PDA

View Full Version : Amare's Problem is NOT Fatigue, It's Chauncey!

NoLayupRule1451
04-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't know why no one is mentioning this on talk radio or in the forum. All I hear is how Stat is tired, he's worn down, it may be his knees...yadayadayada...

When the trade was first made, D'Antoni was asked, "How will you adjust to getting the ball to two stars?" His response was, "That will be on Chauncey. I trust his leadership and experience." Chauncey's response was, its a new system...a lot to learn but I've been doing this for a long time so I will go with what I know and rely on my knowledge of where Melo likes the ball.

Stat shoulda been worried here.:confused:

**I know the trade was for our future and will be better next year**

Stats Problem?:(

Chauncey doesn't know where Stat likes the ball. I have watched the Knicks closely especially since the trade...

Chauncey misses him on pick and rolls all the time and those equated to dunks in the first half of the season.

Slip and rolls and Amare is wide open.

When Chauncey gets the ball, he runs to the top of the key and floats to whatever side Carmelo is on...

Eventually, I noticed Amare's attitude start to shift to, "I already know where the ball is goin so I'ma float to the weak side...and be weak:mad:

Does anyone else agree? This will improve in the playoffs!

Bruno
04-01-2011, 07:36 AM
There needs to be more balance between Amare and Melo. The Knicks are doomed if only of them goes off. I agree that Felton was the difference; not that he's better than Billups, but you gotta be able to get your bigs the ball.

The Jokemaker
04-01-2011, 07:48 AM
He'll learn in time. Just one of thse things that'll have to get worked out. Maybe this season, more likely next season.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-01-2011, 08:06 AM
So maybe you thought that the same porblems plaguing the Heat wouldnt not be the same for the Knicks??? Fact is Melo is a chucker he demands the ball alot. Chauncey can be a chucker and is typically known as a score first PG. Stoudamire needs a lot of shots also. They need to worry about the defense because from what I can see scoring is not the problem...

tonydanza87
04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Interesting take, I agree it will take time but if your Chauncey and your gettin up there in age, you want to fight off the notion that your gettin washed up and you need your numbers where are you goin with the ball? Melo, comfort and experience together, easy as that.

JasonJohnHorn
04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I LOVE Billups. That's all i got to say about that.

TheDiggler
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I like Chauncey too. I feel bad for Fields. From a solid option before the Melo trade. He went down do be "just a roleplayer" to watch Stat-Melo-Billups not getting it done.

The Knicks need time to work together. But Chauncey is getting old. In retrospective, it would've been better Chanucey stayed in DEN and Felton in NY. Felton-Melo-Stat could work out a triangle for the future, while NOW it's just like nothing competitive. Also, they need a force inside.

So ...: I don't see Billups being THE problem. He won't be there long-term ... Problem is: The Knicks thought everything could stay the same when they add Melo and Billups for Wilson-Gallo-Felton. But as they see now: It needs MAJOR changes to make a team with Stat and Melo work. System changes. Coach changes. More roster changes. And by time they have to bring yet again, another PG into the team. That doesn't know playing with Mike D and/or Stat and/or Melo. The Knicks need time ! Lots of it. Not sure if it all works out ... Miami knows it's not done with just inking 3 stars. There is a lot of work to do.

benzni
04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Agreeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Double_R
04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
No it's not Chauncy...His problem is that his knees are starting to hurt because he is trying to rebound all of Melo's shots.

PrettyBoyJ
04-01-2011, 09:51 AM
It prob would have been the same scenario if it was Felton running the point. He knew where Amare liked the ball and would differ to Amare instead of Melo.. I say the rreal problem is Dantoni!

AIRMAR72
04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
it IS chauncey FAULT is not a natural PG anyways he was drafted as SG by boston back in the day moved around little in the league till he got with da PISTONS where he learn to play da position under coach larry brown system they(knicks) shouldve kept raymond felton(A pure natural PG)

Mile High Champ
04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
This is pretty much a topic just for Knicks fans, does it not belong in their forum?

The BodyGuard
04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree, Billups kinda screw things up. They should have neva traded Felton

mttwlsn16
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
No it's not Chauncy...His problem is that his knees are starting to hurt because he is trying to rebound all of Melo's shots.

key word here being trying
bc we all know hes pretty pathetic on the glass. not as bad as brook lopez, but hes bad

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
yea he clearly misses raymond felton ,so he's just forcing shots up, hopefully billups get chemistry with him FAST, Time is moving

blahblahyoutoo
04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
felton was a much better fit for the knickerbockers.

thekmp211
04-01-2011, 02:00 PM
i can see this. knicks offense hasn't looked crisp, even if they are putting up a lot of points. definitely noticed stats passiveness, and i wonder if it also has to do with his knees. hate to go there, has he looked explosive lately? i can't remember.

AddiX
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Amares problem is to many years being coached by mike d, and he has no idea how to adjust his game.

acehole
04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Billups is a complete douche..

Every single game, he keeps chuckin up 3s with a guy right in his face, 90% of the time it doesnt go in and I face palm myself every single time. "Mr Big Shot" tries to be the hero way too hard. He hasnt hit anything since that one in Miami.

