PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams was almost a Knick If not for Melo deal?

D Roses Bulls
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
If this has been posted, than close. Saw this at the bottom of the page. If this is true, Personally, I think it would of worked out better for the knicks in the end if they had dealt for Deron instead of Melo.

The Utah Jazz had a possible deal in place to send guard Deron Williams(notes) to the New York Knicks in a multi-player trade if the Carmelo Anthony(notes) deal didn’t go through, a source told Yahoo! Sports. After Anthony was dealt to New York, Williams was traded from Utah to the Nets on Feb. 24

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtlotXZiLax4RHtScYtQPLy8vLYF?slug=mc-oden_injury_return_sam_bowie_blazers040111

COOLbeans
04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
who cares..

dhopisthename
04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
It would make a lot more sense for the Knicks but as a jazz fan I prefer the nets package

D Roses Bulls
04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
who cares..

cool beans

THE MTL
04-01-2011, 07:38 PM
So FAKE, Donnie Walsh is quoted by saying he didnt even know he was available. NO ONE knew Deron Williams was available

Amare1
04-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Probably...Deron and Amare would compliment each other nicely

D Roses Bulls
So FAKE, Donnie Walsh is quoted by saying he didnt even know he was available. NO ONE knew Deron Williams was available

well yahoo isn't ESPN, and I heard that too, but it could be true. could be walsh was tryna cover his own tracks knowing NJ stole the show.

More-Than-Most
It would have been better for the knicks if they had got williams instead of melo

COOLbeans
cool beans

my point exactly. you got it. :rolleyes:

godolphins
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
It depends on the possible package they would of traded for Williams

THE MTL
04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
well yahoo isn't ESPN, and I heard that too, but it could be true. could be walsh was tryna cover his own tracks knowing NJ stole the show.

Well, now that I read the article more carefully. It says that Utah had a possible package to NYC for Deron Williams. I believe that Utah wanted to trade Deron all along and was waiting to give him up to the loser of the Melo sweepstakes for a similar package in the possible Melo deals.

So if the Knicks lost out on Melo, then we probi would have ended up Deron Williams for a similar package.

But Utah was shady about the whole thing. And my Knicks (along with the whole league) had no clue he was available.

Crackadalic
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
If we would have gotten him we still would have given them the same package since we didnt have the lottery picks the nets had.

smith&wesson
04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I think deron williams will sign with the knicks after this season anyways.

idrinkpepsi
04-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Except he isn't a free agent.

Bucsfan
04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
i prefer the nets package personally

Chill_Will_24
04-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Yea... he already made a ton of money. Im sure he wouldnt mind signing with them somwhere in the 9-10mil range...

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Everything Happends for a reason ,and I'm glad how everything turned out.

I love Melo ,plus we would have a chance at CP3

But Amare would of benifited better With Deron Williams it's no question.

And it would of been an easier transition ,but I'm happy with Melo on the Knicks and the city is too.

ragee
04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't believe it... I believe the Nets were not really that interested in Melo and I have a theory that the Nuggets and the Nets worked together to rip the Knicks off... I think the Nets have sights on Deron right from that start... So I do believe the Jazz, the Nuggets and the Nets already know Melo was headed to NY... They were all just waiting for it to happen...

RowanJournalist
04-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm sure he was plan B.

netsgiantsyanks
04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
didnt walsh say that he was kicking himself for not thinking about deron williams?? i call BS

PatsSoxKnicks
04-01-2011, 08:27 PM
As a Knicks fan, I would've preferred Deron but nobody knew he was going to be traded. If Donnie did know though and he made the Melo deal instead, he's really not very smart. However, if the Knicks are somehow able to get CP3 (which would obviously be very difficult and would require lots of luck), then I'm fine with this deal as obviously I'd prefer CP3 over Deron.

Also, not sure if I believe that Donnie knew Deron was available. I'm thinking he didn't know. Or he did know and Dolan, the moronic owner of the century, went ahead and did the Melo deal anyways. Never underestimate the power of a dumb*** owner I guess.

Slimsim
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Utah dead *** really wanted Deron gone.

D-Will4Prez
04-01-2011, 09:08 PM
^ Yea they did. His whole Me attitude was really pissing our front office off, not to mention Sloan...The trade was revenge for Deron (indirectly) pushing Sloan out the door. Also I don't think Jazz FO wanted our rookie head coach to have to deal with Deron's attitude. Also the fact that Deron only signed a 3-year extension last time seemed like clear evidence that he wanted bolt.

