PDA

View Full Version : LeBron playing PG

NetsPaint
04-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Inspired by the Rose thread.

LeBron's best skill is his passing. That team doesn't have much aside from it's stars. I know he gets his assists, but what if he got more, and to players who need more passes than Wade who doesn't need him to score?

They're chemistry might be better. They're winning, and it's their first season together, but regardless, still not blowing out many teams.

ManRam
04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
He basically does play the point position the majority of the game. Wade does a lot of the handling. Bibby just shoots and sets weird picks. LeBron plays, defends and fills more positions on a given night than any player in the league...if he doesn't, I'd be stunned. But the majority of it is at the point-forward. He's too big to strictly play point guard, but he does play point-forward a TON, and always has.

:shrug:

Cano4prez
04-02-2011, 08:39 PM
He basically does play the point position the majority of the game. Wade does a lot of the handling. Bibby just shoots and sets weird picks. LeBron plays, defends and fills more positions on a given night than any player in the league...if he doesn't, I'd be stunned. But the majority of it is at the point-forward. He's too big to strictly play point guard, but he does play point-forward a TON, and always has.

Pretty much all of this.

Don't hate on Bibby's screens either :p

godolphins
04-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't want him as the primary ball handler

Lake_Show2416
04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
i was thinking to put him at PF, but i heard he doesn't really like the post & to bang

justinnum1
04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
He does not have a pg mentality, which can hurt at times. When bosh is hot, a real pg would keep passing to him and set him up. Lebron does not. He can make excellent passes and has amazing court vision.

heatking
04-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Lbj is that good... He can play 1-5.

Lake_Show2416
04-02-2011, 09:35 PM

except the 1 & 5 part ha, & also not wanting to play the 4 but very close

jneises21
04-02-2011, 09:45 PM
except the 1 & 5 part ha, & also not wanting to play the 4 but very close

He could play the 1... and 4 with practice

hugepatsfan
04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Doesn't he already play PG offensively. To me, he's a PG that guards SFs.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I always play Lebron at PG in video games because of his great passing skill along with being built like a tank.

The reason Lebron can't play PG in real life is because IMO, his ego wouldn't let him settle being the "2nd guy" and would prefer to score more to be the "main guy".

But you are right. His best skill is being a passer and if he had a mindset of being a passer instead of wanting to score like 25 every game, he would be getting like 15 APG. He gets the ball enough to make it happen. He just tries to score when he could pass.

nickdymez
04-02-2011, 09:58 PM

He can also: cure cancer, walk on water, dunk on a 30 ft rim, Fly a jet, climb any mountain, direct a movie, race and beat a cheetah, and he invented the internet.

ldawg
04-02-2011, 10:02 PM
who cares, put this ish in heat forum.

Avenged
04-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Lebron cannot play 1-5 :pity:

Anyways, he practically is their point guard from time to time. He's too big for one, but he definitely has the speed.

DwayneMVPwade
04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
i can see this. I pitched this idea to a friend actually like a month ago. Some teams, might have to go without a PG, just to attempt to guard Lebron, D-wade at the 2, Miller at 3 Bosh at 4 and Z at 5.

DwayneMVPwade
04-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Anyways, he practically is their point guard from time to time. He's too big for one, but he definitely has the speed.

Size doesnt matter. He has the court vision, speed, passing ability and willingness to pass, why not?

He can play 1-4

heatking
04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
He can also: cure cancer, walk on water, dunk on a 30 ft rim, Fly a jet, climb any mountain, direct a movie, race and beat a cheetah, and he invented the internet.

Lmao i tought that was joel anthony.

Avenged
04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Size doesnt matter. He has the court vision, speed, passing ability and willingness to pass, why not?

He can play 1-4

Yeah, but I'd consider that a point-forward more than anything.

LayZbone
04-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Well Spo has called upon him to play all 5 positions throughout the year, so yes he can. Not to say he should be a full time 1, 5, or even 2, 4. But he's certainly capable of playing any position on the floor in limited minutes. Against small ball lineups, or teams with no true center, it has actually been beneficial for us to play Lebron in the frontcourt with Bosh, Wade and either Jones or Miller on the perimeter, and Bibby at the point. It's one of our best lineups.

No. But he can play any position on the floor for stretches of the game. If you don't agree, you're wrong. :)

Lake_Show2416
04-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah, but I'd consider that a point-forward more than anything.

I agree 100% there is big difference

Avenged
04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Well Spo has called upon him to play all 5 positions throughout the year, so yes he can. Not to say he should be a full time 1, 5, or even 2, 4. But he's certainly capable of playing any position on the floor in limited minutes. Against small ball lineups, or teams with no true center, it has actually been beneficial for us to play Lebron in the frontcourt with Bosh, Wade and either Jones or Miller on the perimeter, and Bibby at the point. It's one of our best lineups.

