PDA

View Full Version : Jackson, Bryant snubbed again?

Idontcare
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
It may not be today.

It may not be tomorrow.

It may not be next week or even next year.

But one day the media is going to have to answer for its sins.

One day we're going to have to explain how Phil Jackson, arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game, has only one coach of the year award to his name, and his top current player, Kobe Bryant, the best player of his generation, has one regular-season MVP trophy.

Just one I tell you.

If there ever was a sports example of taking life for granted, this would be it. If there ever was a sports example of no good deed going unpunished, this egregious oversight would also fit.

LeBron James may be willing to cede the hardware to Derrick Rose -- and don't get me wrong, watching Rose bloom into a superstar has been wonderful -- but even that would be a mistake. James tops the league in player efficiency and Rose is not even in the top 10 (OK, he's 11th). But stats aside, Rose also benefits from not only James' narrative being soiled by his defection to Miami, but also that the Kobe narrative is the same old story.

Bryant is doing work -- again.

Yaaaaawn. What else you got?

Yes, the Bulls point guard has carried his team as it battled injuries to key players (Joakim Noah, Carlos Boozer). But the Lakers have also had injuries this year (Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Matt Barnes), and that doesn't get talked about as much. It doesn't get talked about as much because for the past decade we have grown so accustomed to Kobe's exploits, we take him for granted.

Or we nitpick at his legacy with hollow criticism such as he's had All-Star teammates or a great coach -- as if Magic Johnson (three MVPs), Michael Jordan (five) and Larry Bird (three) didn't have Hall of Fame teammates or great coaches. True, he's having a down year compared to himself, but compared to the league? Please son. And I'm not even a Kobe fan. But I do know for the past decade, when the game's on the line, he's been the most feared player on the planet.

The only omission more glaring than the lack of MVP trophies in Kobe's case is the lack of coach of the year awards in Jackson's. At least Bryant's been recognized this century. Jackson's only award came in 1996. Here is a man with the highest winning percentage of any Hall of Fame coach, a man who has managed locker rooms with two of the most eccentric players in history (Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest) and yet somehow, he has gone 15 years without another end-of-the-year award.

Except for championships, of course.

Yes, decades from now, at some sort of futuristic barbershop where they cut hair using laser guns, NBA fans will be floating on their pods trying to figure out how Bill Fitch, a man who won only 46 percent of the games he coached, ended up with twice as many COY awards as Jackson. At the sports bar of the future, where we'll be able to order our drinks using telepathy, basketball historians will fry their cortexes trying to understand how Don Nelson, a man who has never coached a single Finals game, owns three times as many COY awards as Jackson.

If you love the game the way I do, you don't see how any of this is right. Heck, if you love the idea of logic, you don't see how it's right.

Put it this way: at the conclusion of the 2002-03 season with a 50-32 record and having won the previous three championships, Jackson finished 14th in the COY voting, just one point ahead of Pacers coach Isiah Thomas. This year Tom Thibodeau, George Karl and Gregg Popovich are mentioned, but it's Jackson who is favored to win a title for the third consecutive time (and if it happens, it would be the fourth three-peat of his career). How a man can repeat as champion on seven separate occasions and be considered the top coach only once is beyond me. Yes, it's a regular-season award, but Jackson has never had a losing season and is the only man to have coached two of the 10 greatest teams of all time.

Like Bryant, Jackson is being punished because in this culture our appreciation of things that are hard to get is much greater than our appreciation of things we already have. We want something new and shiny and we want it often, so we heap all of the accolades on Rose and this year's COY front-runner, Thibodeau, because they are doing something unexpected -- not great, just unexpected. Meanwhile Kobe and Jackson are afterthoughts because, well, of course the Lakers have won 16 of 17 games.

They're the Lakers.

What else you got?

And that's the problem with assumptions of success. If blending talented players together was easy, Mike D'Antoni and Erik Spoelstra wouldn't be updating their résumés. Boston's Red Auerbach was similarly dissed, garnering one COY award despite all of his success. But at least the trophy's named after him. It seems Jackson only gets shout outs by talking heads and in columns like this one. I guess it's partially his fault. Jackson makes it look so easy, we lose sight of just how hard it is.