With that being, I agree with OP. It took RayRay about 15 games to develop chemistry with Amare. Stat was getting atleast 3 to 4 easy dunks every game thanks to Ray. That opened up the rest of Stats game and actually motivated him to play defense.

Chauncey has had 10 plus games playing with Amare now and he still hasnt figured anything out. He doesnt get Amare the ball so stat just stands there. Obviously this is one of those guys whos not going to play defense if hes not getting the ball on offense. Billups has done a horrible job running this offense.

So yeah, Ray Ray > Mr. No Shot

AddiX
04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
When the hell did Felton ever have chemistry with amare?

Missing56&33
04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Amar'e first must learn how to rebound the basketball. He's use to the west coast open style of play and he's getting pounded on the glass here in the east. Rebound the ball, block shots.....you don't need nobody to help you there, that's all on you. Amar'e needs to get back the intensity he had early in the season......and hopefully that intensity will be there opening tip first round of the playoffs.

Billups and Melo are both playing fantastic basketball but we can't win without Amar'e being superhuman.

Chronz
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/knicks/2011-03-27-new-knicks-adapting_N.htm

With the Nuggets this season, Billups ran pick-and-rolls 20.3% of the time and was rated excellent in producing 0.981 points per pick-and-roll possession, according to Synergy Sports Technology, which tracks and analyzes every play of every game.
With the Knicks, Billups has run pick-and-rolls 36.2% of the time, nearly double his Denver possessions. But New York scores 0.699 points per pick-and-roll possession for an average rating.
Billups' scoring average with the Knicks (17.4) is a point higher than with Denver, but his shooting percentage is lower: 39.4% to 43.8%. Complicating the adjustment was a thigh bruise that sidelined him for six games.
"He was going really well, and there was a setback when he got hurt," D'Antoni said. "In one, two weeks, I think he'll be great."

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2011/3/22/2065056/chauncey-billups-struggles-to-attack-the-celtics-pick-and-roll-defense
The moment Billups is met with a hedge, he either picks up his dribble or simply dribbles in place and resets. He isn't turning the corner off these screens and driving through the lane which is what's most frustrating. Can he not push off his bad thigh at the moment? Or is this the PnR player he is? If he's going to limit his shot selection off screens to ill-advised threes, he's doing the defense a tremendous favor. He needs to find a way to get the defense to collapse on him to free up Amar'e's deadly roll.

Kashmir13579
04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Amar'e WANTED this and so did 'Melo so they damn well better figure it out.

Sync
04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I LOVE Billups. That's all i got to say about that.

knicks4life33
04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
chauncey cant run this offense and he needs to get amare included in the offense. Its like he only throws the ball to melo. I have yet to see chauncey throw a alley opp or nick n roll with amare yet

C-Wick925
04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Chaunceys really never played with an all inside big like amare it will just take time to adjust.. look how ****** the heat played the first 1/4th of the season

NYtilIdie
04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Billups is a complete douche..

Every single game, he keeps chuckin up 3s with a guy right in his face, 90% of the time it doesnt go in and I face palm myself every single time. "Mr Big Shot" tries to be the hero way too hard. He hasnt hit anything since that one in Miami.

With that being, I agree with OP. It took RayRay about 15 games to develop chemistry with Amare. Stat was getting atleast 3 to 4 easy dunks every game thanks to Ray. That opened up the rest of Stats game and actually motivated him to play defense.

Chauncey has had 10 plus games playing with Amare now and he still hasnt figured anything out. He doesnt get Amare the ball so stat just stands there. Obviously this is one of those guys whos not going to play defense if hes not getting the ball on offense. Billups has done a horrible job running this offense.

So yeah, Ray Ray > Mr. No Shot

Then "Ray Ray" came back down to earth and started doing everything you just described Chauncey of doing. Felton just chucked it away, didn't get anybody else not named Amare involved, just picked & popped with Amare all game. Everybody was brainwashed by that easy schedule we had in December and then when January hit and we played real competition, we were exposed along with Felton.

And think, you just compared Felton & Amare's chemistry with Chauncey's & Amare's chemistry. Felton had half a season + training camp to develop chemistry with Amare and guess what? When Felton was traded we were only 2 games above .500. Chauncey is forced to develop chemistry on the fly with Amare, in games and in the playoffs when they matter. Honestly they might not fully click until next season.

Chauncey is fully healed and he isn't Mr. Bigshot? Did you not watch the game on Wednesday? If it wasn't for him calling out the team and being the leader, we would've lost that game in a huge blowout. He was playing great prior to that injury, but now that its fully healed he'll be back to normal. Also he's done wonders for Douglass in his time here so far then Felton ever did.

He's helped Douglas understand how to run the offense better and be a facilatator when needed to be. When Felton was here all he learned how to do from him was chuck bad shots (which he still does)

Fact is, Amare was here first, yes, but he needs to lead by example if he wants to the be main guy.

He's gotten an efficient 20+ points the last two games, but failed to rebound and boxout which resulted in a horrible +/-. Melo is the one who came out the 2nd half on Wednesday playing defense, not Amare, Melo was in the paint grabbing rebounds, not Amare.

MinnesotaMagic
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
key word here being trying
bc we all know hes pretty pathetic on the glass. not as bad as brook lopez, but hes bad

Did I miss something where PG are supposed to be good at rebounding?