PDA

View Full Version : Is Hasheem Thabeet The Biggest Bust In NBA History?

Savage Sunday
04-03-2011, 03:34 AM
There have been plenty of players who get that label of being "The Biggest Bust In NBA History" but at the very least they were solid role players.

Both Kwame & Darko are starters. Darko in his 9th year and has settled in as an average Center. Kwame is in his 11th year and is having his best overall season in terms of importance.

We've had 2 seasons to judge Thabeet. In 115 games Thabeet carries averages of 2.1 PPG and 2.8 RPG. He has been sent to the NBDL 3 times by 2 different franchises. In the NBDL, Thabeet continues to see the same struggles as he does against NBA talent. As a 7'3 giant he still doesnt have the strength to box out and his offense is as limited as it was at UConn.

Keep in mind this was a #2 pick in the NBA Draft. Although most agreed he shouldn't have been the #2 pick he was thought to be a Top 5 pick in the 2009 NBA Draft. He came in with expectations of being the next Mutumbo. Ultimately, he will leave Houston as the first Thabust.

John Walls Era
04-03-2011, 03:34 AM
He will shine in Houston. Give him 1 more year.

Savage Sunday
04-03-2011, 03:39 AM
He will shine in Houston. Give him 1 more year.

When asked if Hasheem Thabeet might play, Rockets coach Rick Adelman said, "I don't know what I'm supposed to do with him."

Im sorry dude but if Hasheem Thabeet somehow shines in any way it will be a miracle. I've followed him since he was a freshman at UConn and I knew he had hit his ceiling potential-wise. My thoughts were that if he weren't able to contribute immediately and adjust to NBA-level talent, then he would have no chance of having a NBA career down the road.

I cant even see him as a back-up in the NBA. He seems poised to spend years in Europe as a shot-blocking dynamo standing under a basket thanks to no 3 second rule.

John Walls Era
04-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Damn... is it because hes dumb or just plain bad? Adelman usually works well with whats given to him; guess his career might be done. Sucks since he was a great defensive player in college.

The Jokemaker
04-03-2011, 03:50 AM
This guy was raw coming out and everyone knew he was a project player. He's a guy that needs to be DEVELOPED to be successful and get minutes. He hasn't really gotten much of either.

lilojmayo
04-03-2011, 03:55 AM
I want him to succeed but know he won't. Just not talented enough

Geargo Wallace
04-03-2011, 04:04 AM
man I was reminiscing w/ my buddies about how I used to be a huge UCONN fan. The Thabeet era ****ed that all up. They really sucked w/ him there.

Jewelz0376
04-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Morrison is a bigger bust

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-03-2011, 04:17 AM
What a joke, he should have been a 2nd round pick.

PrettyBoyJ
04-03-2011, 04:29 AM
What a joke, he should have been a 2nd round pick.

more like undrafted and sign to a non-guarantee contract or a 10 day

Savage Sunday
04-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Damn... is it because hes dumb or just plain bad? Adelman usually works well with whats given to him; guess his career might be done. Sucks since he was a great defensive player in college.

He just doesn't have the skill. Unfortunately Hasheem never was taught a skill outside of using his size to block shots. He got to the states in high school but he was already 6'9 as a 13 year old, and the coaches there taught him to serve his purpose. "Stand under this basket, now stick your arms up". No 3 second rule made him a dominant shot blocker in those ranks as he stayed under the basket all game. He was 7'3 as an 18 year old so nothing changed.

The work the coaches at UConn did with him was amazing based upon what he was when he arrived here at UConn. He took a major jump into his sophmore year but reached his peak as a Junior, although many thought he would keep taking these huge jumps in improvement.

In the NBA he struggles to rotate on defense and gets out-positioned on the boards. Take him away from the basket, when the shot misses even Power Forwards 8 inches shorter than him will grab the rebound instead of him by boxing him out. On defense the problem coaches had with him at UConn is that they had to teach him how to jump vertically. When he does it he is effective, but it isnt 2nd nature to him as it is for most NBA big men. In regards to him blocking shots in the NBA he exclusively gets them standing under the basket and swatting attempts at a putback by a smaller player. This is where he draws most of his fouls as due to him not jumping vertically he ends up towering over the offensive player reaching for the shotblock. This is an instant foul with or without a dramatic cry by the offensive player. When he got in foul trouble at UConn he immediately played conservatively and gave up baskets, as he hasnt played considerable minutes to get in foul trouble in the NBA I am not sure if he still has that habit.

