I'm SO Suprise

fingerbang
04-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I thought Pau was soft too until I watched him dominate KG in the finals.

Pau is not soft. If he is that means Amare is real soft. Pau is easily the better defender and rebounder right now.

enserio
04-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Too bad they'll never see the Lakers in the postseason.

fingerbang
04-03-2011, 11:27 PM
People are saying tha Pau is soft on offense, why?

He's a better offensive rebounder and he's got a better post up game than the so called "hard forward".

Enemey
04-04-2011, 03:57 AM
I thought Pau was soft too until I watched him dominate KG in the finals.

Pau is not soft. If he is that means Amare is real soft. Pau is easily the better defender and rebounder right now.

I agree. didn't Amar'e get dominated by KG this year ?

Purple&Gold24
04-04-2011, 04:14 AM
The softy some how has "2" more rings to Amare's "0"

IBleedPurple
04-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Amare is taking focus away from his poor play as of late

Mudvayne91
04-04-2011, 04:26 AM
I'm not a fan of Gasol, in fact, I absolutely despise the French looking Spaniard. That being said, I do have more respect for him after last nights' game. Nene fouled him pretty hard (wouldn't say it was malicious or deserved a flagrant though) and he landed with his knee buckling extremely awkward, especially for a guy 7'. I thought he was going to be done for the season, but instead, the man comes back out and finishes the game.

Hell, I know I'll probably catch some grief for this, but Bynum might be the softy here. At least extremely injury prone, which could be construed as soft. He dominates the first half of the game against Denver, scoring and rebounding against our much smaller lineup. Pretty sure he had like 10+ rebounds within minutes of the second quarter. Then Karl decides throws Mozgov in, a man of same stature that isn't going to get bullied around by Bynum. After that point, Bynum was an afterthought. In fact, Gasol is out there late in the 4th quarter when they needed him most despite that nasty fall. Not Bynum though, he's on the bench holding his knee. I'm not trying to talk trash about Bynum, I'm just saying he should've been our there at the end.

shep33
04-04-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm not a fan of Gasol, in fact, I absolutely despise the French looking Spaniard. That being said, I do have more respect for him after last nights' game. Nene fouled him pretty hard (wouldn't say it was malicious or deserved a flagrant though) and he landed with his knee buckling extremely awkward, especially for a guy 7'. I thought he was going to be done for the season, but instead, the man comes back out and finishes the game.

Hell, I know I'll probably catch some grief for this, but Bynum might be the softy here. At least extremely injury prone, which could be construed as soft. He dominates the first half of the game against Denver, scoring and rebounding against our much smaller lineup. Pretty sure he had like 10+ rebounds within minutes of the second quarter. Then Karl decides throws Mozgov in, a man of same stature that isn't going to get bullied around by Bynum. After that point, Bynum was an afterthought. In fact, Gasol is out there late in the 4th quarter when they needed him most despite that nasty fall. Not Bynum though, he's on the bench holding his knee. I'm not trying to talk trash about Bynum, I'm just saying he should've been our there at the end.

I get what your saying, most Laker fans were upset that Drew wasn't in there toward the end, after Phil said Drew was okay following him tweaking that knee. Once Drew was out of the game, LA seemed to have no energy, they looked like a tired team today, and what people forget is that often times since the break, Drew has been our energy guy on that starting lineup. Mostly due to him being a baby still at like 23, but once he tweaked his knee and sat out the game changed in favor of Denver.

I think when Phil saw Drew kinda tweak his knee, regardless of Drew being okay afterwards, Phil just decided to shut it down. It's one thing to chase a top seed and another to risk losing a player to a prolonged injury, especially with the playoffs right around the corner... So I understand the decision by Phil... tough game to lose, but we need Pau and Drew healthy first and foremost. I think we've been pushing it a little too much lately trying to catch the Spurs. Kobe got banged up against the Jazz on Friday, Pau and Drew today.

Still a well deserved win for the Nuggets.

Mudvayne91
04-04-2011, 04:51 AM
^ Indeed. And the Mavs losing certainly made the loss not so terrible after all too.

shep33
04-04-2011, 04:54 AM
^ Indeed. And the Mavs losing certainly made the loss not so terrible after all too.

Yeah, it actually almost makes it a good loss in a way, if there ever is such thing haha. OKC has lost 2 in a row, and Dallas 3 in a row with us now 3 games up on the Mavericks after they lost to the Blazers tonight.