No. But he can play any position on the floor for stretches of the game. If you don't agree, you're wrong. :)

I'm sure he can play 1-4, but 5? I guess it does depend on the lack of height the other team possesses. But I wonder how effectively he'd be able to play that position consistently? Not very I would assume.

theheatles
04-02-2011, 10:43 PM

he did all that before he graduated high school

Lolwut?
04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
i was thinking to put him at PF, but i heard he doesn't really like the post & to bang
really ? i get he doesn't like to post up but you can't say he doesn't bang i mean thats almost his game

when your center is andrea bargnani ye he can

marlinsfan24
04-02-2011, 11:02 PM

I don't have to read any further on in this thread. Great post.

Jewelz0376
04-02-2011, 11:11 PM
He already plays point...He just doesnt guard the pg on defense

LayZbone
04-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm sure he can play 1-4, but 5? I guess it does depend on the lack of height the other team possesses. But I wonder how effectively he'd be able to play that position consistently? Not very I would assume.

No not very, you're right about that. He should never have to play there, and he's only had to a couple times, he plays a lot at the 4 though. He's big and strong enough to guard 4's when need be. It depends on the matchup, but no one is going to ask him to guard Dwight, Bynum, Bogut, etc. And like I said, a lot of teams lack a legit backup Center, so they slide their PF to the 5. The Heat can effectively utilize small ball lineups in that scenario. I'm craving for Lebron to develop a good post-game. It's decent, but wish it was even at Wade's level lol. D-Wade actually has a sick-nasty post game, but he's only 6'4", 212. If Lebron had even that at his size....game over.

Lake_Show2416
04-02-2011, 11:18 PM
really ? i get he doesn't like to post up but you can't say he doesn't bang i mean thats almost his game

That's against SFs & SGs, not as physical. PF is constantly posting & boxing out and there actually his size or bigger, that takes a lot out of you & I've just heard he doesn't enjoy that role, nothing wrong with that. Similar to Bosh not liking the center position

I'm not saying he can't, but he wont but you never know he can develop a post game like a big man, who knows?

LayZbone
04-02-2011, 11:18 PM
He already plays point...He just doesnt guard the pg on defense

Chalmers is ok on D, Bibby is bad. So against the C's and Bulls, you'll see a lot of Wade or Lebron guarding Rondo and Rose.

Rafer17
04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Lebrons best skill is scoring...?

and hes the most versatile player in the league. He can definitely play 1-4, maybe 1-5 if there desperate....

JasonJohnHorn
04-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Yup. I think everybody agrees that LBJ is a point guard in a forwards body. The beauty of his game is that he is so big and skilled with his passing, that he can post up and also make plays at the same time, and his size and quickness so often causes defences to break down, that with his court vision and passing, he really knows how to help others score. I thought he did a better job distributing in Cleveland, but he also played with all those guys for year. He and Wade already have great chemistry, but I think playing the PF as he has been, is working well, espcially since Wade also brings the ball up.

What i would most like to see is James playing in the triangle offence. That would be great, espcially with Wade and Bosh. If Tex Winters or Phil Jackson were coaching this team, they'd be coming on 60 wins about now.

The Heat have the potential over the next couple season to build a line up similar to the 80's Lakers of the 96-98 Bulls. The Bulls had two shooting guards in the back court, Harper and Jordan, and Pippen at SF. Pippen and Jordan brought the ball up, and Harper then had a good size advantage over most point guards. That kind of size in the back court it rare and can create miss matches. The Lakers had a similar line size-wise (not skill set wise, I dont mean to compare their games), in that they had a 6'9 PG, which allowed guys like Michael Cooper to really focus on defence, and allowed a smaller shooting guard in Byron Scott (6'3) to guard the PG on the opposing teams while Magic or Coop took the shooting guards.

With Wade, James and Miller, Bosh, there is no reason to be starting Chambers or any other PG for that matter. Wade should be assigned to the PG defensively, Miller the SG and LBJ the SF (LBJ and Miller could swtich up). That would given them a unique advantage in the back court size wise on both ends of the floor. The only problem, they dont have any size in the front court, and evne Bosh is underachieving on the boards still.

Wade and LBJ should be bring the ball up, and Miller should be staring along with them (I havent watched many games lately, so Spo may already be doing that). If gave the Lakers and the Bull a lot of match-up advantages and helped them enormously. And this was also one of the reason the Cavs didnt win: no size in the back court on defence!

So hopefully in the offseason, for the Heat, they can pick up some size in the back court, and if they are lucky talked a guy like Billups in to taking the vet min so they can have a third guy to bring up the ball off the bench or in case of injury. Because the rotation they have now isnt deep enough, or big enough at the C to make a legit push to a title, though they may prove me wrong. any team with guys like Wade and LBJ (and bosh and miller) has the potential to win any game they are in. Though over a 7game seires I think their weaknesses will be exposed.