That sums it up. lol

Cliffs:
-Made major strides first 2 years, peaked as a Junior
-Never worked on any shot further than 5 feet
-3 second rule makes him ineffective on defense
-Is an instant foul machine because he doesn't know how to jump vertically

The Grizzlies gave up on him because they realized they are teaching a 24 year old man things that are taught to a 15 year old Center.

There is no such thing as a shotblocker-for-hire in the NBA. Most shotblockers are skilled at something else which gets them on the court. Thabeet will have to completely re-tool his game on offense and that would mean at best him becoming a backup C.

Savage Sunday
04-03-2011, 04:42 AM
more like undrafted and sign to a non-guarantee contract or a 10 day

That ultimately is where his future will lie in regards to the NBA. I guess things have come full circle.

Im sure if the Rockets waive him(or somehow trade him) that there is a team in the NBA who wants to see this project up close and personal.

abe_froman
04-03-2011, 04:52 AM
biggest? i'd still say no.even though he was the number 2 pick.he wasnt that highly hyped/regarded coming into the draft.and ontop of that a big project as well

but yeah just for being number 2 pick his name should get some burn

Bulls_fan90
04-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Are the Rockets going to pick up his team option or cut him? (like Joe Alexander).

Supa
04-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Mutumbo doesn't have much of an offense and Campy weights only 235lb, yet both have successes in the league.

How does he compare to Mutumbo or Camby? What's missing?

---

Kashmir13579
04-03-2011, 06:49 AM
not even close. he will be serviceable.

Swashcuff
04-03-2011, 07:27 AM
not even close. he will be serviceable.

This

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2011, 08:18 AM
First of all no he's not second of all he's 24.

Patience with young players is needed.

French totem
04-03-2011, 08:44 AM
this thread nees more sam bowie !! i know i know he was ok but you cant be any player ahead of jordan, thats how i rank a bust, ahead of whom he was taken !!

Iron24th
04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Jermaine O'Neal struggled like 3 or 4 straights seasons,NBA is all about opportunities.

LakersIn5
04-03-2011, 10:12 AM
this was actually being discussed in the magic vs. bobcats game a few days back. on the no.1 picks who have never made an allstar team. they commentators said that it was Larue Martin. after some research i actually agree with them.

LARUE MARTIN IS THE BIGGEST BUST
5.3 ppg 4.6 rpg for the no.1 overall pick in the 1972 draft

DJakk
04-03-2011, 10:15 AM
He still has the potential to be a great rebounder and a defensive force. He has played fairly well in the D-League which will only bring back some confidence in his play.

mzgrizz
04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
i want him to succeed but know he won't. Just not talented enough

Hawkeye15
04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
far too early to call this one. He was drafted on size and potential, and needs a couple more years to be fairly judged. Do I think he will be a bust? Yes. But I can't say he is yet

lvlheaded
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
No, he isnt. He is 24 and 7'3". He will eventually be a serviceable big man in the league. If Mike D was capable of grooming him, id be all for the Knicks getting him

Punk
04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
The only reason why he doesn't get playing time is actually two simple reasons. He doesn't run well and he doesn't have good hands in catching the ball in traffic.

ManRam
04-03-2011, 02:45 PM
He was drafted knowing fully well that he'd be a project. Did they think he'd be this much of a project? No. But still...you can't call a guy the biggest bust ever this early in his career, that's just nothing short of laughable.

LA_Raiders
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
think he will develop in about 2 years, he is still too green

NYK|NYY
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Absolutely not. Even if he never amounts to anything, there was a considerable amount of people, probably too many for him to be taken where he went, thinking he was going to be a bust. That's what happens when teams draft for need.

arkanian215
04-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Well he is 7'3 so maybe.

Lake_Show2416
04-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Jermaine O'Neal struggled like 3 or 4 straights seasons,NBA is all about opportunities.

Seriously stop judging the kid after 3, 4 years of very limited play, it didnt help that Marc Gasol is a stud too

he learned basketball not too long ago, some players need some bad years of struggle to work out the kinks

at worst I think he'll be a nice role player off the bench, but also can become a solid starting center in this league

tp13baby
04-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Mutumbo doesn't have much of an offense and Campy weights only 235lb, yet both have successes in the league.