The Knicks would be better off had they traded for Deron but I like the Nets package waay more than anything the Knicks could've given us.

hgtiger32
04-01-2011, 09:28 PM
i prefer the nets package personally

april fools?:eyebrow:

Knickfansince97
04-01-2011, 09:35 PM
because we didnt need a point guard we needed a decent center. we already had raymond felton and he was decent

NYK_kidd77
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
The knick fans would have been pissed off finding out that he couldn't even play this year with his injury.

I'm happy with Melo.

oak2455
04-01-2011, 10:12 PM

stole what show he's bolting after his deal with the Nets:D

Punk
04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah, so the Knicks would deal their young players for a Point Guard with a wrist injury which will probably keep him out this season.

Do you all even think when you post or does it just have to be anything Anti-Melo?

Secondly, The Knicks still can sign Deron Williams in 2012. Depends on if he stays with NJ.

Thirdly, The Knicks made the right choice. If we traded for an injured Point Guard then everyone would make threads that we should have traded for Melo right?

BigCityofDreams
04-01-2011, 11:03 PM
stole what show he's bolting after his deal with the Nets:D

They will probably deal him at the deadline before he walks.

BklynKnicks3
04-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Melo over dwill anyday of the week. Melo is the only player in the nba that can outplay lebron in a playoff series. Besides Kobe and maybe Durant later on

LOOTERX9
04-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Did not want Deron Williams. We would have been pheonix suns east with no shot at a title and still no defense. Plus top PG's don't win titles in the NBA. Ya need top wing players and a big man. PG's are not as important as people make them out to be, especially for winning championships

blahblahyoutoo
04-01-2011, 11:18 PM
It would have been better for the knicks if they had got williams instead of melo

so true.

Ripper Gein
04-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Melo over dwill anyday of the week. Melo is the only player in the nba that can outplay lebron in a playoff series. Besides Kobe and maybe Durant later on

April fool's

Slimsim
04-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Depends Utah seem desperate to get rid of Deron so they obviously know soemthing we don't.

Deron wasn't a superstar you heard about wanting to form a big three So he might not even had sign the extension with us even with amare.

Slimsim
04-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Besides why did this get turn into a poll. it's obvious this thread will turn ugly with a lot of melo Bashing

oak2455
04-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Besides why did this get turn into a poll. it's obvious this thread will turn ugly with a lot of melo Bashing

Its amazing how the people who start these threads and then run.....usually recruits which is the norm.....just a baiting thread:eyebrow:

Punk
04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Goes to show how uninformed fans of the NBA are. Go watch a basketball game and learn.

You do not win a damn title with a PG as your 1st option. If the Knicks face Miami in the first round with Deron (injured wrist) and Amare (already showing fatigue) and you trade away Gallinari, Felton and Chandler for Deron. Who the hell guards Wade and James?

There is a reason why Carmelo dominates LeBron and other Forwards in the NBA. He is a major game changer for ANY team.

If Utah couldn't win 40 games with Deron and Al Jefferson (the most underrated big man in the NBA) then tell me how would he make the Knicks a legit contender? He's gonna grab rebounds since Amare can't?

The Knicks got back Anthony Carter (best PG defender for us), Sheldon Williams (best big man) and Balkman (provided energy in certain games). We got more than just Carmelo Anthony.

Goes to show how ******** the Melo Knick haters are. They don't even think straight. Tells me they just hate the fact he's on the Knicks to be quite honest.

RowanJournalist
04-02-2011, 01:13 AM
He wouldn't have been very game-changing this year. Next, maybe. He went 2-8 tonight against Philly's D. Kid's got a bright future ahead of him, though.

Evolution23
04-02-2011, 03:30 AM
We got Mr Big Shot and Melo.. Im more than satisfied with our deal. Plus I know another PG thats coming off the books in 2012. I think you all know who im talking about! Marbury! lol

Evolution23
04-02-2011, 03:32 AM
Goes to show how uninformed fans of the NBA are. Go watch a basketball game and learn.

You do not win a damn title with a PG as your 1st option. If the Knicks face Miami in the first round with Deron (injured wrist) and Amare (already showing fatigue) and you trade away Gallinari, Felton and Chandler for Deron. Who the hell guards Wade and James?

