PDA

View Full Version : Does the MVP system need to be altered in any way?

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/04/01/race-to-the-mvp-week-23/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

The scariest part of the polarization -- forget about bruised feelings or even the negative arguments made against outstanding players -- is the danger that some voters might "game" the MVP voting system. Remember, this isn't a simple either/or process like most political elections. This is a ballot with five slots for names, and a point system in which all five players add -- or not -- to their totals based on being picked second, third, fourth or fifth.

Might some of those with ballots, so passionate in their views, put that ahead of integrity? It is possible that some might not be content to just vote for the player they deem most deserving and then, in sporting fashion, rank the next four candidates who come close. Someone might attempt to cast, simultaneously, votes for their choices and votes against others.

Conside the 2006 MVP race, when Phoenix's Steve Nash won for second consecutive year. Kobe Bryant finished fourth that year even though only Nash (57) had more first-place votes. Bryant had 22, more than James' 16 or Dirk Nowitzki's 14, but they finished second and third by getting more votes for second, third or fourth. Bryant had 30 votes for fifth place, which dragged down his overall point total (the system counts first-place votes as 10 points, second as seven points, third five, fourth three and fifth just one point).

So a Howard backer who sticks James down at No. 5 -- or leaves him off his ballot entirely -- would be "gaming" this system.

It's an issue the NBA would rather not mess with and, in a year such as this one with six or seven solid candidates, it would be hard to prosecute anyway. League spokesman Tim Frank said Thursday: "We have a very qualified voting base and there are many different ways to define an MVP. Who are we to say someone is wrong for whomever they place their vote?"

The NBA has promised some transparency in the results this year, so that folks might be able to attach names to the ballots and connect any suspicious dots. It also would take a movement or conspiracy to completely "rob" someone of the award -- in 2006, Nash still wold have won handily if Bryant's fifth- and second-place vote totals had been flipped.

But with politics, or at least the climate of it, rearing its head in the MVP process, it's worth noting that two major candidates come from that haven of voting irregularity (Florida) and from the City of Big Smoke-Filled Backrooms (Chicago).

It kind of makes you think. I honestly don't know how the system could be changed but I think this is a problem if you ask me.

Lake_Show2416
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Not that i disagree with whose gonna win this year but ya it does need to change. They normally give the award to the bigger surprise, rather then the obvious best player simply cuz they are used to the performance level

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I wonder how it would be if Coaches/GM's/Owners voted. I think players would definately value the award a lot more. (Not that they don't already)

Lolwut?
04-01-2011, 02:51 PM
they should change it to the most likeable star award.

madvillian9
04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Not that i disagree with whose gonna win this year but ya it does need to change. They normally give the award to the bigger surprise, rather then the obvious best player simply cuz they are used to the performance level

Barkley and Malone should have never sniffed MVP awards in the 90's. The voters were just bored of giving it to goat.

ManRam
04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I think they need some criteria. Is there even criteria? I mean, is there even a definition of what the award is awarded for? Or is it really just the "Most Valuable Player"...and everything after that is just up for interpretation. I've never really found anything else out after that. Which is fine, but that just makes for such a broad award that changes from year to year based on whatever we want it to change on. Sometimes it goes to "the best player on the best team", sometimes it goes to "the guy who means most to his team", sometimes it does just go to the best player period and that's enough...sometimes it goes to someone for other reasons.

It can't just go to the best player, because that would be boring. But I'd like to see some more rhetoric and open discussion amongst the public and voters as to what exactly we're awarding the award to. I think often we just give it to someone for reasons we don't know, and often the reasons change from year to year.

