PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan; coach of the year?

JasonJohnHorn
04-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Jerry Sloan has never won a coach of the year, and very likely has coached his last game (though I would like to see him come back next season).

The Jazz were 31 and 23 with Sloan, and are now 5-17 without him! Of course, they were also withough D-Will for most of those games as well.

I am not saying that Sloan should win, but it would be nice to see him win, and there is an arguement to be made in his favour (though it is a little thin).

I think Adleman is most deserving for THIS season, but there are a number of deserving coaches. Sloan however, does deserve at least one, and this may be his last chance.

Would anybody vote for Sloan this year besides me?

Sly Guy
04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
if he were to win it this year, I wouldn't argue as he's been deserving for a long time [not this year, however], but it would smack of sentimentality and would take away from the legitimacy of the award.

ManRam
04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I honestly wouldn't, but it's a shame he never won one. Giving it to him this year would just continue to ruin any legitimacy the award still has left. It would be awarding it for as unfair reasons as ever before.

It's another one of those awards that doesn't ever reward people for being consistently good/great, or really just giving it to the best coaches period. His career was too steady and consistent, and voters look for good stories and the risers and fallers. Hell, Phil has only won one, and he's arguably the greatest coach ever. He had to take a team to 72 wins to get his.

His long, stable, relatively uncontroversial and consistent tenure with one team just made it impossible to win an award like this. Again, it's kind of a shame. But most of the NBA awards are set up in a way where a guy like him can go an entire career without winning one.

Lolwut?
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
tom thibeadou is going to win and it isn't even close.

Avenged
04-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Life time achievement award? No way.

sep11ie
04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Ummm, pretty sure you have to be a coach to win COY...

tredigs
04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Vote for Sloan? What? Is this some posthumous Oscar? Of course he shouldn't win the Coach of the Year.

Even in that type of scenario, let's be real - the guy has never even won a ship. I realize that that is far from all his fault, and that he is indeed a great coach (and far lesser coaches win it all the time - I'm looking at you Scott Brooks...), but no. He obviously should not win it, and I GUARANTEE he would not want it this year.

yoseppii12
04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
dumb thread. maybe deserved one before but that doesnt mean he gets one now? What about Pops, Thibs, Collins, etc. Will these guys will get paid out (win COY) in the future? What is this award some kind of ponzi scheme?

Shkelqim
04-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Collins deserves some serious recognition. I know what The Bulls are doing is great but Collins has given life to the Sixers fans. This guy is a ****ing genius, I love the way he coaches. But Thib probably will win it.

IamKaiserSoze
04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
it is a shame he hasn't won one before. but this year? no. for one, he is unemployed. two, others are just more deserving. collins, pops, thibs.

but he is a hall of fame coach, with or without a COY award.

Hawkeye15
04-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I honestly wouldn't, but it's a shame he never won one. Giving it to him this year would just continue to ruin any legitimacy the award still has left. It would be awarding it for as unfair reasons as ever before.

It's another one of those awards that doesn't ever reward people for being consistently good/great, or really just giving it to the best coaches period. His career was too steady and consistent, and voters look for good stories and the risers and fallers. Hell, Phil has only won one, and he's arguably the greatest coach ever. He had to take a team to 72 wins to get his.

His long, stable, relatively uncontroversial and consistent tenure with one team just made it impossible to win an award like this. Again, it's kind of a shame. But most of the NBA awards are set up in a way where a guy like him can go an entire career without winning one.

pretty much nailed it.

king4day
04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
It would be an embarrassment to the league if he won this year. He didn't deserve it when he left and there's too many worthy candidates to just give him one because he had a nice coaching career.

king4day
04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
It would be an embarrassment to the league if he won this year. He didn't deserve it when he left and there's too many worthy candidates to just give him one because he had a nice coaching career.