How does he compare to Mutumbo or Camby? What's missing?

---

camby can shoot, he can rebound and he just overall is more talented.

FlakeyFool
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Hes as bad as Alabi and Alabi was a second rounder.

SeoulBeatz
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
For the few games I've seen Thabeet play, he actually looks serviceable out there. I mean he is useless on offense besides dunks and putbacks. But he has tremendous size and he seemed to disrupt shots really well. I don't know, he I think he could be a solid player, something must be wrong with him though because he has some good attributes.

Hellcrooner
04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Im sorry dude but if Hasheem Thabeet somehow shines in any way it will be a miracle. I've followed him since he was a freshman at UConn and I knew he had hit his ceiling potential-wise. My thoughts were that if he weren't able to contribute immediately and adjust to NBA-level talent, then he would have no chance of having a NBA career down the road.

I cant even see him as a back-up in the NBA. He seems poised to spend years in Europe as a shot-blocking dynamo standing under a basket thanks to no 3 second rule.

only that THERE IS 3 second rule in FIba basket.

Mishmin
04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Biggest bust ALLTIME? No, some team will get something out of him. Morrison comes to mind as being a bigger bust.

Hellcrooner
04-03-2011, 03:13 PM
this thread nees more sam bowie !! i know i know he was ok but you cant be any player ahead of jordan, thats how i rank a bust, ahead of whom he was taken !!

ok, then hakeem olajuwon is a bust in your book

whitemamba33
04-03-2011, 03:40 PM
How do you start off a thread like this and not notice the HUGE flaw in your own post.

You point out that Darko and Kwame have only NOW become half-decent players...after 8 or 9 seasons or so.

Yet, you are going to label Thabeet a bust after only 2 seasons?

Come back in 10 years and start this thread...on your space shuttle.

MrfadeawayJB
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Glad he is Houston's problem now!!!

IDB Josh M
04-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
DeMar DeRozan
Brandon Jennings
Ty Lawson
Omri Casspi
Taj Gibson

Ricky Rubio was also drafted after him, but he doesn't count until he starts playing in the NBA.

IDB Josh M
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Seriously stop judging the kid after 3, 4 years of very limited play, it didnt help that Marc Gasol is a stud too

he learned basketball not too long ago, some players need some bad years of struggle to work out the kinks

at worst I think he'll be a nice role player off the bench, but also can become a solid starting center in this league

Yeah, but number 2? When he was drafted at dos, after Blake griffen, I figured he was a stud.

SA5195
04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
He needs time...but I will say this, what a waste of a 2nd pick

pebloemer
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Consider context of draft. #2 overall in Thabeet's year is not the same value as #2 overall in Darko's year. Biggest bust is still Darko based on players passed on to take him.

quade36
04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I really don't know how you can mention this with the History of basketball. Please research before making a blanket statement like that. Biggest buts in the last 10 years has to be Greg Oden. In my lifetime, Pervis Never Nervous Ellision. Ever Larue Martin. Dude was drafted ahead of Julius Erving and Bob McAdoo. Wow....

JWO35
04-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I need a little more time before jumping to a conclusion on Hasheem "The Dream" Thabeet....He will most likely never live up to the #2 overall pick, but he may be serviceable 5yrs down the road(similar to Darko)

kozelkid
04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Being a bust isn't just about failing to live up to expectations, it's also dependent on not just what pick #, but relative to the talent around him. 09 draft was just not that good. Compare that to Darko in the 03 draft where 4 allstar players (2 of which are top 5 players in the NBA right now) were drafted around him and he has to be one of the biggest. Or Sam Bowie who was picked ahead of the GOAT, Barkley, Stockton etc.

There are bigger busts. Thabeet was just a dumb pick in the first place. They were criticized on that since they made that pick. Classic example of drafting by need and not talent.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Milicic. Milicic is kind of like the Tony Mandarich of the NBA. Both were the second pick and picked before many great players.

drobe86
04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
no not of all time. thabeet is still young he has time to improve. Though he'll never be a great player.

Sync
04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Morrison, I haven't seen him score in the NBA.

mttwlsn16
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
michael olowakandi

killbumdeluxe13
04-03-2011, 10:18 PM
man I was reminiscing w/ my buddies about how I used to be a huge UCONN fan. The Thabeet era ****ed that all up. They really sucked w/ him there.

