PDA

View Full Version : Can the Knicks win with Mike 'Antoni?

ilovemyangel
03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Does the Knicks have a chance to become a contender if Mike 'No D' Antoni stays on as their coach? IMHO they may become good but nobody will take them seriously until they get a real good coach like Jerry Sloan.

Now its kinda, get the ball to Carmelo Anthony and everyone get out of the way. Well it worked in Cleveland for Lebron but its obviously not working now for Melo and the Knicks. Still, the Knicks are pretty entertaining to watch.

Lakers4ItAll
04-01-2011, 12:04 AM
No

Swashcuff
04-01-2011, 12:20 AM
If the get Chris Paul and a bench in the morning maybe they can become the Suns of 04-08. But I don't think they'll be legit contenders under D'Antoni.

As far as winning a championship goes I'd say this

Don Nelson

1335-1063 regular season record, .557 winning percentage
0 NBA championships
0 NBA finals appearances
4 conference finals appearances

George Karl

1031-700 regular season record, .596 winning percentage
0 NBA championships
1 NBA finals appearances
4 conference finals appearances

Mike D'Antoni

365-313 regular season record, .538 winning percentage
0 NBA championships
0 NBA finals appearances
2 conference finals appearances

That system may win you tonnes of regular season games (D'Antoni's stint with the Knicks has killed his winning %) but come playoff time you aren't likely to be very successful.

Crackadalic
04-01-2011, 12:30 AM
No. A coach that is anemic to defense will never win it all. Cant wait for this guy to leave

PC
04-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Mike but I think it would do wonders if we got rid of his brother and actually hired an assistant that preaches defense. We don't have to be like the Bulls, Celtics, etc. but we also can't be in the bottom 3 defenses in the league either... Just something right in the middle of the pack should be enough with the offense we have for us to contend imo

GREATNESS ONE
04-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Mike D'Antoni is a hell of a coach and should always have a job somewhere in the league. He'll boost a lot of teams from mediocre to playoff contention. This current Knick team is not built for a D'Antoni up-tempo offense. They have two Big pieces in NY, they need a defenisive minded coach with a new PG in a pick and roll scheme with Melo and Amare. Jerry Sloan would be a ideal fit in my opinion but probably would never happen. You never know, giant market and plenty of money in the owners pockets. I can see this thing turning around quite quickly and expect Big things out of NY in the next 3-5 years.

beardown78
04-01-2011, 02:06 AM
No, he couldn't do it with A more talented Deeper Suns team, won't succeed in NYC.

Kashmir13579
04-01-2011, 03:47 AM
If the get Chris Paul and a bench in the morning maybe they can become the Suns of 04-08.

D'antoni's best and only chance at winning a chip. (IMHO)

I'm not a huge fan of Mike but I think it would do wonders if we got rid of his brother and actually hired an assistant that preaches defense. We don't have to be like the Bulls, Celtics, etc. but we also can't be in the bottom 3 defenses in the league either... Just something right in the middle of the pack should be enough with the offense we have for us to contend imo
that will never happen. :(

D Roses Bulls
04-01-2011, 03:51 AM
no they can not. if he didnt win with the stacked suns team, he is not going to win with the knicks unless they pick up lebron,rose, and wade which im sure mike d will find a way of screwing it up.

Kashmir13579
04-01-2011, 03:57 AM
no they can not. if he didnt win with the stacked suns team, he is not going to win with the knicks unless they pick up lebron,rose, and wade which im sure mike d will find a way of screwing it up.

hahhha. i don't support D'antoni at all. but even i think if he got Chris Paul with both 'Melo and Amar'e he would have a legit chance winning solely from offense.

unfortunately, this is the real world, and we just signed 'Melo to a max contract.

D Roses Bulls
04-01-2011, 04:04 AM
hahhha. i don't support D'antoni at all. but even i think if he got Chris Paul with both 'Melo and Amar'e he would have a legit chance winning solely from offense.

unfortunately, this is the real world, and we just signed 'Melo to a max contract.

yeah, i think the knicks (isaiah/doaln) screwed you guys. you should have just waited till the off season. had all these trade chips, signed melo out right and used those other guys in a trade or something. if you guys bring back thomas, i feel so sorry for you new yorkers.

abe_froman
04-01-2011, 04:07 AM
i dont think anyone can win with him,they're def gonna have to fire him before they get set to take their run

Kashmir13579
04-01-2011, 04:08 AM
yeah, i think the knicks (isaiah/doaln) screwed you guys. you should have just waited till the off season. had all these trade chips, signed melo out right and used those other guys in a trade or something. if you guys bring back thomas, i feel so sorry for you new yorkers.