Just as Bryant's continual brilliance has desensitized us to Bryant's continual brilliance.

I get it, dude rubs people the wrong way. He used to take ill-advised shots. He's been accused of tanking games to make a point. He's had legal trouble. He ratted out Shaq. He tried to be a studio gangsta. Trust me, I get it all. But he's not being considered for Miss Congeniality. And neither is Jackson, who comes across as arrogant at times and pretends he doesn't like drama but is not above starting and picking fights as he did with Bryant earlier this year.

However, if predictions hold true to form, come summer the two will not only make it to their eighth Finals in 11 years together, but also hoist their sixth trophy. Bryant would tie Jordan in that department, revitalizing the comparisons, and Jackson would sail off into the sunset as the greatest coach in the game's history -- but its best only once, the year Kobe was drafted.

Who knew back then the two would go on to be bonded by years of winning together? Who knew the media would go on to punish them for doing so?

LZ Granderson is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a regular contributor to ESPN.com. He can be reached at lzgranderson@yahoo.com.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=6280773

Jewelz0376
04-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Coach of the year is pretty much an award for teams that overachieve... Jackson, Popp, and Sloan are probably 3 of the greatest coaches in the last 20 years...but everyone always expects their teams to win so they never do

As far as Kobe only having 1 mvp...its not really that big a deal now...but I'm sure 10 or 20 years after he retired people will see that and think he wasn't as great as some of the other players that have multiple (same with Shaq)... Although Kobe might only have 1 mvp to his name he might easily finish his career with 6 or 7 titles along with 3 or 4 finals mvps

gilly
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
The MVP is decided before the playoffs. The playoffs is where players like Kobe and coaches like Phil know how to win, it's what they focus on instead of the regular season.

Purple&Gold24
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Jackson has his Rings to prove how great he was. He DGAF about coach of the year award, in my opinion coach of the year is the one who wins it all.

Kobe should at least have 2 mvps, but he probably wont get it. But again His legend will always be remembered just like mike.

Anilyzer
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
*wheeeee* Coach of the Year!

It's like the "Dad of the Year" award or something. And MVP is like a vote to decide who gets their picture on the Wheaties box.

*wow*. Doesn't mean ****.

Anilyzer
04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
It's like, "hey, I got the Boxer of the Year Award", and then Mike Tyson knocks you out in 90 seconds.

*wheeeeeeee*

Anilyzer
04-01-2011, 06:12 PM
And then you win Boxer of the Year again next year.

*wheeeeeee*

haggis
04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I'll take Championships too.

This is nothing new here.

godolphins
04-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree Kobe should have more than one MVP

Teeboy1487
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
They let their rings complete their legacies. They don't need those media bias awards. People remember rings. MVPs are good but without a ring, it lessens the award. MVP and coach of the year are regular season awards. The ultimate awards are championships and that's what matters the most.

GREATNESS ONE
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Fantastic Read and Well said ! It's a shame we take them for granted, One of the greatest player and coach of our generation.

E.O.21
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Kobe was robbed in 05-06 and I hate Kobe

GREATNESS ONE
04-01-2011, 06:22 PM
They let their rings complete their legacies. They don't need those media bias awards. People remember rings. MVPs are good but without a ring, it lessens the award. MVP and coach of the year are regular season awards. The ultimate awards are championships and that's what matters the most.

:clap: I agree 100% brother ! It is pretty sad tho how these men have been unappreciated in our time. We Love them here in Laker land that's for sure and will always appreciate the Legends they are :clap:

footballer2369
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
There has been a better player in the league nearly every season of Kobe's career. First it was Shaq, then Kobe held the mantle for a couple years, and then Lebron took it away.

That's why he has one MVP. There's no conspiracy.

Purple&Gold24
04-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Props for admitting it.

gbrl
04-01-2011, 06:25 PM

lakers had the sixth best record in the west, you have to be on one of the topteams to win the award

stejay
04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
You really think that the media disses Kobe? Tell SLAM magazine and ESPN that..........