Ya, only making the final four. that really sucks.:facepalm:

He is a bust though. Everyone should have known it, he's not strong and has no offensive game.

godolphins
04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Not the biggest bust but still a bust as of now

ShockerArt
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't think that it's Thabeet's fault that Chris Wallace didn't watch him play in college. Smart GMs wouldn't have taken him that high.

Double_R
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
I think being the biggest bust has to include several variables:

1) What kind of hype/expectation/ceiling was put on you
2) Who was picked directly after you(say if you were #2, who was 3,4,5,6)
3) What did the team invest in you
4) Etc.

Azzacadabra
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
He isn't a bust more of a high risk/high reward draft pick. He's got the size but if you can't use it to your advantage in the Nba then you're just a 7 foot + guy who can reach the attic stairs when called upon.

sep11ie
04-04-2011, 11:50 AM
It took Darko and Kwame how long to become starters?

ttam68
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Olowakandi went #1

THE_FLASH_21
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Morrison got hurt, but yea he wasn't that good. But HT is horrible!!!

knickfan33
04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Darko......
And possably oden if he cant stay on the court....

knickfan33
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
he isn't a bust more of a high risk/high reward draft pick. He's got the size but if you can't use it to your advantage in the nba then you're just a 7 foot + guy who can reach the attic stairs when called upon.

good call... Not many people expect thabeet to be anything good... But you have to take a guy with that size and upside when available.....

Look at hibbert... Hes coming around pretty well

Revolu7i9n
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
was he drafted #1 overall? nope. Even Darko is a bigger bust if you go by draft position.

DoubleDragon
04-04-2011, 02:45 PM

I don't know. I think by sheer disappointment due to injury verses expectation, Greg Oden (picked over K. Durant) might be a bigger one. In that one, you actually feel bad for the Blazers and their fanbase because of the size of the gamble.

Time will tell on both of these though...

as far as Morrison goes...I don't even know what to say:shrug: thought he was supposed to be the next Larry Bird. Bummer:o

Mr_Amaziing
02-25-2012, 03:30 AM
What happened to the guy? He haven't been playing lately
Is he training? / injured?

I wish Okc could trade Mohammed or Hayward for him

Ibaka n Thabeet down low = Shot Blocking Party

Odominator
02-25-2012, 03:57 AM
When I think of NBA busts, I think about Kwame Brown first.

xILLN355
02-25-2012, 04:00 AM
hasheem thabeet and roy hibbert should put on the supreme kai's off of dragon ball zs earrings so they could fusion together

Becks2307
02-25-2012, 04:03 AM
craziest thing about thabeet is that I have never seen him play in an NBA game.

fadedmario
02-25-2012, 04:04 AM
He's right up there.

fadedmario
02-25-2012, 04:05 AM
was he drafted #1 overall? nope. Even Darko is a bigger bust if you go by draft position.

Weren't they both drafted #2

bklynny67
02-25-2012, 04:21 AM
No way absolutely NOT!

This is a bit of a joke to me. He wasn't really projected to be a superstar type player. There have been players who were "supposed" to be better than this guy and flopped big time (Kwame Brown). Thabeet hasn't even been in the league long enough for this to be determined anyway.

Kyben36
02-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Greg Oden is a bigger one IMO, because its not that he is a bust, but he is a potential HOF player if he could stay healthy but he cant. Thabeet was never going to be a HOF player, maybe a tyson chandler with a slightly better Offensive game. but Oden had/has potential and just cant get one the floor.

TO Rapz
02-25-2012, 12:25 PM

I miss you Geargo. :sigh:

Kashmir13579
02-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Getting slapped around by Syracuse really took its toll on this kid.

mdm692
02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Kwame brown??

justinnum1
02-25-2012, 01:07 PM
He plays to get a pay check not other reason.

cubfan23
02-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I knew this guy wasn't going to be good all he could do was dunk and play some D. TBH though I also thought Noah wouldn't be that good, ya he was good at D but offensively thought he was limited. The times I saw Blake Griffin to in college, ya he had all that athleticism but I didn't see many games and didn't know how much offensive skills he'd have to.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2012, 02:55 PM
no need to bump this thread after nearly a year.