I feel sorry for me too!!!! the messed up part is that everyone is hyping us up to be contenders and most fans really believe Amar'e and 'Melo are gonna be the REAL DEAL. i'm not as optimistic as i should be from just signing 2 "marquee" free agents.

GREATNESS ONE
04-01-2011, 04:12 AM
I might be wrong but I believe another BIG market franchise LA just signed a 150mill dollar contract with Timewarner. Making virtually the next 2 years roster paid, There's a lot of money in NY. We don't know what is going to happen this off season and anything can happen. 1 thing is for sure NYK fans should embrace actually having some Solid Stars and something to build toward.

Crackadalic
04-01-2011, 04:12 AM

The only problem is Melo told Donnie he wasnt risking all that money in the summer so the trade had to be made.

We just need a center, another big man(draft?) and a defensive coach.

We still have the option to not pick up billups option this summer so we can sign some good role players but its all up to Donnie

D Roses Bulls
04-01-2011, 04:21 AM
I feel sorry for me too!!!! the messed up part is that everyone is hyping us up to be contenders and most fans really believe Amar'e and 'Melo are gonna be the REAL DEAL. i'm not as optimistic as i should be from just signing 2 "marquee" free agents.

I wouldn't be optimistic either man. I really dont see unless something optimistic happens that you guys are contenders all a sudden. not hating, just my observation.

D Roses Bulls
04-01-2011, 04:24 AM
The only problem is Melo told Donnie he wasnt risking all that money in the summer so the trade had to be made.

We just need a center, another big man(draft?) and a defensive coach.

We still have the option to not pick up billups option this summer so we can sign some good role players but its all up to Donnie

well honestly, I dont think melo was worth it. being you guys had a solid team, i would of waited, signed cp3 or deron and than some nice roll players around them instead of melo. let amare be that main scoring option and i think you guys would of been better off. and i bet on everything you would of got cp3 or deron if you would of had the money and stuff even without having melo.

abe_froman
04-01-2011, 04:38 AM

i thought the team you guys had before was good and doing the trade was bad(argued us getting him)...not contenders,but they were young and so could have grown into one.i admit i'm not a big believer in melo(call me a hater of his or whatever) ,but for your shake and ny fanbase should hope i'm wrong

beardown78
04-01-2011, 04:56 AM
The Knicks will be fine once they get A real head coach in there to put in A system to get the most outta Melo and Amare and places An emphasis on defense. I'll do the trade 10 outta 10 times, the team before with Gallo, Felton and Chandler was going no where and now you'll be in the conversation for years with two legitimate stars. The Knicks are A good head coach and A few pieces away from contention IMO

Spurred1
04-01-2011, 04:59 AM
I don't think so. The Suns teams were always pretty stacked and if he couldn't win with them, it just doesn't seem like it would happen with the Knicks.

kingbrentg
04-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Personally, I don't think so. I'm not a big believer in the D'Antoni system at all.

I'll never say never though (ha). If he can get the proper assistants around him (a little more defensive commitment) and roster depth they could make a run at it.

JNA17
04-01-2011, 05:34 AM
He likes offense too much, and could care less about defense. That's why he got no rings.

Kashmir13579
04-01-2011, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't be optimistic either man. I really dont see unless something optimistic happens that you guys are contenders all a sudden. not hating, just my observation.
gee thanks.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-01-2011, 07:06 AM
no

ilovemyangel
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
And look at Nuggets' record after Melo left. it's crazy man

ilovemyangel
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
no

lol cool sig.

Meatmypet
04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Yes.