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Just goes to show not always the best players win MVP nor do the best coaches win COTY. It's really sad but it's reality.

Which is why some of these awards are losing merit. Oh well...

Bruno
04-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I know Bulls fans won't like this. But I don't think the award is as locked up as half the media is making it out to be. Dwight and Bryant are still very much so in the race. LBJ, Wade, and Durant all have arguments as well. To be honest Dirk deserves more recognition as well but we all know he'll never get another one.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
It's ALWAYS Kobe Bryant and someone else for the MVP EVERY YEAR since the early 2000's. (2003). KObe's been going head to head with just about every player. One thing that changes is his opponent, the thing that doesn't change? Is that Kobe stays on top. Nothing new. The media can give whoever the MVP while Kobe is stackin up championship rings for his toes.

heatking
04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
GreAt thread. Its called the MVP, not the MIP. drose just isnt on the class of howard, kobe, lebron as mvp contenders.

Probably the weakest mvp EVER if rose gets it.

Bruno
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
It's ALWAYS Kobe Bryant and someone else for the MVP EVERY YEAR since the early 2000's. (2003). KObe's been going head to head with just about every player. One thing that changes is his opponent, the thing that doesn't change? Is that Kobe stays on top. Nothing new. The media can give whoever the MVP while Kobe is stackin up championship rings for his toes.

Bryant and Shaq are the only one time regular season MVP award winner who are also top ten in MVP award shares. All-time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mvp_shares_career.html

Bruno
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
GreAt thread. Its called the MVP, not the MIP. drose just isnt on the class of howard, kobe, lebron as mvp contenders.

Probably the weakest mvp EVER if rose gets it.

If the Bulls finish with the best record then I think you gotta give it to him. His best teammates dealt with injuries all season long, and nobody expected the Bulls to be top 3 in the east.

If they don't I think the award is wide open; I don't like how the media declared a winner with 20 games left either. And honestly I think that might back-fire on Rose. Which isn't fair.

D-Will4Prez
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Jerry Sloan never won coach of the year and you're *****ing that Phil Jackson only has 1? :facepalm:

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Phil Jackson> Jerry Sloan.

210Don
04-01-2011, 07:40 PM
who cares smh..

THE MTL
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Kobe was robbed in 05-06! He was the MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER for a team that year. He was responsible for so much that year. The Lakers were a top 3 lottery team if Bryant didnt do what he did.

However, ppl made it up to Kobe when he finally won it. Cause honestly, Chris Paul was NBA MVP. His team was only 1.0 game out of 1st place in the West and CP3 did it with 50% of the talent Kobe had in LAL.

Phil Jackson is overrated and I'll always say that. U had Jordan-Pippen, Kobe-Shaq, Kobe-Gasol-stacked LAL team. He has TOO MANY GREAT players not to win. I wanna see Phil Jackson coach a regular NBA team and see how good he actually does.

tr4shb0t
04-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Championships and COY/MVP don't coincide too often. At least not in the modern-era basketball. That's why they don't mean much anymore. COY and MVP have mainly been to spread the love so other teams can have something to be happy about.

C-Style
04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Phil Jackson is overrated and I'll always say that. U had Jordan-Pippen, Kobe-Shaq, Kobe-Gasol-stacked LAL team. He has TOO MANY GREAT players not to win. I wanna see Phil Jackson coach a regular NBA team and see how good he actually does.

He already did... and nearly beat the #2 seed.

C-Style
04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
man if Rose wins the MVP...that Award would be a joke. And trust me I'm not hating on Rose 1 bit...It's the media...I'm trippin on, they could have made a legit case for 3 other players...but didn't.

Anilyzer
04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
MVP and COY are like the Heisman... the teams and publicists have to be lobbying for it all year to get a chance. Kobe and Phil and the Lakers don't really care about it, they have larger concerns on their minds.