Chill_Will_24
04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes, it should definitely be changed... Fans, as well all know from posting in PSD are very biased. DRose will win this year hands down but regardless of what CHI fans think he doesnt deserve it. Dwight Howard deserves the award and before some idiot comes in with their silly "ORL is only a 4th seed" argument consider this: Name me one player that would negatively impact his team more if he were out than Dwight. There is none. CHI is playing well because of their amazing coach and their elite defense first and foremost THEN because of Rose's great play. CHI can still win without him. Lakers can win without Kobe and in some instances play better without him. The Heat would struggle without Bron but only because their paying the big three so much that there woukld be no one to help Wade and Bosh. The only true comp to Dwight is Dirk imo but Dirk is not as important to his team as Dwight is to ORL.

The system is flawed just like the All Star voting system...

pacofunk64
04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Barkley and Malone should have never sniffed MVP awards in the 90's. The voters were just bored of giving it to goat.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Sad thing with Lebron is he goes out and posts almost 30-7-7 every single game. So he may have to do 30-10-10 to win it next year. Lebron has set his bar so high that even he has a hard time to reach it.

abe_froman
04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
wow,some are taking butt hurt to new levels.but what do you want to do? rose has more support among players and coaches than media so changing it to that would still net him the award,fans? outside of this forum if you look at average fan voting,yup he'd still win by a wide margin.

so i dont see a system in which he wouldnt get it,the current system was actually your best shot at getting your way surprisingly

BcEuAbRsS
04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
I think they need some criteria. Is there even criteria? I mean, is there even a definition of what the award is awarded for? Or is it really just the "Most Valuable Player"...and everything after that is just up for interpretation. I've never really found anything else out after that. Which is fine, but that just makes for such a broad award that changes from year to year based on whatever we want it to change on. Sometimes it goes to "the best player on the best team", sometimes it goes to "the guy who means most to his team", sometimes it does just go to the best player period and that's enough...sometimes it goes to someone for other reasons.

It can't just go to the best player, because that would be boring. But I'd like to see some more rhetoric and open discussion amongst the public and voters as to what exactly we're awarding the award to. I think often we just give it to someone for reasons we don't know, and often the reasons change from year to year.

They need to define it IMO also... but putting certain criteria down would make the voting process not possibe... Basic criteria that I see is: Player must be good; Team must be good...

Jewelz0376
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Exactly what I was going to say.

Sad thing with Lebron is he goes out and posts almost 30-7-7 every single game. So he may have to do 30-10-10 to win it next year. Lebron has set his bar so high that even he has a hard time to reach it.

Nah it's really simple..The Heat need to play better against the Elite teams... If the Heat had the best record in the east and/or have the Bulls record against the Elite teams LBJ would probably be frontrunner for mvp right now...even with the weaker numbers than he's putting up.... The mvp award is about winning first and foremost..I think that's obvious

godolphins
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree it should be changed

Baller1
04-01-2011, 04:25 PM
The whole "best player on the best team wins it" idea needs to leave. When you look at the broad spectrum of crowning a player "most valuable", they shouldn't be hindered by the players around them, something they have no control over. Dwight this year is the perfect example; why should he have to be personally harmed in the voting because his team cant pull their weight? It's dumb.

Jewelz0376
04-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Yea I remember that year Kobe lost mvp to Nash...it was obvious some of the voters just didn't want Kobe to win because they didn't like him...

I think they should just change it to one vote....The voter votes for 1 player, who he thinks is mvp and thats it..No putting down who's their 2nd,3rd, or 4th place finisher...

Crackadalic
04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
maybe the media shouldnt be chosen to pick who becomes mvp

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
The whole "best player on the best team wins it" idea needs to leave. When you look at the broad spectrum of crowning a player "most valuable", they shouldn't be hindered by the players around them, something they have no control over. Dwight this year is the perfect example; why should he have to be personally harmed in the voting because his team cant pull their weight? It's dumb.

agree

Heater4life
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
It needs structure. Right now their is none.

haggis
04-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Are you saying that winning does or does not matter?

Chronz
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
There is no place for anonymous ignorance in sports, make your vote public.

The points system seems arbitrary but you got to set a limit somewhere, how you weight the votes?

JasonJohnHorn
04-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I would like to see the award split up, one into MVP, an award for a player whose impact is the biggest, and whose team's success depends on him the most.