Team*Chicago
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM

That did made alot of sense, all that ofensive fire power he had in Pheonix that filled up his strenghts perfectly and only gotten t the Western Conference twice and lost everytime.

iHoop
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Mike D'Antoni is a hell of a coach and should always have a job somewhere in the league. He'll boost a lot of teams from mediocre to playoff contention. This current Knick team is not built for a D'Antoni up-tempo offense. They have two Big pieces in NY, they need a defenisive minded coach with a new PG in a pick and roll scheme with Melo and Amare. Jerry Sloan would be a ideal fit in my opinion but probably would never happen. You never know, giant market and plenty of money in the owners pockets. I can see this thing turning around quite quickly and expect Big things out of NY in the next 3-5 years.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. Couldn't of said this better myself.

danniboi168
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
nah mike sucks man

theheatles
04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
cha-nope!

PrettyBoyJ
04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Unless he finally realizes to teach some defense then the Knicks will never even see the finals print on the MSG floor..

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Don't feel bad for the New York Knicks we good.

the knicks have Stat and Melo to build around simple as that.

We would find good role players and eventually another star is what stat and melo thinking about. CP3 started this melo stat and i in NY thing. and he better complete it.

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1587375&SM=1

NY STAR POWER

king4day
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1587375&SM=1

NY STAR POWER

I love how he says they just need Paul and Howard and that'd be the final pieces to the puzzle... Ya think?
And who is that guy? Never heard of him before. Something tells me they'll need a bigger spokesman than Fabolous.

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I love how he says they just need Paul and Howard and that'd be the final pieces to the puzzle... Ya think?
And who is that guy? Never heard of him before. Something tells me they'll need a bigger spokesman than Fabolous.

NY got a whole lot of recruiters not name ''Stat AND Melo'' don't worry about NY we big as it is.

KnicksR4Real
04-01-2011, 01:07 PM
we aight, were tight

oak2455
04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow another Knicks thread:clap::clap::clap:

chin chukwu
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
uuumm....NO! can ANY team win with a coach who has a well known reputation for NOT preaching defense.

the question everyone should be asking is: HOW and WHY has mike d'antoni lasted this long in new york?

Bullsfan22
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
no..

John Walls Era
04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Not this year they can't. Who knows what happens next year (there will be a next year... because Dolan only wants Isiah to replace Mike).

FadeAwayLikeMJ
04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
trade Fields and Billups for Thibs

Mc Uncle Cola
04-01-2011, 01:48 PM
The KNICKS are The KNICKS!! They will never win a championship!!!!

allSUAVE
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Donald Trump said if Dwight howards want a championship his best Bet is playing for the knicks, teaming up With Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire !

I believe that too,we are better off with Dwight than going after CP3.

will upload the podcast as soon as it comes available.

mikealike305
04-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Its going to take more than a coaching change for that team to win a ring

ru55
04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Does the Knicks have a chance to become a contender if Mike 'No D' Antoni stays on as their coach? IMHO they may become good but nobody will take them seriously until they get a real good coach like Jerry Sloan.

Now its kinda, get the ball to Carmelo Anthony and everyone get out of the way. Well it worked in Cleveland for Lebron but its obviously not working now for Melo and the Knicks. Still, the Knicks are pretty entertaining to watch.

NO. players like playing for MD because he is "fun" to play for on the offensive end and he doesn't push hard for defense (which is the side that requires real work). His system is flawed. The Knicks need to fire him.

Purple&Gold24
04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
nope

ru55
04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
trade Fields and Billups for Thibs

not.

Missing56&33
04-01-2011, 02:26 PM

I hope we get Boston in the first round of the playoffs since you're so confident......I believe we can beat Boston. Would love to send them fishing.

ru55
04-01-2011, 02:27 PM
NO. players like playing for MD because he is "fun" to play for on the offensive end and he doesn't push hard for defense (which is the side that requires real work). His system is flawed. The Knicks need to fire him.

I take this back... they could win with him, if he would hire a highly defensive minded assistant coach and then let him actually coach..... then.... maybe

ru55
04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I hope we get Boston in the first round of the playoffs since you're so confident......I believe we can beat Boston. Would love to send them fishing.

Right. with what defense? and against their great defense? in a whole series? without homecourt adv? and the Knicks have won only 1/3rd of their games since the Melo trade. can't say I agree with you here. stats are pretty strong against you there.

millerandco
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
in the season...but in the playoffs no