Kevj77
04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I think Phil really gets underrated because of the talent he has had. Some of his best coaching jobs came in years he posted his lower winning percentages. He managed to win 55 games and make a run at the ECF the year Jordan retired. Of course, the supporting cast MJ had was a lot better than most people ever give it credit for. The year he came back to the Lakers for the second time, even though he had Kobe was a 10-15 win team without Kobe and was a lottery team the year before with Kobe under Rudy T.

He gets the most out of his teams, when they are expected to win it all they usually do and when they aren't they overachieve.

KingPosey
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
It may not be today.

It may not be tomorrow.

One day we're going to have to explain how Phil Jackson, arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game, has only one coach of the year award to his name, and his top current player, Kobe Bryant, the best player of his generation, has one regular-season MVP trophy.

Just one I tell you.

If there ever was a sports example of taking life for granted, this would be it. If there ever was a sports example of no good deed going unpunished, this egregious oversight would also fit.

LeBron James may be willing to cede the hardware to Derrick Rose -- and don't get me wrong, watching Rose bloom into a superstar has been wonderful -- but even that would be a mistake. James tops the league in player efficiency and Rose is not even in the top 10 (OK, he's 11th). But stats aside, Rose also benefits from not only James' narrative being soiled by his defection to Miami, but also that the Kobe narrative is the same old story.

Yes, the Bulls point guard has carried his team as it battled injuries to key players (Joakim Noah, Carlos Boozer). But the Lakers have also had injuries this year (Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Matt Barnes), and that doesn't get talked about as much. It doesn't get talked about as much because for the past decade we have grown so accustomed to Kobe's exploits, we take him for granted.

Or we nitpick at his legacy with hollow criticism such as he's had All-Star teammates or a great coach -- as if Magic Johnson (three MVPs), Michael Jordan (five) and Larry Bird (three) didn't have Hall of Fame teammates or great coaches. True, he's having a down year compared to himself, but compared to the league? Please son. And I'm not even a Kobe fan. But I do know for the past decade, when the game's on the line, he's been the most feared player on the planet.

The only omission more glaring than the lack of MVP trophies in Kobe's case is the lack of coach of the year awards in Jackson's. At least Bryant's been recognized this century. Jackson's only award came in 1996. Here is a man with the highest winning percentage of any Hall of Fame coach, a man who has managed locker rooms with two of the most eccentric players in history (Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest) and yet somehow, he has gone 15 years without another end-of-the-year award.

Yes, decades from now, at some sort of futuristic barbershop where they cut hair using laser guns, NBA fans will be floating on their pods trying to figure out how Bill Fitch, a man who won only 46 percent of the games he coached, ended up with twice as many COY awards as Jackson. At the sports bar of the future, where we'll be able to order our drinks using telepathy, basketball historians will fry their cortexes trying to understand how Don Nelson, a man who has never coached a single Finals game, owns three times as many COY awards as Jackson.

If you love the game the way I do, you don't see how any of this is right. Heck, if you love the idea of logic, you don't see how it's right.

Put it this way: at the conclusion of the 2002-03 season with a 50-32 record and having won the previous three championships, Jackson finished 14th in the COY voting, just one point ahead of Pacers coach Isiah Thomas. This year Tom Thibodeau, George Karl and Gregg Popovich are mentioned, but it's Jackson who is favored to win a title for the third consecutive time (and if it happens, it would be the fourth three-peat of his career). How a man can repeat as champion on seven separate occasions and be considered the top coach only once is beyond me. Yes, it's a regular-season award, but Jackson has never had a losing season and is the only man to have coached two of the 10 greatest teams of all time.

Like Bryant, Jackson is being punished because in this culture our appreciation of things that are hard to get is much greater than our appreciation of things we already have. We want something new and shiny and we want it often, so we heap all of the accolades on Rose and this year's COY front-runner, Thibodeau, because they are doing something unexpected -- not great, just unexpected. Meanwhile Kobe and Jackson are afterthoughts because, well, of course the Lakers have won 16 of 17 games.

They're the Lakers.

What else you got?

And that's the problem with assumptions of success. If blending talented players together was easy, Mike D'Antoni and Erik Spoelstra wouldn't be updating their résumés. Boston's Red Auerbach was similarly dissed, garnering one COY award despite all of his success. But at least the trophy's named after him. It seems Jackson only gets shout outs by talking heads and in columns like this one. I guess it's partially his fault. Jackson makes it look so easy, we lose sight of just how hard it is.

