PDA

View Full Version : Would ____ be allowed at his position today?

Tymathee
03-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Would Magic be allowed to play point or would they move him to SF or PF?
Would Barkley be allowed to play PF or would he be a SF?
Would Jerry West be a PG or SG?

Swashcuff
03-31-2011, 01:29 PM
They all play the same position they played in their respective times despite their size. If Beuboius is allowed to play SG why wouldn't West. If Chuck Hayes plays C why wouldn't Charles play the PF and if Shaun Livingston plays the point then why wouldn't Magic also play that position.

Its not so much about height you know. Its more based on skill set. You don't have a player with Magic's play-making ability and eye for the floor play the PF, you play him based on his strengths.

They all play there very same positions if you ask me.

stejay
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
They all play the same position they played in their respective times despite their size. If Beuboius is allowed to play SG why wouldn't West. If Chuck Hayes plays C why wouldn't Charles play the PF and if Shaun Livingston plays the point then why wouldn't Magic also play that position.

Its not so much about height you know. Its more based on skill set. You don't have a player with Magic's play-making ability and eye for the floor play the PF, you play him based on his strengths.

I agree,

LebronJamesWest
03-31-2011, 01:36 PM
the best way i could answer this question is by saying that positions are overrated, for example lebron plays at almost every position with the heat, he is technically a small forward, but plays defense at 4 or 5 sometimes, brings the ball up, so the technical name of the position is close to meaningless

mavwar53
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM

This, should have closed the thread after this post

bulldog312
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM
the best way i could answer this question is by saying that positions are overrated, for example lebron plays at almost every position with the heat, he is technically a small forward, but plays defense at 4 or 5 sometimes, brings the ball up, so the technical name of the position is close to meaningless

Exactly. Positions are just a simple way of classifying players but they aren't (and shouldn't be) static. Each team needs to fill certain roles and needs different players with different skill sets. If you have someone that is 6'9" and is great at distributing the ball and setting up other players and a 6'5" player that is great and pulling down rebounds and playing in the post, then so be it. As long as you can fill all the necessary roles it doesn't matter if players fit into a typical position.

n83417
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
What position was Rodman? And what position would he be?

If you look at his stats alone, you say he is obviously a C/PF. Then you look at his size and say he is obviously a SG/SF.

Once in a while you get a unique player, that their game does not match their size. You let those players do their thing, and help your team where their game is most valuable.

Magic is always known as a PG as far as I am concerned. Use his size to your advantage to create a mismatch.

Same with Barkley. He had the size of a SG/SF. But he was the best/second best PF in the game at his time. Take advantage of his game, and don't let his lack of height trick you into playing him out of position.

thekmp211
03-31-2011, 02:27 PM

x2

comparing eras is very difficult. i think i know what OP is getting at with bigger, more athletic players ect. but this is the point.

sep11ie
03-31-2011, 02:46 PM
They would all still be HOFers, so I'm sure they'd still play those positions based on the fact they are best at them.

Hawkeye15
03-31-2011, 03:21 PM

pretty much. Skillset is what defines players. Height can limit many, but some just defy the odds.

Crackadalic
03-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Theres no set position IMO anymore. Theres pg wingman and Bigman. Some can play 1-3 or 4-5 or all. It all depends on skillset then height nowadays

MickeyMgl
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM

"Allowed"?

I think West could still play shooting guard at 6'3", but would probably be better suited to PG.

With Magic's versatility, the only thing that would matter with regard to whether he was a G or F would be the personnel. He could play anything from 1 to 4, and could still play minutes at 5. If you had two talented smaller guys, you could move him to the front court. Regardless of the position, though, you'd still want the ball in his hands, so even in the front court, he'd likely play as a "point forward".

Barkley had some similar flexibility, except that he was - and still would be - a forward. But depending on whether his team's second-best forward was a wing or an interior guy, you could play Barkley at the other position.

Hellcrooner
03-31-2011, 04:39 PM

Barkley could ahppen i mean see chuck hayes,.

West i guess a SG.

