PDA

View Full Version : Did the Knicks mess up their future?

Nikeman
03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
What do you guys think?

Reason I say this, is because:

Melo was a Knick in 2011-2012 regardless. He wanted NY all along. Denver got 3 legit starters in Felton, Chandler and Gallo. Those three pieces could have STAYED with the Knicks AND they would have Melo in 2011-2012.

Let's face it, they were not going to win a title this season with or without Melo, and they traded 3 trading chips that could have gotten them that third piece of the Big 3.

I am pretty sure, not 100% that NY cannot sign another max deal.

AddiX
03-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Awesome, more threads like this please!

Jonathan2323
03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
They enhanced their future. They weren't going anywhere with those group of players, let's see what they can get in the offseason. You always grab the stars when you can get them.

Ripper Gein
03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Holy Christ!!! MORE knick threads please they all seem so well thought out!

JerseysFinest
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Theres no way the Knicks "messed up" their future. You're good if you have two superstars on your team moving forward. Sure they're not winning it this year, but what if they learn to play more team basketball, hire a better defensive oriented coach, and acquire a big somehow? They'll be fine one way or another, we can sit around and say they made a mistake in trading Gallo, Chandler, Felton, blah blah all day, but in the end, they had to do it, and they'll be alright.

danniboi168
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
no.

acehole
03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
:facepalm:

Melo wanted NY but he wanted the money more so there's no guarantee he would've signed with us in the offseason.

In order to sign Melo, we woulda had to let Chandler walk anyway, he would probably ask for more than what the knicks could afford.

Ray was a two year rental but he was playing good for us, maybe we can bring him back, who knows.

Only player I really regret losing is Gallo, felt like he would've been a perfect compliment to Melo and Amare, Fields is struggling after the trade trying to adjust.

But at the end of the day, having two superstars is a good start.

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Wilson wasn't coming back if we sign melo. Felton was kinda of a 2 year rental and Gallo to most people is a 1 trick pony.

Yup we ****ed up real bad.

Better question is did heats mess up claiming to win 7 championships over the summers

NYtilIdie
03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
No, like JVG said, the hardest part in building a franchise is getting 2 star players, we've completed the hard part, now its easy from here we just need to add the proper role players.

Oh, and a new coach.

nycericanguy
03-30-2011, 05:59 PM
What do you guys think?

Melo was a Knick in 2011-2012 regardless. He wanted NY all along. Denver got 3 legit starters in Felton, Chandler and Gallo. Those three pieces could have STAYED with the Knicks AND they would have Melo in 2011-2012.

Let's face it, they were not going to win a title this season with or without Melo, and they traded 3 trading chips that could have gotten them that third piece of the Big 3.

If that were the case obviously NY doesn't make the trade. I'm sure NY had other insider info that was a bit more reliable then yours.

Melo didn't help matters either because he wanted the extension AND NY.

NYKSpiritBomb
03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
They enhanced their future. They weren't going anywhere with those group of players, let's see what they can get in the offseason. You always grab the stars when you can get them.

bravo, seems at least most the heat fans understand where the knicks are coming from.

Rome
03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Theres no way the Knicks "messed up" their future. You're good if you have two superstars on your team moving forward. Sure they're not winning it this year, but what if they learn to play more team basketball, hire a better defensive oriented coach, and acquire a big somehow? They'll be fine one way or another, we can sit around and say they made a mistake in trading Gallo, Chandler, Felton, blah blah all day, but in the end, they had to do it, and they'll be alright.

No doubt Denver got some talent, but so did the knicks :eyebrow: No messing up with two talents like that. A big would help. Couple moves could put em up there.

Crackadalic
03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Another knick thread? Awesome

He wasnt gonna sign in the summer. He told Donnie that it wasnt possible because he wasnt sure how much money he would lose knowing the cba is coming up.

Wilson is gone either way, Felton was gone by 2012 anyway and he was sucking badly for 2 months, Mozzy is a big ? despite him possibly a good starting center, Gallo doesnt come close to Melo so its not that big of a deal, and Anthony Randolph doesnt know how to play well in a constructed system despite him playing well as of late

championships
03-30-2011, 06:12 PM
No way. The Knicks have the right foundation to work with now. They just have to add the right pieces that fits Melo and Amares game along with a couple of defensive minded players. Give it a year, maybe two at the most, and the Knicks will be up there with the big dogs.

naztrack
03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Awesome, more threads like this please!

:laugh:

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
What do you guys think?

IF anything its denver because they cant keep those guys they have now

the knicks is a work in progress .

judge the knicks next year ,we dont have not one center on the roster ..we get out rebounded every single game

jimm120
03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
What do you guys think?

Yes, this was the 2nd worst option in all this.

The worst one? Not getting Melo.

I think everyone KNEW that the smart thing was:

Trade for Melo cheaply now
or
Don't trade for melo now.
Sign him in the offseason.
Use the trade chips (Wilson's RFA signing, Gallo, Randolph, Felton, etc) to trade for the #3 guy.