Just as Bryant's continual brilliance has desensitized us to Bryant's continual brilliance.

I get it, dude rubs people the wrong way. He used to take ill-advised shots. He's been accused of tanking games to make a point. He's had legal trouble. He ratted out Shaq. He tried to be a studio gangsta. Trust me, I get it all. But he's not being considered for Miss Congeniality. And neither is Jackson, who comes across as arrogant at times and pretends he doesn't like drama but is not above starting and picking fights as he did with Bryant earlier this year.

However, if predictions hold true to form, come summer the two will not only make it to their eighth Finals in 11 years together, but also hoist their sixth trophy. Bryant would tie Jordan in that department, revitalizing the comparisons, and Jackson would sail off into the sunset as the greatest coach in the game's history -- but its best only once, the year Kobe was drafted.

Who knew back then the two would go on to be bonded by years of winning together? Who knew the media would go on to punish them for doing so?

LZ Granderson is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a regular contributor to ESPN.com. He can be reached at lzgranderson@yahoo.com.

Disagree. Look at the teams he has WON with. A good coach should win with those teams.

AIRMAR72
04-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Disagree. Look at the teams he has WON with. A good coach should win with those teams.

i agree but the MASS on here really dont know anything about THE NBA BASKETBALL you guys act as if stern and his crew DONT know what they doing they knew phil had the top guys at there position on his teams thats why he only have 1 coach of the year award they knew kobe was playing on a stud TEAM and never turnout to be face of THE league like they hyped em up in kobe early days because iverson,carter,duncan,MCGRADY and nash made there own MARK in the league without HYPE they came in and TOOK IT and guys like tracy and iverson ALWAYS OUT PLAY KOBE..(NOW ITS WADE AND BRON AND OTHERS OUT PLAYING KOBE) kobe NEVER dominated the league like iverson did or BRON or won with old tired ALMOST finish players like wade DID who is next for MVP thats IS why KOBE only have one MVP that belong to chris paul or BRON they were the better players the yr kobe got it..NOW EAT IT

NBAfan4life
04-02-2011, 12:11 AM
i agree but the MASS on here really dont know anything about THE NBA BASKETBALL you guys act as if stern and his crew DONT know what they doing they knew phil had the top guys at there position on his teams thats why he only have 1 coach of the year award they knew kobe was playing on a stud TEAM and never turnout to be face of THE league like they hyped em up in kobe early days because iverson,carter,duncan,MCGRADY and nash made there own MARK in the league without HYPE they came in and TOOK IT and guys like tracy and iverson ALWAYS OUT PLAY KOBE..(NOW ITS WADE AND BRON AND OTHERS OUT PLAYING KOBE) kobe NEVER dominated the league like iverson did or BRON or won with old tired ALMOST finish players like wade DID who is next for MVP thats IS why KOBE only have one MVP that belong to chris paul or BRON they were the better players the yr kobe got it..NOW EAT IT

Stay in school, or go back please. Maybe skip a game or two and read a book.

Fnom11
04-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Phil's team has a knack for underachieving in the mid-season. Joke thread is joke.

Idontcare
04-02-2011, 12:32 AM

For the little time I've been here I can already tell no one takes u seriously... Kobe in his prime murders all of them no doubt about it

M.Bibby2.0
04-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Phil Jackson has been blessed to have some of the greatest players of all time on his teams, and currently has the second most expensive roster in the league. => achieving where he should be, nothing phenomenal here.
Kobe also has had the most help, and during his prime he either wasnt the best player on the team (shaq) or didn't have his team playing well enough (after shaq left, before gasol arrived). MVP and COY are regular season awards, and since the shaq days i don't even think the Lakers have had the best record in the NBA (i could be wrong, not willing to look it up). & Finally they're both a little overrated, Kobe was rated best player of the decade (a stupid analysis because that decade encompassed most of his prime and career, more about the timing of where a player is in his career) but he isn't the best player in the NBA. For those who will respond with "look at how many rings!" i remind you, he's only been the number one option for 2 titles, and has had 90 million dollar rosters to do it. There championships and success are expected... nothing phenomenal. I acknowledge that both are great, but they're not overachieving given their circumstances and that's why the lack of rewards.

