PDA

View Full Version : Chris Webber Calls Out the Mavs Post-Laker Game: "SOFT"

Storch
04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Here is the video of C-Webb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEp5VKiTC0&feature=player_embedded

He's turning into a really good analyst that says it like it is, most of the time.

I don't know about his whole idea of fining players that don't back up their teammates, but I see his point. Players should back up their teammates and pull them out of the situation instead of just watching from far away (when your on the court).

In addition: Matt Barnes was suspended for 1 game without pay.

RowanJournalist
04-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Dallas is pretty soft. Dirk is an unbelievable talent, but I've always thought he's soft. Teams usually follow their leader.

gatkins11
04-02-2011, 01:39 AM
He's got a point.

DodgerBulls
04-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Ever since the brawl at The Palace, players has been very cautious due to what might happen to their career. Also, the fact that the playoffs is around the corner, they will not want to be in an incident where they will be suspended for a long time.

shep33
04-02-2011, 01:45 AM
lol "Peja definitely not gonna do nothing"

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Dallas is pretty soft. Dirk is an unbelievable talent, but I've always thought he's soft. Teams usually follow their leader.

I was talking about that very thing with a friend earlier today. A team's identity usually comes from the top dog. In my opinion the Mavs are very much a mirror of Dirk. Extremely talented and lethal from range, but you wonder if he/they will ever seal the deal when it comes to a championship. It's mindboggling and probably frustrating for Mavs fans.

On the other hand, I've noticed that the Lakers have become more of a reflection of Kobe. For all of his finesse and skill, Kobe has a gritty, deliberately venomous quality about him. He's not just a closer or a "killer" as the folks in NBA circles often say, he's both the Karate Kid AND the unrelenting Cobra Kai sensei telling his troops to sweep the opponent's leg and "Finish him!" it makes for an interestingly edgy dynamic for this Lakers squad.

Iron24th
04-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Yep that's what I thought too,particulary dallas,at least Barnes did something and L.O was around,but Barea and Dirk were like afraid little girls.

Storch
04-02-2011, 02:01 AM

:laugh:

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2011, 02:02 AM
lol "peja definitely not gonna do nothing"

:)

RowanJournalist
04-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I was talking about that very thing with a friend earlier today. A team's identity usually comes from the top dog. In my opinion the Mavs are very much a mirror of Dirk. Extremely talented and lethal from range, but you wonder if he/they will ever seal the deal when it comes to a championship. It's mindboggling and probably frustrating for Mavs fans.

On the other hand, I've noticed that the Lakers have become more of a reflection of Kobe. For all of his finesse and skill, Kobe has a gritty, deliberately venomous quality about him. He's not just a closer or a "killer" as the folks in NBA circles often say, he's both the Karate Kid AND the unrelenting Cobra Kai sensei telling his troops to sweep the opponent's leg and "Finish him!" it makes for an interestingly edgy dynamic for this Lakers squad.

Yeah, man. Not taking away anything from his talent; he's one of the greatest Europeans in the history of the NBA, but he's very weich. (German for soft)

Sadds The Gr8
04-02-2011, 02:04 AM

lol owned his former teammate

Sixerlover
04-02-2011, 02:06 AM
:clap:

C-Webb top 5 NBA analyst already?

shep33
04-02-2011, 02:12 AM

I like him, he speaks the truth even when he says stuff against our team, he's usually right. I mean he points out what everybody is thinking but doesn't want to say (in comparison to most analysts).

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Ever since the brawl at The Palace, players has been very cautious due to what might happen to their career. Also, the fact that the playoffs is around the corner, they will not want to be in an incident where they will be suspended for a long time.

I could see all of the superstars thinking that very thing...but you have to weigh that against their history, and unfortunately the Mavs history is telling. I don't think they would have behaved any differently had it been the first game of the season. Dirk just probably looked at it as not being a big deal and there's no point in getting involved in shenanigans.

But clearly Phil Jackson had the proper measure of it. He both chastised Barnes' thought processes while commending his "valor" for sticking up for a teammate in the same sentence. From ESPN:

"He definitely is going to have to check that stuff at the door when it comes to playoffs. You don't want to play short-handed in the playoffs. The third party in [an altercation] is not a way to step things in the right direction. They're going to get you almost every single time," said Lakers coach Phil Jackson Friday. "[But] the valor about standing up for a teammate that's been fouled in a way that's not part of our game, we admire that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6281850

I think the Mavs have to develop that same sense of balance if they're ever going to shake that "soft" perception.

RowanJournalist
04-02-2011, 02:21 AM

I'm still upset with him and his stint in Philly. It's hard for me to give him credit, but he deserves it.