It might get interesting though, OKC is now 2 back of Dallas, so if Dallas slides, you guys will probably get the Mavs instead of OKC.

ewmania
04-04-2011, 05:08 AM
WTF? This is like a midget calling a 5'6 guy short. Amare was taken to the wood shed last year in the playoffs by Pau.

odom defended amare in the playoffs more than gasol did, and so did bynum

Mudvayne91
04-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Yeah, it actually almost makes it a good loss in a way, if there ever is such thing haha. OKC has lost 2 in a row, and Dallas 3 in a row with us now 3 games up on the Mavericks after they lost to the Blazers tonight.

It might get interesting though, OKC is now 2 back of Dallas, so if Dallas slides, you guys will probably get the Mavs instead of OKC.

Nuggets actually have 2 games left with OKC (one home and away) and we are 3 games back from the division. Nuggets have been playing the best next to the Lakers, it might be a bit optimistic of me, but I don't see why the Nuggets can't take both from OKC. And if remember correctly, OKC has a game left with the Lakers too. Nuggets would most likely need to win out, but I don't see it out of the question that they could take the division still.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-04-2011, 05:32 AM
LMAO at least Pau plays defense

shep33
04-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Nuggets actually have 2 games left with OKC (one home and away) and we are 3 games back from the division. Nuggets have been playing the best next to the Lakers, it might be a bit optimistic of me, but I don't see why the Nuggets can't take both from OKC. And if remember correctly, OKC has a game left with the Lakers too. Nuggets would most likely need to win out, but I don't see it out of the question that they could take the division still.

Yeah, it's very possible. OKC does have one left against us in the final 2-3 games i believe. That 4 spot would be really great for you guys. Pepsi Center is a tough place to play for anybody. Those two games vs. OKC that you guys have are gonna be pretty interesting then in terms of seeding, and really just how the teams matchup with one another. I think that series will be a very very good one, probably the most watched and anticipated of the first round. You guys matchup well with them.

bolts4ever
04-04-2011, 05:42 AM
0 ZERO!!!! as in the number of seasons that Amare has averaged 10 plus REBS.

AMARE who's soft???? 6'10 PF who cant get 10 boards, hilarious!!!!

PrettyBoyJ
04-04-2011, 07:25 AM
I came to the conclusion that Amare doesnt defend or rebound for the simple fact he wants to stay in the game and he isnt a smart defender so if he were to commit to defense he would be in foul trouble majority of the time like early in his career thus limiting his effect on the game.. And he loves to score..

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

I'd like to see Amare go head to head with Pau and see who comes out on top. I love Amare's O game, he's got a great skill set, but he is the LAST person to be calling somebody soft.

jzero
04-04-2011, 09:24 AM

defense wins championships

Team*Chicago
04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Ofcorse Pau Gasol is soft but Chris Bosh is softer than Pau Gasol. Amare should talk about how soft Chris Bosh is after he was complaining like a woman when a foreigh rookie rolled over and injuried his ankle, when Kevin Durrant called Chris Bosh a fake tuff guy and and when Chris Bosh cried in the locker room after getting his a-- kicked by the Bulls 3 times. Amare should talk about Chris being soft not Pau being soft even though it's true.

NYKnicks4511
04-05-2011, 01:47 AM

Well Pau only averaged 20 and 8 that year (05-06) on the Grizzlies, and he and Amar'e usage percentages are similar (27% vs 30%).
Pau had veteran leadership with a still solid Damon Stoudamire, Mike Miller, Bobby Jackson, Shane Battier, Eddie Jones, and Chucky Atkins (all of which averaged at least 10 ppg). Amar'e is "the guy" vs Pau was just their best player.

I agree Amar'e is no longer the #1, but he and Melo are 1a and 1b. They've shown relatively good cohesion especially when playing on the opposite blocks, they're looking for each other inside and usually end up with easy buckets. Amar'e and Melo will complement each other with little to no friction, I firmly believe that both as players and leaders.

Amar'e was playing good Defense the first couple months of the year, ask any Knick fans and they'll tell you the same thing -- it surprised all of us. Amar'e is still averaging 2 Blocks per game, as well as a steal, so it gives some indication that he has potential to do well when he tries. Honestly I think D'Antoni screwed him up to some degree with the minimal emphasis on defense.

Basically Amar'e vs. Pau could be a wash depending on your point of view, both top 3 PFs. However, I think that if NYK gets another superstar and eventually a new coach who emphasizes defense, I think people's opinions of Amar'es defense will change. Dude plays 40 MPG most nights, if he has two other options (Melo and CP3 for example), he could have more energy to apply himself on defense like I mentioned in my previous post. A coach that at least tries to teach defense would only spur him onwards.