NetsPaint
04-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Rick Adelman could have won it last year, but the team didn't make the Playoffs.

Him taking that team to over .500 is way more impressive than a team with Durant and Westbrook imo.

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2011, 01:14 AM
It may not be today.

It may not be tomorrow.

Just one I tell you.

They're the Lakers.

What else you got?

I. Couldn't. Agree. More. :clap:

Ty Fast
04-02-2011, 01:26 AM
the mvp is a joke. shaq should have about 5 mvps and mj should have about 10

RaiderLakersA's
04-02-2011, 01:32 AM
I agree that the focus should be on winning championships.

In fact, they should just eliminate regular season voting for COY and MVP and limit eligibility for those awards to the coaches and players that participate in the NBA Finals. Problem solved.

Subsequently, the NBA should then create second tier awards, e.g., "Most Revered Coach of the Year" or "Honored Player of the Year" and have the media select those designates from the pool of all teams based on their performance during the regular season. These lesser awards, of course, would only be announced AFTER the conclusion of the NBA Finals.

J4KOP99
04-02-2011, 02:22 AM
The fact that Shaq only has 1 MVP is enough to completely discredit the award.

NetsPaint
04-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Playoffs MVP

bolts4ever
04-02-2011, 02:48 AM
starting lineup 05-06 Lakers

PG)SMUSH PARKER!!
SG) Kobe
SF) LUKE WALTON
PF) Lamar odom(underachieving)
C) KWAME BROWN!!!!

Not even lebron EVER had a worse team than this and LA came within 1 rebound of eliminating the #1 seeded Suns in the playoffs.

Anilyzer
04-02-2011, 02:51 AM

I'm a Laker fan, but I do think there is some truth to this post. Players like Iverson, Duncan and Nash did, in fact, have dominating seasons that ultimately couldn't be denied.

In Kobe's defense, he was always on well coached teams with championship aspirations... and working on blending his game with the team dynamic and so on and so forth.

Maybe Phil kind of holds Kobe back in some ways... because Phil knows how to go after Titles -- he's a big game hunter, or a marlin fisher, that goes into the deep ocean to bring back a real trophy; but other fishers catch 100s of tunas closer in to shore so they get the "MVP" or whatever, but Phil was always trying to meld Kobe into part of a dynasty team

jbeezy
04-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Jerry Sloan never won coach of the year and you're *****ing that Phil Jackson only has 1? :facepalm:

How many rings does Sloan have?

JasonJohnHorn
04-02-2011, 05:57 AM
The MVP award is as much about timing and team as it is about personal stats. You can average 35+ on a losing team, and you are going to have a hard time winning an MVP award, because the logic would be: This team is in the lottery. Where would they be without their start player? In the lottery? So how valuable is he? When the team would be in the same standing with or without a start player, chancesare, no matter how impressive his stats are, he's not going to win the MVP award.

All the guys who have won the MVP award, have deserved it.

As for coach of the year, meh. Most guys who win it get fired inside two seasons, so I'm sure Jackson would rather take eleven rings and one coach or the year over several coach of the years and a bunch of firings.

Lets face it, Jackson has, save when he came back to LA, always had a great team, or at least a good one. When he came back to LA he showed what he could do with limited talent on the roster, and I was impressed. So from 06/07/08, I think Jackson was as or more deserving than anybody. But the guys who have won have generally always deserved it. The problem is there are usually several guys who deserve it, just like there are usually about 15-20 who deserve an allstar spot in their conference, but there are only 12 spots.

Citizen Kane lost the best picture award, but bottom line is its greatness will always be recognized, and the movie it lost to is know by very few and enjoyed by even fewer.

I'm sure Kobe and Phil are happy with the hardware they got.