LBJ at PG? sure, but he is doing great running plays from the F position.

Jewelz0376
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Chalmers is ok on D, Bibby is bad. So against the C's and Bulls, you'll see a lot of Wade or Lebron guarding Rondo and Rose.

I actually think Chalmers is better than ok...I think he's a pretty good defender..He's got great hands on D...He might gamble a little too much, but you could probably say that about most pg's that have quick hands...

Lolwut?
04-03-2011, 12:09 AM
That's against SFs & SGs, not as physical. PF is constantly posting & boxing out and there actually his size or bigger, that takes a lot out of you & I've just heard he doesn't enjoy that role, nothing wrong with that. Similar to Bosh not liking the center position

I'm not saying he can't, but he wont but you never know he can develop a post game like a big man, who knows?

i know he doesn't like the post but he can take a hit in a fast break if he see's some one like z-bo he's going straight into his body.

LayZbone
04-03-2011, 12:10 AM
I actually think Chalmers is better than ok...I think he's a pretty good defender..He's got great hands on D...He might gamble a little too much, but you could probably say that about most pg's that have quick hands...

He's a good weak-side help defender, good at picking pockets and creating plays with his defense. But his man-on-man D is suspect. He lacks the lateral quickness to stay in front of the elite PGs, so his go to move ends up being trying to sell the contact when they do that little push off with their off-ball arm.

justinnum1
04-03-2011, 12:12 AM

He's pesky and is disruptive which creates turnovers, but he also fouls a ton and his man D is average. But he his our best small defender other than wade.

M.Bibby2.0
04-03-2011, 12:18 AM
I actually think he should be running point guard on a big lineup for MIA that would cause serious nightmare match-ups. When the team got together i figured since they paid Miller 5 mill the line up would be Lebron wade miller bosh Z. I think it would force smaller PGs off the floor because they cant guard any one in that lineup effectively. I expect this strategy to be employed play offs, it just makes sense.. to me anyways, anyone see it differently?

CHANGO
04-03-2011, 12:25 AM

He played the 5, against the Blazers(Marcus Camby) while Bosh was defending LaMarcus. Played that position in the final minutes of the 4th quarter, and the entire overtime. And the results were excellent.

One thing is for sure, he plays, the 1, 3, 4 positions in all of the games, PF is the least he plays.

Lake_Show2416
04-03-2011, 12:26 AM
i know he doesn't like the post but he can take a hit in a fast break if he see's some one like z-bo he's going straight into his body.

So Lebron is on a fast break & some how Z-bo gets in front of him :laugh2:

ya obviously he will but how bout half court offense/defense, its a lot harder when everything isn't spread out & ur constantly banging battling body to body with big man

........& when it comes to the playoffs its basically all half court offense/defense

sep11ie
04-03-2011, 12:38 AM
LeBron can slam a revolving door, LeBron can lead a horse to water AND make it drink, LeBron can have his cake and eat it too, when LeBron gets drunk he doesn't throw up, he throws down, God said let there be light, LeBron said "say please", when LeBron looks in the mirror it shatters, cuz even glass knows not to get between to LeBrons.

Lolwut?
04-03-2011, 12:39 AM
So Lebron is on a fast break & some how Z-bo gets in front of him :laugh2:

ya obviously he will but how bout half court offense/defense, its a lot harder when everything isn't spread out & ur constantly banging battling body to body with big man

........& when it comes to the playoffs its basically all half court offense/defense

its hypothetical no need to nit pick !

if your trying to say lebron is soft and can't bang im gonna have to disagree. obviously he's not gonna bang with shaq or anything but he's just as strong as many pf's and centers.

nickdymez
04-03-2011, 12:50 AM
He played the 5, against the Blazers(Marcus Camby) while Bosh was defending LaMarcus. Played that position in the final minutes of the 4th quarter, and the entire overtime. And the results were excellent.

One thing is for sure, he plays, the 1, 3, 4 positions in all of the games, PF is the least he plays.

I beg spolstra to put him on Gasol

LayZbone
04-03-2011, 01:19 AM

Doesn't have to. Bosh has owned Gasol this year ;)

mttwlsn16
04-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Inspired by the Rose thread.

LeBron's best skill is his passing. That team doesn't have much aside from it's stars. I know he gets his assists, but what if he got more, and to players who need more passes than Wade who doesn't need him to score?