Another, like a MOP (Most outstanding player) going to the player who is considered the best, or had the best season personally.

Must like the DPOY award, I'd like to see it split up into a front court/back court. One for the guys on the perimiter, and one for the guys in the post. They are two completely different games and it isnt fair to throw the guys up against each other when the two can be compared.

And why not... a PGOTY award for the PGs. Like the MLB has for pictures.

FuriousJatt
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
i think all the players should vote for player related awards, and coaches should vote coach related awards, gms for gm awards and so on. the fans get to vote for all starts so the coaches, gms, and players should get to vote for tehir rewards.

FOR PLAYERS:
* cant vote for urself.
* can not submit more than 1 vote.
* can vote for a teammate.
* mvp's can only be selected from top 8 teams.

COACHES
* cannot vote for urself.
* coy can only be selected from any of the playoff teams.

GMs
* cannot vote urself
* can only be selected from any of the playoff teams.

bonus: sports casters, so called pundits can vote for the dumbest writer, the douchiest writer and best asskisser write awards.

i nomiate colin cowherd for his mancrush on lbj

magic0320
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
yeah media shouldn't really vote. I mean they don't even know how to play basketball XDXDXDXD

SteveNash
04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
MVP voting should take place after the playoffs. That would help a little bit and place more emphasis on quality wins.

Of course the NBA would never do this.

CB4AB7VC15
04-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Rose is and should be the MVP this year, but we all know he isn't the best player in the league. The NBA players association should have another award vote by every player in the league for the best player in the league.

Kobe
Lebron
Kd

heatking
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Guys like rose shouldnt be sniffing mvp contention.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I think they need to define it as well. It varies from best player on best team to the most valuable to who's team would do the worst without them and so on and so forth.

I think it just flat out needs to go to the BEST PLAYER. However they want to define that is up to them. Just give it to the best player.

ramsizzle
04-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Guys like rose shouldnt be sniffing mvp contention.

but someone on the heat or magic should ha...

Baller1
04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Are you saying that winning does or does not matter?

Of course winning matters, but winning happens as a team. Players' individuals shouldn't be seen differently because they're on an inferior team (now, of course the MVP shouldn't be from a team not even in the playoffs, but I think you get where I'm going).

kArSoN RyDaH
04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Or maybe they should just create another award. The BEST PLAYER award. Because essentially the best player might not always be the most valuable.

DO IT STERN! lmao

Supa
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Share the voting power with fans (30%), players/coaches (30%), in addition to the sport writers/broadcasters (40%), or simply 33.3% each.

More comprehensiveness and balance are needed in the MVP voting system.

---

IamKaiserSoze
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
i think the system is fine. perfect? maybe not. but the point system for being chosen first, second, third and so on is fair. there are discussions every year about why this guy won when someone thinks this guy should have won. not everyone will be pleased every year. and it is a good thing that there is discussion. i recall plenty of people *****ing when nash won. was he deserving? sure. were there more deserving? probably. the system is fine. and if it was tweaked...people would complain it should have been left alone in the first place. no one way to do things will keep everyone happy.

Bullsfan22
04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
yes it needs to be clearly defined

lakeshow3peat
04-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Needs to be changed like i think good and more deserving players in the NBA not being a star should really be considered . I mean If any player has a good season even if there team doesnt make it to the playoffs or gets beat in the playoffs should be in the discussion . Most Valuable Player right? Yeah every good player who had a good season or great should be up for votes . If it doesnt change then the NBA should call it The Star Award .

MickeyMgl
04-02-2011, 04:17 AM
The NBA has promised some transparency in the results this year, so that folks might be able to attach names to the ballots and connect any suspicious dots. It also would take a movement or conspiracy to completely "rob" someone of the award -- in 2006, Nash still wold have won handily if Bryant's fifth- and second-place vote totals had been flipped.

But add it to the 21 or so writers who inexplicably left him off their ballots altogether and you might have a different story.