MTar786
04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
in the real world shaq would have won mvp in 99, 2001, 2002 and 05 (whenever nash won it the first time) which would leave him with 5 mvps including 00

kobe should have won in 03, 06 including his 08 one. which would have him at 3 now

phil should have been coach of the year in 00 and in 09 with his 96. which would have him at 3

but the nba mvp n accolades are trash, finals mvp and rings are all that have meaning now. mvp is like th wwf heavyweight title now.

Drose will not only be the weakest mvp of all time.. but also completely taint the name of MVP if it already isnt

quade36
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
MVP does not equal best player. If that were the case Bird and Magic would have never won. Statistically there were better players. Jackson is considered the greatest coach. I have no idea what this guy is talking about saying people don't consider him that. Its kind of a silly argument.

quade36
04-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Drose will not only be the weakest mvp of all time.. but also completely taint the name of MVP if it already isnt

:D:D:D:facepalm::D:D:D

taint the name of MVP..... HAhahahahahahaah

Not sure you understand there is a difference between MVP and best player in the league. Second, without Rose the Bulls aren't even a .500 team. Much like the Lakers would have been in 05-06 when Don Kobe should have won the MVP.

If you want to know what would taint the MVP award :) Lebron James in the running for MVP when he isn't even the key player to his own team this year.

magichatnumber9
04-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Seriously these season awards are stupid. That championship is the only thing that matters.

The Final Boss
04-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Lol at the clowns who say he's been the 2nd best player in the L during his tenure. He's the best of our generation by far. Kobe would have demolished the league during the early Jordan era where half the league was Caucasian with limited athleticism.

sep11ie
04-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Just buy them coffee mugs that say it on them.

sunsfan88
04-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Its because the Lakers never play well for a full season.

Its always the 2nd half and playofs which is good because thats why they have so many titles.

But for Kobe to win MVP, the Lakers have play good during all of the season not just half. And Bryant wasnt doin too hot himself in the 1st half of the season either.

madvillian9
04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Lol at the clowns who say he's been the 2nd best player in the L during his tenure. He's the best of our generation by far. Kobe would have demolished the league during the early Jordan era where half the league was Caucasian with limited athleticism.

this is the dumbest **** ive ever read.

M.Bibby2.0
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Most insightful and intelligent post I've ever read :clap:
:rolleyes:

E.O.21
04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
lakers had the sixth best record in the west, you have to be on one of the topteams to win the award

Is that a fact? Because I didnt know that. You also have to look deeper into that. I believe the Lakers finished 45-37 that year with a very very very bad team

E.O.21
04-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Wow... Quit life

Geargo Wallace
04-02-2011, 04:06 PM
How many rings does Sloan have?

He coached in Mormonville USA.....

Geargo Wallace
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM

I'd write something constructive about how dumb this post is but I'm too hungover.

Hawkeye15
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
has nobody learned that voters shy away from consistency? Phil and Kobe win 58 games, yawwwwwwwwn.

The MVP is the sexy choice half the time, sometimes they get it right, and the COY is ALWAYS about the story. The fact that Pops, Phil, and Sloan have between them, 2 COY awards over the past 25 years, should tell you all you need to know about how legit that award can be many times.

I am not in agreement with many that Kobe should have more than 1 MVP. I thought there was one season where he was the best player in the NBA, with a strong team behind him. Kobe's greatness doesn't come from his peak, but instead it comes from the longevity of his extremely strong prime. I thought there were individual players every year but one, that were better than Kobe, and had good teams. But Kobe's ability to hang onto that top 3 player status for 13 years is more amazing to me personally, then someone like McGrady having a higher peak.

Phil will be snubbed again. But honestly, his roster should win 50+ games every single year. The Bulls are overachieving big time, and Thibs is the reason. As for the MVP, Dwight should get it imo, but Rose is the media darling at the moment, and is part of a great storyline with the Bulls, and when you factor in the disdain for LeBron still over the decision, and his removal from the MVP race because of it, it leaves a battle between Rose and Kobe. And the media always goes for the flashy new toy.

Hawkeye15
04-02-2011, 04:18 PM

quick question- how old are you?