There is a reason why Carmelo dominates LeBron and other Forwards in the NBA. He is a major game changer for ANY team.

If Utah couldn't win 40 games with Deron and Al Jefferson (the most underrated big man in the NBA) then tell me how would he make the Knicks a legit contender? He's gonna grab rebounds since Amare can't?

The Knicks got back Anthony Carter (best PG defender for us), Sheldon Williams (best big man) and Balkman (provided energy in certain games). We got more than just Carmelo Anthony.

Goes to show how ******** the Melo Knick haters are. They don't even think straight. Tells me they just hate the fact he's on the Knicks to be quite honest.

yea people don't realize the Melo deal is for the future. the knicks ain't winning a title this year, we all know that. But with cap space knicks can get a good big man and some solid role players to surround our BIG 3.

NetsPaint
04-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Both teams did fantastic. Both have cap and flexibility. Both (although the Nets won't be in the Playoffs this season) are quickly on the rise as long as Williams signs an extension which I think is likely.

RowanJournalist
04-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Regardless, Anthony and Williams are going to do well wherever they go. As for their team; that obviously depends on the circumstance.

jimbobjarree
04-02-2011, 04:13 AM
******** thread. Jazz gm said he never made any contact with the Knicks. He waited, then contacted the Nets afterwards with an offer that didnt include Deron. Nets hit back with an offer including Deron, and the Jazz accepted the next day.

Our gm said he would have seriously considered that package from the Knicks, but never actually contacted them about it. Yahoo talking ********, which is not like them, more of an espn thing to do.

Kashmir13579
04-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Thats a bummer.

Anilyzer
04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Friedrich Wiess

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM

:laugh2:

But the answer to OP's question is YES, much better.

Missing56&33
04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
If this has been posted, than close. Saw this at the bottom of the page. If this is true, Personally, I think it would of worked out better for the knicks in the end if they had dealt for Deron instead of Melo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtlotXZiLax4RHtScYtQPLy8vLYF?slug=mc-oden_injury_return_sam_bowie_blazers040111

it worked out just fine. Toney Douglas and Chauncey Billups will be enough to send Rose home early.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
it worked out just fine. Toney Douglas and Chauncey Billups will be enough to send Rose home early.

two of the biggest chuckers in the league.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Reporter Sam Amick (was a beat writer for the Sac Kings and a national writer at AOL NBA Fanhouse) goes into detail on how the Deron to the Nets negotiations went if anyone wants the whole story. Great reporting by him.

As O’Connor told Walsh approximately an hour before the game and would later repeat in an interview with NBA Confidential, he targeted the Nets’ and Knicks’ assets and decided to play the waiting game. Somebody would lose in the Anthony sweepstakes, and that team would immediately hear from O’Connor to discuss a marvelous Plan B.

New Jersey played that role in the end, jumping at the chance to give the Jazz the same package they’d presented to the Nuggets in order to land Williams after Anthony went to New York and signed a three-year, $65 million extension.
O’Connor said other teams had inquired about the All-Star point guard in the days leading up to the deal, but not the Knicks or the Nets. New Jersey general manager Billy King said the possibility was first raised after Anthony was traded.

“(O’Connor) called me just to say sorry about (not getting) Melo,” King said by phone on Wednesday. “We talked about that, and he made another proposal not including Deron. I countered with something including Deron. He said, let me think about it, then he countered another way, then said, ‘let me talk to the owner and let’s talk in the morning.’ He calls in the morning and says, ‘we’ve got a deal.’”

While Walsh is certainly thrilled to land Anthony, he admitted the notion of landing Wililams would have been appealing had he known he was on the market. Asked if things might have turned out differently if he was privy to that information, Walsh said with a shrug when asked by NBA Confidential, “it might have.”

Source: NBA Confidential (http://nbaconfidential.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/dissecting-the-deal-how-deron-williams-could-have-gone-to-new-york-instead-of-new-jersey/)

Basically Donny Walsh didn't know Deron Williams was on the market till after the Melo deal was done. The Jazz targeted the Nets pieces for the Melo deal early on (they really like Derrick Favors) and decided to talk trade with whoever lost the Melo sweepstakes. Hence the Deron to the Nets.

Punk
04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
two of the biggest chuckers in the league.

Who cares? Toney dropped 30 against Rose.