They're chemistry might be better. They're winning, and it's their first season together, but regardless, still not blowing out many teams.

they are chemistry might be better?
doesnt many any sense...

mttwlsn16
04-03-2011, 01:27 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

posh spice will never come close to gasol's talent

mttwlsn16
04-03-2011, 01:29 AM

so from whay u said he played center for 6 or 7 minutes in this game
u telling me LBJ would be an excellend 5?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

NetsPaint
04-03-2011, 01:35 AM
u telling me LBJ would be an excellend 5?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Lake_Show2416
04-03-2011, 02:02 AM
its hypothetical no need to nit pick !

if your trying to say lebron is soft and can't bang im gonna have to disagree. obviously he's not gonna bang with shaq or anything but he's just as strong as many pf's and centers.

ya i know i just try to put that image in my head bout Z-Bo & it was funny

but no no no, I'm not saying Lebron is soft, he just doesn't want to take the hits in the paint every single play, like a 4 & 5 do. Its a lot more wear on the body, he like playing from the perimeter & creating from there

I just think it would help a lot if he tried to be more of a PF at times

LayZbone
04-03-2011, 02:37 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

posh spice will never come close to gasol's talent

I never said he was a better player, just that he has owned Gasoft (since we're now resorting to played-out name calling) in their 2 matchups this year, which is true.

footballer2369
04-03-2011, 02:42 AM

That's funny... He has this season...

He plays the 1 for extended stretches (Le-Wade-Miller-Bosh-Dampier) and he played the 5 against Toronto against Bargnani (and probably a few other times but this is the one game I caught...)

Jewelz0376
04-03-2011, 03:06 AM

He plays the 1 for extended stretches (Le-Wade-Miller-Bosh-Dampier) and he played the 5 against Toronto against Bargnani (and probably a few other times but this is the one game I caught...)

And the Mavs have run a lineup of Kidd, Barea, and Terry...that doesn't mean you'd say Kidd can play 1-3

THE MTL
04-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Lebron James could easily play PG if he wanted to. He has the speed, vision, ball handling, and creativity of a PG.

However, passing is NOT HIS BEST SKILL! Its a HUGGGEEEEE PLUS to his game and makes him one of the best ever! However, the PG's primary role is to pass and Lebron's best skill is his scoring thru penetration. You cannot have Lebron James focused on setting up his teammates as opposed to getting "his".

Avenged
04-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Yeah, I completely disregarded the teams who don't actually have a true big man. I mean playing the 5 against Bargnani? It's like he's playing the SF/PF position.

nickdymez
04-03-2011, 12:48 PM

This is why i dont like heat fans

Hawkeye15
04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
LBJ is basically a point forward. But asking him to guard the waterbugs in the NBA that play PG would be insane.

footballer2369
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
LBJ is basically a point forward. But asking him to guard the waterbugs in the NBA that play PG would be insane.

He and Wade already switch off playing the elite PGs in the NBA on defense at the end of close games.

LayZbone
04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
This is why i dont like heat fans

why? because I pointed out a fact that paints a picture of one of your players in a negative light? Please....all you do is bash the Heat, get over it. Dude, Bosh outperformed Gasol in their 2 matchups this year. Period.

24ppg 11rpg 62% fg

18.5ppg 6.5rpg 48% fg

It's a small sample size, and I'm not suggesting that Bosh could lock down Gasol on defense, but Pau can't do anything on the other end to shut down Bosh either. It really depends on what game they show up with. If Bosh plays passive and shoots nothing but Js, Gasol would win the matchup easily. If Bosh plays aggressive, we have a marquee matchup all of the sudden.

nickdymez
04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
lol@ heat fans always complaining about how i "bash" the heat by pointing out facts and bringing them back down to earth.

You used the word "owned" Gasol? What does that mean because looking at the box scores i didnt see anyone get "owned".... He outplayed him, but didnt own him.. Come off your unearned pedestal please

nickdymez
04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
And look around man, everyone on this site bashes the heat... Its easy because them and their fans are so cocky and no one really understands why

CHANGO
04-03-2011, 02:33 PM

I'm not saying anything. I am answering the question to Avenged.

He played against Camby, 8 minutes. Camby measures, 6-11. And the results were excellent. Am I saying that could be excellent playing center? No. But yes, he has played several times and went well. Against most teams he can play PF, the only ones that would give problems would be Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Garnett, Boozer (maybe) Blake Griffin, and Amare.

Maybe against Gasol does not go well, but against Odom yes. :p

0nekhmer
04-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Lebron could play 1-5. i hate it when i get guarded by him, you HAVE to shoot it over him, cant get to the rim. when you try to post him up as a 5 you'll get stripped.

Sandman
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Ideally maybe you could have him at PG, but they really don't have the personnel and LeBron's other biggest asset (other than passing) is that he can play any position.

gilly
04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
i can see this. I pitched this idea to a friend actually like a month ago. Some teams, might have to go without a PG, just to attempt to guard Lebron, D-wade at the 2, Miller at 3 Bosh at 4 and Z at 5.

The Lakers should do this.