Magic WOULD NOT be allowed to play PG they would try to use his skills as an "advantage" over other Power forwards.

Theres a 14 year old kid here in Spain Jonahtan Barreiro, he is 14 years old and 6,7 ( expected to grow to 6,9 or 6,10) he ha slearned to play at pg has good handles court vision and etc, his coaches are ALREADY forcing him to play at Sf and PF instead of trying to develop his game as a PG.

Thats why i think we will see other MJ ( kobe ) other Dirk ( Pau) other Shaq ( dwight) other Mchale ( Pau) all poor man versions of course, other whatever but we WONT see another Magic again,.

AntiG
03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Magic would probably play whichever position he wanted to. LeBron, Wade and Evans all played the point early in their careers. Especially given Magic's style of play he'd be at the point.

SteveNash
03-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Magic would probably be SF.
Barkley PF.
West SG.
Rodman would have to move to PF.

Plenty of college players switch positions, not much of a stretch to think past players would have to switch positions.

smith&wesson
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Would rodman be a 4 or a 3 ? i dont know i couldnt think of any one else.

JasonJohnHorn
03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Magic: Would play any position he wanted. Most people refer to him as a PG, but for the first nearly half of his career Norm Nixon was the starting PG for the Lakers and the two very effectively shared ball bandling duties, both ranking among the league leaders in assists. Today, any team that had a PF and C would not hesitate to play him at PG because he could defend his dribble against smaller players, and could post up on anybody and create huge mismatches. But even as a Laker he played multiple positions.

Barkley... would have a hard time in the league today. He relied heavily on his back-to-the-backer game, and he'd work his @$$ in there and take his time, but with only three seconds allowed to do that today, his offensive game would be greatly dimished, and though he had a decent jumper, I dont think his has the skill set required to play SF for long streches. He'd still be a great rebounder though.

Jerry West would still be a shooting guard. He would likely get stuck defending the PG on the opposing teams, and his team would need a taller PG to switch up on defence, but his skill set is very much geared to the SG position.

Swashcuff
03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Magic WOULD NOT be allowed to play PG they would try to use his skills as an "advantage" over other Power forwards.

Normally I would trust your opinion on anything Magic I would have to disagree with you on this one.

I think his role would be the same of his early days where he is the primary ball handler and play maker and defending the 2 for the most part with occasional assignments of the 3 and 4.

You don't play Magic at the 4 and make little use of his biggest asset. Sure he'd take advantage of some PFs but he won't in the same way he would of most PGs/SGs. In his earlier days he loved handling the ball and making plays more than anything, though he became a great off the ball player when he returned in the 90s.

Hellcrooner
03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Normally I would trust your opinion on anything Magic I would have to disagree with you on this one.

I think his role would be the same of his early days where he is the primary ball handler and play maker and defending the 2 for the most part with occasional assignments of the 3 and 4.

You don't play Magic at the 4 and make little use of his biggest asset. Sure he'd take advantage of some PFs but he won't in the same way he would of most PGs/SGs. In his earlier days he loved handling the ball and making plays more than anything, though he became a great off the ball player when he returned in the 90s.

waht i meant is magic if growing up now wouldnt be allowed by his formative coaches to play pg, they woud push him in the big man direction.

mttwlsn16
03-31-2011, 10:24 PM
"Allowed"?

I think West could still play shooting guard at 6'3", but would probably be better suited to PG.

eric gordon is 6'3 and plays SG, and can knock down 3s as well as get to the bucket

Swashcuff
03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
waht i meant is magic if growing up now wouldnt be allowed by his formative coaches to play pg, they woud push him in the big man direction.

O my apologies.

Wasn't that also the case when he was growing up? Where he was pushed in a big man direction?

Hellcrooner
03-31-2011, 10:40 PM
O my apologies.

Wasn't that also the case when he was growing up? Where he was pushed in a big man direction?

nah they only saw the advantages cause it was someting unseen and big men " did not need so much skills but strenght, tougness etc"

now days every big man shoots jumpers and 3 p shoots, pass the ball etcc.