This way was the 2nd worst option.

but hey, whatever. Dolan got involved and we started to do deals like were done since Ewing got traded for crap players with bloated contracts.

Young and Stupid
I've stated this on multiple occasions, but I'll do it again because this seems like an appropriate place:

Let me preface this by saying that despite being a Nets fan, I root for the Knicks to succeed; so much so that I've been called a "closet Knicks fan" by many Nets fans. Much of that comes from the fact that I'm a New Yorker, but a segment of it results from my belief that the NBA is better when the Knicks are playing well.

Having said that (Curb fans), I really think the Knicks ****ed themselves with the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony. That's not to say that D'Antoni's coaching philosophy isn't also at fault -- you're not going to win in this league unless you put an emphasis on defense -- but even with a better coach running the show I'm of the belief that the Knicks would be unable to compete with the NBA's top-tier teams.

Melo and Stat make up one of the best offensive tandems in the league, but their style of play doesn't necessarily translate to playoff success. I think the Knicks need another piece (and a change of philosophy) if they want to vie for a championship. That brings me to the Knicks' most glaring issue -- the lack of upward mobility. Although we can't necessarily predict the constraints of the new CBA down to the dot, it's fair to assume that the cap will not be significantly higher than it is now. The Knicks have two players on the books tied up for roughly $40 million (when cap holds are taking into consideration), as a result they lack the ability to marginally improve the roster (whether it be through a trade or signing free-agents). There are many delusional Knicks fans who are of the belief that they're still bringing in another max-player, but the truth of the matter is that they won't have room.

I think the Knicks are going to be like the Hawks (slightly better though); they'll compete every year, but they won't have enough to capture a championship. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't see the Knicks reaching the finals as currently constructed. We'll see.

PhillyFaninLA
Holy Christ!!! MORE knick threads please they all seem so well thought out!

Hey hey hey be nice its not like the Knicks have a separate forum page for these type of discussions.

Punk
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
:laugh2:

What's with the obbession with the Knicks. Seriously? It's getting pathetic now. We improved our team. It's quite clear, PSA posters would rather see the Knicks as a lottery team.

There is no way in hell, Melo can be a Top 10 player last year and now he's a Knick everyone calls him at top 15-20? Seriously?

Now we messed up our future? Gallo was not a franchise player. He even admitted it.

Wilson Chandler wasn't staying if we did sign Melo in free agency. Felton wouldn't have stayed if we landed Paul in 2012.

Mozgov still had a ton of development to go. Although he should plenty of it before the All-Star break.

And in terms of 2012, according to Donnie Walsh. We will still have enough cap space to sign Chris Paul depending on how the cap goes. Now, If we don't want too, we can sign Billups and add other free agents to improve our bench and Center position.

Either way we will be MUCH better going forward. Enough with these senseless threads?

hugepatsfan
03-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know of they "messed" anything up, but I do believe they paniced and didn't maximize their future. No way should they have traded for Melo IMO.

RC3
03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
YES They gave up too much especially the great danilo gallinari who has one good game out of every 10 games. Gallinari is God. His 35 % 3 pt percentage is so great. IMO he is a better shooter than ray allen. He has his bad shooting nights but who cares, shooters are supposed to keep on shooting. :rolleyes: Only player I missed was chandler and felton a little.

The BodyGuard
03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Naww, They'll be Ight

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Everyone just assumes he would've signed with NY ne ways, but I'm not to sure... The Knicks did the smart thing, because with the new cba the contract Melo would've missed on might have been too much to pass up even if it means he says in Den...

More-Than-Most
03-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes....Yes...Yes... Not because of what they gave up but because of who they have and what they got... Amare is good but he is a 1 dimensional player as is melo...They will be paying them both max money for 2 players whom cant play defense and that is not a good set up to win a championship or go deep in the playoffs. I have no bias and felt sorry for knicks fans when this trade happened. As a sixer fan it makes me happy but Melo was not the answer.

CLASSOF72
03-30-2011, 08:05 PM
I think the Knick gave up alot for Melo, but when you got a shot at that kind of player you don't fukaround. A bird in the hand.............

Kashmir13579
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
well it comes down to if a core of 'Melo and Amar'e can win a chip. Gallo was a good player. he may or may not have turned into something special. Chandler was gone anyway after this season. he's due for a contract that the Knicks weren't prepared to pay one way or another.

i personally think the trade will turn out to be a bad move. but i gotta have faith.

bringbackfredex
03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Dear Knicks Fans,

You are currently getting **** on by the Nets. Stop defending yourselves at least for the next few days.

Sincerely,
The rest of us who can't stand your homerism.

Knicks21
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Couldn't of said it any better.

John Walls Era
03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Record wise... they messed up their present too.

Their future is better though.

towlsmoke420
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
knicks raped themselves . they wont be able to get a big 3. but yeah the other big s's are laughing at them

sportscrazed
03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
no

d00d
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
:horse::horse::horse:

JSportsBullies
03-30-2011, 09:23 PM
If you think it was a bad move your probably just a Knicks hater. They had to do it. He wasn't coming after season period. They gave up a group of young players they are no where near the talent level of Carmelo.

The other big thing that no one here has said is that they also got Billups. They got the 2 best players in the deal and gave up a mediocre group. They aren't great now but they can be.

I see new coach in future as I agree Dantoni as much as like him will probably not work. I dream they could lure Phil Jackson there. Both Melo and STAT can play defense, they just need a coach and system where they have to.

This is a team for the future, I do think they can upset some in first round, like the heat, but that is it. I doubt that a situation similar to the NFL will happen in NBA. I also don't see the cap being an issue, there are too many teams and owners who wouldn't want that.

Because of this I think they can get another star next season or during next season. Howard, Paul, and Williams will all be on contract years next season. They are all most likely moving, unless Nets can do something with Williams. With all Paul's injuries his price could drop. Would love Howard but that is a pipe dream, unless Ewing can get his ear.

I think they are better set up then Heat with the team they have around them as of now, I would take the Knicks big 3 plus Fields and bench over the heat. The only glaring weakness is the center position. So lets watch and see what they do.

If you like what you read check out my Facebook page and podcast.
facebook.com/jsportsbullies and just search "jersey sports bullies" in the iTunes store.

CowboysKB24
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
What do you guys think?

No, they didn't. It was likely Melo would sign in NY after this season, but he risked the chance of losing his massive contract. He also was itching to get out of Denver and get this whole process over. Denver did not get three legit players. They are great role players, but are replaceable. If they were so legit, they would have had a better record than .500.

CowboysKB24
03-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Knicks have a lot of work to do. Melo and STAT are their future. They are both are in their primes. Knicks need a new coach and some defensive role players. People expect them to become an elite team over night. They have Melo and STAT and probably the worst coach for their team. Let's face it, Melo and STAT are not LBJ, Wade and Chris Bosh or KG, Pierce, Allen, and Rondo. They need to add another good solid player like a Gerald Wallace or some one in that caliber. They need some defensive players and a new coaching team. They are still rebuilding. They got the hard part done; get two top 10 players on one team. Now the second hardest part is finding the right role players to go along with them and coach that knows how to teach defense.

oak2455
03-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Dear Knicks Fans,

You are currently getting **** on by the Nets. Stop defending yourselves at least for the next few days.

Sincerely,

and the Final was:facepalm: probably wait til it was over sherlock :clap::clap:

goose15
03-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Boo-yah!! Yes, well maybe no.. yea no.

mttwlsn16
03-31-2011, 01:21 AM
this year definitely yes. but next year/2012 guys will want to play w melo and stat. so a year or 2 down the road, its a better move for the knicks. they gave up a lot, but itll pay out sooner rather than later

mttwlsn16
03-31-2011, 01:24 AM
Dear Knicks Fans,

Sincerely,

not a fan of nets/knicks, but dude youre gonna eat that statement hard core when d will leaves the nets.
nets gave up a sihtload for a year and a half of dwill, and will be back to the nets of 2009/2010 once he leaves :clap:

danniboi168
03-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Dear Knicks Fans,

Sincerely,

lmao where are u now?

xxcubs22xx
03-31-2011, 01:52 AM
:yawn:

Didn't this thread have a different title just a few days ago? lol

Mudvayne91
03-31-2011, 02:15 AM
IF anything its denver because they cant keep those guys they have now

the knicks is a work in progress .

judge the knicks next year ,we dont have not one center on the roster ..we get out rebounded every single game

I took this from someone else, but he explains it well

Mozgov is actually fully guaranteed next season. It's not until the season after that, 2012-13, that the final year of his contract is not fully guaranteed. So not only could the Nuggets not "release" him even if they wanted to (they'd have to buy him out), they certainly do not want to. As a 7-footer project, he's a building block in the (semi-) rebuilding process.

Both Chandler and Afflalo are restricted free agents, which means the Nuggets can retain them if they want to. A lot of people are making noise about Chandler not wanting to play in Denver (on really flimsy evidence, I would add), but the fact is that even if he wanted to play elsewhere the Nuggets can keep him around for at least a year longer if they choose to do so. And Afflalo will almost certainly re-sign with Denver.

Which leaves, as the real outstanding question marks, J.R. and Kenyon. I could see either or both of them signing with another team, but at the same time, I'd imagine both of them imagine their own value to be greater than their real market value. Or in other words, both think they're All-Star caliber players deserving of a matching salary, but both also have depressed values in the league, J.R. by his behavioral/legal/attitude issues, and Kenyon by his age and injury history.

As for guaranteed players who may want to be traded (Felton) or who most Nuggets fans would like to see traded (Harrington, Birdman), the chances are that the difficult-to-move contracts (the latter two) won't budge in the offseason, and that Karl and the Nuggets value Felton too much (even if he'd rather be elsewhere) to let him go too quickly.

Not sure where you're getting we can't retain the players.